How good was Gary Lineker?

tentan

Poor man's poster.

How good was Gary Lineker the player?

World class at the time or just a top forward?

Lights Out

Frightening that season when he won the league with Everton.

He was a prolific, top class poacher - I think the only time I ever saw him score from outside the area was at OT in a 1-0 win for Spurs. Typical.

The White Pele

Would have won the Ballon D’Or (European POTY at this point) in 1986 if not for politics.

Perhaps better known for his international career than club. Starred at two world cups and there will have been very few better out and out goalscorers during that period.

145 goals in 235 first division games
42 goals in 103 La Liga games
48 goals in 80 international games including 10 World Cup goals

Elite.

Last edited:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
He was fast as hell until he got his illness. Then he became a tremendous finisher.

His original pace was lightening though. Not too many remember that.

*edit* was it Meningitis similar to Lee Sharpe?

Both affected the same way after it. Still had pace but not nearly the same.

Last edited:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He is England's top scorer at World Cups. He is also the only player to have been the top scorer in a season in England with three clubs.

Wheato

= Xavier Hernandez.

6 yard box poacher. Got a few more tricks to his game by the end of his career, but only because his legs had gone.

Matt007a

One of the better goal poachers of football history. Not quite a Gerd Muller but still prolific for multiple teams, in different countries and at International tournaments. A bit like Owen, lost a yard of pace earlier than he should have. Largely stayed injury free though and still banged in goals for fun without the lightning pace. Super reliable and consistent player.

poleglass red

possibly the only player i know who literally shit himself during a match v Ireland in 1990 world cup.

GMoore23

Before my time but it appears he was the Van Nistelrooy of his day?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Really good from what I remember.

Mentioned it on here before, I'm quite interested in his partnership with Alan Smith at Leicester and that Leicester team in general. Smith himself would go on to be first division top scorer twice with Arsenal, winning the title both seasons he did it. 112 league goals in 3 seasons between them as a partnership, that Leicester side had potential title-winning firepower if they could have kept them together. They helped them to promotion but the highest they ever finished was 15th.

= Xavier Hernandez.

6 yard box poacher. Got a few more tricks to his game by the end of his career, but only because his legs had gone.
Did you ever watch Xavi? :lol:

Unless of course you mean Javier Hernández in which case that’d be even more stupid.

Was in the Stretty for Linekar’s final ever game in England, such a hero, never before or since has all of OT risen to sing the name of an oppo player. Goosebumps it was.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Technically excellent finisher, slippery, rapid off the shoulder and became more lethal as the stakes got higher.
He is England's top scorer at World Cups. He is also the only player to have been the top scorer in a season in England with three clubs.
His World Cup record is outstanding. 6 goals in knockout matches, second only to Pele in World Cup history from what I can see. He always impressed with his cold-as-ice temperament in big games. Even outwith his knockout goals, his group stage hat-trick against Poland in ‘86 was effectively a sudden death match with England’s hopes up in the air.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
An absolute idol when growing up albeit his best stuff was just before I really got into it.

With him and Gazza, I like many In 90 almost became a Spurs fan.
Thank goodness my mate led me to the right team.

Was a real shame Lineker didn't get the England goals record, although Rooney and Kane have and will smash it, in this era of playing tonnes of walk over teams.

clarkydaz

An absolute idol when growing up albeit his best stuff was just before I really got into it.

With him and Gazza, I like many In 90 almost became a Spurs fan.
Thank goodness my mate led me to the right team.

Was a real shame Lineker didn't get the England goals record, although Rooney and Kane have and will smash it, in this era of playing tonnes of walk over teams.
Lots of us in school had spurs kits due to Gazza/Lineker. After the world cup they won the FA Cup next year, Gazza scored that screamer freekick against Arsenal, then ruining his career in the final

jesperjaap

He was quality without a doubt. His biggest attributes for me were his apparent calmness in pressure situations along with intelligent movement and a great attitude.

Those things together are why he is for me possiblt behind Shearer our best striker. In the big games for England he always delivered when a goal was needed 86 and 90 have several examples of this.

Football wasnt televised like it is now, but few Barcelona games I saw him play.....they seemed to play him on the wing, utter madness

redrobed

Fantastic, really. Huge amounts of pace for large parts of his career (a dramatic drop along the way though). Exceptional finisher. One of the best in terms of handling pressure. Also extremely professional - his attitude was something to be aspired to. One of the best big game players.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why did Barcelona shunt him out wide after a good first season?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Technically excellent finisher, slippery, rapid off the shoulder and became more lethal as the stakes got higher.

His World Cup record is outstanding. 6 goals in knockout matches, second only to Pele in World Cup history from what I can see. He always impressed with his cold-as-ice temperament in big games. Even outwith his knockout goals, his group stage hat-trick against Poland in ‘86 was effectively a sudden death match with England’s hopes up in the air.
I didn't know his World Cup record was that good. Sounds like he was a better version of Michael Owen.

Josh 76

Frightening that season when he won the league with Everton.

He was a prolific, top class poacher - I think the only time I ever saw him score from outside the area was at OT in a 1-0 win for Spurs. Typical.
He never won anything with Everton. Only played one season with them. 1985-86. Everton won the league 1984-85 and 1986-87.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
better than what he rates himself. He is very self deprecating
What's self deprecating? Does it mean: over-paid, 'remoaner-luvvie' who keeps sticking his nose in, where its not wanted?

Decent striker though.

P.S. Salt and Lineker crisps! What was that all about?

youngrell

Was young when he was at his best but he was one of those who you feared because if he was through on goal, or had a chance near the goal, you knew it was going in. Also seem to remember him being very reliable from the penalty spot.