How good are our kids really?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Well we dont have time. Everyone is calling for the kids to take up the squad places that are being vacated by the 10 plus players leaving since we cant buy 10 plus players. So we need to decide. Are they good enough or not.
They're not good enough, face the reality.

IF they're good enough to replace 11 EPL players playing 38 games in a season it means that our coaching staff is blind and didn't see who they train everyday.

You don't magically produce Top level footballer by dropping them into the baptism of fire, this is not FM. Playing 11 kids would get us slaughtered big time. Even if they're skillful enough (big if) most of them aren't developed fully physical wise.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I strongly believe Hannibal is likely to be just as good as Bellingham, Pedri, Gavi and the likes if given the opportunity. He was rated just as highly as all of those 2 to 3 years ago, in fact I believe if he where to be at Barca now he would have played just as many minutes as Pedri, Gavi and we'd all be raving about him now as we are doing for those two.
I don't think he was rated quite as highly in fairness. Plus he's still maturing mentally, don't want him to get any stupid red cards costing the team the game and ruin his confidence. We should be giving him minutes off the bench though for sure. Problem is the first teamers are taking the piss so throwing youngsters in isn't easy.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
A lot of it is down to drive and determination to make it. The ones who have good technical skills or physical qualities are often the ones talked up to make it, but often leads to complacency as they don't realise their potential.

I mean utd have a history of players who've made it in the first team that aren't stand outs, they've just maximised their potential and been able to make it as a useful squad player. Likes of O'Shea, Neville's, lingard, mctominay etc, none of them were regarded as top players in their position and even at youth level, few really excelled.

In truth it's just really tough to make it at utd. Players don't get opportunity to develop naturally through the club, they usually have to get a few loans and hope it works out. Unlike clubs like Ajax and others who develop their youth with the sole intention of moulding them into first team players. Utd tend to just hope a few make it but without much real planning.
If you're good enough you'll get time.

They're loaned out and failed to make impression because they're actually not good enough. We could have loaned young Beck, Young Scholes to L2 and they'll still shine, because they're that good.

Red Rash

It's impossible to tell until we start giving them game time with the first team. When I look at young players through history there are a bunch I was sure would make it but ended up leaving the club.

On the flip side there are also quite a few names that made the step up surprisingly like Rashford (who I knew nothing about at the time) and McTominay in more recent years.

For a young player to make it requires a number of factors including talent, workrate, mentality and also luck either in lots of injuries giving them a chance such as Rashford or being the kind of player a manager likes with McTominay under Mourinho.

I don't watch every youth game but I try to read up on some of these players and watch highlights and based on this I really like Hannibal, Amad, Mainoo, Garner, Garnacho, Fernandez and Laird. I think these are players who could do well under the right circumstances (I'm probably missing some names out).

The reality is that however well they do in the youth teams or on loan we will only really know if they can make it here once they start playing matches for the first team. I think this season is a great chance as we will be losing at least 6-8, although I can see it being higher, first team squad players this season and the talk seems to be around bringing in 4-5 new players.

Also the new rules allowing 5 subs per game should benefit young players as we have more opportunities to start to introduce them to first team football.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think Utd have produced more professional players than most teams (just not necessarily playing for us). The problem is there a big difference to being Utd ready than most teams in the world because of our history associated with young footballers and the pressure that comes with it. You think if Greenwood played for Norwich, the things he’s allegedly done would name the front and back pages of the newspapers? The FA youth club had a record number of people watching it. You have to protect Utd young players in different ways to any other team, especially from our own fans!!!!
We have wasted a large amount of these players because I believe that many of them had more to offer and we stunted their growth with poor early coaching and limited playing time. By all account United seems to be genuinely great at identifying talents but we are not good at nurturing and developing them. How many of our youth players have minor flaws at 17 years old that are never fixed, how many of our youth players only get playing time after 19/20 years old.

phelans shorts

This is very false.

Youngster don't need to be given games to see if they're ready or not. We have training and U21 matches for that. CO92 wasn't given games to see if they're ready or not, they're given time because they are fecking ready to step up. Not the other way around. Camavinga getting games at 17 because he has shown in training he's more than ready for what's ahead. Give Laird 10 games he'll probably fumble under the pressure, because technically the manager doesn't see him as ready. The same with most youngster around the world.

Giving them 10 games doesn't make or break them as a player, so if we're not seeing kids getting time the brutal truth is that none of them are ready or deemed good enough to be given a chance.

Stop blaming the Manager for not playing youth, in a hindsight non of our academy players are top level quality (including Rashford)
Well this isn’t true either. Sometimes a sink or swim technique is required with players, even young players. Some players turn it on when the chips are down, and you can only know for certain when you’re in that position. However this comes with an innate risk, the risk that they sink. If they sink it can easily cost games, and costing games can cost a spot in continental competition in our case, or a place in the league for those below us.

Many managers are risk averse, because they know such a big risk could very easily cost them their job and the club lots of money. Add in the state of United (and probably more importantly the fan base) right now and managers are even more likely to be averse to throwing a young player in, because they’re even more likely to sink due to the toxic atmosphere.

You’ve way oversimplified what isn’t an easy move. Players like Pedri/Camavinga get game time at a massive club because they were stars at smaller clubs already and merely stepped up, Gavi is the only comparable one in there because he was thrown in the deep end due to the unique circumstances Barcelona are in.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Probably a controversial opinion but for me, the point of the modern Academy shouldn't really be produce players for the first XI.

The chances of THE best player, or even a 'top 10' player, in THAT position coming through your Academy and perfectly suiting your style of football as an ELITE side are very slim.

For example, Manchester City have Phil Foden, who starts about half of the time, and Liverpool have TAA. They are the only two Academy products who start in the 'best XIs' of those sides.

A realistic objective for the Academy should be to produce players who fill out the 23. So you might expect to produce a 2nd choice GK, or a 4th choice CM, or a 2nd choice wide-forward, for example. This saves you money buying these players in and creates a pathway into the team for the younger lads.

However, for me, in modern football, the primary role of the Academy should be to 'farm' players to sell to other clubs. Now, we have done this very, very poorly in recent years. Primarily because of this old-school philosophy SAF had that we somehow owed these lads a chance to kickstart their careers, meaning we'd let them go for little to no money.

That kind of romanticism might have been fine in the 90s/early 00s but it isn't any longer, particularly with the fees some of these lads go for. We only have to look at some of the fees paid or quoted for lads we have produced to see we are missing out massively. Drinkwater won a league title and then went to Chelsea for £50m. Micheal Keane went to Everton for £30m. We've seen decent fees paid for the likes of James Chester, Ryan Shawcross and Sam Johnstone, plus their are literally 50 more we could all name that are playing in England's top two divisions and top leagues in Europe.

What would our net spend look like if we had maximised the value of these lads, like Liverpool do? What would our net spend have looked like had we been smarter with the likes of Dean Henderson, Scott McTominay, Adnan Janujaz and Marcus Rashford?

For me, the process is simple. IF they are not considered talented enough to play for the first team by the time they are 18, then it should becoming all about marketing them. Get them on 'soft loans' to clubs in leagues were they can pad their stats. Build some hype about them. Give them the odd few minutes in a couple of dead-rubber games, or games that are done and dusted.

Then, we should look to sell them with a buy-back clause inserted. That way, if ever they do really hit the heights, we can just bring them back, The chances are, we never would though. Would we bring back Henderson, McTominay, Rashford or Janujaz now, had we sold them all at 21? Very doubtful.

Harsh, I know. Perhaps not what some fans want to hear. Ultimately though, I think we would be a much better team for it, as the funds can then be used to buy players who genuinely are elite or suited to our system. Plus, arguably it's actually better for the young lads. All of these loans can't help their careers. Look at Tuanzebe. Look at Lingard. Who knows? Both could have been top PL players, had they been moved on earlier.
I feel strongly about United promoting youth but have to say that this has a lot of sound logic to it. I'd probably give a bigger emphasis to aiming for the kids to be squad options, and increase the cut off age to 20 but either way, this trend of chucking kids into the team as starters (not squad players) doesn't quite sit well with the ambitions of a big club.

Having said that if you have a poor first 11 then obviously there's a temptation to give a performing youngster a chance.

phelans shorts

If you're good enough you'll get time.

They're loaned out and failed to make impression because they're actually not good enough. We could have loaned young Beck, Young Scholes to L2 and they'll still shine, because they're that good.
Harry Kane had shitloads of failed loans then shone when thrown in with Spurs, and is now well on his way to breaking Shearers goal record.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We have wasted a large amount of these players because I believe that many of them had more to offer and we stunted their growth with poor early coaching and limited playing time. By all account United seems to be genuinely great at identifying talents but we are not good at nurturing and developing them. How many of our youth players have minor flaws at 17 years old that are never fixed, how many of our youth players only get playing time after 19/20 years old.
Yep. We seem to rely on the individual figuring it out and are unable to maximize the potential of the once big potential kid. My worry is that this will happen with the next batch too.

Skills

Snitch
Game time is important, I think McTominay is prime example of that.

With his level of talent or ability he should be a championship player but with the amount of game time invested in him, he's a seasoned PL pro now. He'll have a decent career in the bottom half of the table once he leaves.

Litch

Might be different now that previously but my son was in the academy for many years before ending up at Burnley. We were told at the academy is it’s own business unit and often produces kids not cause they believe they are good enough for Utd, but cause they can be used to generate income for the academy when they are sold to another club. This includes scouts who identify them too. Each Kid potential has a pound sign above their head….

Abraxas

I think it's reasonable to assume that they're not currently considered good enough for regular game time. Ralf has had a few lads around the bench, but that seems to be where he sees them. It's not as if he's forgotten the academy exists. If they were looking massive prospects you would have thought he'd have put a few in given nobody was performing.

People say you don't want to put them in a crap team, but actually you don't need to do too much to impress within this bunch. If they are not played when there's an opportunity due to non performing first teamers then they may never get a chance as you don't know how the club will progress the squad in that position. You don't know when we'll even be a good side with great role models so for me that argument doesn't stand up. It's football, we massively overcomplicate it at times, if you're good enough at it let's see them.

The most likely thing is the lads that look good at youth level just aren't great around the seniors which is an age old tail. Its very hard to make it at the top of the PL and as shit as we are we're still that.

Litch

Not sure whether they do, cause look down the leagues we produce good footballers. I guess we are talking about making the first team and if you had a 7 year old son, there is more chance of you winning the lottery than him making the squad….

Smores

Well this isn’t true either. Sometimes a sink or swim technique is required with players, even young players. Some players turn it on when the chips are down, and you can only know for certain when you’re in that position. However this comes with an innate risk, the risk that they sink. If they sink it can easily cost games, and costing games can cost a spot in continental competition in our case, or a place in the league for those below us.

Many managers are risk averse, because they know such a big risk could very easily cost them their job and the club lots of money. Add in the state of United (and probably more importantly the fan base) right now and managers are even more likely to be averse to throwing a young player in, because they’re even more likely to sink due to the toxic atmosphere.

You’ve way oversimplified what isn’t an easy move. Players like Pedri/Camavinga get game time at a massive club because they were stars at smaller clubs already and merely stepped up, Gavi is the only comparable one in there because he was thrown in the deep end due to the unique circumstances Barcelona are in.
If you're good enough you'll play is a nice simplistic argument but yeah it's nonsense, outcome bias.

A lot of the time players have made their breakthroughs because of chance, either injuries or a squad place opening up.

Then you've got the managers preference for keeping the squad players happy instead. The managers job security and whether they can risk playing someone less proven. There's a lot of factors beyond being ready or not, the managers decision doesn't soley determine readiness.

Rashford, Elanga. McTominay could easily just have been loaned out and most likely they'd have looked okay, then another loan then sold.

JPRouve

Scout
Not sure whether they do, cause look down the leagues we produce good footballers. I guess we are talking about making the first team and if you had a 7 year old son, there is more chance of you winning the lottery than him making the squad….
We are talking about maximising players potential, not just making the first team or a first team. This isn't about parents or 7 years old but about how a club can and should maximize the potential of 16/17 years old prospects that have already been invested in and are at the doors of top level Football.

What we are talking about is essentially, how do I turn this 17 years old prospect into the best version of himself?

MUFC OK

The likes of garnacho, mejbri, farnandez, mainoo are potential first teamers. Physically though they are miles off (lightweight) , they really need to work on that aspect before they’re ready to start games for us.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
There are five types of youth player.

1. The 1/100 who was destined to make it right from the start. They are few and far between and I can only remember five players who I saw at youth level who I thought were dead certs (Whiteside, Giggs, Butt, Morrison, Greenwood). All the others were maybe's for one reason or another.

2. Players who show all the potential but develop into very good players a bit later. There are loads of like that including Albiston, Duxbury, Hughes, Scholes, Fletcher, Beckham, Neville, Brown, etc

3. Good solid pro's who form part of a first team squad. Again there are loads of those including P. Neville, O'Shea, Blackmore, Cleverley etc

4. Good players but not at United level (which is one of the highest in the world) and they tend to be part of the 67% who go on to careers elsewhere.

5. The final group are players that just didn't develop and plateaued early...and they tend to leave the game.

In terms of our U/18's and U/23's we definitely don't have any in Group 1 but maybe in Group 2 and 3.

JPRouve

Scout
The likes of garnacho, mejbri, farnandez, mainoo are potential first teamers. Physically though they are miles off (lightweight) , they really need to work on that aspect before they’re ready to start games for us.
Are they? Mejbri was perfectly fine physically a year ago and football including in the premier league doesn't require to be an heavyweight, lightweights are all around the league. Also isn't Garnacho 180cm and nearly 80 kgs?

Volksie316

I don't get the hype with Elanga that's for sure.

He works hard and can press, but that's it.

Dan James was exactly the same.

Just another example. of us overhyping our youngster's.

Withnail

Well we dont have time. Everyone is calling for the kids to take up the squad places that are being vacated by the 10 plus players leaving since we cant buy 10 plus players. So we need to decide. Are they good enough or not.
The vast majority don't make it to the first team so this just isn't happening. It's a completely unrealistic thing to call for and I can only assume it's borne out of frustration in those that do.

We can prop up the squad with a few but if we need to replace10 players we'll probably need to buy 7. Although, I'm not sure we do need to replace them all looking at the game time those leaving or potentially leaving have gotten this season.

Subs appearances in brackets
Mata: 2 (4)
Lingard: 2 (14)
Cavani: 6 (8)
Jones: 2
Bailly: 3 (1)
Martial: 2 (6)
Pogba: 16 (4)
Matic: 16(7)

I presume players who've not featured at all like Chong, Tuanzebe, Perreira and Lee Grant are also on that list.

Beaucoup

Are they? Mejbri was perfectly fine physically a year ago and football including in the premier league doesn't require to be an heavyweight, lightweights are all around the league. Also isn't Garnacho 180cm and nearly 80 kgs?
I agree about Mejbri, he should be playing 1st team football by now, in my opinion he was badly advised coming to Utd with either parents or representatives chasing the money. Lots of agents have told me the appointment of ETH will be good for the academy, we will have to wait and see.

Maticmaker

"If you are good enough you are old enough" still does apply but only to a very small percentage of players!

Call it semantics if you wish, but there is a difference between training and coaching. The former is about instilling good practice and fitness, in both body and mind, the latter is about developing abilities and understanding above and beyond the basics.

It appears at times that many young players (within the academy) start to receive specific coaching, before the have finished their training period, this mainly tends to occur because they show perhaps a greater aptitude in certain areas, and circumstances give them an opening, e.g when Rashford burst onto the scene, his 'party piece' was his speed on the half turn, left defenders for dead, this shot him forward toward a level of football that once his 'best moves' had been worked out by opposition, his success rate diminished, causing him problems in self confidence and also perhaps in his trainers/coaches?

In teams that are doing well, young players can be fed into the mix gently, exposures into the first team are planned and well managed and done with all due care and attention to the players mental well-being as well as physical development, etc. and not because there is no alternative available or the managers job is on the line. Lately and certainly since SAF's day, this process at OT has reflected our decline generally and tended to lead to situations that get rushed, and where suddenly promising academy players, brought in to fill a gap, one that their overall development suggests they may not be ready for, then suddenly find their form hits a 'brick wall', as the teams form slumps theirs comes crashing down, destroying self confidence, maybe for ever.

Whatever we think of individual player capabilities, especially the younger ones, at present the self confidence of all our players (except perhaps one!) in the first team can be seen to be at an all time low. ETH is going to require a massive effort to first of all stop further implosion, and then to find a way forward. Young players can help, will help, but it cannot be at the expense of their futures, we don't do that at OT...do we?

JPRouve

Scout
I agree about Mejbri, he should be playing 1st team football by now, in my opinion he was badly advised coming to Utd with either parents or representatives chasing the money. Lots of agents have told me the appointment of ETH will be good for the academy, we will have to wait and see.
You never know and he will hopefully be a big part of the club's future but I'm convinced that he would be playing a lot more for Monaco.

Long Time Red

I guess it depends on what metric you're using to measure "good".

I'd love to be proven wrong but I don't think we've got any bona fide starters coming through in the next couple of years, I've watched quite a few under 23 games I don't think the likes of Mjebri and Diallo are that good.

Garnacho seems like the one who's most likely to make it here but he's probably still at least a couple of years away from being a starter.

I think the fact we had 0 players in the most recent England U19, U20 & U21 squads says a lot about where our English prospects are at.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry

1. The 1/100 who was destined to make it right from the start. They are few and far between and I can only remember five players who I saw at youth level who I thought were dead certs (Whiteside, Giggs, Butt, Morrison, Greenwood). All the others were maybe's for one reason or another.

2. Players who show all the potential but develop into very good players a bit later. There are loads of like that including Albiston, Duxbury, Hughes, Scholes, Fletcher, Beckham, Neville, Brown, etc

3. Good solid pro's who form part of a first team squad. Again there are loads of those including P. Neville, O'Shea, Blackmore, Cleverley etc

4. Good players but not at United level (which is one of the highest in the world) and they tend to be part of the 67% who go on to careers elsewhere.

5. The final group are players that just didn't develop and plateaued early...and they tend to leave the game.

In terms of our U/18's and U/23's we definitely don't have any in Group 1 but maybe in Group 2 and 3.
This is an excellent post, was going to type almost the same thing. Since I've been watching the reserves, I'd say the only group 1 types I've seen at United were Pogba, Rossi and the best was genuinely Greenwood. But our very best teenagers in recent years (Rooney, Ronaldo) were already playing senior football every week at that age.

What's kind of interesting to me are Harry Kanes of the world - genuinely elite players that develop late. Lampards another. United haven't had one of those in...a very, very long time. That's pretty concerning.

Righteous Steps

Good post, interesting to see you mention Nicky Butt as a ‘dead cert’ would never have thought that.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It depends how good our first team is over the next few years. I don't think Rashford or McTominay would even be here if we'd have had a title challenging squad over the last few years. They wouldn't have got a chance.

Realistically we'd be lucky if 1 or 2 are first team regulars in 5 years time.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Good post, interesting to see you mention Nicky Butt as a ‘dead cert’ would never have thought that.
Yeah he was a good player, good but not brilliant at basically everything. Would have been interesting to see how he would have developed if he went somewhere else instead of being backup to Keane and Scholes.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I keep harking back to Chelsea but for me they are doing it as well as you can in the modern day. After loans When the players come back into the team, if they do at all, they are tough and hardworking having had to make it elsewhere. If they don’t make it they’ve been in the shop window for a few years and they get great fees for their players.

Looks at mount and James. Good pros, above average players who don’t rock the boat. Hudson Oddoi who was hyped and nearly poached is about to fade into nothing much. Behaviour issues over lockdown etc. Seems to me that if the players get too much too soon there’s very little onus on them to knuckle down if they don’t want to. They have their comfortable for life money made on that second contract and then the pressure is on the club to get the best out of them and not vice versa.

Look at the standard of player they have out on loan in the PL at the moment. Who do we have? Amad struggling to get in at Rangers and Garner doing ok at Forest. Keep loaning them until they explode or sell them on. Keep the talent moving. Use it as another revenue stream.

Chelsea have had so much talent at the club they’ve let Robben, Salah, Hazard, Courtous, KDB etc etc go and it’s been business as usual. Who’s the best player we’ve sold? Ronaldo Di Maria and Lukaku (who we still haven’t even replaced) They are on a different planet to us when it comes to recruitment and talent identification. They can’t get Lukaku KDB or Salah into the team because they are doing well without them yet here we are arguing about Garner all season when we are 6th. We've also ended up in a position where we take their players when they don’t want them anymore or just would prefer the cash (Mata and Matic) and they were right to sell in both instances.

We are living in the past if we think we can fast track a few youth every year and keep up. We will just end up with an expensive mess.

Last edited:

digitalmpu

Beautiful post! Was thinking of writing something along the same line until I stumbled upon yours.

Being a die hard fan for over 30 years, I feel as romantic as anyone about our culture of building players from the academy. But in the recent years I wondered several times whether a big reason of our current predicament is not being ruthless enough or holding on too long with the academy players.

Probably a controversial opinion but for me, the point of the modern Academy shouldn't really be produce players for the first XI.

The chances of THE best player, or even a 'top 10' player, in THAT position coming through your Academy and perfectly suiting your style of football as an ELITE side are very slim.

For example, Manchester City have Phil Foden, who starts about half of the time, and Liverpool have TAA. They are the only two Academy products who start in the 'best XIs' of those sides.

A realistic objective for the Academy should be to produce players who fill out the 23. So you might expect to produce a 2nd choice GK, or a 4th choice CM, or a 2nd choice wide-forward, for example. This saves you money buying these players in and creates a pathway into the team for the younger lads.

However, for me, in modern football, the primary role of the Academy should be to 'farm' players to sell to other clubs. Now, we have done this very, very poorly in recent years. Primarily because of this old-school philosophy SAF had that we somehow owed these lads a chance to kickstart their careers, meaning we'd let them go for little to no money.

That kind of romanticism might have been fine in the 90s/early 00s but it isn't any longer, particularly with the fees some of these lads go for. We only have to look at some of the fees paid or quoted for lads we have produced to see we are missing out massively. Drinkwater won a league title and then went to Chelsea for £50m. Micheal Keane went to Everton for £30m. We've seen decent fees paid for the likes of James Chester, Ryan Shawcross and Sam Johnstone, plus their are literally 50 more we could all name that are playing in England's top two divisions and top leagues in Europe.

What would our net spend look like if we had maximised the value of these lads, like Liverpool do? What would our net spend have looked like had we been smarter with the likes of Dean Henderson, Scott McTominay, Adnan Janujaz and Marcus Rashford?

For me, the process is simple. IF they are not considered talented enough to play for the first team by the time they are 18, then it should becoming all about marketing them. Get them on 'soft loans' to clubs in leagues were they can pad their stats. Build some hype about them. Give them the odd few minutes in a couple of dead-rubber games, or games that are done and dusted.

Then, we should look to sell them with a buy-back clause inserted. That way, if ever they do really hit the heights, we can just bring them back, The chances are, we never would though. Would we bring back Henderson, McTominay, Rashford or Janujaz now, had we sold them all at 21? Very doubtful.

Harsh, I know. Perhaps not what some fans want to hear. Ultimately though, I think we would be a much better team for it, as the funds can then be used to buy players who genuinely are elite or suited to our system. Plus, arguably it's actually better for the young lads. All of these loans can't help their careers. Look at Tuanzebe. Look at Lingard. Who knows? Both could have been top PL players, had they been moved on earlier.

Last edited:

Bigsid

Given the potential 10 million we spent on Mejbri you have to ask questions if he isnt playing in our first team in the next 12 months. The best prospects seem to be brought in from abroad and though we drone on about our academy im yet to see this massive advantage its been to our first team since 1992. As a poster said realistically by 19 they would have to be potentially the best 5-10 players in the world in their position to make it here and i just dont see that in the games ive watched.

cyberman

Which 17/18 year olds were just slipping into Premiership football 15 years ago?
A lot more were making their debuts and making impressions than they are today. Rooney, Cesc and even players like Clichy were absurdly young. Wenger literally signed Clichy by telling a 17 year old (?) kid he plays if I remember the story correctly.
It was a different world back then. A kid playing like he was back in the school yard was put forward as a positive trait as if professional football shouldn't ask any more of them.

Marwood

A lot more were making their debuts and making impressions than they are today. Rooney, Cesc and even players like Clichy were absurdly young. Wenger literally signed Clichy by telling a 17 year old (?) kid he plays if I remember the story correctly.
It was a different world back then. A kid playing like he was back in the school yard was put forward as a positive trait as if professional football shouldn't ask any more of them.
How are Rooney and Cesc back then different to Bellingham and Camavinga now?

You've just picked out two of the most mature and deceloped teenagers to play in the modern era.

If teenagers were just getting chucked in 15 years ago you should be able to list plenty. Above and beyond what we're seeing today.

Reality is that it was just as hard 15 years ago as it is today for a teenager to get starts at the top level.

mikeyt

No idea how good they are but to find out they need to play a bit. In pre season I really hope to see the likes of Mejibri, Garnacho, Garner, Amad and Pellistri for starters and perhaps 2 or 3 in the squad next season. I'm on the side of if they're good enough they're old enough.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't think we have any young player close to the level of Greenwood in our current youth crop. Garnacho looks decent but not elite level IMO (but up to him how he develops, he has an eye for goal so that's good), Hannibal looks the most talented and I think can become a very good player. Garner on loan I think is squad player level as his ceiling, but again, players can make big jumps later on in their career. Don't really see much with Shoretire whenever I watch him. Amad has bags of talent but I worry for his physicality and pace in the premier league, not sure he's suited to the league ultimately.

So in summary, Garnacho we can have high hopes for but I don't think he's an elite level talent like Greenwood was, Hannibal has a lot of talent and potential, and think that's it for long term starters out of our current group of youngsters.

cyberman

How are Rooney and Cesc back then different to Bellingham and Camavinga now?

You've just picked out two of the most mature and deceloped teenagers to play in the modern era.

If teenagers were just getting chucked in 15 years ago you should be able to list plenty. Above and beyond what we're seeing today.

Reality is that it was just as hard 15 years ago as it is today for a teenager to get starts at the top level.
Theyre not playing in England? Bundesliga is a lot more like the EPL from 10 years ago, you can see Jude getting a bit lost when stepping up in Europe imo. Picking a player who went to Germany because they could guarantee him playing time from a young age instead of moving to the EPL isnt that great of an example.
That kind of proves my point, there will always be some youth players stepping up but youre having to go across Europe to now pick kids when I just randomly picked 1 period from one league, its a lot rarer now for a reason.
I didnt even touch Ronaldo, Messi, Benzema etc if we are going across Europe. The great Micah Richards burst on the scene around that time as well even famously getting an England call up!
My point is, in my opinion, that pressing etc is a lot more prevalent in England than other countries and because of that step up in quality its a lot harder 0for kids to consistently get games. Englands youth system is the best its ever been, the talent is ridiculous yet less players are getting that chance at earlier ages.

Marwood

Theyre not playing in England? Bundesliga is a lot more like the EPL from 10 years ago, you can see Jude getting a bit lost when stepping up in Europe imo. Picking a player who went to Germany because they could guarantee him playing time from a young age instead of moving to the EPL isnt that great of an example.
That kind of proves my point, there will always be some youth players stepping up but youre having to go across Europe to now pick kids when I just randomly picked 1 period from one league, its a lot rarer now for a reason.
I didnt even touch Ronaldo, Messi, Benzema etc if we are going across Europe. The great Micah Richards burst on the scene around that time as well even famously getting an England call up!
My point is, in my opinion, that pressing etc is a lot more prevalent in England than other countries and because of that step up in quality its a lot harder 0for kids to consistently get games. Englands youth system is the best its ever been, the talent is ridiculous yet less players are getting that chance at earlier ages.
I just randomly picked Bellingham and Camavinga.

I could have said Greenwood and TAA. Teens starting for top clubs in the Premier league.

Young players can press no problem. Its not rocket science.

Do you not think teen Fabregas and Rooney would be starting in the Prem today then?