How do we solve our midfield problem?

Bobski

I don't think there's any manager out there that can improve McFred so if that's our midfield's problem solution we are surely doomed for another season.
Improve on McTominay by getting a better option in was my intended point. Fred has value in the right set up.

We can't think that just improving on those two will automatically make a huge difference, until we get the fitness levels up across the team and some willingness from the attackers to contribute defensively Utd are going to be easy to play against. Peak Keane and Vieria would have had a hard time keeping things tight with the statues in front of them that Utd had last season.

croadyman

On the contrary to a lot of opinion here, I think with just better coaching we will see a lot of improvement from our current crop of midfielders.

Especially coached to play in a system that utilises positional play. We've never really had a manager that focuses on this aspect since since LVG.
Improvement yes but we still need upgrades

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
1. Tchouameni
2. De Jong
3. Kamara

So... who is next in the line? Kante? Neves? Phillips? or even Fernandez? Kone?

croadyman

1. Tchouameni
2. De Jong
3. Kamara

So... who is next in the line? Kante? Neves? Phillips? or even Fernandez? Kone?
When tier 1's rule us out for De Jong then by all means put this post out. Would love a move for a top DM come from nowhere like scousers with Fabinho but not optimistic.

Last edited:

Ekeke

We need more flexibility to play more systems. Our 4-2-3-1 barely works even when Bruno is on fire and getting goals and assists that win us points when we dont play well. Theres still half the team that are playing something other than their best position and not doing a good job.

So when Bruno isnt at his best and now with Pogba gone, we need to play a midfield 3 more often. Have Bruno compete for a forward and a midfield role at those times. 1 player holding and 2 that can get forward and support the 3 attackers, with more quality than McTom and Fred

Huddsred

Go all in for Neves. He isn't going to sort out our midfield problems on his own, but it's a start.

Dante

Average bang

I thought this was interesting.

Pogba doesn't qualify because of a lack of playing time. But you can see exactly what EtH is going for with FdJ.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He is a better passer than any of our mids except Pogba (see City match this season) and he tackles and competes as well as McTom. The 1 issue is his fitness. That was also the case with Gundogan... Turns out City made the right call and we didnt.

Edit -

City assist here at 3:12 on
For a midfielder that plays in deep area, his passing accuracy is not very good. On average he has less than 80% passing accuracy and you would expect better than that considering he plays in a team that is above mid table of bundes liga. You might think, well he plays more risky passes. But for someone like Laimer, I expect ten Hag wouldn’t give him the instruction to play too many Hollywood passes.

I think his role would be to provide defensive works, keep it simple, don’t lose possession often, play link up play with full back and winger, and let his partner the one to dictate the midfield. Given what shown in the video and the stats, there is question mark if he will fit in. But then again, it all depends on how ten hag wants to play and how he expects his two midfielders to play and I expect one will have different instruction and role than the other midfield.

themanguydude

I thought this was interesting.

Pogba doesn't qualify because of a lack of playing time. But you can see exactly what EtH is going for with FdJ.

I think the ideal 3 man midfield is having one from each quadrants except for bottom left

Last edited:

RatPack

All transfers in the news seems to be for attack or defence. Still no links to a DM (except De Jong who is not coming).
They can get all the players and coaches they want, but without a DM to cover in defence and start the attacks nothing will help.
I am beginning to fear we are putting everything in for De Jong with no real back-up solution for DM. And will end up with RB, CB, FW and maybe a replacement GK.

NoPace

I think what the chart shows is that we could buy the right DM for 20M if we're smart, but a quality #8 is probably going to cost a ton.

Also looks like Ligue 1 has some interesting midfielders and when for example Palace sign Cheick Doucoure for 20M and he's great next season we'll all be annoyed.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
  1. Buy De Jong and another midfielder.
  2. Keep Fred as temporary backup, while Garner going out on loan.
  3. Move on from McTominay.

laughtersassassin

Wtf are we going to do with this. By all accounts we will only be signing one Midfielder.

No matter who we get that leaves us with a shite Midfield for next year.

If we don't get two starters in for Midfield we aren't taking this seriously at all.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
When was the last season we had a fully functioning midfield?
Carrick and Scholes, before we dragged Scholse-y out of retirement. Even then it was rare that it was amazing.
We finished a season with Sheasy and Giggs in central midfield.

United does not believe in midfielders since Keano.

Abraxas

1. Realise we might not be able to completely resolve both depth and quality in every needed position in one summer. I think one or two may need to prepare for that disappointment, I think ETH will want quality through the pitch.

2. Negotiate the shit out of the De Jong deal.

3. Don't lump in Fred with McTominay in a lazy fashion. He's going to be useful to ETH.

4. Analyse Garner's readiness.

5. Maybe consider if VDB can be useful. I have my doubts but there is not much to lose.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I really liked our midfield prospects for next year as im pretty sure we're getting de jong, just need someone who we could pair him with, Bruno just needs bear the attacking responsibility at that time.

croadyman

Wtf are we going to do with this. By all accounts we will only be signing one Midfielder.

If we don't get two starters in for Midfield we aren't taking this seriously at all.
Yeah lost Pogba & Matic so definitely need to sign 2 midfielders in this window

NoPace

I guess it's conceivable we could survive with Fred and VDB fighting for the #8 spot next to a new DM, with Bruno as a 10 and then we sign a RW this summer and play Sancho at LW.

But if the DM misses any time we're probably in trouble. Also I don't know if Ten Hag will see Bruno as a 10 with how much he gives the ball away. That's maybe the biggest question of the current players.

Walters_19_MuFc

If we can get De Jong, or someone of a similar ilk, then we'll look pretty strong in midfield, in my opinion.

UNITED - CITY - LIVERPOOL

Bruno - De Bruyne - Keita
Eriksen - Silva - Thiago
De Jong - Rodri - Fabinho
McTominay - Gundogan - Henderson
Fred - Phillips - Milner
Van de Beek - ? - Jones

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Its amazing how neglected the midfield has been for, arguably, a decade at this club.

Cloudface

Its amazing how neglected the midfield has been for, arguably, a decade at this club.
I wouldn't say neglected. We just sign players that don't fit or work:
Name Age
13/14
Mata 25
Fellaini 25
14/15
Herrera 24
Blind 24
15/16
Schneiderlin 25
Schweinsteiger 30
16/17
Pogba 23
17/18
Matic 28
18/19
Fred 25
19/20
Bruno 25
20/21
VdB 23

NZT-One

I wouldn't say neglected. We just sign players that don't fit or work:
Name Age
13/14
Mata 25
Fellaini 25
14/15
Herrera 24
Blind 24
15/16
Schneiderlin 25
Schweinsteiger 30
16/17
Pogba 23
17/18
Matic 28
18/19
Fred 25
19/20
Bruno 25
20/21
VdB 23
Good Point... It is to a certain degree bad luck, imagine if the Schneiderlin and Pogba transfer turned out very good, we would be golden. Along the lines, we should have gone for upcoming midfield talents though.

NLunited

Today against Villa we could have used McTominay in midfield. It was too light weight with Donny and Fred.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
By confining mcfred to the bin alongwith donny. Those 3 are not fit to be in the starting xi.

GlasgowCeltic

If we can get De Jong, or someone of a similar ilk, then we'll look pretty strong in midfield, in my opinion.

UNITED - CITY - LIVERPOOL

Bruno - De Bruyne - Keita
Eriksen - Silva - Thiago
De Jong - Rodri - Fabinho
McTominay - Gundogan - Henderson
Fred - Phillips - Milner
Van de Beek - ? - Jones
utd need two midfielders before any comparisons can start being made

mu4c_20le

...by buying some fecking players? Revolutionary idea I know.
No, by developing our own, like Erik said. In three years time you won't even remember there was a problem. Did Barcelona buy Iniesta? Exactly.

Last edited:

NZT-One

No, by developing our own, like Erik said. In three years time you won't even remember there was a problem. Did Barcelona buy Iniesta? Exactly.
Weren't Xavi and Iniesto sort of late bloomers and didn't enter the big stage relatively late? I mean, you are right, of course we have to develop the players we have but Iniesta didn't pop up in a vacuum. He had players like Deco, Toure, Ronaldinho around who shouldered lots of pressure for younger players to develop.

This is the big difference to United right now - we don't have a back bone, or a set group of players all in their prime performing and contributing at the best of their abilities. This has many reasons but we won't be able to undo the mistakes of the last like 10-12 years just by blind faith in our youth. Wouldn't be fair to the youth players as well.