How good is the AON Training Complex?

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
How good is the training complex in comparison to other clubs in the EPL & around the world?

I was listening to Talksport this morning where Tim Sherwood had called in and was asked about Spurs and their new ground, anyhow the interesting remark he made was that their training ground was by the best around and that the only place than can compare against it would be City's.

This got me thinking as i was under the impression the AON training ground was one of the best around bearing in mind it was opened in 2000 and that we had recently upgraded it to include the latest MRI scanners, 3D pitches not to mention the £500k LVG spent on camera's etc etc.

Is the training ground already outdated, and does anyone have videos showing the facilities, plans and comparisons to others?

VanGaalEra

It's still one of the best but naturally when something new gets built 10-15 years later, there's always a chance it will be bigger and better with advancements from technology.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I remember a teacher telling us that when you see the ad for a new Audi or Bmw or whatever that proclaims its car is the newest and the latest technology and all that fancy stuff, the engineers in those companies are already designing the next generation of car that will be put on the market the following year. The point i am trying to make is that you could build a new facility and have state of the art machines and infrastructure, but in two years time it will be old fashioned.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
How good is the training complex in comparison to other clubs in the EPL & around the world?

I was listening to Talksport this morning where Tim Sherwood had called in and was asked about Spurs and their new ground, anyhow the interesting remark he made was that their training ground was by the best around and that the only place than can compare against it would be City's.

This got me thinking as i was under the impression the AON training ground was one of the best around bearing in mind it was opened in 2000 and that we had recently upgraded it to include the latest MRI scanners, 3D pitches not to mention the £500k LVG spent on camera's etc etc.

Is the training ground already outdated, and does anyone have videos showing the facilities, plans and comparisons to others?
Don't forget the trees.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Not the hardest thing in the world to update.

Trade in your MRI machines and all the technology side of things against newer ones and give a fresh lick of paint to the walls and it'll be like new again.

decorativeed

I've been for a look around Carrington a few years ago and it's very impressive. I'm sure it could be outdone by something that has been built in the past few years, but that's not to say it's not still one of the best.

Jacko21

In the early 00's United had an advantage over other clubs when it came to training facilities, but nowadays (amongst the elite) they are all much of a muchness.

United made big strides with on-site medical facilities, but again, other clubs have followed suit. The club have always invested heavily into Carrington - sponsorships and tie-ups have incentivised them to do so. It's as good as you'd expect it to be.

Milanello is probably the most infamous of training grounds. No prizes for guessing who trains there.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
I've been for a look around Carrington a few years ago and it's very impressive. I'm sure it could be outdone by something that has been built in the past few years, but that's not to say it's not still one of the best.
How did you get in, break in or do they do tours?

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
In the early 00's United had an advantage over other clubs when it came to training facilities, but nowadays (amongst the elite) they are all much of a muchness.

United made big strides with on-site medical facilities, but again, other clubs have followed suit. The club have always invested heavily into Carrington - sponsorships and tie-ups have incentivised them to do so. It's as good as you'd expect it to be.

Milanello is probably the most infamous of training grounds. No prizes for guessing who trains there.
I thought they were the best in the 90's.

decorativeed

How did you get in, break in or do they do tours?
I am not at liberty to say, but I was officially allowed into the building and shown around. Had a nosy through a darkened window, face pressed up against the glass for a good few seconds before I realised David Moyes was looking right at me.

Coincidentally, I also had a look around the old facilities at the Cliff 5 years ago, and it is/was primitive over there. Didn't stop us playing great football though.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
I am not at liberty to say, but I was officially allowed into the building and shown around. Had a nosy through a darkened window, face pressed up against the glass for a good few seconds before I realised David Moyes was looking right at me.

Coincidentally, I also had a look around the old facilities at the Cliff 5 years ago, and it is/was primitive over there. Didn't stop us playing great football though.
You need to tell me, would love to have a look around!

Jacko21

I thought they were the best in the 90's.
They've continued to invest heavily and it'd been restructured.

Still regarded as the best in the world - if you had to pick. Man City looked to model their facilities on Milanello.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Moyes has installed a bespoke facility that houses whiteboards, computers, high-definition screens, iPads and other state-of-the-art digital technology at United's training ground.

SirMattBugsby

:eek: Can still safely bet he was more terrified than you were.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
I'm sure it's still very good although in some of the footage I've seen the interior does look a little dated along with some of the gym equipment. Still obviously good enough though, it's not like we can't afford an upgrade. You could build a whole new training complex for the amount we spend on one transfer so if it was needed we would be doing it.

Zii

My cousins husband trained United / worked with the squads around the complex and said its brilliant. I mean I know that doesn't mean much but that's all I can add.

Acole9

Outstanding
Moyes has installed a bespoke facility that houses whiteboards, computers, high-definition screens, iPads and other state-of-the-art digital technology at United's training ground.
Didn't realise that he's also an electrician.

How would Tim Sherwood know what our training ground is like? City have promoted theirs all over the place.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Maybe. It struck me as weird at the time. But the Italians were far ahead of the rest of Europe.
Probably know much better how to mask the substances used to improve fitness too. Amazing stuff.

Ban

My sister's husband's friend's first cousin's father met a guy in London who said it's top notch.