How do footballers live in countries where they don't know the language for years?

Redfrog

It's the same in reverse as well, korean, japanese and chinese struggle learning a language (other than english) that use the latin alphabet.

Japanese themselves struggle with english, it's even harder when they try to learn another language that use a latin alphabet like spanish or italian, 10 times worse at least.

The only european language that it's relatively easy to learn for everybody is english, because it's simpler and has way less grammatic rules than swedish,hungarian,spanish,polish,french,german,etc
Many pick up english, over any other language, not only because is more useful, but also because it's way easier from a non-european perspective.
Yeah, this langages are very far away from indo-european langages. It’s not only the alphabet but the words origins and sonorities. Chinese, corean, vietnamian, Japanese people cannot hear and prononce a lot of our sounds, as we can’t theirs.
About english, you are probably right and that’s precisely why there is and was a cultural domination around the word (as well as there was the Great British empire) . It’s just so much easier.

JSArsenal

You lot would be suprised at how many English and American working overseas not even bothering to learn basic language skill.

Some Embassy worker has been attached to Embassy for years and still fails basic Indonesian.

Wouldnt be so arrogant if i were OP. Most of us here are at least billingual
Didn't mean to come across arrogant at all. I know a lot of people are bilingual. That's why it's "easier" for English people to live abroad because the locals may know at least rudimentary English.

I see what people are saying, that they'll likely find other native speakers and gravitate towards them, live in a bubble of sorts.

I guess I made this thread because for me, I'd feel out of place living somewhere without being able to speak the language. Then again I'm not a millionaire footballer.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
A footballer living somewhere that they don't/can't/won't speak the local language for a few years is nothing.

I know people in Canada whose grandparents arrived here in the 60s and they still didn't speak any English after 40 odd years.

Redfrog

I'm even much worse than you, I live in Malaysia since 2002, and can only speak less than basic Malaysian (Malay), lots of people here (I live in KL) speak English and I get by just fine, of course there are parts of Malaysia where you won't survive unless you learn a basic level of the local language but KL is quite urban with a lot of foreigners living in it and a big number of multinational companies where people work at, or international and local colleges/Unis where English is the medium language for education so English is spoken quite prominently.

I also didn't bother to learn the local language tbh so it's mostly my fault but I'm lucky I can manage without it, also I speak 3 languages already so my brain probably doesn't have enough capacity to process a 4th language
Your brain have more capacities to learn another langage if you speak already 3. I just think Malaysian is much far away as a langage from what your are used too.

Redfrog

Didn't mean to come across arrogant at all. I know a lot of people are bilingual. That's why it's "easier" for English people to live abroad because the locals may know at least rudimentary English.

I see what people are saying, that they'll likely find other native speakers and gravitate towards them, live in a bubble of sorts.

I guess I made this thread because for me, I'd feel out of place living somewhere without being able to speak the language. Then again I'm not a millionaire footballer.
It depends of your personality I think. The ones who are open to travel and discovery, who have the curiosity will learn without problems because they will want to meet the locals and know their ways. But others are more confortable at home and don’t like that. Quite a few footballers will rather stay at home and are just moving abroad for work and not to discover anything. So even if I will learn the local language, I can understand footballers who don’t care.

Redfrog

A footballer living somewhere that they don't/can't/won't speak the local language for a few years is nothing.

I know people in Canada whose grandparents arrived here in the 60s and they still didn't speak any English after 40 odd years.
Yeah, there is quite a few of them in every country. I don’t know how they do it !

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Plot twist: he lives in Quebec

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yeah, there is quite a few of them in every country. I don’t know how they do it !
I think it occurs mostly when there are large waves of immigration from countries that don't have a prior association with the destination. In Canada's case that is especially applicable to Italian and Greek immigrants who tended to stick together and forn tight knit communities where a person could manage most of their day to day activities with little to no English.

Plot twist: he lives in Quebec
:lol:

NewYorkRed

Its called being rich. Money does indeed talk, and if you can’t, it’ll do that talking for you.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I know people who have lived here (Spain) for over a decade and can’t string a sentence together in Spanish. It’s easier than you think to get by, but it must be pretty depressing not understanding the life that goes by you.

Abraxas

I think a pampered lifestyle is the answer. There is nothing to particularly push some footballers into learning all the nuances of a language. If they have a rudimentary grasp that is enough to mix with teammates and understand footballing terms (and they'll often have people who speak their language anyway) that's probably enough. No real need to engage with Joe Public.

It's not that hard is it. They get up, drive into work, they're waited on and cooked for while there, they go home, they have their own family and connections often brought with them that will serve the social element, they'll have assistants doing all the cooking, food buying, getting them whatever they need. It's never likely to be an issue. A bit sad that they may not choose to engage with a country perhaps, but not problematic to them.

flameinthesun

On the english is easy because it has less rules point, having learned Spanish and spent summers with my partner's family and friends in spain English is definitely not as easy grammatically as we engiish speakers think. The nature of English being a bastard of different heritages means the rules and vocabulary of English is all over the place. You will have one way of pronouncing an english word because it came from french and another way of prouncing a word because it came from the germanic branch.

Also the rules in a language like spanish for example can be helpful in giving you guardrails when learning, Spanish pronunciation of letters is also consistent, every a is pronounced as an A, whereas in English it can depend on what word and where that word came from.

As others have said learning a language requires putting in time to learn it, I would imagine most footballers just dont make an effort to learn. But as you see with Tammy and Tomori in general if they want to they can because they will have access to the best language tutors everyday and more importantly be immersed everyday in the language.

Moorie86

I find that most make the effort to learn the language when they arrive here or know some. More respect for anyone going the other way and learning a new language.

I know Ryan Gauld who went to Portugal is Now fluent in Portuguese

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
OP says 4+ years, which is about the average length of a contract (4 to 5 years), but generally speaking, a whole load of those players are on the move to a different league or back to their home league within half that timeframe. That can probably dampen a player's desire to begin learning (or learning past very basic phrases).

Why should I begin to learn French if I'll move from Ligue 1 to the PL in 2 seasons? Why should I learn English if I'm going back to the Bundesliga in 3? etc...
Helps if you want to become a manager I guess although of course a player in early 20s wouldn't have that mindset unless injured already a few times.

Guardiola could speak English very fluently while at Barca so that opened doors for him (aswell as winning everything obviously). Pretty sure De Zebri can speak English o.k despite him never playing in England.

We've seen in recent times Neville and Moyes going to Spain and really struggling to communicate their ideas to press and players so that's where thinking ahead can help.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Learning languages quickly comes from one or many from:

- Aptitude
- Need
- Desire
Plus young age. Kids learn a new language in weeks, if need be. Well, kids can learn anything quickly I guess, shame we only realize that when we grow up.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
It's simple IMO, if you don't need to learn it you don't learn it.

A quick example, if you take the train everywhere and the metro/underground/subway is right by your house you may never learn to drive.

With language it's not hard to learn new languages, it's largely exposure and routine to practice. But if you have say translators at the club, or your family and neighbourhood all speak your native tongue then you don't learn it.

You may know basic words for your workplace: Pass, Shoot, Ball, Training and so on but beyond that you won't bother to learn.

If the player is plunged into a club academy at 16 without their family around them, they're not married, no kids and they leave say Venezuela to come and play then they'll learn the language fast, because they have to.

If you are literally uprooting a family and you're 25 you might opt not to, if its a 3 year gig and you plan on leaving you might not bother because it's not "long term".

Put it this way, I live in a Spanish speaking country right now but it's for a year, two years, my wife speaks English and I don't really need to learn much because I work for an English speaking country. I will learn at some point but it's not pressing.

Whereas before I had a stint in Norway I was alone for 6 months and I picked up a lot of Norwegian, It depends if you have someone that facilitates you not to learn or not need to.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
On the english is easy because it has less rules point, having learned Spanish and spent summers with my partner's family and friends in spain English is definitely not as easy grammatically as we engiish speakers think. The nature of English being a bastard of different heritages means the rules and vocabulary of English is all over the place. You will have one way of pronouncing an english word because it came from french and another way of prouncing a word because it came from the germanic branch.

Also the rules in a language like spanish for example can be helpful in giving you guardrails when learning, Spanish pronunciation of letters is also consistent, every a is pronounced as an A, whereas in English it can depend on what word and where that word came from.

As others have said learning a language requires putting in time to learn it, I would imagine most footballers just dont make an effort to learn. But as you see with Tammy and Tomori in general if they want to they can because they will have access to the best language tutors everyday and more importantly be immersed everyday in the language.
English is a pain in the ass to learn for sure, everything we write isn't pronounced as it's written so learners have to rote memorise pronunciations.

Spanish is literally as it's written which makes it a lot easier.

Obviously with English a huge plus is that there's so much content in terms of TV, Books and Music which makes it a lot easier to "live in English" for a few months to pick it up.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Plus young age. Kids learn a new language in weeks, if need be. Well, kids can learn anything quickly I guess, shame we only realize that when we grow up.
Oh, absolutely no doubt about that. My partner's niece was 6 (she's just turned 9) when she first heard Japanese via me going through audio lessons and her colouring in her colouring book seemingly paying what I was doing no mind. English - Japanese and vice versa, English not even being her native language (but she's basically immersed in it via Youtube child shows etc.), and answering questions on the revision cue that were far from easy. I took it upon myself to start challenging her with more info per day (colours, counting numbers, days etc.) and she was retaining the information with ease. I'm not around her frequently enough to really push the envelope, but I'm sure she'd have whatever taught locked in far easier than the incessant drilling repetition I have to go through.

It's obvious that kids can assimilate language with ease, but to witness it in person is something else.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
"Hey Google! How do coaches deliver stirring speeches at half time if half the dressing room doesn't speak the language?"

"I don't know. Ask RedCafe"

Last edited:

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Simple, they barely leave the house and the season schedule is tenuous (travel etc)

Then they spend their entire off-season in their home countries speaking their language.

But they do grasp the basics of the language I think

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Simple, they barely leave the house and the season schedule is tenuous (travel etc)

Then they spend their entire off-season in their home countries speaking their language.

But they do grasp the basics of the language I think
The coach readies himself for a motivational talk that will be remembered through the ages.

"You! Stop ball. Head, OK? Stop ball. You kick. To him. You! Kick ball, goal! Go!"

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Sheltered with obscene wealth living a life of decadence and luxury.

devil99

Players don't want to get banned like Cavani could be a major reason

flameinthesun

Oh, absolutely no doubt about that. My partner's niece was 6 (she's just turned 9) when she first heard Japanese via me going through audio lessons and her colouring in her colouring book seemingly paying what I was doing no mind. English - Japanese and vice versa, English not even being her native language (but she's basically immersed in it via Youtube child shows etc.), and answering questions on the revision cue that were far from easy. I took it upon myself to start challenging her with more info per day (colours, counting numbers, days etc.) and she was retaining the information with ease. I'm not around her frequently enough to really push the envelope, but I'm sure she'd have whatever taught locked in far easier than the incessant drilling repetition I have to go through.

It's obvious that kids can assimilate language with ease, but to witness it in person is something else.
There are some studies that say whilst a kids brain is definitely more malleable to learning things quickly, if you give a 6/8/10yo and a 30yo 6 months of equal learning time of a new language, the 30yo would learn more of the language and quicker. Which makes sense because as an adult you already understand what grammar is, you understand certain concepts of speech, you already have a wide library of vocabulary at your disposal. So you just need to focus on how the new language is structured etc. Which becomes even easier if its a romance or germanic language for an english speaker.

But generally in the day to day we don't have as much time as a child to dedicate to learning a language and tend to choose when and where we want to learn, whereas the child is pretty much always in learning mode. So if anyone was interested in learning a new language you shouldn't be put off by your age, it can actually be an advantage, you just gotta put in the time.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
English is not really used in Spain or France, at all. Most people simply dont speak the language.
Spanish level of English is generally poor but I wouldn't say the language is not used. Spain's biggest industry is tourism.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Spanish level of English is generally poor but I wouldn't say the language is not used. Spain's biggest industry is tourism.
Yes, but the vast majority of the country still doesnt speak it, and even the hosts at the restaurants etc often have a at best rudamentary level of English. Of course nothing wrong with that, but I do belive that in general the amount of English speakers in the world outside of Northern Europe and USA/Canada are not that plentiful

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Yes, but the vast majority of the country still doesnt speak it, and even the hosts at the restaurants etc often have a at best rudamentary level of English. Of course nothing wrong with that, but I do belive that in general the amount of English speakers in the world outside of Northern Europe and USA/Canada are not that plentiful
According to the most recent poll I've seen, 27.7% of Spanish people say they speak some English. It's not a lot but I don't know that I'd say the 'vast majority' don't speak English. It is also likely to be skewed by age and region, so realistically a foreigner would not need to interact with the majority of the groups that speak English the least (retirees, rural people).

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
According to the most recent poll I've seen, 27.7% of Spanish people say they speak some English. It's not a lot but I don't know that I'd say the 'vast majority' don't speak English. It is also likely to be skewed by age and region, so realistically a foreigner would not need to interact with the majority of the groups that speak English the least (retirees, rural people).
If you poll any Indonesian they'd admit they speak English because it's mandatory at least 9 years of English education at school.

Truth is they speak no english other than google translate quality English.

Last edited:

Eriku

Exposure not necessarily make thinks easier though, or at least not as much as you suggest.

Languages like polish,hungarian,spanish,swedish, czech, etc are more difficult than english, cause they have more grammatical rules to remember, at least if you want to speak them properly, not in a scuffed way.

I lived in Prague and struggled to learn more than the very basic czech, so i just kept the english, as it was enough to at least survive.

I'm not, but met a few asian students in Prague, almost all of them gave up on czech, and kept the english, their own words " it's way easier".
You getting all this from your anecdotal experience? Because linguistics has plenty of signs pointing the other way. Exposure starts as early as in the womb, as it’s been shown that French and German babies come out crying at different pitches.

There’s also the fact that if you haven’t been exposed to sounds outside your native language by age 5-6, when the myelination process ends, you’ll find it pretty much impossible to shed a foreign accent.

And what’s a hard language to learn and what’s not definitely has to do with its proximity to your native language. The more removed it is in terms of sound, structure, etymology, the harder it tends to be. This is without significant exposure at a young age, obviously.

Bondi77

It would be a bigger issue for the managers I reckon as it would be beneficial for them to have one on one conversations with their players.

Eriku

There are some studies that say whilst a kids brain is definitely more malleable to learning things quickly, if you give a 6/8/10yo and a 30yo 6 months of equal learning time of a new language, the 30yo would learn more of the language and quicker. Which makes sense because as an adult you already understand what grammar is, you understand certain concepts of speech, you already have a wide library of vocabulary at your disposal. So you just need to focus on how the new language is structured etc. Which becomes even easier if its a romance or germanic language for an english speaker.

But generally in the day to day we don't have as much time as a child to dedicate to learning a language and tend to choose when and where we want to learn, whereas the child is pretty much always in learning mode. So if anyone was interested in learning a new language you shouldn't be put off by your age, it can actually be an advantage, you just gotta put in the time.
I’d say another huge advantage kids have is that they’re way less likely to be too embarassed to try. Even in Norway I know adults that are scared to use English but whose floodgates’ll open if you get them drunk. Kids tend to try and fail at language without getting particularly worked up about it.

hodgey123

I was in Spain last week and returning to England I had this thought. Whenever you go abroad, a lot of the signs in airports etc. have signs translated into common languages. In England, I have never seen any other languages used. Is it English arrogance/ignorance or just actual reality that a lot of the population can speak our language?

I can speak and understand Spanish to a competent level to survive so I would speak first in Spanish and then if got stuck try their English. The Spanish people seemed to appreciate that. I don't know how footballers in particular would be able to survive and perform if they cannot understand what their manager or teammates may be saying to them.

ScholesyTheWise

Aside from other things that have already been mentioned, you have to take their self-confidence into account.
it's very easy to feel very dumb and have your self-esteem highly affected, when you try to say some basic things in a foreign language and the locals don't understand shit. (I speak several languages and have gone through these feelings time and time again. it's always annoying)

So these young millionaires who're treated like kings wherever they go have to break their neck ordering a takeaway in a foreign language.
I bet most of them, esp those who don't have a knack for languages, are tempted to just say 'feck it' and have some local guy take care of everything for them.

Also, understanding a language and speaking it are two different things. I bet people like Antonio Valencia or Kun Aguero understand English to a quite decent level, even if they can't or won't be arsed to speak it.

they were surrounded by English for large parts of their days for so many years, that it's virtually impossible for them not to have grasped at least some of the language's structures and vocab. Same goes for Bale and Spanish.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I was in Spain last week and returning to England I had this thought. Whenever you go abroad, a lot of the signs in airports etc. have signs translated into common languages. In England, I have never seen any other languages used. Is it English arrogance/ignorance or just actual reality that a lot of the population can speak our language?
The problem is, which language do you translate them into?

In a London train station, should you choose French, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Hindi, Urdu, Arabic?

Furthermore, English is not only for the benefit of Brits and Americans but for many other foreigners who speak English as a second language

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Well, footballers are all young so that's in their favour. From my own experience, being able to speak another language when you're not a natural polyglot is kind of contextual. I can talk reasonably well to the doctor as I know that we're talking about medical stuff. Same with the mechanic and car stuff, even though he's a dialect speaker. What I find difficult is when people are just chatting, as everyone does. It's often fairly incomprehensible to me.

I'd imagine that footballers who don't speak the language get used to the words and phrases they hear on the training ground, but many of them wouldn't be able to hold a conversation in a different arena.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

I can speak and understand Spanish to a competent level to survive so I would speak first in Spanish and then if got stuck try their English. The Spanish people seemed to appreciate that. I don't know how footballers in particular would be able to survive and perform if they cannot understand what their manager or teammates may be saying to them.
Probably the only time I'm going to use this example on the Cafe but in many McDonalds you have Polish or Albanian options for the self service machines! :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I love the way people assume all foreigners can speak English and thus they'll be fine.
Ignoring the fact that half the time us in the south can't even understand what Scousers, and other backward accents are saying within our own language structure.

Imagine coming over here and trying to work out some of the northern dialect like geordies, saying stuff like "telt wah" for "told you".
And describing stuff as "canny" and nonsense like that.