How good was Gary Lineker?

Josh 76

One of my favourite English footballers. He was as dependable in front of goal as they come on the big international stage and that's a rare attribute.
I think his last game for England was being subbed off against the Netherlands as England failed to qualify for the World Cup in 1994. He deserved better than that.
Not it wasn't. His last game was in the 1992 Euros, when England went out to Sweden.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Not it wasn't. His last game was in the 1992 Euros, when England went out to Sweden.
I just remember him being Mr Clean Cut England (as opposed to Mr Crazy England, which was Gazza. I always thought him being Gary and Gazza being Gazza was like the Jekyll and Hyde of great English footballers)

The Netherlands game was where he got subbed when he could have scored the goal to make him top scorer for England wasn't it, Graham Taylor took him off before a penalty or something?

Imagine a front two of Rooney and Lineker!

zizou81

I dunno how good he was, but he's aged quite well! 60 yrs old, but looks more like mid to late 40s.

GueRed

We could've done with a quality, mobile striker like him in the 80's.

In fact Big Ron tried to sign him before Everton got him
Cole was far more skilful than Lineker. Google Cole's best goals and compare then to Lineker's tap ins

Cole’s link-up play and work outside the box was superior.

Lineker was a more clinical finisher.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
And people like Rashford going on about starving children probably gets your goat too. They have no bearing on people like him, so he should have stayed out of it.
I don't really have a view on what Marcus Rashford has done. But my Mum does.

She thought his campaign to get free school meals for the poorest children in holiday time was a joke and she was hopping mad when the Tory Government caved in to him. When I was a kid we lived in poverty, but my Mum worked two jobs and she cooked proper meals from basic ingredients, from scratch & for pennies. She didn't rely on benefits or food banks or fill me full of junk food from the multitude of take-away chicken shops (that didn't exist in the 1970s) and guess what, I was a skinny, but healthy kid.

If all the stuff that Rashford has done is really needed, why is childhood obesity off the scale in the UK? Because some Mums these days are too busy on Facebook and Instagram to bother doing what my Mum did and hence the government has had to step in - but it will all have to be paid for one day.... by whom? Not by Marcus Rashford, I bet.

Well that is what my Mum says.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

She thought his campaign to get free school meals for the poorest children in holiday time was a joke and she was hopping mad when the Tory Government caved in to him. When I was a kid we lived in poverty, but my Mum worked two jobs and she cooked proper meals from basic ingredients, from scratch & for pennies. She didn't rely on benefits or food banks or fill me full of junk food from the multitude of take-away chicken shops (that didn't exist in the 1970s) and guess what, I was a skinny, but healthy kid.

If all the stuff that Rashford has done is really needed, why is childhood obesity off the scale in the UK? Because some Mums these days are too busy on Facebook and Instagram to bother doing what my Mum did and hence the government has had to step in - but it will all have to be paid for one day.... by whom? Not by Marcus Rashford, I bet.

I've heard this self entitled bullshit from so many people as if it's some sort of competition. Reminds me of this

Bondi77

Frightening that season when he won the league with Everton.

He was a prolific, top class poacher - I think the only time I ever saw him score from outside the area was at OT in a 1-0 win for Spurs. Typical.
He never won the league with Everton....what were you on?

Bondi77

Quality striker and it was him and Rush that really stood out in the day.
In the two World cups of 86 and 90 he was superb and he was harshly treated by Taylor who has to go down as one of the worst coaches ever to lead England as I am sure Lineker would have added to his tally if his career was not cut short.
On a side note the guy was a really good snooker player and I recall that he had a highest break of 134 and was good mates with Willie Thorne who was also a Leicester lad.

Fingeredmouse

You should put meters on the street lights. Why should we pay for other people's lights?

Frankly, they should sterilise the poor. Especially any single mum.

Paying hard earned money in taxes to support society? I'd rather get my Princess of Hearts Di tattoo lasered off. No-one gave me any handouts.

And now they're after our Tommy again.

Gary Lineker was a World Class striker though who is free to express his political opinions in his spare time.

Well that is what my Mum says. She is congenitally insane and a total bastard mind you, but it is what she says.

Withnail

I hope I can (one day) at present it keeps saying "You have insufficient privileges to post threads here" at the moment.

Its probably for the best though - I used to be a member of the website for the other Manchester team until I found out they had a 'politics section'. I was banned within hours - its called bluemoon, but really it should be redmoon judging by the way their politics people gang up on you, if you are even a bit centre-right....
I wasn't sure at first but taken along with 'My mum says...' this has to be a WUM :lol:

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
You should put meters on the street lights. Why should we pay for other people's lights?

Frankly, they should sterilise the poor. Especially any single mum.

Paying hard earned money in taxes to support society? I'd rather get my Princess of Hearts Di tattoo lasered off. No-one gave me any handouts.

And now they're after our Tommy again.

Gary Lineker was a World Class striker though who is free to express his political opinions in his spare time.

Well that is what my Mum says. She is congenitally insane and a total bastard mind you, but it is what she says.
Well, as I have said, I disagree because of his employment with the BBC.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Made a mistake by a year. What’s with the attitude?
He's never won a league title with any club. He did OK at Barca winning the Copa and the Cup Winners Cup. As individual honours go, winning the FWA and the PFA player of the year in 85-86 which is what you're referring to in that He scored a lot of goals for Everton

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Yeah but what does she know about Ravel’s mental health?

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Frightening that season when he won the league with Everton.

He was a prolific, top class poacher - I think the only time I ever saw him score from outside the area was at OT in a 1-0 win for Spurs. Typical.