How far do you think / expect us to get in the Europa League?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Not over one game no but if we had beat them over the last 2 seasons each time we met them no one could say city were better than us as a team
Yes they could. The table doesn't lie. I remember at one point we had a horrible run of games vs Blackburn where we went 3 draws and 2 losses in 5 matches in a row. Nobody in their right mind would even think to suggest that they were better than us. They just had a good string of luck against us just as Wolves have...

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
This will apply to the vast majority of these teams though I think - the inconsistency. None of these sides are top level teams, including ourselves. I would rate our chances as better than extremely slim, but its far too early to even think about relying on this for CL qualification. It will be a lot easier to finish above Chelsea than to win this thing, but its nice to have 2 chances to get there.
We are a young team, still coming together. That is not necessarily the case for others?

Paul_Scholes18

Its quite strange City being favourites. Last week made sense as Liverpool were still in danger of elimination, but now? Maybe its down to an expected toll on the squad from fixture congestion. Liverpool look pretty good value to me.
I think real madrid and Psg look strong this season. The odds do not rate Real without Ronaldo, but they have a great squad. PSG with Neymar and Navas should be stronger than the last two seasons.
Pep in europe has not worked outside Barcelona. This season they look much weaker than his past seasons so the odds are really crazy. They go on name rather than performance.

wolvored

Yes they could. The table doesn't lie. I remember at one point we had a horrible run of games vs Blackburn where we went 3 draws and 2 losses in 5 matches in a row. Nobody in their right mind would even think to suggest that they were better than us. They just had a good string of luck against us just as Wolves have...
We will have to agree to disagree then. I cant say one team is better than another if they cant beat that team over the last few games. Anything can happen over an odd game, but if it keeps happening, then it's a different story. You look at it differently to me that's all.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
We will have to agree to disagree then. I cant say one team is better than another if they cant beat that team over the last few games. Anything can happen over an odd game, but if it keeps happening, then it's a different story. You look at it differently to me that's all.
So if Norwich beats City again this year then in your mind you will think that Norwich is better? Not a chance. All it means is that they are better on the day. As stated, the league table doesn't lie...

stevoc

Not over one game no but if we had beat them over the last 2 seasons each time we met them no one could say city were better than us as a team
Which team has beaten United each and every time they've played them over the last 2 seasons?

stevoc

That is hypothetical, we havent beaten City over the last 2 seasons, read what I said.
We've beaten them 2 out of the last 3 seasons including a few days ago mate.

I read your post but i'm not sure many people would subscribe to your logic in regards to United hypothetically being equal to City and probably not even in regards to your larger point about United/Wolves.

We could have beaten City home and away the last 2 years and they still would have finished on 90+ points so of course they're a better team than us. No one saying otherwise could really be taken seriously.

United had one of their worst league campaigns in 30 years last season including a disastrous last 2 months of the season after the PSG win and yet still finished 9 points clear of Wolves so it's fair to say we were a better team than last season regardless of head to head results. Theres a very good chance we'll finish ahead of them this year too.

wolvored

So if Norwich beats City again this year then in your mind you will think that Norwich is better? Not a chance. All it means is that they are better on the day. As stated, the league table doesn't lie...
We've beaten them 2 out of the last 3 seasons including a few days ago mate.

I read your post but i'm not sure many people would subscribe to your logic in regards to United hypothetically being equal to City and probably not even in regards to your larger point about United/Wolves.

We could have beaten City home and away the last 2 years and they still would have finished on 90+ points so of course they're a better team than us. No one saying otherwise could really be taken seriously.

United had one of their worst league campaigns in 30 years last season including a disastrous last 2 months of the season after the PSG win and yet still finished 9 points clear of Wolves so it's fair to say we were a better team than last season regardless of head to head results. Theres a very good chance we'll finish ahead of them this year too.
Sorry I meant we havent beaten them every game. The city one was brought up by the other person. The original debate I was having was the other person said we were a much better team than wolves and I was comparing wolves who were 7th to our 6th last season and level now and the results stated over the 2 seasons, that there isn't much difference. Just my opinion.

stevoc

Sorry I meant we havent beaten them every game. The city one was brought up by the other person. The original debate I was having was the other person said we were a much better team than wolves and I was comparing wolves who were 7th to our 6th last season and level now and the results stated over the 2 seasons, that there isn't much difference. Just my opinion.
I'd been following the conversation mate sorry if it seems like i'm jumping in on your opinion.

Still though 9 points is a huge gap in the context of last seasons table. Outside of the gap between 2nd-3rd i think it was the biggest points gap in the table and as i said that only after a horrible campaign and disastrous end to the season for us, it should have been much bigger. I expect/hope that unless things go spectacularly wrong in the remainder of this season that the gap come May will be bigger.

And yes Wolves have had good results against us but they are set up to play against better sides and have been pretty successful against most of the top teams.

Foxbatt

Yes these clubs dropping from the CL would make it more difficult. It will be interesting if we have to play against Inter and Lukaku.

Hughie77

Utd were favs before a ball was kicked, probably smaller odds now, it's see how the other decent clubs take it, were going to struggle for top 4? So maybe another Europa league win is way to go, take one tie at a time!

lysglimt

Scout
The last time we won it, it was kind of expected, wasn't it?

I'm not sure the same can be said now.

However, if we do manage to get a full complement of players fit for the K.O. rounds, is backdoor entry into the CL feasible, or is the competition beyond us this year.

Bear in mind the strong sides in the competition as well as those from the CL who will dropping down into it.

Final list of Europa League demotees.

Inter Milan
RB Salzburg
Ajax Amsterdam
Benfica
Bayer Leverkusen
Club Bruges
Olympiakos
Shakhtar Donetsk

The last time we won it, we had as much luck as humanly possible. There were next to no good teams in the tournament, and the ones that were actually there all managed to trip out of the tournament after losing to a mediocre side (Like Spurs). And when we didn't play well, our opponents managed to miss an open goal with 2 minutes left to play (Celta Vigo)

It looks a lot tougher this year, and especially Inter Milan will be a tough one. If we are lucky, they will get a tough draw later on and go out. Benfica as well look really strong - and I want to avoid english teams. But of course our goal should be to win it.

Valuedrug

Still think we’ll struggle to get in the top four given the lack of quality in the squad and management. Not to mention how thin our selection is. And how clueless we seem playing against defensive side. Unless all of that magically changes soon, the Europa League is likely to be our only way back in, so it should be a priority.

Hopefully the heavy weights will be caught up in their domestic competitions. Inter and Gladbach are obvious threats, but they’re likely to be competing for the title back home, and will almost certainly be secured Champions League participation anyway.

Then we have the likes of Ajax and Arsenal, who could play into our hands a bit with the way they set up. Not too worried about them. Frankfurt seem to have lost the spark they had last season.

Roma might struggle to secure a top four finish, which could help us if they choose to put the league first. Then there is Benfica, who seem to score a ton of goals, but I don’t know them at all. Wolves are definitely a force to be reckoned with.

Anyway, all of this is irrelevant speculation. No doubt we’ll draw Rangers and old Stevie G will get the better of us. It does seem to be “their” year after all :rolleyes:

AshRK

Teams I would avoid facing in the KO would be inter and wolves. Rest I wouldn't mind.