How do we sell Harry Maguire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

George The Best

I think he stays. Varane and Martinez can’t play every match we have until end of season. Especially with the two postponed fixtures needing to be crammed in.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I managed 4 seconds of this cnut. As he got any evidence to back the bold claims he opens with?
Keep up with the news - Maguire's camp leaked that the poor little captain needs more help.

This bloke isn't a source, he's barely even a person. Just an absolute sad little worm. The fact he's managed to survive so long doing whatever it is he claims to be, is embarrassing.
I find it funny this forum goes balls-to-the-wall protecting our spoilt primma donna players but abuse of fans, no matter how annoying or controversial, is somehow acceptable.

If a hypocrisy meter existed, it'd probably break measuring this kind of stuff.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I think he stays. Varane and Martinez can’t play every match we have until end of season. Especially with the two postponed fixtures needing to be crammed in.
He might leave in the summer at the very worst case, it could be January though.

I agree we need cover. Pau Torres is still an option in future considering United were (apparently) discussing terms with him this summer.

Drakul

I just assumed the standard 5(+1) deal, turned out he signed a 6(+1) one back in 2019. Which makes sense since we looked to him as a long term investment then.

People thinking we would fetch 40m+ for him is delusional, being Man Utd and overpaying, we got a 4 times CL winner at 28 year old for 35m, in what world is Maguire going for more than that, English tax and all, when he’s on huge wage himself?
Still its unheard of to sign a player on a 6+1 deal. We tried to flog AWB this summer but as per reports only got a loan offer & I think a PL club was offering 10mn quid for him. Our board OBVIOUSLY refused that. Cant take such a huge loss. If we keep him, his value is only going to diminish similar to Rojo, Bailly, Jones (if he ever had any value), Mata, etc., and then watch them leave on a free.

We arent ever getting 40mn for Maguire. Anything above 20 mn and we should be biting the club's hands off. Maguire has become an albatross. He doesn't inspire any confidence. In the games he has come in the last 2-3 mins to shore up the defence, we have visibly looked nervous. Hoping Ten Hag would transfer list him and boot him out. Shaw too. This is his 9th season here and he's had just 1 or maybe 1.5 good seasons. Too injury-prone, unprofessional, and lacks the right mentality too. We have lost every final he has played (on the occasions he was miraculously fit to be selected for). Says it all.

Last edited:

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
He'll be gone in the summer.

I'd put good money on us going back in for Timber and selling Maguire.
What we really need is back up for Martinez. A left-footed CB. Lindelof can cover Varane.

I’m loving my life

Our best chance was this summer gone when there was interest from Chelsea. It would have been win-win all round but our chronic idiocy in the transfer market saw off any chances of doing the right thing by the club.

Herman Toothrot

Keep up with the news - Maguire's camp leaked that the poor little captain needs more help.

I find it funny this forum goes balls-to-the-wall protecting our spoilt primma donna players but abuse of fans, no matter how annoying or controversial, is somehow acceptable.

So pure speculation then? Right.

Teja

It will be difficult to shift them for those prices with the wages that they're on. They would be top earners at at any club outside of the top 6.

I really don't know why a large portion of this forum don't understand this.
And hence the reduced fees. You'd barely get a good championship CB for 30M these days.

Judas

Open to offers

Where am I defending Maguire? Nowhere, blokes a total cry baby surrounded by idiots clearly.

Dannn411

What we really need is back up for Martinez. A left-footed CB. Lindelof can cover Varane.
I think Lindelof is a busted flush and needs to go too. We just need to move on from the entire Ole-era group (minus Varane) and sign two new CBs that are more suited to the current era of football.They represent a CB group that the game has moved on from. Everyone plays a really high line now and so speed and assuredness on the ball are the attributes that matter the most these days at CB. My model for who we should be looking at these days at CB would be Eder Militao. Rapid but comfortable on the ball.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Wonder if his fan club still think it's everyone else fault that poor Harry can't perform. I recall some trying to say no defender would look good with De Gea behind them but evidently they can.

If we were smart I think we'd get 40 million for him in January easily. Several clubs lower down the table would take him for that fee.
First it was Lindelof's fault because Harry needs partner which suits him. Then it was Varane's fault because Varane is finished. Then it was Shaw's fault because he is lazy bastard.
Then it was McFred's fault. And then ladt year's excuse was De Gea.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He’s 30 next summer, on big wage, has 1 (2 with option?) year left on his contract, not starting and can be by then in rotten form for the best part of 2 seasons, good luck flogging him for anything more than 30m, and even that is pushing it. 20-25m is more realistic, if we can even attract buyers, that is.

That’s nearly £100m down the drain if we manage to sell him and AWB at the commonly accepted price range, Ole continues to feck this club long after his tenure.
Agree with all of this.

Inconceivable that we will get a decent fee for Maguire or Wan-Bissaka. Then we've got Fred heading into the final years of his contract. A player who is many things, but not the type of player Granvenberch is. That's an obscene amount of money for players who are surplus.

NewYorkRed

Nobody’s buying him and he’s not taking a wage cut. We have him till the end of his contract.

Rolaholic

Really wish there were a PL club that could offer him an exit route, we'll be much better off and it would open up a place to bring in another rising young talent at CB to go with Martinez.

The press apologia for him lately has been nauseating. Everyone else is to blame for him poor club form but him apparently. No matter how terrible he's been since his debut season with us, he's still one of the most protected players in the country with the press.

Kind of leads you to wonder just how many leaks over the last little while have come from him just like with another press darling like Henderson.

finneh

Nobody’s buying him and he’s not taking a wage cut. We have him till the end of his contract.
This is my concern. We have a player with 3 years left on his deal (4 years if we activate our clause) who's being paid £190k a week. I just don't see anyone investing the £40m in wages he'd want to take him off our hands for the next 4 years, let alone paying a decent fee on top.

He's not only earning outside of the wage limits for clubs like West Ham, Villa and Leicester; but also outside the limits of clubs like Tottenham and Arsenal if you exclude their key attacking players (Jesus, Kane, Son).

Therefore we're left with the miniscule chance that someone like PSG or Chelsea come in for him; or alternatively we pray that either Maguire values first team football to such an extent that he's willing to take a pay cut (very unlikely) or we end up subsiding his wages, either by letting him leave for small fee (< £15m) meaning the buying team can give him a large signing on fee to compensate or by literally paying him £70-80k a week for the next 3 years to play for someone else.

It will never cease to amaze me why we offer to 4x, 5x, 6x or 10x the salaries of players who haven't proven themselves for United. Do we really believe Maguire (or Sancho, Antony, Fred, AWB etc) would have turned down United if we offered £40-60k less a week which would still represent a huge pay rise with no other team willing to pay the transfer fee?

It only serves to make players impossible to sell, certainly at market value.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
First it was Lindelof's fault because Harry needs partner which suits him. Then it was Varane's fault because Varane is finished. Then it was Shaw's fault because he is lazy bastard.
Then it was McFred's fault. And then ladt year's excuse was De Gea.
It's always a sign the player themself is the issue once we start the who's around him game.
We saw it with latter day Rooney, and we saw it with Pogba repeatedly.

True quality players make their quality shown irrespective of who is around them.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Interesting that Ogden says he agrees with the opinion of his 'source'. Almost like maybe the 'source' doesn't exist at all.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's always a sign the player themself is the issue once we start the who's around him game.
We saw it with latter day Rooney, and we saw it with Pogba repeatedly.

True quality players make their quality shown irrespective of who is around them.
Rooney and Pogba have been actually good and have actually played at a high level. People should remember that Maguire is a player that had never played a continental club competition game before United, I'm talking about group stage. The reality of Maguire is that he was unproven when we signed him and has proved nothing since we signed him, it's insulting to Pogba and Rooney to bring them in the conversation.

wolvored

TH should call him in and de gea. Make Maguire apologise personally to him, then get all the squad and get Maguire to apologise to them. Take the captaincy off him in front of them all and say you will be a bench player until I see fit. Once you reveal the leaker, you will be considered for a place.
Then at the end of the season sell him.

Redlyn

While he should be sold asap, I feel he shouldn't be held responsible for what other people say, except maybe from his agent.

RedDevilQuebecois

The spanish language thing is borderline xenophobic as it make no sense in any sane footballing discussion, i'd bet that De Gea has better english language skills than Harry. I've never felt comfortable with all the memes and jibes at Maguire as he was good for us until he got that injury before the Europa final and then miraculously appeared at the Euros (i think thats what really fecked him up as he never recoverd that form since). But for the club captain or a close associate to be coming out with this stuff at this time shows a lack of intelligence and tone deafness. I dont see any possible angle where this helps him unless he has something lined up for January and will try for force a move. ETH must be fuming and i can just imagine the thoughts of Bryan Robson who is around the club now.
It's not borderline xenophobic; it's blatantly xenophobic. Considering that De Gea is among the very few left with the experience of winning the League at United and has had to deal with far more limited CBs in front of him over the years, you would expect a hell lot more respect. If anything, I say those comments expose both a xenophobic attitude and a very shitty attitude beyond tone deafness and mere stupidity. That kind of character is as nuclear toxic as it can get if you don't get rid of him ASAP.

If Ten Hag wants to stamp his authority, he should outright lock the doors at Carrington so Maguire won't be allowed back near the team ever again. Heck, Ten Hag has every right to be an asshole and hurt Maguire's credibility with England if that is how Slabhead wants to behave - like a cnut.

It's a shame that we didn't sell him to Chelsea before they got fleeced by Leicester with the Fofana deal. That would have solved a huge problem by now.

Borussia Teeth

And hence the reduced fees. You'd barely get a good championship CB for 30M these days.
These are only 'reduced fees' relative to what we (stupidly) paid. We got Varane for 35m. He's a multiple cl winner. Hardly a championship CB and similar age to Maguire.

Maguire and AWB will not bring in large fees. If we want to flog them then we need to cut our losses and accept realistic fees.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
People acting like it’s a hard thing to do just to make things more toxic.

Kopral Jono

Maguire has to be the worst signing we've ever made in our history if we take his transfer fee into account.

wolvored

I cant see Maguires ego and his England place, to allow him to be a bench player here for long. Im sure he will ask for a transfer by the end of the season, and with Utd being in even more debt, will probably be sold around the £30 mill mark and the wages saved will be a factor in this.
We will end up with £50 mill for 2 players who cost £130 mill 3 years ago.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Maguire has to be the worst signing we've ever made in our history if we take his transfer fee into account.
Van De Beek makes no appearance for 40 mil.

We have had some good performances or seasons from Maguire and Pogba.

LoneStar

I have no clue about his wages, probably around 200K I'm guessing. We should be able to move him on for 40M+. Likely 50M if there are multiple PL clubs interested.

He still performs well for England, and can be effective in the right system. That would be a good deal for both parties. He'll get a chance to play for another club, and we can effectively sign a decent CM/RB/ST with that money.

Status
Not open for further replies.