How good was David Beckham?

Son

Since the 90’s I’d perhaps say apart from Bruno, Beckham was the best player we have had at creating chances. Giggs up there obviously too.

I do rate Bruno higher as a footballer however than both. Bruno’s problem is he joined in a bad era.

Beckham as good as he was couldn’t have made the difference Bruno has… especially with Martial getting on the end of his crosses. :lol:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Since the 90’s I’d perhaps say apart from Bruno, Beckham was the best player we have had at creating chances. Giggs up there obviously too.

I do rate Bruno higher as a footballer however than both. Bruno’s problem is he joined in a bad era.

Beckham as good as he was couldn’t have made the difference Bruno has… especially with Martial getting on the end of his crosses. :lol:
Both Beckham and Giggs were better than Bruno already at a much younger age. But both were also playing in better, much more functional, attacking and winning teams which of course helps.
In terms of availability, fitness and playing every game however Bruno is as much a machine as Beckham was.

Bobski

I always thought Sane when he was at City reminded me of a modern Giggs.
Very elegant player and there are similarities, don''t think he has the passing creativity of Giggs but his dribbling is fun to watch.

lysglimt

Scout
Beckham is often called overrated - the fact is, he is probably underrated. His stats were insane - 60 goals and 82 assists in 255 P.L matches for a right midfielder. He almost had as good a point-ratio pr game as Sadio Mane had - and he played as a winger in a 4-3-3

Add to that - he had a superb work-rate and worked his socks off defensively.

Or how about if we compare his 142 points in 255 matches to these players:

Bergkamp had 181 points in 318 matches
DeBruyne had 163 points in 238 matches
Scholes had 162 points in 499 matches
Gerrard had 212 points in 504 matches
Lampard had 279 points in 609 matches

And Beckham is apparently overrated, despite not being far away from the numbers DeBruyne had for City (and he joined City as an experienced player, Beckham made his breakthrough at United as a youngster)

Remember the geese

Bruno isn't close to Giggs or Beckham.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Beckham is often called overrated - the fact is, he is probably underrated. His stats were insane - 60 goals and 82 assists in 255 P.L matches for a right midfielder. He almost had as good a point-ratio pr game as Sadio Mane had - and he played as a winger in a 4-3-3

Add to that - he had a superb work-rate and worked his socks off defensively.

Or how about if we compare his 142 points in 255 matches to these players:

Bergkamp had 181 points in 318 matches
DeBruyne had 163 points in 238 matches
Scholes had 162 points in 499 matches
Gerrard had 212 points in 504 matches
Lampard had 279 points in 609 matches

And Beckham is apparently overrated, despite not being far away from the numbers DeBruyne had for City (and he joined City as an experienced player, Beckham made his breakthrough at United as a youngster)
How do you measure their points? Team points? Points won by goals or assists?

Eriku

Beckham has the same issue as Brad Pitt; they’re so classically handsome that you assume a lot of their renown comes from that rather than their craft.

Ironically Becks would get his hands as dirty as anybody else despite seeming like some sort of luxury player. Incredible work rate to go with his sublime passing skills.

nickm

Probably would be pushed into that role but I think that would be a waste. Giggs was always a creator more than a finisher, finishing was erratic and the left footed RW now is really just a wide striker. He could probably do it effectively, play on the last man, join the cut in and shoot spam but it is such a boring use of his skillset. His ball carrying ability from deep, the creative passing, his playmaking ability could be incredible if adapted earlier to a more central role. Press killer in there, over commit and 5 secs later he has gone from the edge of his own box to the edge of the opponent.
Giggs was a better centre midfielder for us than Becks was, to be honest. He played that position for us for a while towards the end and was excellent in it.

RoyKeaneReborn

Reckon everyone watched the Brighton game. And saw that horrendous free kick by Sabitzer with only a few minutes left on the clock. It immediately reminded me of this thread.

I came here to say that this kind of rubbish freekick/ cross/ delivery almost never happens to Becks. Maybe for every 300 crosses, you will only get 1 bad one from Becks as part of statistical discrepancy. That was how good and consistent he was.

Goodness me how far our standards have dropped. Can't think of even sub-standard decent crossers in the current squad except for maybe Shaw.

always_hoping

This day 20 years ago 11 May 2003, David Beckham made his final appearance for Manchester United and signed off with a goal in a 2-1 win over Everton. The goal a trademark free kick and Wayne Rooney was in the Everton wall.

Bojan Djordjic

Think Becks was famous for being handsome and was a marketers dream because of that while at the same time being widely considered as overrated and one dimensional by a lot of fans.

However, I think he's definitely the rare case of classic prem era player who's playing reputation would be greatly enhanced in the world of data analytics. He obviously had loads of assists and goals and I suspect he'd be a progressive monster and would probably be a great presser in a modern system as he was always so hardworking

united_99

This day 20 years ago 11 May 2003, David Beckham made his final appearance for Manchester United and signed off with a goal in a 2-1 win over Everton. The goal a trademark free kick and Wayne Rooney was in the Everton wall.
Me being young and naive back then had finally realised by then that Beckham was indeed leaving. Until then I was still in denial as I couldn’t believe that such a talented academy product would not end his career at United.
But that was a great lesson that day: I learnt that it was just football and since then I wasn’t ever nearly as sad as that day whenever a (good/great) player left United.

Cantonalegod

Me being young and naive back then had finally realised by then that Beckham was indeed leaving. Until then I was still in denial as I couldn’t believe that such a talented academy product would not end his career at United.
But that was a great lesson that day: I learnt that it was just football and since then I wasn’t ever nearly as sad as that day whenever a (good/great) player left United.
I was absolutely gutted when Beckham left Utd, and I was 45 :lol:

united_99

I was absolutely gutted when Beckham left Utd, and I was 45 :lol:
Oh ok :lol:
I am glad that was my first and last time as I was really down/sad. Of course I wasn’t jumping up and down out of joy when a couple of years later Keane and Ruud left, but I could deal with it much better.

Jamesh

I was never DB 007's biggest fan, perhaps because of the image he presented wasnt quite true. He could be great and win games but so could Scholes (or KDB) without the showbiz element. No idea what he's doing now as owner of FC Miami but seems to spend most of his time making adverts for whisky and his wife's brand etc.

032Devil

I was never DB 007's biggest fan, perhaps because of the image he presented wasnt quite true. He could be great and win games but so could Scholes (or KDB) without the showbiz element. No idea what he's doing now as owner of FC Miami but seems to spend most of his time making adverts for whisky and his wife's brand etc.
Man's got to earn a living for his family.

Appletonred

From 1998 to around 2004 he was world class, you have to be a seriously good player to play for both Manchester United and Real Madrid.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I've said this before, but I think his reputation as a player (not the other aspect, the celebrity thing) will keep improving over time. Time is on his side, you could say, and specifically in the sense that there's no chance that either his particular (extreme) qualities or his overall contribution will go down from here in appreciation (from serious people who take an interest).

nickm

Some of those first time crosses on a plate to Yorke and Cole were sensational.
He's certainly the best crosser of a ball I've ever seen, whipped in fast and phenomenally accurate. But I can't pick Beckham ahead of Keane or Scholes in that exceptional midfield.