How good was Ivan Cordoba?

thepolice123

One of the players I heard people mention in the early 00s but didn't get to see him play. Used him in FIFA so I know he is pretty short for a CB (5"8) but rapid on the ground. His defensive partner, Walter Samuel, was hardly the biggest CB too (6"0). How did he deal with the big forwards in Italy?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Córdoba's height wasn't a significant issue in most Serie A games because he was proactive and had good anticipation along with a quality leap, and when they faced exceptionally tall and dominant strikers, Internazionale had the option of fielding a certifiable shithouse in 6'4" Materazzi (who was Córdoba's primary central defensive partner before the arrival of Samuel).

This (Footballia Link) is a good game to sample him — one of the few defenders who came close to matching Torres' searing pace, and played a major role in shutting out the opposition with César following the dismissal of Materazzi. Liverpool only scored after he was stretchered off the the field with a knee injury, and there was even some tip-of-the-hat applause from the Scousers.

The greatest hour was probably this — captain of the national team, and scored the winning goal in the 2001 Copa América final after conceding 0 goals in the entire tournament!

As regards how good he was from a historical perspective, I'd say a tier or two below Chumpítaz (who wasn't as rapid but otherwise comparable in terms of skillset and one of the greatest exponents of South American defending in a diminutive package). For his era, not quite part of the absolute elite — but definitely in the second bracket for a while. Aggressive and inspirational, quick-thinking and swift footed, versatile, and a heat-seeking missile in the tackle! :drool:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He was brill. I literally made a thread on him a week ago but nobody replied to it :(. Go out there and do the Lord’s work my friend. A real underrated defender of his generation. Really rapid and a warrior too.

DRM

He was brill. I literally made a thread on him a week ago but nobody replied to it :(. Go out there and do the Lord’s work my friend. A real underrated defender of his generation. Really rapid and a warrior too.
Aww.

There were quite a few short defenders in the 90's/early 00's who were excellent. Cordoba, puyol, cannavaro, baresi, ayala.

thepolice123

Was he the shortest CB? I can’t find any top class CB who’s shorter. Even Mascherano is 1 cm taller.

Here‘s him battling it out with Toni. It’s almost like Man vs Giant.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Was he the shortest CB? I can’t find any top class CB who’s shorter.
Daniel Passarella was the same height as Córdoba, here with 6'3" Sócrates:

And both Chumpítaz (Top 5 for greatest ever centerbacks in South American football) and Picchi (leader of one of the meanest defenses in football history) were slightly shorter at 5'7"...

https://elcomercio.pe/deporte-total...71-anos-secretos-gran-capitan-351616-noticia/
https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/...-scirea-the-legendary-liberos-who-died-by-36/

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Colombia had nice pool of CBs in those days....Cordoba, Mario Yepes (who people only really seemed to know when he was about 36), Jorge Bermudez who was good CB for Boca Juniors and also had Perera coming through who ended up at Altetico Madrid for 8 years.

Could never qualify for world cups between 2002-14 as their creative midfield options were pretty naff after Freddie Rincon-Valderamma retired. Only solved it when James Rodriguez came through and kept setting up Falcao.

thepolice123

Daniel Passarella was the same height as Córdoba, here with 6'3" Sócrates:

And both Chumpítaz (Top 5 for greatest ever centerbacks in South American football) and Picchi (leader of one of the meanest defenses in football history) were slightly shorter at 5'7"...

https://elcomercio.pe/deporte-total...71-anos-secretos-gran-capitan-351616-noticia/
https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/...-scirea-the-legendary-liberos-who-died-by-36/
Thanks for the insight posts @Invictus.

It’s amazing that these players were able to make it to the top echelons of Football as a CB. 5’7 is practically Messi’s height. I ever played with a forward who was a good 10cm taller than me and it was impossible when it comes to challenging for high balls. These players must have a combination of superb timing and athleticism.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Coincidentally, for 7 years with Internazionale and 4 years with the Italian national team, Picchi played with Facchetti (who is arguably the greatest wingback ever and definitely the greatest tall wingback at 6'3"). Intuitively (at least in contemporary football), you would associate the latter dimension with the centerback position (like Vidić/Varane/Piqué/Boateng) as they need to be physically imposing and supreme in the air, and the former with the fullback/wingback position (like Evra/Marcelo/Alves/Lahm) as smaller players tend to be more evasive on average and can pivot more acutely...

There are other combinations like Baresi (5'9") with Maldini (6'1") or Cannavaro (5'9") with Grosso (6'2½"), but this one seems to offer the most dramatic contrast — at least at an All-Time great level. :lol: