How far off is this squad from a title challenge?

Giggsyking

Very far. We're not winning the league with Martial leading the line.
Rashford gets vastly overrated as well on here.
Rashford is not the fecking manager. He is not responsible for creating spaces and patterns of play. It is the manager's responsibility to make sure the team can attack shit teams like today. But he is just a spectator witnessing what the players are doing.

Womp

idiot
Typical knee jerk post. I'm not defending Ole but a lot of them players aren't as good as we'd like to think.
Knee jerk? We were languishing in mid table before Bruno came in. Let's not even take into account the moments of brilliance these past few weeks, against shite teams that have got us wins. This team is where it is due to moments of individuality, not due to superior coaching.

If not for Bruno, he wouldn't even be in a job anymore. So let's cut out this knee jerk rubbish. What was knee jerk was thinking we were in a title race after a few jammy wins.

Mainoldo

Well I enjoyed the Unity for a couple weeks lads. It was fun. Shame they couldn’t have voided the season last week.

How far are we? Exactly how far I thought we was.

Godfather

The only overreaction was that people really thought we could win it with the football we showed week in week out. Grinding results out was never sustainable

Bojan11

Yea it’s a dreadful result tonight, Dreadful. But it’s one game, how can be people be so quick to right off the manager and players again and lose all hope of a good season after just one game. I just find that amazing
Martial has been shocking all season. This is the tipping point. It’s also the work rate of certain players. Old man Cavani putting them to shame.

SER19

Expectations are the killer.
We all thought we'd cruise this in a low gear and rest a couple for Arsenal.

We've massively pressurised that game now, and they're on the way back up again.

If we'd just drawn it, it would have been something, but that min before their winner was true keystone cops nonsense.
Yeah the manner of the defeat is what's so eye opening. Any team pushing for the title can hit a freak result but that isn't what this was. We barely had a proper chance

Glorio

This team does get complacent. That's the extra step - it reacts well to adversity, but when things are going great, we seem to go to the next game looking to stroll through

JohnnyKills

Martial has been shocking all season. This is the tipping point. It’s also the work rate of certain players. Old man Cavani putting them to shame.
What did Cavani do tonight exactly? He's still to score at Old Trafford btw

Yakuza_devils

Exactly, but it's still annoying as feck losing to such a fecking rubbish team. This season, despite the fact that we never really were going to win it - will imo be our only opportunity to win it. Ole is never going to be anywhere near good enough as a coach - and Liverpool and City had a drop off in their performances. With Pep and Klopp sticking around, with the opportunity to revitalize their teams, anyone that genuinely thinks Ole will ever get us a title is kidding themselves.
It will be worse next season. With Pep and Kloop in charge, next season could be 100 points season to win the league again.

We are not a well coached team and our tactic is inferior and boring. We depended too much on individual brilliance.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah the manner of the defeat is what's so eye opening. Any team pushing for the title can hit a freak result but that isn't what this was. We barely had a proper chance
Just an infuriating night.

Should have had their goal ruled out for the push, but once it went in, they just went ultra defensive.

But having got back in it, to then concede was utterly criminal.
Just so disappointing and while it doesn't totally kill the spirit, it feels a huge loss.

I dare say in a few weeks it might not feel so big if we're down to 5th battling for 4th

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Yes to this game, not the season has a whole being over already after just this one result
The season isn't over though. No one is saying that. We're not going to win the league though. I'd take second in a heartbeat and we build from there.

I'm "Ole In" completely.

Womp

idiot
What a bunch of knee jerk muppets in here. Considering we had one of the worst starts to the season in recent history with terrible home form and still sat top of the league at the mid point. One loss doesn’t put an end to us being in the mix.

Yes we played shockingly but usually bounce back from these and go on a decent run so calm down.
It's not about this one game. We are point behind City, who have a game in hand and they look a million miles ahead of us, with their best players yet to even come back from injury. Anyone that genuinely thought we had a shot at the title was having a laugh. What's annoying is the goal now is top 4, we will get it, it will be enough to keep Ole in the job, we will rinse and repeat next season, once again looking clueless in positional play, movement and passing.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What did Cavani do tonight exactly? He's still to score at Old Trafford btw
He's started two games in a row, so expecting him to be fresh for another is a bit harsh.
Martial has been off it all season now. It's becoming a worry.

mu4c_20le

Rashford is not the fecking manager. He is not responsible for creating spaces and patterns of play. It is the manager's responsibility to make sure the team can attack shit teams like today. But he is just a spectator witnessing what the players are doing.
I saw our players constantly attempting one twos, and executing other patterns of play. Not sure what game you were watching.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
He needs 6 seconds to seemingly duel with the defender for some reason every time he gets the ball in a face to face stand off before passing it back or losing the ball (by which time the other team's defense is getting into shape fyi)

He consistently makes the incorrect decision near the box, costing us potential goals

He misses chances at an alarming rate (he didn't even get a chance tonight I know, talking about other games)

Half assed pressing and defending. Just look at the McGoldrick chance, he literally the Sheff Utd player go in front of him and shrugs his shoulders

He's vastly overrated on here because he'll score a few goals and all will be dandy. Then we're sat here as usual in Jan/Feb thinking "hang on, why are we so far behind other teams if we have world class Martial and Rashford playing for us?"

I'm not pro or anti Ole but tonight wasn't on the manager.

SER19

Just an infuriating night.

Should have had their goal ruled out for the push, but once it went in, they just went ultra defensive.

But having got back in it, to then concede was utterly criminal.
Just so disappointing and while it doesn't totally kill the spirit, it feels a huge loss.

I dare say in a few weeks it might not feel so big if we're down to 5th battling for 4th
Which we may well be. Performances at old Trafford have been so bad. Everton and Southampton next. Both far better than these

Terminator

Very far. Get a RW, CDM and CB perhaps then we can talk.

Edit: and a striker obviously, cavani is too old

Sparky Rhiwabon

The good thing is that we basically still need what we needed in the summer:

A right winger - maybe Diallo will step up but it feels like an awful lot of responsibility for a young player
A DCM to replace Matic
A CB to replace Maguire

(and probably another striker - CavanI can’t play every game)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Which we may well be. Performances at old Trafford have been so bad. Everton and Southampton next. Both far better than these
Arsenal away next is enough of a concern.
We've lost there for a few years in a row, they're back into some form, and we're not great.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Cavani hasn't scored a home goal yet and he's our best forward. Oh my god :lol:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
He actually ran, which is something Martial and Rashford forgot to do.
Martial and rashford should be ashamed of themselves and their work rate when they see the effort to get the ball back and attack again that cavani shows

thedvil

If you want to be serious about challenging for a title then you must concede Rashford and Martial should not be starting games for us, they need to be replaced but keep Rashford as he would make an excellent sub, i dont think the defence is as bad as people think any maybe one quailty defender in would be enough there.

We need a great striker in their prime simple and not to be putting all our hopes in Cavani who i love but he is aged and no where near his prime or greenwood who has signs of being great but stilll has to learn his trade, Martial should'nt be even considered as a striker, Basically we need to replace the front three and get a quailty defender in.

We are at least 2 transfer windows away from being considered a title challenger and i believe we will make the right transfers to make that happen, this was never going to be an overnight transformation and we should be happy to be so high in the table with the squad we have at the moment.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
@el3mel I'll be the bigger man I'll give you a shout out and check in on the "team putting a good run together" point we were talking about before Christmas. I haven't been able to watch games since around the new year and I'm going to try and continue to keep this good luck charm going by staying away. I'm getting in before the inevitable self fulfilling prophecy gut punch comes to ask you how you feel about the players starting to take some responsibility now and play harder and take fate into their own hands? The biggest example in what seems to be better and more attentive performances from Pogba as well as the defence from what I've been reading here.

Lets hope they can keep it going and they don't get toppled and derailed if we get a couple of dodgy results to end Jan!
@el3mel there you go, I'm glad I got this one in before the gut punch today. From here, this is where our season begins. It will say a lot about the mentality of these players.

RonaldoVII

Knee jerk? We were languishing in mid table before Bruno came in. Let's not even take into account the moments of brilliance these past few weeks, against shite teams that have got us wins. This team is where it is due to moments of individuality, not due to superior coaching.

If not for Bruno, he wouldn't even be in a job anymore. So let's cut out this knee jerk rubbish. What was knee jerk was thinking we were in a title race after a few jammy wins.
Yes typical knee jerk response after a poor performance. We were 5th when we signed Bruno? It's lazy to claim our goals are all from moments of brilliance and just blame Ole for the poor performances. Praise the players when we win but blame the manager when we don't? Have a day off.

If your mum had testicles she'd be your dad. Who signed Bruno?

Godfather

Agreed. Martial and Rahsford have been utter wank too but Ole is massively to blame too

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The season isn't over though. No one is saying that. We're not going to win the league though. I'd take second in a heartbeat and we build from there.

I'm "Ole In" completely.
I think some were but hey oh. Good game against Arsenal to bounce back with hopefully

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Neatly sums up the difference between where we actually are as a team and where some of the overblown talk suggested we are.

Stacks

People need to remember we were outperforming our XG and should be 7th. We have conceded the most goals in the top 11. I know we shipped 6 vs Spurs but CIty got thrashed one game and still only conceded 13 all season. Even if Spurs only beat us 3-1 we would still have conceded the joint most in the top 11. Combined with our misfiring forwards its a MIRACLE we were in 1st place

Siorac

It's been nice to be top but a correction has been a long time coming.
Yup, this. We never looked like title contenders, just a team on a good run of results. We'll fight for top 4 as we always do.

Godfather

Don't understand how people don't understand this.
Blind faith in a club legend. Bless them. Won't win anything with him though. I see zero progress against deep sitting teams. We created feck all from open play today. Our football is tumescent and predictable. City smash teams like these with or without a fit striker in their ranks

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Arsenal, Saints and Everton next three. I would suggest we are in a race for top four soon enough. How underwhelming.