How excited are you about the World Cup?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I'm looking forward to arsenal's women's match against juve midweek. That's how excited I am.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
A lot less now that Benzema is out, but still looking forward to it, it's just definitely taken a hit in the excitement department for me. I hope no other major injuries from star players come because we're already missing out on some big names.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Not as excited as previous ones. I think its because im so set in my ways that any WC not taking place in the summer, doesnt feel right

Moonwalker

When I was younger, I used to proclaim that I would watch every game, euphorically before the start of each world cup, even if the excitement subsequently dwindled, as I inevitably missed a game or two.

This time around, I haven't even watched the opening game. Maybe if the opening game was anything but these two teams I'd revert to type.

Chief123

I’m excited for our game tomorrow. It still feels incredibly weird to think we are playing our first game in the World Cup tomorrow afternoon. Normally used to a 4 week build up. In some ways it’s actually nice to go straight into it.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
About a 1 of out ten. That's for a number of reasons. And one of those is that England still have that useless Southgate in charge so will probably go out in the group.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I’m excited for our game tomorrow. It still feels incredibly weird to think we are playing our first game in the World Cup tomorrow afternoon. Normally used to a 4 week build up. In some ways it’s actually nice to go straight into it.
Yup looking forward to tomorrow, will be nice to watch while working from home.

Irwin99

Said I wouldn't be bothered, ended up watching the first match. Hope Netherlands or Argentina win it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Actually getting somewhat excited, especially having all three games in the afternoon & not interfering with work too badly.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
About a 1 of out ten. That's for a number of reasons. And one of those is that England still have that useless Southgate in charge so will probably go out in the group.
He is a useless sack of shit but if he doesn’t get out of the group then he should retire. England are going out in the next stage for sure.

BorisManUtd

Fairly excited. It's a competition that brings even the people not usually watching football that much, hanging out with people, watching the games, that's always fun. And it's most probably last World Cup for Ronaldo and Messi and they've been around for almost 2 decades, well 15 years performing on highest level anyways.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I forgot the first game was today, so apparently not very excited.

Also 4 games a day, every day, is too much. Especially when half of them are on during work hours so you can't even watch them with mates etc.

Whole thing just feels like a massive feck up. Will see if my opinion/interest level changes once it gets going.

Chief123

I forgot the first game was today, so apparently not very excited.

Also 4 games a day, every day, is too much. Especially when half of them are on during work hours so you can't even watch them with mates etc.

Whole thing just feels like a massive feck up. Will see if my opinion/interest level changes once it gets going.
Yeah 4 games a day does seem overkill. 3 games used to be just right. I don’t think I could watch all 4 games everyday which is a shame as I normally like to watch pretty much all games.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Less excited now than I was four hour ago.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yeah 4 games a day does seem overkill. 3 games used to be just right. I don’t think I could watch all 4 games everyday which is a shame as I normally like to watch pretty much all games.
Yeah same. No way I'm going to have time to sit through 4, which means missing a fair chunk of it, which instantly makes me less excited.

It being in the middle of the season is rubbish as well. No proper build up and almost feels secondary.

Chief123

Yeah same. No way I'm going to have time to sit through 4, which means missing a fair chunk of it, which instantly makes me less excited.

It being in the middle of the season is rubbish as well. No proper build up and almost feels secondary.
I’m already pin pointing the game each day that I’ll be sacking off. Mexico v Poland being the first victim!

wolvored

I think age comes into it. Im 62 and every passing time whether its WC or Euros its always the same, since 66 England never win it. I used to love footballs coming home song now I detest it. Its 26 years old and we still sing it and it never comes home!
Over time its become meh! to me. Ill see a couple of games with my son/grandson/friends, but not really enthusiastic tbh.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
At the airport on route. I have 6 matches in 4 days to go to. Can’t wait.
What games you going to?

I’m always excited about the World Cup, this year I’m still excited but not as much. It doesn’t feel like a World Cup yet, maybe that’ll change as the tournament progresses

redshaw

Just have to see how the other games go in terms of fan participation. If it's mostly just floating fans around that leave after a bit and we're left with a small pocket of fans for each country it could be quite a strange World Cup

Andy_Cole

What games you going to?

I’m always excited about the World Cup, this year I’m still excited but not as much. It doesn’t feel like a World Cup yet, maybe that’ll change as the tournament progresses
France vs Australia
Belgium vs Canada
Germany vs Japan
Portugal vs Ghana
Brazil vs Serbia
England vs USA

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Never been less excited, but still quite excited (if that makes sense). As soon as we win 1 game, I will be full muppet.

Bondi77

Time frames are a bit hard for me but I will watch all the England games and good ones on the weekends.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I like 32 teams, 24 and 16 were too few but the next jump to 48? is going to be awful
Agree with you, 24 and 48 are weird numbers leading to weird rules about who qualifies. 32 is great, two qualified per group and that's it. Pretty straightforward stuff.

King Eric 7

Well I could have taken tomorrow afternoon off to watch our opener but I haven't even bothered.

Steffa Barnesa

Agree with you, 24 and 48 are weird numbers leading to weird rules about who qualifies. 32 is great, two qualified per group and that's it. Pretty straightforward stuff.
32 fits perfectly. I'm happier than I was with the next one because it's groups of three, with only 16 extra matches (I don't like the idea of things like goalscoring records being broken by modern players, so many legends being surpassed in the goalscoring charts by average players simply playing more games). With only sixteen extra matches though, that shouldn't be too bad. But that's not much to shout about, really, is it? And it's still a lot of of group games to just eliminate one third of the teams, with that third being the very sixteen teams who presumably wouldn't have qualified for these 32-team tournaments.

Bert_

Just feels like some extended international break at the minute. As such I want it over and done with so we can go back to real football, but then again its an unprecedented tournament where no one has had time to train so it could end up being wild! Equally it could end up being flat and boring as feck. Time will tell!

Gavinb33

Not massively it doesn't feel like a world Cup at least not yet anyway.

I feel as the tournament moves on and the games get better I will be more into it.

I feel the dearth in quality between teams is going to be felt and with the next one being expanded I only fear the games are going to become more meaningless in the future.

OrcaFat

I don’t get as excited as I used to. Worse this time because of all the negative press about Qatar.

But I quite enjoyed the game today and I think my interest will increase. Plus we have guys out there; especially looking forward to seeing Brazil.

England-wise, it depends who’s picked but with Shaw and Rashford on the pitch I’ll wake up and pay attention. I’d like to see Grealish have a Gazza-style impact which I think he can do.

In summary, fairly excited but quite open to being extremely excited as it goes on.

432JuanMata

It’s in Qatar which is a sham and it’s in winter which is also dreadful but it’s still the World Cup and I will watch nearly all the games

nygaard

The least excited I've been for WCs, but still mildly excited

Roane

For me the excitement was something that had been lessened simply because we haven't had 4 weeks to a build up (usually end of season). Everything goes into over drive usually because there is time and the media are in full flow.

However I think I like this overall. Middle of the season. Players hopefully fresher (I mean they've complained about international tournaments being after a hard season enough). No hype and crappy songs etc.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Very excited England's boring 0-0 draw today

Got the whole afternoon off especially