How far are you willing to go to get the Glazers out?

InfiniteBoredom

Let’s assume for a moment that the fans can sustain a potential years long protest in order to drive the current owners out, and eventually succeed.

What is the cost for the club in the short-medium term are you willing to accept to get to that end?

Relegation is IMO out of the question. No matter how bad we are, there should always be 3-4 worse teams in any given season. With that said, possible repercussions can include:
  • Players leaving due to the constant unrest, with a view to seek success elsewhere, which includes both first teamers like Fernandes, Pogba, Shaw, Rashford and youngsters like Meijbri, Diallo.
  • Reduction in value/loss of sponsorships, match day revenue etc... which handicap our transfer spendings for a few seasons.
  • Docked points/playing behind closed door should there be more instance of violence/pitch invasion. As a result, loss of European football/league standing.
Personally, I think it’s fairly unlikely most of the above will come to pass, as the club is just too expensive to afford for most, and this is not to discourage people from following their conviction . However, there are clear risks that must be acknowledged. We aren’t in the same position regarding football management as 2010, so a protracted protest/new takeover of the club can easily cost us another decade or two flailing in the middle of nowhere, should the new owners turn out to be no better than the Glazers. We can find ourselves in the same spot as Arsenal currently, or worse. So would that be worth it to drive the Glazers out of the club?​

berbasloth4

there is far you would go and there is punishing people who arent at fault. ole the staff and players are no where near at fault. There are players there who actually care about united and this is hurting them too.

Anything that effects them should be maybe halted. Glazers are businessmen hit them in the pockets stop buying merchandise buy fake united tops ones not at the game boycott sky stream it. sky will be reluctant to but money back in etc.

Okey

Assuming we get the home game against Fulham open to fans (10,000 I hear), how about a boycott of that game? Champions league should be secured by then. Maybe even 2nd place. We've played all season without fans anyway. Might as well wait for next season. If it's only season ticket holders eligible for that game, we could poll them about this. Gives some momentum to yesterday's protest, with more visibility.

Mr Smith

there is far you would go and there is punishing people who arent at fault. ole the staff and players are no where near at fault. There are players there who actually care about united and this is hurting them too.

Anything that effects them should be maybe halted. Glazers are businessmen hit them in the pockets stop buying merchandise buy fake united tops ones not at the game boycott sky stream it. sky will be reluctant to but money back in etc.
This is the problem with owners like the Glazers. They're not accountable. They make financial decisions behind the scenes but are completely protected from the consequences.

Red_toad

This is the problem with owners like the Glazers. They're not accountable. They make financial decisions behind the scenes but are completely protected from the consequences.
This x 1000. The players, stadium staff and coaching staff will all be affected. The Glazers sit at home watching and waiting for it to slowly die out. All they’ve have learned from today is better security precautions are needed.

edcunited1878

They are accountable to their own cash cow. United may not be competing for the title for 8 years now, but European competition is still a significant revenue driver. Yes the club has been in and out of CL, but even good Europa League runs are something of value.

The owners will not push out the boat to see a sustained title push. It means United would have to spend a lot of cash every year to stave off Chelsea and Liverpool, spend smartly to stave off Leicester, but spend more than enough to close the gap to City and hopefully overtake them.

The owners have shown that they aren't willing to allow consistent spend to take over City, nor invest in proper football structures to create spending efficiencies. And the lack of OT renovation support is another issue.

edcunited1878

At the end of the day, I don't want to see the team become collateral damage in this battle where points deductions could be real. As much as people want to believe these footballers deeply care about the club, most of them will not and cannot speak about club ownership.

They are getting handsomely paid, they get a lot of support from the club, and know how special it is to player for such a massive club.

Ole and Marcus and probably Mason are United supporters. While they do understand the frustrations of the supporters, they are footballers first who are paid by said owners. Everything else comes second until it doesn't.

Will Ole resign as manager...will Marcus boycott and hold out playing because he believes the owners are a complete drag on the club? Those are severe scenarios where the owners will then take notice. That's the level of action that should be taken if everyone involved is taking this seriously.

Shiva87

At the end of the day, I don't want to see the team become collateral damage in this battle where points deductions could be real. As much as people want to believe these footballers deeply care about the club, most of them will not and cannot speak about club ownership.

They are getting handsomely paid, they get a lot of support from the club, and know how special it is to player for such a massive club.

Ole and Marcus and probably Mason are United supporters. While they do understand the frustrations of the supporters, they are footballers first who are paid by said owners. Everything else comes second until it doesn't.

Will Ole resign as manager...will Marcus boycott and hold out playing because he believes the owners are a complete drag on the club? Those are severe scenarios where the owners will then take notice. That's the level of action that should be taken if everyone involved is taking this seriously.
Will the fans leave their jobs and make protesting a full time vocation? It's ballistic to think that players/ manager should resign or boycott the club. What does Marcus do then - spend his prime years as a footballer running protests and political campaigns? What does Ole do, go back to managing Molde?

And how does any of that make any difference to the Glazers? They will just get another manager and another player, and put a PR spin around it. Heck a number of United fans on this forum will think good riddance.

Bulldog United

I wrote the Glazers an email last night asking them to consider maybe selling OUR club at some point in the not-too-distant-future.

Roboc7

The reality is you have to impact the team to impact the owners. Action like stopping games taking place or not attending games is what makes their ownership untenable.

Long term the Glazers are only going to be worse for the club they are never going put a penny in, never pay off the debt and infrastructure will decay.

vidic blood & sand

I think we have to now chip away at their resolve. Yesterday's protest, apart from the violent aspect, was a great way for the fans to make a statement of intent that enough is enough.
Now there needs to be a coordinated boycott of all Manchester United merchandise on a global scale. Peaceful anti glazer protests at games with chants and banners etc.
We have to loosen the grip of the Glazers finger by finger.

red4ever 79

More of yesterday, minus any people who caused damage or violence. Banners and tweets will do nothing. Keep disrupting the club as much as possible, it generates a much more significant outpouring of news across the globe. Sponsors are also unhappy that the game didnt go ahead.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Every home game this season should see similar protests you'd imagine. I'd hope that the violence gets cut out and we have a full on peaceful protest, but the main thing is that this shouldn't be the end of it.

diarm

I would take all the things mentioned in the OP, as well as relegation, if it meant getting rid of the Glazers and making the club affordable enough for a 50+1 buyout.

red thru&thru

It will probably take the threats of personal safety of the Glazers to make them really stand up, like it took Ed.

stw2022

If done where they live, I couldnt care less
But the issue is that will fail to take many fans with it and that will be the campaign will fall.

Not having a problem with extreme direct action is fine but pretending it won’t alienate fans needed to make this work is something else.

The problem with the anti owner campaign in a nut shell and why it’s not succeeded at all in fifteen years. They do things that make them feel better and have little regard to actually succeeding. The first step to ousting them might be to stop being in denial about how shit campaigns to do so have continuously been

Lelouch geass

I am willing to inherit Escobar's wealth to buy Manchester United, which has been my dream since young adolescent every time I drink beer. Jokes aside, I wish Saudis seriously buy the than Glazer hanging, simply for amount of wealth they can pour in club to make it glorified again. Just watch Phil Foden in City's line up coming up from academy.

TheRedHearted

With the improvement we’ve had the last two years I don’t want them gone. The tide has finally turned and we want to start with new ownership? No thank you. Doesn’t seem to be an actual good option out there and Woodward messed up the post sir Alex years, we always knew they would be rough but they spent money on the team in Pogba it was just the coaching decisions that was off. Call me crazy but that’s my hot take.

Ekeke

They are accountable to their own cash cow. United may not be competing for the title for 8 years now, but European competition is still a significant revenue driver. Yes the club has been in and out of CL, but even good Europa League runs are something of value.

The owners will not push out the boat to see a sustained title push. It means United would have to spend a lot of cash every year to stave off Chelsea and Liverpool, spend smartly to stave off Leicester, but spend more than enough to close the gap to City and hopefully overtake them.

The owners have shown that they aren't willing to allow consistent spend to take over City, nor invest in proper football structures to create spending efficiencies. And the lack of OT renovation support is another issue.
You talk like this is the end of the world. It isnt. Its not the best but new owners could be even worse. We're 2nd, have a good team and good potential players for the future. To get rid of the Glazers we'll have to get rid of all of that

Ekeke

What is supporting the club?

Is it not supporting the players, the manager, the staff etc that are contracted and employed to Manchester United even if you hate the owners?

Wanting to sacrifice all the above because you want the owners out sounds pretty selfish to me. Its about you, not about supporting the club

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I would take relegation to get real, meaningful positive change.

People that are afraid to lose their 2nd place but fully aware we'll never be top with these owners need to consider why they follow a sports team that does not seem bothered to compete at the top level.

Just look at Rangers. A few years in the doldrums but now they're rid of the plague on the club and back to competing at the top of their league.

lysglimt

Scout
Would I accept seeing my club fall to the Moyes-level again after OGS slowly built it up over 2 years - NO!

The fans should work towards legislation - it's the only thing that guaranteed will force the Glazers hand

diarm

What is supporting the club?

Is it not supporting the players, the manager, the staff etc that are contracted and employed to Manchester United even if you hate the owners?

Wanting to sacrifice all the above because you want the owners out sounds pretty selfish to me. Its about you, not about supporting the club
Players, managers and staff come and go. The supporters are the club and shouldn't have to sit back meekly in case they upset the players whose wages we pay.

It is our club. Not the players, not the manager and not the owners. Ours. It was ours long before the Glazers or Solskjaers or Luke Shaw or Bruno Fernandes, and it will be ours long after they are all gone.

This is bigger than any player or individual.

Ekeke

Players, managers and staff come and go. The supporters are the club and shouldn't have to sit back meekly in case they upset the players whose wages we pay.

It is our club. Not the players, not the manager and not the owners. Ours. It was ours long before the Glazers or Solskjaers or Luke Shaw or Bruno Fernandes, and it will be ours long after they are all gone.

And this is confirmation of selfish thinking. Thankyou

You are not the club. And neither are 1000 supporters.

andre’s ankle tape

Spot on

OleBoiii

I'm all for the protests, but we got to be a bit pragmatic here. The fact of the matter is that most top clubs will either have shite owners or be state funded. Removing the Glazers wont change this reality. We all want 50+1, but it's not going to happen.

Is our "purity" more important than our sporting success? If so: to what degree? Should we accept mid-table irrelevance for a long time(perhaps forever) just so we can have an owner that we don't hate? Considering our history I think we are one of the few clubs that can demand a certain sporting standard to be withheld. How low must we drop and for how long must we stay down before the Glazers sell?

I'd definitely be fine with a significant drop in quality if bouncing back within a few years was inevitable. The thing is, I don't think this is guaranteed if we drop so low that the Glazers sell us. We'd be a lost cause, unless the likes of the Saudis bought us. And I don't want that to happen.

There are only 2 options that are good-ish and semi-realistic: cooperate with/pressure the Glazers or get some form of government intervention.

diarm

And this is confirmation of selfish thinking. Thankyou

You are not the club. And neither are 1000 supporters.
And this is confirmation of subservient thinking. The meek allowing themselves to be exploited for the benefit of the few.

I pay for the club, along with the hundreds of thousands and even millions of fans who buy tickets, merchandise, jerseys and tv subscriptions.

I have been in the stands, supporting my club since I was old enough to stand on my own. Those protesting yesterday were supporting our club - willing to do what is right, even if it means short term pain.

Those of you who want to cut them down are merely serving and supporting the Glazers and the masquerade of greed they hide under a corrupted version of our badge.

You don't want what's best for the club, its future or the fans and members. You just want to sound pious and belittle the efforts of those trying for better.

Our club is not what the Glazers have tried to turn it into, and no fan has an obligation to support their attempt.

Ekeke

And this is confirmation of subservient thinking. The meek allowing themselves to be exploited for the benefit of the few.

I pay for the club, along with the hundreds of thousands and even millions of fans who buy tickets, merchandise, jerseys and tv subscriptions.

I have been in the stands, supporting my club since I was old enough to stand on my own. Those protesting yesterday were supporting our club - willing to do what is right, even if it means short term pain.

Those of you who want to cut them down are merely serving and supporting the Glazers and the masquerade of greed they hide under a corrupted version of our badge.

You don't want what's best for the club, its future or the fans and members. You just want to sound pious and belittle the efforts of those trying for better.

Our club is not what the Glazers have tried to turn it into, and no fan has an obligation to support their attempt.
This is the point you missed before. They werent protesting and the majority never will be. You are one person, and in a group of 1000 protesters you are part of the vast minority. So no you arent the club and neither are 1000 out of the millions of fans worldwide. You also forget that Ole is a fan. And a lot of the people who are working for the club. So you are also trying to harm the livelyhoods of plenty of fans.

diarm

This is the point you missed before. They werent protesting and the majority never will be. You are one person, and in a group of 1000 protesters you are part of the vast minority. So no you arent the club and neither are 1000 out of the millions of fans worldwide. You also forget that Ole is a fan. And a lot of the people who are working for the club. So you are also trying to harm the livelyhoods of plenty of fans.
There were far more than 1000 supporters out yesterday. This was the hardcore, the local fans and the descendants of the men and women who built our club.

We're in the middle of a pandemic and travel is restricted. Let's wait and see who is in the minority once everyone can travel and stadiums are open again.

Every important protest, movement and revolution in history has come with risk and sacrifice, and in every instance there has been the sanctimonious meek, telling people not to stand up for what is right, trying to maintain the status quo and too afraid of what might happen to fight for what should be.

I don't forget that Ole is a fan, but him being a fan does not excuse the Glazers and does not stop me protesting them. You are also a fan and your enabling of them does not stop me either.

Manchester United Football Club has made enough money over the last 30 years to pay every employee at the club and the next 10 generations of their families for life if we never played another game. Any loss of jobs would be on the Glazers and them alone - shame on you for trying to guilt protestors into feeling responsible for that, just so you can fight for a corrupt status quo.

Last edited:

Ananke

Dunno what protest you saw but clearly wasn’t United’s.

You actually sound quite pathetic. ‘Trying to harm the livelihood of fans’ first of all no one is ‘trying’ to do that. The message is clear what these protests are about so don’t try and spin it. They’ll be side effects in doing, but don’t spout out that the protests are trying to inflict those side effects. Absolute drivel.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We should go as far as ethically possible to drive these parasites out. Things could've been so much worse if it wasn't for the genius of Fergie who kept us competitive even without significant backing. We as a fan base need to Unite and stay consistent in our endeavours to drive these utter vermin out of the club. If that means turning up outside Joel's residence or creating a barrier for TV companies like Sky/BT, then so be it. They're awful owners and their sheer incompetence should not be tolerated.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Would I accept seeing my club fall to the Moyes-level again after OGS slowly built it up over 2 years - NO!

The fans should work towards legislation - it's the only thing that guaranteed will force the Glazers hand
Legislation is the only legitimate way of removing these parasites from the club. The Glazers are afraid of the government. Evidenced by the way they disbanded the ESL move mere hours after being threatened with legislative action if they didn't.

It's worth pointing out that we're only in this position because the government refused to act when the Glazers initially floated the idea of taking over the club. They could and should have done something then.

The protests, while worthwhile in the sense that they allow the fans' voices to be heard, will achieve little towards removing the owners without assistance from a higher power.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Sorry, but how does protesting against the current ownership negatively affect fans of that club?

jim

In most joy
Since the Glazers took over, I've not paid for Sky, BT Sport or any other service, I haven't bought a match ticket, and I haven't bought any branded merchandise.

That is the most painful thing I can inflict on the Glazers, and realistically they're not going to give two shits because in the meantime income from TV and sponsorships has gone through the roof.

I can carry on my little protest for as long as I like, but I know full well it won't make a blind bit of difference.