How good was Gary Lineker?

Blueman

Supports
Man City
What's self deprecating? Does it mean: over-paid, 'remoaner-luvvie' who keeps sticking his nose in, where its not wanted?

Decent striker though.

P.S. Salt and Lineker crisps! What was that all about?
Self deprecating - meaning doesnt blow his own trumpet.
Over-paid - meaning paid half as much as carragher/neville
Remoaner luvvie - Not even sure what that insult is for? But well done if thats what makes you happy.

Lineker reminded me of Andy cole. Not especially technically skilled but a Master of the art of scoring. The work he put into practice was amazing

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
But Ronaldo only went along with it because Barca refused to give him a pay rise and extended contract that they had agreed mid-season.
Barcelona promised him a massive raise, which he agreed to, then according to Ronaldo, they actually presented an offer significantly below what they promised. According to barcelona, they offerer what was promised but inter made him a much bigger offer

Hard to say what went on, the only sure thing is it was the 90s and Inter had the 90s version of Abramovich bankrolling them, barcelona couldn't compete financially

As for Lineker, one of the best strikers of his era. World class player. Not quite as good as peak Owen(since he's been mentioned here), but not below that level either. Ah! Think Patrick Kluivert, but better

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Till this day, the best English striker for me...

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Remoaner luvvie - Not even sure what that insult is for? But well done if thats what makes you happy.
It's valid.

I could not stand multi-millionaires like him (and Geldof) getting involved in that thing 5 years ago and still 'moaning' about it since. Our population has increased by 9 million since 2000 and 80% of that is through migration, that has had an impact on keeping wages artificially low in certain sectors that relate to me and my family. But it has no bearing on people like him, so he should have just stayed out of it. I know he is technically freelance, but he is seen as the face of football on the BBC and his wages come from the BBC licence fee (which I pay) so he should be silent or impartial on political matters & he isn't. That is my viewpoint.

But, like I said, as this is (mainly) a football website - he was a decent striker and a clean player too. In addition, when he said in 2016 that if Leicester won the league he would do MOTD in his boxers and when they did, he did - I admired him for that. Well, not him in his boxers exactly, but that he was true to his word - which is why he should stick to presenting and not politics, as politicians rarely do that!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I’d say borderline world-class at his peak, but not an all-time great. Close to H. Sanchez if we compare him to someone from his time.

Duane Dibley

Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Till this day, the best English striker for me...
There's always a lot of revisionism and recency-bias when judging players but Linker was definitely top class.

Personally I'd have him just behind Greavsie.

Bobade

It's valid.

I could not stand multi-millionaires like him (and Geldof) getting involved in that thing 5 years ago and still 'moaning' about it since. Our population has increased by 9 million since 2000 and 80% of that is through migration, that has had an impact on keeping wages artificially low in certain sectors that relate to me and my family. But it has no bearing on people like him, so he should have just stayed out of it. I know he is technically freelance, but he is seen as the face of football on the BBC and his wages come from the BBC licence fee (which I pay) so he should be silent or impartial on political matters & he isn't. That is my viewpoint.

But, like I said, as this is (mainly) a football website - he was a decent striker and a clean player too. In addition, when he said in 2016 that if Leicester won the league he would do MOTD in his boxers and when they did, he did - I admired him for that. Well, not him in his boxers exactly, but that he was true to his word - which is why he should stick to presenting and not politics, as politicians rarely do that!
This line of thinking does my head in. Why do people think that people should keep politics out of sport/music/insert here ? Everything is politics. Everyone has an opinion on it.

If you feel strongly, air your views about it in any way you feel appropriately to be honest. And what is this nonsense that he should keep his nose out if it doesn't affect him ? I'm white , so should I keep my nose out of BLM or any kind of racial issues ? I've got a decent job, should I keep my nose out of any benefits or welfare or poverty issues ?

RedFish

I’d say borderline world-class at his peak, but not an all-time great. Close to H. Sanchez if we compare him to someone from his time.
I'd say he was world class. We didn't have many internationals that coukd be regarded so given the strength of competition world wide.

Him, Waddle, Gazza, Beardsley..

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
And what is this nonsense that he should keep his nose out if it doesn't affect him ?
I went on to explain that - he is paid, well paid in fact, by the BBC and there is a requirement to be impartial if one is an employee of the BBC.

I think he gets around it by being 'freelance', he did work for BT Sport and of course Walkers crisps, but that doesn't negate the fact his main role is the face of football, on the BBC.

I realise this same argument can't be applied to Bob Geldof, but he's just a **** and anyway, this is about Lineker, not him.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's valid.

:houllier:

Superden

I went on to explain that - he is paid, well paid in fact, by the BBC and there is a requirement to be impartial if one is an employee of the BBC.

I think he gets around it by being 'freelance', he did work for BT Sport and of course Walkers crisps, but that doesn't negate the fact his main role is the face of football, on the BBC.

I realise this same argument can't be applied to Bob Geldof, but he's just a **** and anyway, this is about Lineker, not him.
wait till you find out what Farage did for a living...

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'd say he was world class. We didn't have many internationals that coukd be regarded so given the strength of competition world wide.

Him, Waddle, Gazza, Beardsley..
It depends on the definition. There were better, more well-rounded strikers around at the time like Elkjær or Klinsmann and that’s not even mentioning Van Basten.

I’d say that in the 80’s/early 90’s only Robson, Gazza and Barnes (although he underperformed for the NT) were world-class out of English players.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Is there? There are plenty of politically restricted posts in the public sector where political neutrality in public is part of the contract, but presenter of a football show which has nothing to do with politics is surely not one of them.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Depends on your definition really. I’m not sure if during his hey-day he ever makes a 23-man squad to play Mars. But then again his big game record was second to none.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Defenders back then also chopped an inch of your leg when they could, as for Gary he was a top tier striker.

Vinnie Jones is always a classic. But there's so many compilations of oldschool players, Eric Cantona, Roy Keane, even Graeme Souness being part footballer part brawler. Cantona gets punched in the face and stands there and rubs his cheek a bit and wonders if he's getting a freekick or not.

There's a certain charm and hardness that's gone from the sport today.

lsd

The Oracle
Self deprecating - meaning doesnt blow his own trumpet.
Over-paid - meaning paid half as much as carragher/neville

Lineker reminded me of Andy cole. Not especially technically skilled but a Master of the art of scoring. The work he put into practice was amazing

Cole was far more skilful than Lineker. Google Cole's best goals and compare then to Lineker's tap ins

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
better than what he rates himself. He is very self deprecating
Exceptionally so.

Some people have an incredibly bizarre dislike of Lineker, when to be honest I think he's brilliant.
Superb striker for us, but unlike Shearer, who is so-so as a pundit, he has wit, charm and like you say very humble for such a brilliant player.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Cole was far more skilful than Lineker. Google Cole's best goals and compare then to Lineker's tap ins
Tap ins.
Bloody hell, if they're that easy, why doesn't every player score so many?

Josh 76

It depends on the definition. There were better, more well-rounded strikers around at the time like Elkjær or Klinsmann and that’s not even mentioning Van Basten.

I’d say that in the 80’s/early 90’s only Robson, Gazza and Barnes (although he underperformed for the NT) were world-class out of English players.
Hoddle would have been world class if he’s wasn’t English.

SydneyRoughDiamond

Robson and Gazza were world class. Barnes was the same level as Waddle and Des Walker. Not sure if they were truly world class, but very close.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I love how people are still discussing about a certain player being world-class despite every single one of fans having different definition of world-class.

Some don't have any at all!

Josh 76

I love how people are still discussing about a certain player being world-class despite every single one of fans having different definition of world-class.

Some don't have any at all!
The best definition of world class I’ve heard is a player who could get into any team in the world in his era.

Reiver

One of my favourite English footballers. He was as dependable in front of goal as they come on the big international stage and that's a rare attribute.
I think his last game for England was being subbed off against the Netherlands as England failed to qualify for the World Cup in 1994. He deserved better than that.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Hey buddie I see you’re a new member here. Hope to see this type of fresh thinking in the current events forum ASAP.
I hope I can (one day) at present it keeps saying "You have insufficient privileges to post threads here" at the moment.

Its probably for the best though - I used to be a member of the website for the other Manchester team until I found out they had a 'politics section'. I was banned within hours - its called bluemoon, but really it should be redmoon judging by the way their politics people gang up on you, if you are even a bit centre-right....

sangria

It's valid.

And people like Rashford going on about starving children probably gets your goat too. They have no bearing on people like him, so he should have stayed out of it.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Frightening that season when he won the league with Everton.

He was a prolific, top class poacher - I think the only time I ever saw him score from outside the area was at OT in a 1-0 win for Spurs. Typical.
He didn't win it with them did he? I thought they signed him as reigning champions.