How good is Kevin De Bruyne?

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
As a question to Bayern fans, how do you guys see the influence of LVG compared to Pep? I've heard a few times that LVG was seen as the real pioneer for Bayern becoming what they are now - maybe pioneer is the wrong word - but I hadn't realized his stint was seen as so important given he didn't win as much and it was relatively short.
LvG gave us a new direction, While other clubs long ago ditched 442, we were still playing it and invested heavily into a twin strikeforce of Klose and Lucatoni. LvG came binned both of them, Moved Schweinsteiger from an average winger to a reliable CM. Generally adopted a more possession style of play that top European clubs adopted earlier. changed us to a 4231, Gave more time and support to younger players like Muller and Badstuber.
iirc he moved Lahm away from LB to RB
Our build up was slow and frustrating. Many times aimless passing without a clue of what to do. Then pass to Robben for his hero ball, Many including me wanted him out early until the game vs Juve in Turin where we won 4-1

That move turned Bayern from a European top 10 to a top 5 and possibly top 3 in some years

His ego meant he couldn't survive our FO especially Ulli who had emotional attachments to the players. He loved Ribery Toni etc like his kids, I believe many top players reported to him that this was not working, LvG brought his balls out to show them in the dressing room. Results started changing and Bayern endured him until results turned in his 2nd season

Last edited:

Teritus

Messi simply does not work with De Bruyne. Everything in the final third defers to Messi, and Messi does all his best work toward the ball not away from it - any time De Bruyne is not playing Messi’s game, Messi is being under utilised; by playing Messi’s game, all of De Bruyne’s best attributes are nullified.

De Bruyne isn’t better at being Iniesta than Iniesta is, either way, De Bruyne has no constructive way to be in a team that optimises Messi because it dramatically reduces his own game.
Would KDB do well in a role like what Gerrard played for the old Liverpool teams, in front of Alonso and Mascherano?