How good is Pato?

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
I only watch a few matches from serie A and usually he seems like a bright spark but I am yet to see anything that suggests that he's a superstar but many see him as just that.

So all the ones who regularly watch serie A (Brwned n co), just how good is this guy? Has he got more potential than Rooney?

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Only potential Ballon d'Or contender in Serie A atm

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I only watch a few matches from serie A and usually he seems like a bright spark but I am yet to see anything that suggests that he's a superstar but many see him as just that.

So all the ones who regularly watch serie A (Brwned n co), just how good is this guy?
Top Draw.

Has he got more potential than Rooney?
No. I doubt any player currently playing has that tbh.

Zen86

Have people actually watched him on a regular basis or are they living in FM world again?

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
My favorite goal from his last season

I think him and Balotelli are the most talented attacking youngsters in Seria A, who both showed great promise last year. They both can become world class, Pato is a composed dribbler and has great finishing.

I think he should work on his movement a bit more and also his decision making which can be improved but it will happen as he gets older.

Also check out tis compliation vs Leece last season if anybody wants to know how explosve this kid is or what he is all about. He would cause serious problems in the Premiership.

HsJ

How good would a Rooney - Pato combination be?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He needs to leave AC Milan as right now for a kid of his age they put too much expectation on his shoulder whereas he should be developing alongside top class players

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
Pato would have shone better in a side with plenty of other pacey players. The lad is awesome and I can only see him get better. He reminds me of a young and better Ivan Zamorano

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
The kid is gold at 19 years old he has a 1 in 2 ratio...

Potentially the best in the world, at least potentially the best striker in the world. He has it all in that department, basically if he lives up to his potential he'll be like a better Torres. He has the pace and the finishing but he is also a great dribbler of the ball and can beat players in order to get his shots off. He also has wild technique when striking the ball, is fairly 2 footed and has a great leap and heads it well.

vuc

First Team Serb
No. I doubt any player currently playing has that tbh
:lol:

Messi hasn't? Could potentially go on to be the greatest of all time..

Pato has an insane amount of abiity, he will be Brazils next superstar striker, only a matter of time.

:lol:

Messi hasn't?. Could potentially go on to be the greatest of all time..
WTF? :lol: What so funny? Do you know any other attacking player who is as brilliant at defending as they are at attacking apart from Rooney? I fail to see what Rooney's potential has to do with Messi and Messi's potential greatness.

No one else has Rooney's potential because he is an extremely unique player. & I'm not talking about potential to be greatest or the best either. Like you've mistakenly assumed.

Pato has an insane amount of abiity, he will be Brazils next superstar striker, only a matter of time.
Clearly.

Exactly, if Brazil didnt constantly have great strikers he'd be number 1 already and it's only a matter of time before he is number 1 for Brazil.

It seems you do not understand what individual potential is. That is why you are happy with someone bringing up Messi's potential and comparing it to Rooney's.

I'm also wondering where you and Vuc got the idea I wasn't rating Pato:lol:

FranklyVulgar

Didnt say you didnt rate him. Just a bit mental to say no-one in world football has the potential of Rooney. Rooney is almost 24 and hasnt exactly gone on and became the player everyone thought he would, he is brilliant, world class etc etc but after that euroes and his debut for United i dont think i was alone in thinking he would be a top 2 or 3 players in the world but he hasnt become that so he hasnt lived up to his potential so far.

Pato is 19 and already has a goal every 2 games ratio with a underperforming Milan side, this kid has dare i say it more ability than Rooney and his potential is just as impressive. He can be a world beater. Along with Aguero he is undoubtably the most talented and impressive young striker in the world.

You'll think i'm under-rated rooney or over-rating Pato but they are quite different as players. As i said earlier a Torres is a more valid comparison to Pato and i have little doubt that Pato will go on to become a greater player than Fernando.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Didnt say you didnt rate him. Just a bit mental to say no-one in world football has the potential of Rooney. Rooney is almost 24 and hasnt exactly gone on and became the player everyone thought he would, he is brilliant, world class etc etc but after that euroes and his debut for United i dont think i was alone in thinking he would be a top 2 or 3 players in the world but he hasnt become that so he hasnt lived up to his potential so far.

Pato is 19 and already has a goal every 2 games ratio with a underperforming Milan side, this kid has dare i say it more ability than Rooney and his potential is just as impressive. He can be a world beater. Along with Aguero he is undoubtably the most talented and impressive young striker in the world.

You'll think i'm under-rated rooney or over-rating Pato but they are quite different as players. As i said earlier a Torres is a more valid comparison to Pato and i have little doubt that Pato will go on to become a greater player than Fernando.
The reason that Rooney hasn't lived up to his potential in your eyes is due to him losing a bit of attacking flair as we've developed the defensive side of the game.

Pato seems to be a speed demon with some skill but I highly doubt that his vision and awareness will reach the level that Rooney's is at. Usually goal scorers stand out far more than dictators like rooney but you with your admiration for a player like Ibrahimovic, should be able to see that Rooney is a far better all rounded player than Pato.

Didnt say you didnt rate him. Just a bit mental to say no-one in world football has the potential of Rooney.
It isn't. Rooney is the only natural striker in world football as good at defending as he is via attacking. In that aspect he is unique. If ever he fulfills he'd still probably be the only football great with that aspect about him. I'm amazed you even dispute it. You instead seem to think for some reason I'm saying Rooney is better than everyone else or some what. Which I'm really not!

Rooney is almost 24 and hasnt exactly gone on and became the player everyone thought he would, he is brilliant, world class etc etc but after that euroes and his debut for United i dont think i was alone in thinking he would be a top 2 or 3 players in the world but he hasnt become that so he hasnt lived up to his potential so far.
What does this have to do with no one else having his potential? I didn't talk about him living up/reaching it to it. I just said no one else around has it. Nothing more nothing less. You are simply misunderstanding me. :D

That is the problem. You still haven't understood what I'm saying. It doesn't matter how good Pato gets. Or how brilliant he is. He just doesn't have Rooney's potential because Rooney is literally the only player of his type around. He is unique in that aspect.

Which is has nothing to do with saying no one around is better than Rooney. or can reach his heights in the game etc..

You'll think i'm under-rated rooney or over-rating Pato but they are quite different as players.
Actually I was convinced you thought it was me underrating Pato and overrating Rooney instead.:D

All along I've been trying to put across what you've just said now! They are totally different players. Especially because Rooney is literally the only forward of his type around. Not anything more than that. That is why I said no one has Rooney's potential.

But it's been misinterpreted and viewed as saying Rooney is superior to everyone else. Talk of lost in translation.

As i said earlier a Torres is a more valid comparison to Pato and i have little doubt that Pato will go on to become a greater player than Fernando.
I expect it too. On the ball he is miles better.

FranklyVulgar

That is Rooneys natural determination/spirit. I dont think it's anything to do with potential/ability it is more his appetite for the game and his versatility that make him the type of player who defends. I wouldnt say he defends all that well anyway. He will get sent off if he is defending a lot.

Rooneys ability or hunger for chasing back and harrying players does not equate to footballing potential in my books. Yes Rooney is a unique player in the same way that Ronaldo and Messi are unique. All great players are unique in some way i think but Rooneys own brand of uniqueness (is that a word?) does not mean he has any more or less potential than other players.

I'm sure we have had this argument before, you said Messi didnt have the potential because he was complete at a young age, that is much the same as Rooney. He has not improved a great deal since he first burst on the scene. If anything he has lost a bit of his ruthlessness in order to play more of a team game. The fact i thought he was quite two footed in his early days where as now he barely kicks it with his left...

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
Very, very good is the answer to that- it still annoys me how close we were to getting him before Milan jumped in at the eleventh hour.

That is Rooneys natural determination/spirit. I dont think it's anything to do with potential/ability it is more his appetite for the game and his versatility that make him the type of player who defends. I wouldnt say he defends all that well anyway. He will get sent off if he is defending a lot...
If it is all he is forced to do yes. Because he gets frustrated when that happens. But defensively he is excellent. As good as most solid fullbacks tbh.

Rooneys ability or hunger for chasing back and harrying players does not equate to footballing potential in my books.
That is because you think technique is the be all and end all of footballing ability. Thus misunderstand what a Rooney actually does. What Rooney does is real defending that any natural defender playing at fullback for example would do. Not just harrying people. He is a darn good marker. Last season Lennon and Cissokho were two of his high profile victims. Nor will they be the last.

.... but Rooneys own brand of uniqueness (is that a word?) does not mean he has any more or less potential than other players.
Exactly. I'm glad you see that. It is what I was getting at.

I'm sure we have had this argument before, you said Messi didnt have the potential because he was complete at a young age, that is much the same as Rooney. He has not improved a great deal since he first burst on the scene. If anything he has lost a bit of his ruthlessness in order to play more of a team game. The fact i thought he was quite two footed in his early days where as now he barely kicks it with his left...
We are not even having any argument. You're simply misunderstanding me. liek you so clearly did then

When we talked about Messi I was referring to being the finished article. Potential to improve to be more specific. Not overall potential. At 17 Messi was closer to full maturity than most fora player of his kind. So wouldn't make any quantum leap in development ala a Ronaldo as he grew (who had to improve almost every aspect of his play). A Messi would just add on experience , physical strength plus add the natural consistency that comes with age. With reducing his over reliance on his left foot and his aerial ability as the only aspects of his game the really needed bettering. Thus far nothing Messi has done has changed my view on this.

One look at him playing now and one can see he is physically stronger, more consistent. Less reliant on his left foot and better in the air than he was at 17.

Yet he still exhibits the same vision, imagination, decision making plus ability to beat men like he had at 17. Just as I predicted. For he didn't need to improve on those things

As for right now I'm not talking strictly about Rooney's uniqueness. I'm just saying he is the only forward of his kind around as good at defending as he is at attacking. nothing more.

FranklyVulgar

Fair enough but why you want ROoney wasting his time defending as an auxiliary fullback up against the likes of Lennon and Cissokho i'll never know. I'd rather leave Rooney in a position to devistate a defense rather than have him back protecting a left or right back.

I'm not saying i want this part of his game removed, i just dont want to see him used as a defensive wide midfielder ever... why waste the most talented player in the squad? The thing is with footballers the best players in the world tend to be attackers because it is the most difficult part of the game. In top level football all the central defenders/full/backs/defensive mids would have started off playing as strikers or wingers or attacking midfielders because they were better at football than everyone else.

Only when it gets to the very top do players find there true positions or at least the position where they can get the most out of the talent they have. I think plenty of great strikers/attackers can defend well but in most cases they arent bunted out into wing positions. They are kept i areas where they can positively influence the attacking threat of the team and that is where Rooney should always be.

vuc

First Team Serb
WTF? :lol: What so funny? Do you know any other attacking player who is as brilliant at defending as they are at attacking apart form Rooney. I fail to see what Rooney's potential has to do with Messi and Messi's potential greatness.

No one else has Rooney's potential because he is an extremely unique player.
So what if Rooney is good at defending, thats what the midfield and defence is there to do. You come out with a comment 'no one has the potential of Rooney' and just discredit any potential superstars in the making. Nowhere in your statement did you say 'at defending as well as attacking' it was just a ridiculous claim.

What exactly are you trying to say, that Rooney is the most unique because he can defend and attack? Big deal, an attacker should be known for his attacking and not defending. Whilst Rooney is a great player and could become one of the worlds best, he is no means mutually exclusive in terms of his potential.

& I'm not talking about potential to be greatest or the best either.
This just baffles me completely..

Fair enough but why you want ROoney wasting his time defending as an auxiliary fullback up against the likes of Lennon and Cissokho i'll never know..
I don't. I never have and never will. However I like the fact he can mark people really well. It means he can defend form the front and make life truly difficult for opposing center back and defensive midfielders. As Barca showed last year, having forwards that can harrass defenders into errors is a rather useful weapon.

I'd rather leave Rooney in a position to devistate a defense rather than have him back protecting a left or right back.
I dig that.

I'm not saying i want this part of his game removed, i just dont want to see him used as a defensive wide midfielder ever... why waste the most talented player in the squad? The thing is with footballers the best players in the world tend to be attackers because it is the most difficult part of the game. In top level football all the central defenders/full/backs/defensive mids would have started off playing as strikers or wingers or attacking midfielders because they were better at football than everyone else.

Only when it gets to the very top do players find there true positions or at least the position where they can get the most out of the talent they have. I think plenty of great strikers/attackers can defend well but in most cases they arent bunted out into wing positions. They are kept i areas where they can positively influence the attacking threat of the team and that is where Rooney should always be.
I couldn't agree more.

So what if Rooney is good at defending, thats what the midfield and defence is there to do..
I don't get your reason for having a problem with Rooney being able to defend.:confused: There's nothing wrong with a Rooney being great at defending. Its infact an asset. It means he can harass defenders into errors. Barcelona with forwards less adept to doing that than Rooney showed what an effective tool it is last year.

You come out with a comment 'no one has the potential of Rooney' and just discredit any potential superstars in the making.
Which is where you went wrong. You simply jumped to the conclusion I was saying no one is as good as Rooney:lol: You never bothered to ask me once what I actually meant. You just decided to laugh and later, rant.

When all I was saying is Rooney potential is unique because of the type of player he is i.e a natural forward as good at defending as he is at attacking. Nothing more than that.

Nowhere in your statement did you say 'at defending as well as attacking' it was just a ridiculous claim.
Rather what is ridiculous is you trying to claim I was saying Rooney was better than everyone else.:lol:

Your jumping to a :lol: conclusion made you do that. Not a single thing I said.

What exactly are you trying to say, that Rooney is the most unique because he can defend and attack? Big deal
If its a "big"deal" why are you going on your current rant? It seems to you its actually a big deal.

an attacker should be known for his attacking and not defending. Whilst Rooney is a great player and could become one of the worlds best, he is no means mutually exclusive in terms of his potential.
Rooney is the only natural striker around who is equally good at defending as he is at attacking. Something unique to him. Something he will be known for if he finally becomes a football great. Whether you like it or not. That is the potential I was talking about. Nothing more nothing less.

You on the other hand decided to believe I was talking about potential to be great and leaped to defend Pato and others from an imagined attack. Which is laughable really. You were so off base its untrue.

This just baffles me completely..
That is because you did not understand a thing I posted earlier. But you preferred to jump to wild conclusions rather than asking me to clarify . It's no surprise the end result baffled you.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
Very, very good is the answer to that- it still annoys me how close we were to getting him before Milan jumped in at the eleventh hour.
I believe it was a non starter. Give the kid's background and Milan's standing in South America compared to ours back then, it was an easy decision for him to make. Plus Milan had Kaka at the club at the time and Leornado who had built himself up a reputation a good coach and scout.

For such a lauded player, not too many have seen him regularly it seems. .
The curse of the Serie A. I suspect.

Chief the way people were going on, you'd have thought he was more talented than rooney.
He might be. His a dribbling wizard, yet with vision, decent physical presence and the knack of a potentially great goal scorer.

Just to clarify: the reason I said he and others don't have Rooney's potential is because Rooney is different to literally every forward around. He has that thing Cruyff had of being able to defend equally as well as he can attack. Whether he ever becomes as good as the Dutch master is anyone's guess. But IMO for the reason alone Rooney is unique in world football ATM.