How good a manager is Diego Simeone?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He is a great manager but his football is a disgrace.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Do Atleti fans still back him? His status there is cemented and overall has done an amazing job but surely it’s time to move on now
He's basically unsackable but danger is it will turn into a Wenger type reign now although I guess Atletico fans will remain happy as long as they finish top 4 and are in contention for a trophy given what they went through in late 90s/2000s.

Must admit I'm amazed he hasn't worked in Serie A yet. Perhaps he'll became Argentina boss instead if he decides Atletico Madrid will be his only club job as a manager.

BorisManUtd

I don't care about Atletico much these days but such a shame they couldn't win at least on of those 2 CL finals in 2014 and 2016. Were so close to it both times.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
He's basically unsackable but danger is it will turn into a Wenger type reign now although I guess Atletico fans will remain happy as long as they finish top 4 and are in contention for a trophy given what they went through in late 90s/2000s.

Must admit I'm amazed he hasn't worked in Serie A yet. Perhaps he'll became Argentina boss instead if he decides Atletico Madrid will be his only club job as a manager.
To be honest two league titles and two CL finals from 2011-2021 is absolutely incredible and he deserves constant support for that until it really goes aflame

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
His team always always play the most boring football you will see. Truly abysmal
Jose and Conte say hi. I guess all are cut from the same cloth really, minor tweaks here and there for all of them. But defensive minded football that modern football fans will turn on the instant results dry up.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Jose and Conte say hi. I guess all are cut from the same cloth really, minor tweaks here and there for all of them. But defensive minded football that modern football fans will turn on the instant results dry up.
I'd take Jose and Conte ahead of him even if it's generally the same philosophy

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Not a chance.

wr8_utd

:'(
Jose and Conte play like prime Brazil and Netherlands compared to Simeone's football.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Finished dead last in a group including Bayer Neverkusen, In Bruges, and Porto. Earning that payslip.

Irwin99

He did pretty well to be as competitive for so long against Barca and Real but maybe this is the end of the road for him.

Edit: 8 trophies and two champions league finals in 11 years in such a league is pretty good.

Last edited:

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Total failure this season from Simeone!!!!!

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I think it's a little exaggerated to say this is the end for him. Atletico were bounced from the CL group stages 5 seasons ago too, after drawing twice against Qarabag, an Azerbaijani club. They rebounded and won the league a few years later.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
At one point I was actually advocating for him to be United's manger :nervous:

Chairman Steve

He’s not only a hero manager in the eyes of Atletico, but also a hero player. Therefore I think he’ll get a pass if they continue being bad this season, but questions should be asked if it’s still happening this time next year.

He‘d be great in Italy for sure.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He's an excellent manager - proven world class i'd say but yeah, his football is an eyesore and i wouldn't want him anywhere near our club. His next move is probably to Serie A (Inter?) where his shit-housing style might thrive, especially when competing against the European clubs with more money.

He should be moving on soon, but then you fear for the competitiveness of la liga (again). They've/he's done well to turn it into a big 3 of sorts.

BEST No7

He's an excellent manager - proven world class i'd say but yeah, his football is an eyesore and i wouldn't want him anywhere near our club. His next move is probably to Serie A (Inter?) where his shit-housing style might thrive, especially when competing against the European clubs with more money.

He should be moving on soon, but then you fear for the competitiveness of la liga (again). They've/he's done well to turn it into a big 3 of sorts.
Yep. Underdog manager. He upsets the natural order of things, Juve he could dominate for a decade

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yep. Underdog manager. He upsets the natural order of things, Juve he could dominate for a decade
Yeah i think serie a would suit him well and he used to play for inter, isn't it? i agree about the underdog bit though im not sure about the spending figures, but i have a feeling he has spent a decent amount at atleti - albeit, they've also sold/recouped some money from sales. so not quite sure where he stands on the spending/net spend spectrum, versus other top managers/clubs.

BEST No7

Yeah i think serie a would suit him well and he used to play for inter, isn't it? i agree about the underdog bit though im not sure about the spending figures, but i have a feeling he has spent a decent amount at atleti - albeit, they've also sold/recouped some money from sales. so not quite sure where he stands on the spending/net spend spectrum, versus other top managers/clubs.
He did Yeah. Played against our treble team. I'm not sure tbh....the 2 big money signings aren't, shit_house players...

Felix and Greizman. I think the club made them to pretend their in the big league. Serie A is his perfect place

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He did Yeah. Played against our treble team. I'm not sure tbh....the 2 big money signings aren't, shit_house players...

Felix and Greizman. I think the club made them to pretend their in the big league. Serie A is his perfect place
I suppose they got silly money back for Griezmann anyway. Yeah i think he is nailed on for Inter when he leaves Atletico, but i guess nothing is guaranteed in football.

BEST No7

I suppose they got silly money back for Griezmann anyway. Yeah i think he is nailed on for Inter when he leaves Atletico, but i guess nothing is guaranteed in football.
Yeah most likely Inter will be his next move. I like him and can see why Atleti fans love him. He gives a shit, passion personified

RoyH1

13 points from the top in La Liga and now embarrassingly knocked out of the Cup by Athletic. Still alive in the CL but a goal down to Inter with a match to play in their tie.

Best paid manager in the world from what I can read most places. Earns more than Ancelotti, Xavi and Valverde combined. Surely the time has come for Atleti to start considering a cheaper option?

Red Star One

13 points from the top in La Liga and now embarrassingly knocked out of the Cup by Athletic. Still alive in the CL but a goal down to Inter with a match to play in their tie.

Best paid manager in the world from what I can read most places. Earns more than Ancelotti, Xavi and Valverde combined. Surely the time has come for Atleti to start considering a cheaper option?
Yeah his salary is ridiculous and he's in twice as many Spanish ads than all other managers combined, Cholo is a very money hungry man.

still one of the top top managers in the world and an absolute legend for Atleti, even if their football is ugly he gave them more success than they could've expected.

RoyH1

Yeah his salary is ridiculous and he's in twice as many Spanish ads than all other managers combined, Cholo is a very money hungry man.

still one of the top top managers in the world and an absolute legend for Atleti, even if their football is ugly he gave them more success than they could've expected.
No doubt about him being an absolute legend for Atletico and made them a force to be reckoned with. But is he still one of the "top, top" managers in the world? I'm not so sure. I'd like to hear what other people think about this.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Is their football even ugly at this day and age? I wouldn't say so myself. He's changed quite a bit.

Rojofiam

No doubt about him being an absolute legend for Atletico and made them a force to be reckoned with. But is he still one of the "top, top" managers in the world? I'm not so sure. I'd like to hear what other people think about this.
I think Simeone isn't the problem and he should leave Atletico. He could probably go to Inter or Chelsea in the future.