How far off is this squad from a title challenge?

Cardozo

It's not about this one game. We are point behind City, who have a game in hand and they look a million miles ahead of us, with their best players yet to even come back from injury. Anyone that genuinely thought we had a shot at the title was having a laugh. What's annoying is the goal now is top 4, we will get it, it will be enough to keep Ole in the job, we will rinse and repeat next season, once again looking clueless in positional play, movement and passing.
The goal isn’t top 4 at all. In what world has anyone written off second place when the gaps 4 points? We’re a million miles ahead of where we were last season.

We’ve always had wobbles against the bottom clubs even in fergies reign. We’ll reset and go again.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Blind faith in a club legend. Bless them. Won't win anything with him though. I see zero progress against deep sitting teams. We created feck all from open play today. Our football is tumescent and predictable. City smash teams like these with or without a fit striker in their ranks
So you haven't noticed any improvement in our play and results since Ole took over?

Giggs' right foot

People need to remember we were outperforming our XG and should be 7th. We have conceeded the most goals in the top 11. I know we shipped 6 vs Spurs but CIty got thrashed one game and still only coneeded 13. Even if Spurs only beat us 3-1 we would have conceeded the joint most in the top 11. Combined with our misfiring forwards its a MIRACLE we were in 1st place
Looking at xGoals and xPts we would only have been three off of Liverpool last season with 74pts. vs 71pts. - is xG really then a fair and useable tool when Liverpool in reality finished 33 points ahead of us? To me, it's a funny corner of the stat-world, but to use it as a truer league table than the actual league table? I think that is to give it too much value.

Siorac

It will be worse next season. With Pep and Kloop in charge, next season could be 100 points season to win the league again.
Yeah, it's a bit frustrating because this season is like 2015/16: a team that at least somewhat has its shit together can fight its way to a league title with something like 80-85 points. With Covid, and the injuries at Liverpool and City, this could have been our big chance - except it was pretty much always clear that even this is beyond us. In terms of points we were on course to challenge but we never looked like potential title winners.

Of course we can say this team is not ready yet and next season with a couple of additions we'll be stronger - but if normality is resumed next season, we won't stand a chance.

JohnnyKills

So you haven't noticed any improvement in our play and results since Ole took over?
His management of the squad has been superb. We've got rid of almost all the deadwood and brought through a crop of really good young players.

But it's hard to see how our key players - Pogba, Martial, Rashford - have improved under him.

Is that fair?

Mainoldo

Agree. We're just another team scrapping for top four. The fact that the board still haven't renewed Ole is telling.
The only thing I cling onto. His press conference around no discussions with the board... one can hope they’ve actually woken up to the fact they cannot trust this guy.

Godfather

No. Our best football post Fergie came under Mou in his first season here. Last season we at least had some games where we completely outscored to opponent. We are not even doing that anymore. Apart from Leeds we had to grind out almost every single result this season without looking anything special.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Yeah, it's a bit frustrating because this season is like 2015/16: a team that at least somewhat has its shit together can fight its way to a league title with something like 80-85 points. With Covid, and the injuries at Liverpool and City, this could have been our big chance - except it was pretty much always clear that even this is beyond us. In terms of points we were on course to challenge but we never looked like potential title winners.

Of course we can say this team is not ready yet and next season with a couple of additions we'll be stronger - but if normality is resumed next season, we won't stand a chance.
With Covid?!!!

We were one of the hardest hit teams due to that. We ran our players into the ground and then had to restart the season less than two months later. The results at the start of the season reflects that. If you look at the year as a whole, then we are one of the form teams. Anyone denying the improvement is living in a dream world.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
With Covid?!!!

We were one of the hardest hit teams due to that. We ran our players into the ground and then had to restart the season less than two months later. The results at the start of the season reflects that. If you look at the year as a whole, then we are one of the form teams. Anyone denying the improvement is living in a dream world.
It’s amazing to see isn’t it. We have a better chance this year because Liverpool and city have had to deal with Covid, like we haven’t.

Stacks

Looking at xGoals and xPts we would only have been three off of Liverpool last season with 74pts. vs 71pts. - is xG really then a fair and useable tool when Liverpool in reality finished 33 points ahead of us? To me, it's a funny corner of the stat-world, but to use it as a truer league table than the actual league table? I think that is to give it too much value.
Look where Liverpool are at now? My housemate said all last season that Pool would not win this year due to their XG from last year.

talking robot

Until we can find a number 9 capable of regularly putting the ball in the back of the net, we aren't going to be able to seriously challenge. Throw in a Haaland type striker, and I think we could go all the way in the league.

Ludens the Red

What I’d say watching that game is that in order for us to keep up with the results we were having, we need to be bang on it every game and have either Pogba or Bruno in match winning form. We didn’t have any of those today and that was the result. Our effort and desire dropped off significantly today and we’re not a good enough team to just turn up and steamroll teams.

Mainoldo

Until we can find a number 9 capable of regularly putting the ball in the back of the net, we aren't going to be able to seriously challenge. Throw in a Haaland type striker, and I think we could go all the way in the league.
I really believe we have to get a number 9 to finally realise our problem is not a number 9. Do people even watch the whole team.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Well opinions isn't it. But with games like these you can't seriously suggest we've actually improved much
You can't make judgements based on individual games. Surely our seasons under Mourinho could tell you that much?!

It was a terrible performance. Let's see what we all think of it a month from now.

siw2007

It was clear we had done exceptionally well to get to the top of the league, we were definitely going to fall down somewhat, just shocked it’s this game.

In order for us to close the gap, we need a more balanced squad and team selection. I didn’t like the system tonight and never have done. But we need to get hold of a top class central defender, a dominant central midfielder and a genuine right winger. With this our team would have more stability and consistency in performance.

pascell

Anyone that genuinely thinks we are in the same universe as City when it comes to coaching and patterns of play really needs to help me understand what they are seeing.
And when they tell you, let me know, so I can have a chuckle. Be welcome after watching that dire performance.

Siorac

With Covid?!!!

Our 2020 form was... between good and decent. It's an improvement over 2018/19, certainly. But it's not a 90+ point season form and even though City and Liverpool have regressed, significantly, we're still third behind them in the calendar year. And I think in a way we did benefit from Covid: it has been the great equaliser. It makes sense, too: you have less time to prepare for games, they come thick and fast so of course there's more 'randomness' in the results.

The actual best teams will be back to their best once normality resumes. We'll be fighting for top 4, as per usual.

saivet

The only overreaction was that people really thought we could win it with the football we showed week in week out. Grinding results out was never sustainable
This is very true. Our last convincing win and performance was against Leeds who played into our hands perfectly. I was hoping tonight would be a night where we showed something more convincing but it wasn't to be.

I'm an optimist, so still think we can win it, but our performances need to be more consistent.

Murray3007

What a bunch of knee jerk muppets in here. Considering we had one of the worst starts to the season in recent history with terrible home form and still sat top of the league at the mid point. One loss doesn’t put an end to us being in the mix.

Yes we played shockingly but usually bounce back from these and go on a decent run so calm down.
it aint about the loss anyone can lose but simply the way you lose games, tonight was actually terrible, for players not to be up for it is a big concern.

maximus419

I predict utd will go on a poor run now. We've seen it often with these players, they have spells of winning form, then spells of struggling to score, lack of desire etc.

I think by the end of Feb they will be out of the top 4. The main problem is lack of depth in squad. No real alternatives to the forward players, and if likes of Shaw, Bruno or pogna don't play or struggle, utd don't have the quality elsewhere to carry them.

manutdrphenomenal

To win league this year it seems to be about putting together few wins in a row. I am very sure if we go on a similar run again then we would be top again. We just have to ensure we do better in same games during second half of the season. Should have beaten Leicester but we didn’t. Same for Liverpool game. Then taken more initiative vs Chelsea. We did nothing vs Arsenal. These games plus other games where we conceded first then woke up. Those have to be better.

as for people blaming Ole. If he has a genuine right sided player and striker who scores regularly then we would be so much better.
my point here is that he has improved the team so much that it is possibly 1-2 obvious signings away from getting to absolute peak. We have to ensure we make those signings.

SAFMUTD

Agree. We're just another team scrapping for top four. The fact that the board still haven't renewed Ole is telling.
We shouldn't to be fair, we know what happened the last time we renewed him.

Also whats our risk? Do you seriously believe another team will steal him?

The decision is ours to make, and we should wait as long as we can to make it.

Dominos

From the meltdown season we've improved, and from the 1st half of last season for sure.

I'm not convinced we're any better than Mourinho's 2nd place 17/18 team that had a better points per game and actually managed to get out the CL group stage.. And I don't think anyone thought that was a top team either.

We've overperformed our expected points this season and scraped a lot of wins that on another day we'd have dropped points, when you ride the wave of positive variance then you eventually come unstuck because performance levels aren't high enough to keep winning every game.

We've won 1 league game convincingly all season which was Leeds. And we've played the likes of Burnley Fulham and Sheffield in the last few games and couldn't win 1 of them comfortably.

mu4c_20le

It isn't about losing him. It's about removing the feeling of uncertainty from the dressing room.

Roane

For me it's increasingly becoming a management issue.

Let me explain why.

Ole has been rotating but not wisely imo. He changes the MF for example to suit certain teams but players like Tuanzebe need minutes here and there or will look rusty if put in like tonight after a while out.

Starting with a team you think is best is fair enough but when you see, like tonight, that the team is devoid of ideas in the final third, make changes. For me mata would have been a good sub to bring on with vdb or cavani as SU wanted us to stay wide (which we obliged). Playing through the middle would have upset SU plan

The subs were too late. Whilst I hate mourinho his taking off players after 30 minutes if a plan wasn't working was exactly what you need from a manager

Rashford and Martial need dropping if poor. That's on the manager. Ole talks the talk and will say things like Cavani showing our forwards a thing or two about movement and positioning, but we don't see that in game

Pogba and Matic has failed got us do many times and wasn't working today. That's on Ole imo

We need to ensure we win these games as then we have leeway with the tougher ones. Complacency can't be allowed

I in no way bought into the hype about us winning the league. Just enjoyed the moment and the ride. However the performance against a team like SU (with all due respect) is nothing short of a disgrace. Results can happen but performances need to be earnt

JohnnyKills

Agree.

SAFMUTD

It isn't about losing him. It's about removing the feeling of uncertainty from the dressing room.
Do you think we have that feeling? I dont think so, but if we do then good. Players should fight to prove he's the right man.

Why take that pressure of him? For all we know this could also be a purple patch like the ones we had before and we could enter another shifty spell in any moment.

Siorac

We've overperformed our expected points this season and scraped a lot of wins that on another day we'd have dropped points, when you ride the wave of positive variance then you eventually come unstuck because performance levels aren't high enough to keep winning every game.
Pretty much exactly like that 2017/18 team. It's less soul-crushing to watch us this time around though so that's nice.

Stacks

From the meltdown season we've improved, and from the 1st half of last season for sure.

I'm not convinced we're any better than Mourinho's 2nd place 17/18 team that had a better points per game and actually managed to get out the CL group stage.. And I don't think anyone thought that was a top team either.

We've won 1 league game convincingly all season which was Leeds. And we've played the likes of Burnley Fulham and Sheffield in the last few games and couldn't win 1 of them comfortably.
My housemate was saying this. We can never expect a "routine win" so to speak.

Dominos

Pretty much exactly like that 2017/18 team. It's less soul-crushing to watch us this time around though so that's nice.
I agree. My point wasn't that 17/18 was a great team, they were nowhere near good enough either. The context difference is just that City aren't as good this year so won't run away with it on 100 points.

Crustanoid

A million miles due to our parasitic ownership. We shouldn’t even be in this position right now.

Siorac

I agree. My point wasn't that 17/18 was a great team, they were nowhere near good enough either. The context difference is just that City aren't as good this year so won't run away with it on 100 points.
No, I understood: we're not much, if at all, better than that 2017/18 side which wasn't brilliant in the first place. I just wanted to emphasise the similarity: we keep getting away with subpar performances and I keep worrying that it will catch up with us eventually, as it most certainly did in 2018.