How do Real Madrid rebuild?

Threesus

It is Real Madrid. You had one of the worlds best attackers in Mbappe trying to get a move to Madrid, when he had a chance to play with Messi for a year. Their juice and reach is unmatched, as much as I hate to say it.
We can only dream of one day becoming like them.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The rebuilding of the team should be imperative, as we have been delaying it for quite some time. However, my issue with it is that it has yet to be established what direction we are heading. I don’t think it’s clear enough or maybe polished until some senior players run down it's contracts.

We keep signing younger players but have the wrong choices of management to develop them. Both Rodrygo and Vinicius seemed to me regressed last season. Some youngsters look more promising and equipped to succeed at the highest level. But, don’t think the right couching is there to bring out their best attributes on the pitch. People like Nagelsmann or Klopp will probably do it better.

I will start with our backline.

A quality RB it’s very much needed.

Carvajal is injury prone these days and Lucas Vazquez is a bang average winger reconverted into a RB.

LB

It looks well covered on paper so far with Mendy and a promising Miguel Gutierrez making its way up.

CB

To me it all depends on how we finish the season. Militao and Nacho worked together just fine last season, and now we have Alaba to cover up in case any of them pick up an injury. Vallejo is a liability as a 4 option and would rather had Chust instead but it is what it is.

Our midfield while great unit that functioned brilliantly together is on it’s way out. Camavinga is a good recruitment and having Kroos and Modric as your teachers will likely help him to improve its game. If anything, I will try to get Nico Barella to strengthening our midfield next season though. I don’t know why Pogba’s name is still associated with the club, when Zidane is already gone. He was who essentially had a hard on with the player and not the board.

As for our attack, assuming we get Mbappe, Haaland should be a priority still as I think there is a handful of scenarios to take into consideration. We haven’t had a quality striker in years and the best there is right now is the Norwegian. Benzema is 34 old, and for as talented as he is, you can’t possible pass on the opportunity to sign the best striker (for maybe years to come) and continue to play with Karim far more longer as a starter.

RW

It’s our weakest side in attack for sure with no first choices. Sancho was my first pick but was never an option for our board. Salah is also a good shout but I think he's going to stay at Liverpool and I doubt we'll ever be going in for him anyways. But, if we somehow get both Haaland and Mbappe, I won’t be too fazed since I have a recurrent scenario playing in my mind:

A front three of: Mbappe – Haaland – Vinicius running through defenders with pure speed and strength. :drool:

Regarding Vinicius.

I see no strong argument as to why we should let him go. He would have enough minutes of play and even getting him to rotate/play on both wings when needed or as a sub. His progression won’t be an issue. Hazard and Asensio on the other hand are deadweight and should be gone way before considering selling Vini first, in my opinion.
Vinicius is a bit shite on the right though, kinda like Marital (or Rashy to a lesser extent).

Pogba would be magnificent in a league where there's less pressure on the ball. Every non EPL team would be crazy not to go for him. You'd also have the perfect midfield balance with Casemiro and Cammavinga for him to thrive.

You seem very certain about some of the targets (Salah, Pogba) being unlikely, so I'll take your word for it. But I still think they make a lot of sense.

I don't think Mbappe, Haaland, Barella and a new RB in one window is realistic.

JoaquinJoaquin

I can't see them getting both Mbappe and Haaland.

I think they will get Mbappe and Pogba both on free transfers. Then if they spend around 150 million around the edges, they are basically back to a very high level. Because of the historical nature of the club, players will always want to go there. Plus it's living in Spain and a fantastic city, it's a no brainer.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
There's more pressure on the ball in Spain than England actually
Depends on what areas you're talking about. In the midfield not so much, that's why you have a huge list of n°8/10 who seem to perform very well in spain and who totally blew it in international competitions when they get more pressure. La Liga is pretty soft on midfielders, plenty of space there.

ghagua

They will sign Mbappe on a free and get Haaland pretty cheap with the buyout. They already signed Camavinga very cheaply compared to his potential. They can also try getting Pogba for free, but I just don't think they will bother with that. Real will find it easier to rebuild than other teams as players are willing to become free agents to go and play for them.

XFD

I don't see how anyone can say Real Madrid is in a 'rebuilding' phase right now. They still have a quality squad which will compete with Atletico Madrid for the La Liga title this season (unlike a certain El Clasico rival), and their enormous brand alone is enough for world class players to want to play for them

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
I would sign an LB, RB. Carvajal turns 30 in a few months and has been full of injuries for 2 years, I think it has been a big mistake to sell Achraf
Mendy is good defensive but attacking lacks a lot of quality, Marcelo is finished, Madrid can bring back to Reguilon and has a boy from Castilla.
Selling Theo may have been a mistake too, leave him on loan as you have done with other players.

I would sign a CB but it depends on how they perform this year. Maybe Koundé.

Madrid needs an organizer CM, Modric is already 35 and Kross is on his downhill
Isco is finished and it is his last year of contract, Ceballos should take a step forward to be able to have options to be a starter
Odegaard sold and Camavinga and Valverde are box to box.
Any team with a serious project should stay away from Pogba, very high salary plus signing bonus + Raiola
Pogba slows down the game a lot, makes a lot of bad decisions on the field, has a hard time going down to recover the ball and gets out of place easily.
Obviously he has good things but it does not compensate for the above.
In the attacking positions Madrid need someone on the right but we will have to see how the season develops

youmeletsfly

I think they need quite a few players:
- RB - Carvajal is injury prone
- LB - Mendy is injury prone and quite dogshit on the ball
- RW - Rodrygo & Bale are bad
- ST - Benzema would relish playing with a young striker who can allow him to drop deeper
- Backup CB

Florentino being Florentino will go tits out for Haaland and Mbappe next year. No chance for Pogba to go there as he's not a priority for them and they better save the wages for the young strikers.

Tallis

Apart from signing Camavinga and Militao, their transfers and appointments haven’t made any sense to me.

- Signing Jovic on ridiculously high wages
- Paying 120m euros for Hazard on his final year
- not letting Bale leave for China and paying his 600K Wages for 2 years
- Paying big money for 3 Brazilian wonder kids (1 or 2 would have been enough ?)
- Getting rid of three talented fullbacks and now seem to be short of fullbacks ?
- Blowing big money on Alaba wages vs investing in a younger Cb (Kounde, Romero)

Jaeger

Supports
Real Madrid
Vinicius is a bit shite on the right though, kinda like Marital (or Rashy to a lesser extent).

Pogba would be magnificent in a league where there's less pressure on the ball. Every non EPL team would be crazy not to go for him. You'd also have the perfect midfield balance with Casemiro and Cammavinga for him to thrive.

You seem very certain about some of the targets (Salah, Pogba) being unlikely, so I'll take your word for it. But I still think they make a lot of sense.

I don't think Mbappe, Haaland, Barella and a new RB in one window is realistic.
Oh yes, for sure playing him on the right, renders his direct dribbling threat, but the way I see it (while flawed) is that Vini can go over to the left and interchange with Mbappe. What I’m looking for, I guess is players in attack given license to move around without being limited to operate in one area of the pitch.

I don’t possess any inside knowledge in regards possible signings though, so don’t take my word for granted. It’s just that I’m more inclined to believe the board had no intention to sign Pogba in the past. It was just the media fabricating rumors using Zidane’s compliments for the player as a reason. You could be right though that he’ll thrive here and make up for an interesting midfield.

As for our window, and all within the assumption that we get Mbappe, a striker like Haaland is a necessity to replace Benzema either way. The ideal scenario is to sign both and look for a cheap and/or free signing after. The "worst" scenario is getting neither but that opens up the possibility to make either 2 or 3 logical signings to strengthen the team.
I would sign an LB, RB. Carvajal turns 30 in a few months and has been full of injuries for 2 years, I think it has been a big mistake to sell Achraf. Selling Theo may have been a mistake too, leave him on loan as you have done with other players.
I do too considered selling Achraf was a mistake especially with Carva underperforming + injuried, and no good back up. The reality is that we have weakened that position to save money for Mbappe. It seems the board have made up their mind that we don't need anybody else with Lucas and Carvajal renovating. Theo never worked for us though, so selling him was a good decision.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Oh yes, for sure playing him on the right, renders his direct dribbling threat, but the way I see it (while flawed) is that Vini can go over to the left and interchange with Mbappe. What I’m looking for, I guess is players in attack given license to move around without being limited to operate in one area of the pitch.
The problem with that is time. Vini absolutely can't do what you're outlining right now. Reason he plays so much better on the left is because he more or less knows how to play there. But at the moment that's all he knows. He'd need to learn how to play without the point of contact that is the left-side touchline. So unless Mbappé agrees to play mostly through the right, or we go with an asymmetrical attack, there's no real place for him. On top of that, Mbappé+Haaland changes the timetable, we simply won't have 2-3 years to wait on Vini

I don’t possess any inside knowledge in regards possible signings though, so don’t take my word for granted. It’s just that I’m more inclined to believe the board had no intention to sign Pogba in the past. It was just the media fabricating rumors using Zidane’s compliments for the player as a reason. You could be right though that he’ll thrive here and make up for an interesting midfield.
Pogba at like €25-30M/Y including agent fees might be too good to pass up, especially with the ages of Modric and Kroos - though he's a very different player to either

I do too considered selling Achraf was a mistake especially with Carva underperforming + injuried, and no good back up. The reality is that we have weakened that position to save money for Mbappe. It seems the board have made up their mind that we don't need anybody else with Lucas and Carvajal renovating. Theo never worked for us though, so selling him was a good decision.
Theo spent one season with us and then one on loan before we sold him. Though it's true his general attitude was the problem, so even in hindsight I can't criticise it. As for Hakimi, rather than selling him - which we needed to, really, plus the player pushed for it for whatever reason - the real, incomprehensible mistake was sending him out on loan and then blow €30M on Odriozola in the same summer. Sending a young player out to play and then replacing him with another young player for big money will only ever make sense if the replacement is an all-world, unmissable talent, which Odriozola quite clearly never was...

I do agree we need to sign a new RWB though. That, a regista and either a LWB or CB, depending on Alaba, should be our priorities over the next 4 transfer windows

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Also it's fairly common knowledge that the reported salaries of your top players is a fraction of what they truly earn under the table.
Wanting that to be true really doesn't make it so.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Apart from Haaland's data wanting a part of fee, every other thing is common in every transfer.
There's nothing common about a €40m agent fee and I hope it stays that way.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There's nothing common about a €40m agent fee and I hope it stays that way.
Agent fee is part of the transfer, yes it's a huge fee just like how few players command higher wages than others. Lets see what's the actual numbers, people love inflating numbers.

ForeverRed1

Camavinga, pogba, mbappe, haaland.
Camavinga is already done.. the other three will follow next summer. Pogba and mbappe both being free. Haaland will be cheap for who he is. Unbelievable but agent fees and wages will be astronomical :eek:

Tallis

Raiola wants €1m per week for Haaland. Let’s say he settled for €800K. Mbappe is currently at around €500K per week. I assume he will also want Haaland type wages so that’s another €800K. Pog is on £290k currently - I think he will want around €450-500k. Total wages of around €2m pw. Add on Haaland Transfer fee of €67m and sign on for other two of around €30m for each of Mbappe and Pog to make it around €130m.

That’s not terrible and beyond RM. Think Bale (600k), Modric (300k?), Isco and Marcelo are on last year of contracts. Jovic may want to leave too at some point.

Last edited:

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
So that means teams like Leverkusen or Bayern are the best pressing up in the final third? That would be the conclusion if every team faced the same opponents the same amount of times in a season.

Interesting graph nonetheless.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Agent fee is part of the transfer, yes it's a huge fee just like how few players command higher wages than others. Lets see what's the actual numbers, people love inflating numbers.
It seems reasonable to assume that it'll be at least the same fee United had to pay that parasite to get the Pogba deal across the line.

roonster09

Scout
It seems reasonable to assume that it'll be at least the same fee United had to pay that parasite to get the Pogba deal across the line.
We didn't pay, Juventus paid as Raiola/Pogba had the clause which meant they get 25% from the total fee, clause Juve agreed when they signed Pogba on free transfer.

Do they have similar clause for Haaland? Didn't see any reports saying they do.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
We didn't pay, Juventus paid as Raiola/Pogba had the clause which meant they get 25% from the total fee, clause Juve agreed when they signed Pogba on free transfer.

Do they have similar clause for Haaland? Didn't see any reports saying they do.
Iirc you did pay the agent fees, split with juventus, which were separate from the % of transfer fee

roonster09

Scout
Iirc you did pay the agent fees, split with juventus, which were separate from the % of transfer fee
Yeah just like any other transfer we paid agent fee, which is different from the 25% fee that Juventus paid.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Sign Haaland, then Mbappe, Pogba ,Goretzka and Antonio Rüdiger for free next summer.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The feck they playing at?! :lol: Has to be one of the shock results in CL for a long time.

Feels a bit like 2006-09 period currently. Still have some good players on paper but general 11 past their best but they can't sign any elite players so just stagnating and long way off winning the CL.

OleBoiii

Just saw this, wtf.

They really lost at home with a strengthened team versus a team I've never heard about called Sheriff with a sheriff star as their crest :lol:

432JuanMata

They are nowhere near a few years ago but they are doing fine this season bar this upset.
Sheriff should never be winning them matches but anyone watching them beat Shaktar knew they are a good side

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The feck they playing at?! :lol: Has to be one of the shock results in CL for a long time.

Feels a bit like 2006-09 period currently. Still have some good players on paper but general 11 past their best but they can't sign any elite players so just stagnating and long way off winning the CL.
Eh, was one of those games where their keeper's body was magnetised to the ball, we missed sitters, several times by hitting the keeper in the face, and then they score a worldie at the end

shit happens :lol:

Foxbatt

Just saw this, wtf.

They really lost at home with a strengthened team versus a team I've never heard about called Sheriff with a sheriff star as their crest :lol:
The Sheriff was much quicker on the draw.

Jaxa

I'm calling it right now, Pogba will join Madrid next season,

I think they are going to go big next summer with a Galactico like rebuild, they will 100% have the funds especially if they had 180m to spend on Mbappe this season.

They have spent 28m in 2 seasons on Camavinga only and made about 145m in sales, got rid of of Ramos who was on big wages and at the end of this season Bale will be gone freeing up more cash, potentially Hazard too.

In's: Mbappe, Pogba, De Light as their 3 big names with a few others, Raheem Sterling maybe ?
Outs: Bale, Isco, Jovic, I am sure they'd love to get rid of Hazard also but similar to Bale who is paying his wages or any sort of decent transfer fee ?

laughtersassassin

They will rebuild and be a champion League force before we will

The sad fact is they are a football club so will make it work as quick as possible while we may eventually become a champion ls League force again but we will always be held back by how our club is run.

But yeah they'll get Pogba and Mbappe which is a brilliant pairing. No Midfielder is better to play behind Mbappe.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
They will rebuild and be a champion League force before we will

The sad fact is they are a football club so will make it work as quick as possible while we may eventually become a champion ls League force again but we will always be held back by how our club is run.

But yeah they'll get Pogba and Mbappe which is a brilliant pairing. No Midfielder is better to play behind Mbappe.
If they are so well run, how did they let the team get to this state on the pitch and financially? Just sayin...