How good are we?

Jeffthered

Which is? Knock the ball around until Bruno does something? Or just play Counter-Attack?

When Liverpool play under Klopp, I know the intensity, style, formation etc how they will play... same with City, it's possession based. Both teams may have a few small , v minor changes here or there, but we all know how they play.

You tell me how we play? How did we 'play' against Brighton? And how will we 'play' against Spurs?

Wilt

Behind City and a full strength Liverpool, around the same level as Chelsea at the moment. Although, unless Utd sign a top striker I would expect Chelsea to be above them next season. I’d currently rank Utd around 8th in Europe.

Main concern is we’re a one man team and would probably struggle to make prem top 6 without Bruno...

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Thing is that City will probably get more points next season than they did this. They started very poorly and then reverted to their 100pts a season form. Liverpool (unless Van Dijk comes back not the same player) will vastly improve next season. Chelsea will get more points next season than this.

We could make 2 decent signings (for example Bissouma and Sancho lets say for argument's sake) and improve by 10 points on this season and still be 2/3 and a way off city.
City have consistently bought well and aggressively for a few seasons now. Their depth is ridiculous. You could make an argument (not that I would necessarily agree with all of it) that the below is true:

Ederson > De Gea/Henderson
Cancelo > Shaw
Dias > Maguire
Stones > Lindelof
Walker > AWB
Rodri > Fred
Gundogan > Pogba
KdB > Bruno
Sterling > Rashford
Aguero > Cavani
Mahrez > Martial

Fernandinho > Matic
Foden > Greenwood
B. Silva > James
Laporte > Bailly
Zinchenko > Telles
Mendy > Williams
Torres > Diallo
After reading this I had to say I agree which shows you how far we are off being top. The only changes I would make are

Shaw > Cancelo (slightly)
Best Pogba > Best Gundogan (though we only see best Pogba 1 out of 4 matches)
Rashford > Sterling (again slightly)

All the others are clearly in City's favor. Maybe Greenwood will be better than Foden in a year or two.

Gator Nate

I do believe that the league is the best gauge of where you are as a team but are we actually the second best team in England?
Without reading all of the stuff in between...

We're second in the table, so over the course of 30 matches, yes. But to add to that:

We're the ONLY team in the entire league without a loss in the last 5 matches. And we haven't lost a league match in the last 10.

Only United and City have won all three of their last three games. And one of United's wins was over City, who have played (and won) an extra game since.

Leicester and West Ham have both lost two of their last five. Chelsea have a loss and two draws, Spurs have a loss and a draw, Pool has two losses. I mean, Chelsea lost to West Brom, Spurs to Arsenal, and Pool to Fulham!

Other than the style of football played, which is totally subjective, I cannot think of any meaningful metric by which we could be considered anything less than the second best team in England.

And you can have all the style in the world, but if you throw it out against us to prevent us from scoring, and we still win, or draw, what have you proven?

Lentwood

Thing is that City will probably get more points next season than they did this. They started very poorly and then reverted to their 100pts a season form. Liverpool (unless Van Dijk comes back not the same player) will vastly improve next season. Chelsea will get more points next season than this.
City will always be right there purely because of the financial doping they benefit from.

Liverpool are regressing now and don't have the money to buy their way out of trouble. Whether Van Dijk comes back the same player or not, the likes of Henderson, Fabinho, Mane, Salah and Firminho have peaked. TAA has had his weaknesses exposed. Allisson suddenly looks vulnerable. As far as I'm concerned, I'd be shocked if they won another league title in the next five years. It's full refresh and rebuild time for them in my opinion and it was a minor miracle Michael Edwards pulled off building that squad beforehand with their budget and planning so it peaked at the right time together.

I keep reading 'Chelsea will do this, Chelsea will do that' but they have more problems to solve than we do and they're unlikely to be able to keep throwing money around. There's supposed to have been this big turnaround post-Tuchel but they just got beat 5-2 by WBA. They've dropped points to the likes of Leeds and Southampton. Lampard was a God-awful manager so a competent pair of hands has undoubtedly improved them but they have lots of issues to address before they can think about winning titles for me.

Andre Kagawa

I think we're pretty damn good and I'm excited about how much we will strengthen in the summer!

I'm not convinced by Ole in the long term, but he's getting the result at the moment and deserves support.

BaillyBaillyBailly

I think we are on the cusp of something special.
I think we can certainly challenge without spending insane amounts of money this summer.

I think the below is not an unrealistic summer and shows we aren't miles off being able to sustain a title challenge and accrue ~85 points next season

Henderson
AWB
Pau Torres (£40m)
Maguire
Shaw

Bissouma (£30m)
Pogba
Bruno

Sancho (£70m)
Greenwood
Rashford

Sell:
Lingard £30m
Dalot £15m

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think we can certainly challenge without spending insane amounts of money this summer.

I think the below is not an unrealistic summer and shows we aren't miles off being able to sustain a title challenge and accrue ~85 points next season

Henderson
AWB
Pau Torres (£40m)
Maguire
Shaw

Bissouma (£30m)
Pogba
Bruno

Sancho (£70m)
Greenwood
Rashford

Sell:
Lingard £30m
Dalot £15m
That kind of summer should really see us kick on but I can’t see us spending over 100 million. We’ve been fairly consistently around the 70 mark any year we make CL. Hopefully we go for it this summer though

Last edited:

redrobed

As far as placings in top 5 leagues go I’d say:

EPL: top 3-4
Serie A: 2nd
La Liga: top 3-4
Ligue 1 : 2nd
Dutch league: 1st

Not bad considering some of the transfer windows we’ve had relative to others.

lysglimt

Scout
We've draw 9 games this season in the league. If we'd won 4 of those we'd be 6 points off City with a game in hand right now. That's how close we could have been with 8 games left to play. We need two big signings to improve the starting XI next season or we won't be challenging for top spot.
It's of course wrong to think like this - because we could just as easily have drawn 4 games instead of won them - but I do think about Sheffield U at home, WBA away, Leicester away and Everton at home which just felt so unnecessary.

passing-wind

We will have a good approximation at the end of the season and the only criteria to accurately judge a team's success is silverware. I'm not a fan of opposition managers but many mocked Poch for essentially the same achievements Solskjaer is providing, therefore Ole is tarred with the same brush. He / this team should only be judged on the merit of winning things.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Not sure we are better than Chelsea. They seem like a team with a manager with a clear vision. We don't , still, and we hope for moments of inspiration.. Bruno, Pogs... sometimes Rashford/Greenwood. What we should be building is a proper footballing unit.. where we know how they will play. Bayern, City, Liverpool, Ajax.. these teams have that, of course all teams have up and down form...but they have a clear style. We do not and I wish we would hurry up and define one.
The grass is always greener!

Since they won the premiership in 16/17 you've finished above them in all but one season and will this season too probably. They just shipped 5 goals against west brom and still can not get the best out of Werner, Ziyech, Havertz or Pulisic. In fact their only attacker that is currently operating at the levels the caf demands is Mount. If Tuchel was Ole, the would be saying "this is the new manager bounce, we're scraping games, players are not developing as we'd expect for the cash paid out!"

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I agree but even if we look back over the last 2 months in 6 games against, Arsenal, liverpool, Chelsea, Sheffield United, CP and WBA we have scored the grand total of 2 goals in those 6 games. 13 points dropped which would put us ahead of City.

If we had a Kane, Halaand, or Lewandowski we would be top of the league now and still in CL.

We are just missing an elite striker.....that's it and those 6 games are the proof of it.
totally agree with the elite striker thing: this time last year I said martial and rashford wouldn't score enough league goals to give as a realistic opportunity of the title - that said,I though the scousers would be ahead of us!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The grass is always greener!

Since they won the premiership in 16/17 you've finished above them in all but one season and will this season too probably. They just shipped 5 goals against west brom and still can not get the best out of Werner, Ziyech, Havertz or Pulisic. In fact their only attacker that is currently operating at the levels the caf demands is Mount. If Tuchel was Ole, the would be saying "this is the new manager bounce, we're scraping games, players are not developing as we'd expect for the cash paid out!"
to be fair, you sometimes have to give new players (especially if they haven't played in the PL before) at least one full season to see how they go. That said, of course, Chelsea don't give many people much time! I still think Werner and Havertz will come good - quite what's happened to Kante I have no idea. It's almost as if he'd signed for us!

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
to be fair, you sometimes have to give new players (especially if they haven't played in the PL before) at least one full season to see how they go. That said, of course, Chelsea don't give many people much time! I still think Werner and Havertz will come good - quite what's happened to Kante I have no idea. It's almost as if he'd signed for us!
I couldn’t agree more, which is why I think VdB will also come good

simplyared

How good? I'd say we're very good. Our current position is a fair assessment of where we're at. City obviously superior to anyone else. Convinced we're better than Liverpool. Chelsea may have a stronger squad but not much in it. In Europe 2nd tier!

El Jefe

How good? I'd say we're very good. Our current position is a fair assessment of where we're at. City obviously superior to anyone else. Convinced we're better than Liverpool. Chelsea may have a stronger squad but not much in it. In Europe 2nd tier!
This version of Liverpool sure with no CBs sure, but a fully fit Liverpool squad is better than us.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
If we somehow contrive to fall out of the top 4, I think the answer will be very different.

Foxbatt

If we somehow contrive to fall out of the top 4, I think the answer will be very different.
It's tight at the top still and a few more games to go so we don't know how it will end. Tomorrow if we win we can probably be guaranteed top 4. If we lose things will start to get difficult.

Doracle

Our squad depth is quite a lot worse than Chelsea. They are basically City lite - they lack any true world class players but can pretty much send out two teams of near equal strength. Our second eleven is far worse and we rely heavily on four key players (of which only Shaw has a somewhat adequate back up). We probably have the 3rd best first 11 but the 4th best squad. Frankly, if Ole gets us 2nd plus Europa he has performed miracles in such a congested season.

Marwood

Our squad depth is quite a lot worse than Chelsea. They are basically City lite - they lack any true world class players but can pretty much send out two teams of near equal strength. Our second eleven is far worse and we rely heavily on four key players (of which only Shaw has a somewhat adequate back up). We probably have the 3rd best first 11 but the 4th best squad. Frankly, if Ole gets us 2nd plus Europa he has performed miracles in such a congested season.
I wouldn't call it a miracle. When Arsenal Liverpool and Chelsea have all had big problems the door is very much open for a second place spot.

Europa we should be one of the favourites. We've got the biggest budget and probably the best team in the competition.

It'd be a decent, promising season but I wouldn't go beyond that.

United492

Vicious circle, but in my view the main issue is our midfield looks shite due to the 'forwards'. Bar counter-attacks, our forwards literally do not move when we're in the attacking third, so unless we find a wonder pass (which people criticise Bruno for as most of the time the ball is turned over), the midfield have noone to pass to and obviously go side to side or backwards to retain the ball, inviting pressure..... round and round we go. I'm not saying our midfield is top notch, but I do think a top class No9 would make the team we already have so much better and improving that area should be the priority. Haaland is out of reach due to a multitude of factors, but get a good, reliable - including not being injured all the time - 9 and a Rice-like midfielder and I think we're on the way to being a force. Personal opinion, shoot me down if you like, but it's my genuine view.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It would take a monumental collapse for that to happen. I think at worst we finish 3rd but I still fancy us for 2nd.
I try to be optimistic, and yeah the numbers look good...but when did we last actually play well? City?

We'll see. Tomorrow is a big one, as it seems every week. Spurs well rested, us kicked to sh*t by Grenada...tough to see us getting all 3.

RobertoBaggio99

We're pretty good. Good enough to walk the league if this was 15/16 and we'd give 16/17 Chelsea (and Spurs) a good run for their money. In other words we're made to look worse than we really are due to City and Liverpool's appointing of the two best managers in the world, resulting in City currently seeing the absolute peak of their 141 year old existence as a football club and Liverpool simultaneously peaking as a Premier League side. I classify these instances as anomalies. Liverpool seem to already be coming down and City will follow soon enough, albeit to a lesser degree thanks to oil money.

I'd rank us about 10th
->Bayern, City, Real, Liverpool, PSG, Barca, Juventus, Atletico, Inter, Man Utd, Chelsea, Dortmund->