How do we unlock a defensive team

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
As heading says, how do we unlock a team that puts 10 men behind the ball or a very defensive team ?
Do you think we have enough quality to break teams up ?Starting with Wolves today, do you think we have enough mettle to do it ?

I personally dont see it and think there is an over reliability on kids. We will drop of silly points is what my guess is.

Thoughts?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Probably best to see how we actually do against one first. The whole idea we'd struggle is based on the fact we don't have a big striker, but City don't have one. Neither do Liverpool. They've both found a way around it.

Stadjer

We have to wait for a Pogba moment and he usually has atleast one every match. If he doesnt have it, praying a moment comes from Martial or Rashford i guess. If not... well, its going to be very boring to watch.

ash_86

One effective way is to push them back and as the Fullbacks to overlap. With a packed box and a low powerful cross, anything can happen. Try it 5 times and you get rewarded with a goal atleast once. Then game opens up as the defending team needs to get an equalizer.

SlimDizzle075

As heading says, how do we unlock a team that puts 10 men behind the ball or a very defensive team ?
Do you think we have enough quality to break teams up ?Starting with Wolves today, do you think we have enough mettle to do it ?

I personally dont see it and think there is an over reliability on kids. We will drop of silly points is what my guess is.

Thoughts?

by allowing them to attack us to create space once they do you use a fast fluid front three and timely passing to split them open and score
either that or by using off ball movement to drag there players out of position.

Ekeke

Maguire. Whether this is the correct answer to the question or not, this is the answer we selected in the summer

flappyjay

We are going to fund out today. Pogba, McTominay and whomever plays as the 10 are going to have to be excellent for us to get a win

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Get the full backs high up the pitch and peppering the ball low and hard in to the box to create a bit of havoc.... instead of going out wide back inside, back to the wing rinse repeat

Mailo

Lure them out. Forfeit possession and let them get up the pitch. As soon as they lose the ball, whack their balls with a stiff and quick counterattack. Give them their medicine.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Angel Gomes and Pogba :drool: honestly, passing triangles and overlaps with technically gifted players is probably the best way, it pulls the opposition's team out of shape and doesn't give them time to reset so it's easier to force mistakes. Maguire's ariel presence on set pieces gives us another dimension and, whilst not consistent, moments of individual brilliance can coax the opposition into having to attack and then being able to catch them on the counter. I think we'll get most joy by forcing mistakes at the back with high-pressing, we nearly did Chelsea with them a few times the other day, teams with worse players are more likely to make mistakes.

fps

Mata in the 10. Really, he's a very, VERY good passer, can hit a great shot, moves clever in the box. He's been wasted for 5 years. IMO he would be the key to unlocking, because he can put others in and move the ball quickly, meaning oppo is second guessing other runs/movement, while also being able to shoot excellent, meaning that little bit of space can lead to a shooting/scoring opportunity for him.

Also, stick Maguire up top and Fellaini it.

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Watching City v Spurs demonstrated what we need to do to break down a team with a good defence: Constant pressure on their back line and midfield as soon as they get possession. This needs great levels of fitness and concentration,and I saw us trying to do that against Chelsea. We're not at City/Liverpool levels just yet but we have to start as we mean to go on.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Don't know why everyone expects Wolves to just sit behind the ball. They'll get forward when counter attacking, it's about how quickly we can attack them when they do.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Lure them out. Forfeit possession and let them get up the pitch. As soon as they lose the ball, whack their balls with a stiff and quick counterattack. Give them their medicine.
I'm Sure that's illegal. We'll get penalised

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
That's exactly what I think. I have no idea why we don't.

I'm sure I ready in a fergie book that this is what he did.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
AWB, Mason Greenwood and Paul Pogba are going to have absolutely insane games today. (I hope, good feeling in my gut!)

We need speed and the talent to pass players, those 3 got that in key areas on the pitch

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Probably best to see how we actually do against one first. The whole idea we'd struggle is based on the fact we don't have a big striker, but City don't have one. Neither do Liverpool. They've both found a way around it.
Since when do United fans do that? Much more productive to start pointless threads moaning about what hasn't even happened yet

romufc

Quick Passing and patience.

If we move the ball around quickly, and keep the ball from side to side, it will wear them down and we will get spaces to operate in.

SouthernGirl29

I think it's more to do with the fact that going forward we can counter attack, but not much else. If the opponent doesn't attack much then we have to break them down and get through their midfield and defence. Other than Pogba we don't have any real creative talent, so you do wonder where that defence splitting pass will come from. Perhaps Mata would be useful in these kind of matches?

Adcuth

Width, stretch the play, plenty of runs made to drag defenders out of position. Get one goal and make them have to come forward leaving gaps to play through.

Martial​

Rashford Gomes James​

Pogba Mctominay​

Shaw Maguire Lindelof AWB​

Last edited:

BaillyBaillyBailly

Would love to say it'll be Angel Gomes who unlocks those teams but can't see him being played. Playing Pogba as a free midfielder though in the number 10 position should help unlock though especially if we keep width with either Rashford/Martial and Lingard. Additionally, as some have said, stick a ball onto Maguire's head.

SaintMuppet

The answer is simple. We need to score a goal. Once we have done that a defensive team needs to either attack or concede the game.

How do we score a goal against a defensive team?

We take our chances when they come. Whether it be from a set piece, a mistake, a long shot, a deflection or from skillfully playing our way through or round them we must take that chance. We will get one every game we need to be clinical when it happens.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
More shots from outside the 18. The problem we tend to have when teams sit deep is that we still try to pass the ball into the net. Shooting from range will start to drag out defenders which should start to open up space.

Another way is to concede possession. If it isn't working with 70% then stop pressing and dare the opponent to attack. That should open up space behind defenders for quick counter attacks...

RedDevilRoshi

High aggressive pressing when we don’t have the ball. Similar to what we done against Inter Milan. We didn’t give them any breathing space.

When in possession, quick passing and constant movement. Also stretch the game too by using the full width of the pitch. Also don’t feel afraid to shoot at goal when the opportunity arises.

ValenciaRocks

We need to effectively stop their counters. We know Wolves won’t just settle for a draw, they will want to win this one. If we can stop their counters with ease then they will have to adjust their playing style at half time or perhaps even later. Once they push up a bit we can exploit them. This is why I feel that getting that first goal will be the deciding factor here. If they score first then we’re in trouble

ValenciaRocks

Mata in the 10. Really, he's a very, VERY good passer, can hit a great shot, moves clever in the box. He's been wasted for 5 years. IMO he would be the key to unlocking, because he can put others in and move the ball quickly, meaning oppo is second guessing other runs/movement, while also being able to shoot excellent, meaning that little bit of space can lead to a shooting/scoring opportunity for him.

Also, stick Maguire up top and Fellaini it.
I’m with you on this one. I think Mata is very underrated for us. He tracks back more than you think as well, he’s very hard working.

I think ole will only use him as a sub though if we can’t find a solution in the first 60 mins... but I agree he is made for games where the opponents sit back and we have possession. Gomes is another one who I can see benefiting against teams that hold back - he’s a very good passer of the ball and his movement is beyond his years.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Knuckle ball type shots from mid to long range. Make it difficult to save and score from a rebound or a mishandle.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Lot of people mentioning to have the full backs attack. Problem is our options are limited there and wouldn't provide the desired result always.

Shaw is still not great in attacking while AWB just joined us.

Florida Man

Oh and get fouled near the edge of the penalty box. The more free kicks, the better.

The good thing in regards to teams that sit back is that you only need one goal to force them to change tactics. Once they feel like they have to attack, we’ll get them on the counter.

Florida Man

Lot of people mentioning to have the full backs attack. Problem is our options are limited there and wouldn't provide the desired result always.

Shaw is still not great in attacking while AWB just joined us.
AWB has shown promise in attack. I can see us scoring from the right.

fps

I’m with you on this one. I think Mata is very underrated for us. He tracks back more than you think as well, he’s very hard working.

I think ole will only use him as a sub though if we can’t find a solution in the first 60 mins... but I agree he is made for games where the opponents sit back and we have possession. Gomes is another one who I can see benefiting against teams that hold back - he’s a very good passer of the ball and his movement is beyond his years.
Agree he's a good bench option for when you need to change it. I never really liked the reactive choice of lineups against teams who, on paper, were to be steamrolled, it seemed to send the wrong message, to each team.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
- Quick 1-2s, combinations in the flanks to force 1x1 with creative players.

- Stretch oposition defence with both horizontal and vertical movements in attack.

- Overloads in one side/area of the pitch to drag opposition and free space on another side.

-Set pieces