How good was Materazzi?

mu4c_20le

I remember he was a bit slow (physically I mean), so he wasn't all that in the prem but his style suited Inter and Italy much better. Not a legend or anything though, just a decent hard man for his time.

Ibragol

Supports
Milan
I really think that the World Cup final 2006 sums him up. Materazzi was furbo personalized. He knew what buttons he would press to get Zidane off balance, and that won him and Italy the final. Of course he's a dick, though. But then again, football wouldn't be as entertaining if there was 10.000 copies of De Bruyne running around.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I really think that the World Cup final 2006 sums him up. Materazzi was furbo personalized. He knew what buttons he would press to get Zidane off balance, and that won him and Italy the final. Of course he's a dick, though. But then again, football wouldn't be as entertaining if there was 10.000 copies of De Bruyne running around.
That's great and all but was he actually good at defending or playing football? The correct answer is he was ok. Made a good career for himself by combining his slyness with being ok at defending.

Diego Costa is in a similar mould but a much better footballer. I would say he's a very good striker whose cunning and bastardity made him world class or thereabouts.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
He kicked the shit out of defenders. There are clips of him where he goes for a player‘s balls instead of the actual football. Was also a bit of a diver.

Zen86

Bang average defender. There would be no threads about him if he hadn’t goaded Zidane.

Okey

Materazzi??? Dude was never the best defender at his club, never mind further afield. Not much better than average.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Dominant in the air
Very good on the ball, underrated passing
Lacked pace which was his biggest issue
Occasional feck ups

If you compare him to someone today, I would rate him on the same level as Joel Matip or Clement Lenglet

MrEleson

He was absurdly aggressive and belligerent. He also seemed to have a personal vendetta against Shevchenko as he would kick the hell out of him every Milan Derby. He wouldn’t survive in today’s game as he would be a ticking time bomb for a red card every match. As an actual defender my memory eludes me, but he was a starter for a competitive inter side and his national team in a WC final so I guess he was decent enough.

fps

He was a solid CB most of his career- Not really amazing, since nowadays he would be red carded very frequently due to VAR.
That’s not relevant, players adapt to the game as it’s played at the time.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
Horror tackles aside, did you rate him?
I rated him very highly but similar to players of his unsportsmanlike behaviour & mentality, his reputation always went before him. Mind you, he only has himself to blame for that. He was a defender of the highest quality though :)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That’s not relevant, players adapt to the game as it’s played at the time.
Materazzi was red carded quite frequently in his time, too

He was a very good defender though, not world class or anything, but definitely more than just "ok"