How do we solve our midfield problem?

Marnsky68

Agreed, especially with the bolded part, I think the problem is tactical 1st, personnel 2nd.

we need a bit more of organization in the team which we lack now, the pressing is disjointed, the movements are uncoordinated, and the whole team seems to be confused on what to do and when to do whatever is needed to be done.
Exactly this. What is really scary for me is how most of us can see these shortcomings, yet the coaches from what I have seen so far seem not to have identified these issues. I can't fathom what is really wrong with this team. How hard is it to press as a team or move the ball around better evidenced by how much better other PL teams press and move the ball. Something is just not right. I hope we see a change soon...

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
We could do with an astute signing. If VDB is not deemed up to it, then might as well sell him and raise the funds for him. The cover RR and Ole seems to think they need and are utilising VDB for, we might as well use Hannibal for it.

I'd love for us to have him and Garner more involved next season. That's assuming Pogba leaves, hopefully. Though it'd just be us to renew him for big money and wonder why we can't shift him 3 years later when things have gone horribly wrong.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Time to calm down the Galactico purchase strategy. Not saying we won't buy another world star at the highest wages, but we've got about 15 players on World XI salaries, many playing 20th best at their position football. We have to kill this expectation that when United come calling is time to hold out for a ridiculous ransom.

All Rangnick has to do is identify the same sort of players he's been finding for decades. But we've got to give him time, if only to kill the expectation that were a club that can be fleeced. We've smelled desperate for 10 years, if I was in control at a club and United tried to buy a player from my team I'd feel obliged to try to fleece them as part of my job.

I feel we need at least 2 new midfielders. We need to bring in proven quality like we did with Bruno (but a defensive midfielder) I would go for Declan Rice.

We won’t have enough budget for 2 proven quality so the scouting department will have to deliver the other player, hopefully a hungry ambitious player who is a rough gem.

Bondi77

Is there a worse combo in the Premier League?
One is about 5yrs past his best and the other has the worst technique I have seen in a Utd jersey
We will not finish in the top 8 in the league if we go with this pairing

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
It's on RR for keeping them on for the whole game, they didn't pick themselves

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
They are a huge problem, but the alternatives are also a huge problem. Lack of mobility, first touch and pace in this league is an absolute killer.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
One can't move, the other - a headless chicken.

But put them both and you have a comedy.

El Jefe

This thread should just be renamed "Our midfielders" for us to discuss how shit they all are and how we need at least three new CMs in the summer.

Fahad Jawaid

One with the turning ability of a 60 year old man, the other who somehow always manages to lose 50/50.

Art

Art the artist
We seem to be in the unfortunate situation where all 3 of our CMs need replacing but we’ll probably get only one this summer.

Zoo

Until we get someone who can do this we aren’t going to progress as a team and points like tonight will be dropped. Matic can do it for about 15 minutes but that’s it.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Matic should just retire. Clearly well past it. I don't know why he keeps getting picked.

Litch

Before people start 'going in' cause we drew, we were fecking 2-0 up, the draw isn't down to them solely.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Neither of them really played in midfield today, Matic centre back and Fred was pushing up the pitch.

davidmichael

I actually hope we don’t get a place in Europe full stop next season so we feck off the entire midfield we currently have (outside of McTominay) as it’s awful, I’ve said for two years if not longer that Matic’s legs went years ago and he isn’t good enough for anything other than 10 minutes at the end to see a game out.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Why was Fred constantly on the half way line when Villa were on the break? We were essentially without a midfield as Matic couldn't turn or move faster than a snail?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I hate how predictable it was that our midfield would be a huge problem this season.

It's absolutely killed us.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
God if we have soucek and rice today in midfield, we wouldn’t conceded those two goals. Wtf is Matic doing, a DM who doesn’t block a cross. Bottler and shit.

sugar_kane

Can’t stand Matic and haven’t liked him since his first few months here, absolutely screams of someone who is just here to pick up a wage.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Half an an hour and a yellow card and Matic was absolutely done.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I genuinely don't think we've EVER won a game with these 2 playing together?

You've got Fred who's lightweight he gets blown passed, and Matic who's so slow he's practically a tree at this point.

It's so bloody easy to cut straight through the middle of us

DevTheRed

I cannot believe Matic is still here.. how long have we been saying that for? He was awful for Chelsea and that was 5 years ago. Should’ve been moved on ages ago.. standards are so low it’s unbelievable.

Litch

Is there a worse combo in the Premier League?
One is about 5yrs past his best and the other has the worst technique I have seen in a Utd jersey
We will not finish in the top 8 in the league if we go with this pairing
How the feck did we get 2-0 up with about 15 mins to go then. They aren't the answer, we all know that but this type of thread to so knee jerk and for fact, you wouldn't have started it if we won.

JG3001

need 3 new midfielders and a manger who actually knows the importance of a midfield

Greck

One of the reasons I can't warm up to any of our midfielders. No matter how well they play in isolated performances they have zero ability to control games. The games dictate them.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Matic was done at half time, out of steam and on a yellow. Fred must have a better pass rate to villa than us!

Criminal, either sub matic for donny or bring on donny for someone else and stick him between of them.

Anustart89

Matic's legs went three years ago. The fact that he's still in PL matchday squads, and completing 90 minute games, is a damning indictment on this club's recruitment policy.

Lee565

We didn't need sancho or ronaldo this season, Greenwood was fine on the right wing and couldn use diallo as the back up, you know that guy we spent 40 million on!

We dearly needed a right back and defensive midfielder.