How do we sell Harry Maguire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB7

I don't see much unreasonable in this opinion. I visited my grandmother's grave last week; I didn't have anyone take a series of pictures of me doing somber poses while I was there.
Feel free to think it was a genuine attempt at engaging with the clubs history. I think it was a pr stunt and quite a cynical one at that.
I've got a picture of the time I visited Manchesterplatz, I had to wait for another guy having their photo taken to finish before I could have my picture taken too. And there was another person, much much older than me, waiting for me to have my picture taken so they could have a photo taken. Etc. And the pub down the road from the memorial was packed with reds presumably who had been to pay their respects too (given there is literally no other reason to visit that part of town). I suppose we all just did it for the PR rather than to record that we'd visited an important place in club history.

sdb4884

I'm sure a club like Newcastle would take him on loan with paying 60-70% of his wage, kind of like a project type thing to be the ones to resurrect his career. He can't play for us next season as i'm sure we are definitley looking to get someone to partner Varane and we already have Lindelof as a backup.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Never knew about this memorial, looks nice and somber.
A great tribute to those who lost their lives on that fateful night.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Still nobody has said what good PR he got out of this.

phelans shorts

Genuine question, what’s this based on? Aside Maguire, I think fans put too much into people we see for 90 mimutes once, rarely twice a week, & in heavily doctored PR pieces. I don’t rate Maguire the player but I don’t delve into who he is as a person because shouldn’t the focus be on what we see on the pitch. Maybe I’m wrong & you’ve met him but this forum is quick to label players good or bad based on very little information which isn’t good in any walk of life.

I do believe tgg he at far too many fans have took the struggles of the team & made it personal against far too many of our players though, & that includes Maguire in a number of instances.
Plenty of reasons to think Maguire seems a decent lad to be fair, including:
https://www.bigissue.com/news/harry...e-network-for-elderly-people-in-his-hometown/

EDIT: this obviously isn’t to say such charity work is indicative of some kind of angel, but in the absence of evidence to the contrary it’s about all we have to work with.

Last edited:

HookedOnAPhelan

Do not try and sell Harry Maguire. That’s impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth: there is no Harry Maguire.

U99ted

Last few years has increased my respect for Liverpool fans a lot. They are too optimistic to the point that they are deluded but it's so much better than the toxic nature of this fanbase.

There are few idiots who abuse players at every club but I don't remember the situation like this at any PL club.
Of course you won't remember this situation at any other PL club. You don't support them, therefore you won't follow their comments as closely. I bet a deep dive into RAWK during their lean times or Bluemoon would reveal stuff that rivals what we sometimes see here. And that's without City/Liverpool rolling over 4-0/5-0/4-1 like we did.

Bebe

How do you know if someone took photos and posted them without him even asking? You don't know if he even noticed or objected to it. He's not posted these images himself.

The likely scenario is that he didn't specifically ask for photos but was also fine with them being taken. He gets photographed all the time, it probably barely registers with him anymore.

Either way, nobody knows the details behind it but they're always quick to jump towards the negative conclusion.
The tweet I saw from Henry Winter said that Maguire had gone to the memorial accompanied by a sole FA official. It also said that Maguire wanted to go when it was quiet. I'd assumed the FA guy took the pics. I don't think tourists or passersby took the pictures.

In fairness, you're completely right about nobody knowing details and jumping to negative conclusions, and that he hasn't posted them himself. I do still think its cynical (perhaps not on Maguire but on Winter's part). I don't hate Maguire as much as some on here seem to, but I do think the "captain leader legend, chest thumping english mentality" perception of him has hugely inflated his status as a footballer and within our club. I'm sure you can see how reading that tweet, given the perception I've just described, makes some of us roll our eyes.

Lyng

Still nobody has said what good PR he got out of this.
Given the statements our players have been giving on instagram etc in the past season, I honestly dont think anyone involved with United PR know what they are doing.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Andy Mitten has doubled down on the rumour that came out yesterday that Barcelona have asked about the availability of Maguire and we've turned them away:
Barcelona also asked about the availability of central defender Harry Maguire, but Ten Hag wants to work with the England international and United have no interest in selling him. Barcelona’s central defence has been an issue for the club, with top-earner Gerard Pique now 35, while Samuel Umtiti and Clement Lenglet are expected to leave having been unable to establish themselves in the side.
"Barca are in for Maguire" sounds like a bad joke in a caf shitpost... but Mitten is a fairly reliable source. If this is true and we see the same Maguire this season as we had last. :houllier:

UnitedFire

Andy Mitten has doubled down on the rumour that came out yesterday that Barcelona have asked about the availability of Maguire and we've turned them away:

"Barca are in for Maguire" sounds like a bad joke in a caf shitpost... but Mitten is a fairly reliable source. If this is true and we see the same Maguire this season as we had last. :houllier:
I don’t understand why Ten Hag would want Maguire. If he played a compact counter attack I might see some merit or a back three, but surely for a pressing defence there is no room for Maguire.

There aren't even that many tall powerful attacking teams to suit an on form Maguires advantage in the air, but maybe that is where Ten Hag wants him. An option when needed.

Red4Life_#7

Yes. We didn't make a loss as most people think. Real Madrid didn't receive the add-ons they expected from us as we sold him for close to the fixed price we paid them upfront.
We actually didn't sell Di Maria at a loss.

We pretty much broke even by the accounting books.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Yes. We didn't make a loss as most people think. Real Madrid didn't receive the add-ons they expected from us as we sold him for close to the fixed price we paid them upfront.
I remember being pleasantly surprised by the fee we got for him, as were many more on here.

Red4Life_#7

Back to Maguire, he is no way near good enough for us to compete at the top level. He has to be protected because of his lack of pace and he is easily turn by tricky attackers. I think he will be good for a team who play 5 at the back as there are less spaces at the back.

Newcastle should go for him. £45m + 10m adds is the top we can expect (probably dreaming)

Tibs

Even if he comes back in a very positive state of mind and ready to actually be a half decent player, his confidence will take a huge knock once he's stripped of the captaincy.

Partridge

If we sell Maguire, United need to refer to the school of Owen. Close up portrait of Maguire looking 'moody', to the left of him, words..

"Inspiring, Fresh, citric, fit, healthy, magnetic, cool, bright, local, international, " all in sans serif, capitals. Add cost of creating giberish to transfer fee.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Even if he comes back in a very positive state of mind and ready to actually be a half decent player, his confidence will take a huge knock once he's stripped of the captaincy.
Why are you so sure he is going to be stripped of the captaincy?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Newcastle are our only hope of taking his wage and transfer fee (in part) off us, so what do we do with him? Just take a massive loss and write it off? Would the money men at the club sanction that?
Posters keep writing that Newcastle will take our deadwood.
Newcastle are being set up correctly, to win big trophies. They are unlikely to hire competent staff (as we have at MUFC), so they won't buy players that make no sense.
MUFC are the club with the worst track record, regarding signings. We've spent the highest amount on transfers and we finished the season (based on our last 6 games), just above the relegation zone.
From top to bottom we need changes.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Do you think that the board would sanction it?
They won't.
Next season, Maguire will not only be an automatic starter, but he'll be captain. Mark my words.
Nothing changes unfortunately and the one guy who did want to bring in the changes (Ralf R), got fired when he suggested that we need 9 new players.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Needs to go. No captain should be putting stuff out there like De Gea is better because we have a Spanish-speaking defender.

Mike Smalling

Needs to go. No captain should be putting stuff out there like De Gea is better because we have a Spanish-speaking defender.
Has he actually come out and said anything like that in an interview? It could just be bullshit made up by the media.

That said, I don't disagree that we should get rid. He will turn 30 this season, and his market value will only decrease from there. We should sell in the summer to the highest bidder. He will also want to play regular football, and that is not likely to happen, if the Varane and Martinez partnership continues to evolve.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We should put him on sale and then ask a realistic fee for him.

Monks_United

Has he actually come out and said anything like that in an interview? It could just be bullshit made up by the media.
Doesn't matter. His teammate was named. If he doesn't come out and say that the report was BS, then he is as good as endorsing it ! If it was just saying that he reckons players and the coaches at United haven't played to his strengths and all the other BS it has then thats fine. He might not have said it and he doesn't need to come out against it. But if De Gea is named and Maguire is the current captain then he should come out and protect his fellow players at the club for a quote attributed to him.

Last edited:

Mike Smalling

Doesn't matter. His teammate was named. If he doesn't come out and say that the report was BS, then he is as good as endorsing it !
No chance. If players were required to respond to every crap claim that the media came out with, they wouldn't have time for anything else.

Smores

Wonder if his fan club still think it's everyone else fault that poor Harry can't perform. I recall some trying to say no defender would look good with De Gea behind them but evidently they can.

If we were smart I think we'd get 40 million for him in January easily. Several clubs lower down the table would take him for that fee.

justsomebloke

Harry Maguire insiders call out Erik ten Hag and Man Utd players amid alarming dip | Football | Sport | Express.co.uk

Some weird claims here: The spokesperson of the camp also went on to blame the communication barrier between himself and goalkeeper David De Gea, as well as the shot-stopper’s desire to remain on his goal line rather than being more proactive and embodying a sweeper-like role. Thus, Martinez coming into central defence has squashed that issue as the Argentine is Spanish speaking and vocal to his teammates about how they must play.

As far as I know, David de Gea does speak English....

Figures close to Maguire also blamed his sub-par performances on the defender having a lack of pace around him.

What, with Varane, Dalot and Malacia? With Lindelof as his partner there's more of a point there, but generally speaking all the FBs he's played with are not challenged for pace.

But who knows, maybe the Express is just making this stuff up.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Wonder if his fan club still think it's everyone else fault that poor Harry can't perform. I recall some trying to say no defender would look good with De Gea behind them but evidently they can.

If we were smart I think we'd get 40 million for him in January easily. Several clubs lower down the table would take him for that fee.
or a club in Serie A were being a carthorse matters a bit less...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Harry Maguire insiders call out Erik ten Hag and Man Utd players amid alarming dip | Football | Sport | Express.co.uk

Some weird claims here: The spokesperson of the camp also went on to blame the communication barrier between himself and goalkeeper David De Gea, as well as the shot-stopper’s desire to remain on his goal line rather than being more proactive and embodying a sweeper-like role. Thus, Martinez coming into central defence has squashed that issue as the Argentine is Spanish speaking and vocal to his teammates about how they must play.

As far as I know, David de Gea does speak English....

Figures close to Maguire also blamed his sub-par performances on the defender having a lack of pace around him.

What, with Varane, Dalot and Malacia? With Lindelof as his partner there's more of a point there, but generally speaking all the FBs he's played with are not challenged for pace.

But who knows, maybe the Express is just making this stuff up.
Maguire is an expert on lack of pace...

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Doubt he will be sold in the short term at least. He will be used as a backup to the other central defenders.

Bwuk

He'll be gone in the summer.

I'd put good money on us going back in for Timber and selling Maguire.

justsomebloke

And Chelsea's interest this summer may point to potential interest from bigger clubs too. A fee of 40-50 m doesn't seem outlandish, though a loan is probably more likely in the January window. There's no way we're going to get our money's worth from the 80 m no matter what we do.

In fairness, you could make a case for holding on to him and see if he can revert to some kind of form if and when the opportunity presents itself, but admittedly it's looking less and less like a good case. His confidence and value will continue to deteriorate the longer he sits on the bench, his fundamentals won't change, he's the posterboy for eveything that's gone wrong over the last year, he doesn't seem to be a good fit for the system, and it's just not good for anyone to have your captain not playing.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We should put him on sale and then ask a realistic fee for him.
We should. However, with the way the club is run, we'll ask for a ridiculous fee and Maguire will still be here come the start of next season. With 'sources close to Maguire' leaking like a sieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.