How good was Paul Scholes?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
He is not comparable to Vieira. Gerrard neither. These guys were the main talisman of their sides. Scholesey was supplementary
The conversation isn't about talismen, it's about how good was Paul Scholes, Vieira is the same class, maybe higher given he won the world cup, but Gerrard, no way, for as good as he was he didn't drive his team to win very much, he never won a league title for a start

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Ive watched United home and away for 40 years.

Loved players like Keane, Cantona and my hero, Robson, but Scholes is the most talented player I’ve ever seen for us. If the thread was “who was the player you didn’t want out injured?”, it’d (probably) be a different answer….. but it isn’t.

Comparisons to Gerrard and Vieira are laughable. They didn’t play the same game/position and weren’t as good.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
The conversation isn't about talismen, it's about how good was Paul Scholes, Vieira is the same class, maybe higher given he won the world cup, but Gerrard, no way, for as good as he was he didn't drive his team to win very much, he never won a league title for a start
Exactly. Dennis Wise was arguably a talisman, still an average footballer

(I liked Vieira, very good player but v little impact on WC.Squad member. Ironically, Petit (club teammate) was felt a better option and their first choice.)

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Exactly. Dennis Wise was arguably a talisman, still an average footballer

(I liked Vieira, very good player but v little impact on WC.Squad member. Ironically, Petit (club teammate) was felt a better option and their first choice.)
I'd disagree about Vieira and he did set up Petit's goal in the final, Dennis Wise is a great example though

In my time watching United i can think of 2 definite talismen possibly 3, Robson and Cantona and perhaps Keane, his performance in the 1999 CL semi final was incredible given he knew he would miss the final, which of course ironically Scholes did as well, because of the rule changes that wouldn't happen now

Despite talking about all of these greats, Norman Whiteside was my favourite player, if he'd been blessed with some pace I think he'd have been talked about like Best, he was very unfortunate with injuries but he was a heck of a player

El Jefe

Ive watched United home and away for 40 years.

Loved players like Keane, Cantona and my hero, Robson, but Scholes is the most talented player I’ve ever seen for us. If the thread was “who was the player you didn’t want out injured?”, it’d (probably) be a different answer….. but it isn’t.

Comparisons to Gerrard and Vieira are laughable. They didn’t play the same game/position and weren’t as good.
Curious to know why? I get it he's a camera kissing scouse twat but he was a hell of a player. Saying Scholes was better is fair but they were definitely in the same class.

There is nothing laughable about it. Personally Scholes was the better CM but Gerrard was a better player IMO.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
How dare you. I fully understand brilliance. I am brilliant! Jay Jay Okocha and Cesc Fabregas (young one at arsenal before he pushed forward) were 2 of my favourite midfielders in the prem era. Scholes is just simply been overrated a bit since he has retired. I was born in the 80s and watched his entire career. Scholes spent a lot of his time pinging balls to the right wing and I don't feel he ran a game in the manner you all claim. I actually felt young Cesc did that job better at Arsenal than Scholes could. Don't get me wrong Scholesy was a great supplementary player but I never felt he was the right man to be a talisman midfielder for a top top side. Also please move on from the quotes became none of these players ever selected him as their best player during the playing career and neither did Journalists, international captains and managers. I would imagine if you ask ex players to talk about top players they are going to wax lyrical but fact is he never dominated these opps on the biggest stage. Xavi now......thats another story. He's the best CM I have ever seen.
Another lie. Vieira, Pep, Xavi and Zidane all heaped praise on him while playing. Here are some examples. You will find similar examples from a bunch of managers and players in the period between 2001 and 2011.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ew-Paul-Scholes-best-midfielder-20-years.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...les-regrets-lining-Manchester-United-ace.html

https://www.goal.com/en/amp/news/pe...holes-is-the-best-of-his-/bltb9a6534124d724d8

Last edited:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
April 20th 2008: Eidur Gudjohnsen singles out Scholes ahead of European Cup semi-final against Barcelona
“I’m more an admirer of Paul Scholes than I am of Ronaldo. Ronaldo is a fantastic player, but he has 10 other great players around him every week. Scholes is one of the most complete footballers I’ve ever seen. His one-touch play is phenomenal. Whenever I have played against him, I never felt I could get close to him.

March 13th 2010: Rooney sings Scholes’ praises
“It’s hard to sum up Scholesy because he’s changed his game since he was younger. He’s like a quarterback now, getting it in the middle and spraying it around the field. He’s unbelievable – he’s one of the greatest of all time.”

April 18th 2007: Henry votes for Scholes in PFA Player of the Year
“Good luck to Cesc, but obviously I am not allowed to vote for a team-mate, my vote went to Paul Scholes. You saw how much Manchester United missed him last season, and you have seen what a difference he has made when he has come back this year.”

January 20th 2007: Henry is a Scholes fan too
“For years Paul Scholes has been one of the best players in the Premiership. He’s incredible. He’s come back into the team after his eye injury and he’s playing so well, like he’s never been away. He has always been under-rated throughout his career. He’s a team player, a one and two-touch footballer who makes good decisions on the pitch and makes his team play. I don’t understand why he has never won the player of the year. A guy like that should have won it long ago.”

December 29th 2003: Fergie can’t believe Scholes doesn’t make the top 20 for the FIFA World Player of the Year awards
“He’s a gifted player and I was reading players from abroad saying they think he’s the best in Europe. Zidane’s said it, Vieira said it, Davids said it, yet he’s not in the first 20 at the awards. He nor Roy Keane were not in the first 20, it’s quite amazing. It’s probably right that he doesn’t have the profile of other players, he doesn’t get the same media attention as say Zidane or Ronaldo, but that’s football and we don’t worry about that. But I find it interesting.”

You probably did not intend to lie. You just did not know better. The lack of recognition of Scholes is down to the same it has always been; lack of understanding of the game and lack of information.

There are those who know and there are those who dont.

Stacks

Another lie. Vieira, Pep, Xavi and Zidane all heaped praise on him while playing. Here are some examples. You will find similar examples from a bunch of managers and players in the period between 2001 and 2011.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ew-Paul-Scholes-best-midfielder-20-years.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...les-regrets-lining-Manchester-United-ace.html

https://www.goal.com/en/amp/news/pe...holes-is-the-best-of-his-/bltb9a6534124d724d8
April 20th 2008: Eidur Gudjohnsen singles out Scholes ahead of European Cup semi-final against Barcelona
“I’m more an admirer of Paul Scholes than I am of Ronaldo. Ronaldo is a fantastic player, but he has 10 other great players around him every week. Scholes is one of the most complete footballers I’ve ever seen. His one-touch play is phenomenal. Whenever I have played against him, I never felt I could get close to him.

March 13th 2010: Rooney sings Scholes’ praises
“It’s hard to sum up Scholesy because he’s changed his game since he was younger. He’s like a quarterback now, getting it in the middle and spraying it around the field. He’s unbelievable – he’s one of the greatest of all time.”

April 18th 2007: Henry votes for Scholes in PFA Player of the Year
“Good luck to Cesc, but obviously I am not allowed to vote for a team-mate, my vote went to Paul Scholes. You saw how much Manchester United missed him last season, and you have seen what a difference he has made when he has come back this year.”

January 20th 2007: Henry is a Scholes fan too
“For years Paul Scholes has been one of the best players in the Premiership. He’s incredible. He’s come back into the team after his eye injury and he’s playing so well, like he’s never been away. He has always been under-rated throughout his career. He’s a team player, a one and two-touch footballer who makes good decisions on the pitch and makes his team play. I don’t understand why he has never won the player of the year. A guy like that should have won it long ago.”

December 29th 2003: Fergie can’t believe Scholes doesn’t make the top 20 for the FIFA World Player of the Year awards
“He’s a gifted player and I was reading players from abroad saying they think he’s the best in Europe. Zidane’s said it, Vieira said it, Davids said it, yet he’s not in the first 20 at the awards. He nor Roy Keane were not in the first 20, it’s quite amazing. It’s probably right that he doesn’t have the profile of other players, he doesn’t get the same media attention as say Zidane or Ronaldo, but that’s football and we don’t worry about that. But I find it interesting.”

You probably did not intend to lie. You just did not know better. The lack of recognition of Scholes is down to the same it has always been; lack of understanding of the game and lack of information.

There are those who know and there are those who dont.
Its not really a lie though. What I was alluding to is sure Henry voted him PFA once but if all these hundreds of footballers actually felt he was the best he would have more than 2 x PFA team of the year, more than zero Man Utd player of the season, some PFA or FWPFA, some Balon d'or votes, England national team player of the year, Uefa Team of the Season, world player of the year etc etc. Its meaningless and empty if you don't actually give them their dues in the manner you do for everyone else.

This is Scholes recognition over a 20 year career

Individual

Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year: 1992–93
Premier League Player of the Month: January 2003, December 2003, October 2006, August 2010
Premier League PFA Team of the Year: 2002–03, 2006–07
Premier League 10 Seasons Awards (1992–93 to 2001–02)
Domestic & Overall Team of the Decade
English Football Hall of Fame Inductee: 2008
Premier League 20 Seasons Awards (1992–93 to 2011–12)
Fantasy Teams of the 20 Seasons
Premier League Hall of Fame: 2022
FWA Tribute Award: 2012[

Many of these awards are VOTED FOR BY THE PLAYERS, COACHES ETC. So if they all thought he was so great and truly had " understanding of the game and information" like you di, his resume would look more like his contemporaries who all managed to beat this curse. Even Keane made 5 PFA team of the years. Everyone else, Modric, Xavi, Gerrard, Lampard, Vieira, etc all managed. Compare Schosey's to Cesc for example in just 11 seasons

FIFA U-17 World Championship Golden Ball: 2003
FIFA U-17 World Championship Golden Shoe: 2003
UEFA European Under-17 Football Championship Golden Player: 2004
Bravo Award: 2006
Golden Boy: 2006
UEFA Team of the Year: 2006, 2008
Premier League Player of the Month: January 2007, September 2007
Arsenal Player of the Season: 2006–07, 2009−10
PFA Young Player of the Year: 2007–08
PFA Team of the Year: 2007–08 Premier League, 2009–10 Premier League
ESM Team of the Year: 2007–08, 2009–10, 2014–15
UEFA European Championship Team of the Tournament: 2008, 2012
FIFA FIFPro World XI 5th team: 2014

I understand the game and probably played it at a higher level than yourself. You know doubt play a lot of Fifa and football manager I'll credit you for that but you are no football expert la,

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Its not really a lie though. What I was alluding to is sure Henry voted him PFA once but if all these hundreds of footballers actually felt he was the best he would have more than 2 x PFA team of the year, more than zero Man Utd player of the season, some PFA or FWPFA, some Balon d'or votes, England national team player of the year, Uefa Team of the Season, world player of the year etc etc. Its meaningless and empty if you don't actually give them their dues in the manner you do for everyone else.

This is Scholes recognition over a 20 year career

Individual

Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year: 1992–93
Premier League Player of the Month: January 2003, December 2003, October 2006, August 2010
Premier League PFA Team of the Year: 2002–03, 2006–07
Premier League 10 Seasons Awards (1992–93 to 2001–02)
Domestic & Overall Team of the Decade
English Football Hall of Fame Inductee: 2008
Premier League 20 Seasons Awards (1992–93 to 2011–12)
Fantasy Teams of the 20 Seasons
Premier League Hall of Fame: 2022
FWA Tribute Award: 2012[

Many of these awards are VOTED FOR BY THE PLAYERS, COACHES ETC. So if they all thought he was so great and truly had " understanding of the game and information" like you di, his resume would look more like his contemporaries who all managed to beat this curse. Even Keane made 5 PFA team of the years. Everyone else, Modric, Xavi, Gerrard, Lampard, Vieira, etc all managed. Compare Schosey's to Cesc for example in just 11 seasons

FIFA U-17 World Championship Golden Ball: 2003
FIFA U-17 World Championship Golden Shoe: 2003
UEFA European Under-17 Football Championship Golden Player: 2004
Bravo Award: 2006
Golden Boy: 2006
UEFA Team of the Year: 2006, 2008
Premier League Player of the Month: January 2007, September 2007
Arsenal Player of the Season: 2006–07, 2009−10
PFA Young Player of the Year: 2007–08
PFA Team of the Year: 2007–08 Premier League, 2009–10 Premier League
ESM Team of the Year: 2007–08, 2009–10, 2014–15
UEFA European Championship Team of the Tournament: 2008, 2012
FIFA FIFPro World XI 5th team: 2014

I understand the game and probably played it at a higher level than yourself. You know doubt play a lot of Fifa and football manager I'll credit you for that but you are no football expert la,
Well, sure lets look away from all these quotes from some of the best players he ever faced, managers, Ferguson and lets assume they are not correct. Lets assume Pep (and all these other players I’ve mentioned), for some mysterius reason, felt like hyping Scholes. Both when he was playing and ten and fifteen years latter.

In fact, this gag by Pep and the other players from La Masia, still continue and at the expense of other players. Just last month Pep said he prefer Scholes over Lampard and Gerrard. Probably just romanticising, right?

It is pure ignorance. Nothing else.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
In summary, I’m comfortable with sharing the opinion of Pep, Xavi and Zidane regarding Paul Scholes. It is really that simple. They evidently saw and experienced the same that I, and quite a few others did.

One of the best midfielders of his generation. Maybe even the best.

redmanx

You should just give up, you are entitled to your opinion but the majority disagree with you!

I have seen most of the best players in the world from the mid-70's to the early 2000's play in person and the rest since on TV, Paul Scholes was one of the best, he wasn't fancy, didn't seek the headlinesl like some and as such often lipped under the radar of those who vote for awards, the people who payed with him, against him or managed him or managed against him say he was a great player, nobody is suggesting he's the GOAT but he's up there with some of the best
I imagine our doubting Thomas friens probably thinks Bobby Charlton was over rated too, along with Denis Law, Bestie, Bryan Robson, Norman Whiteside, Eric Cantona, Roy Keanne, Ryan Giggs, David Beckham, RVN, Rooney and Ronaldo. I doubt he does not think much of any of our present players either lol! I read that when Bayern Munich realised Scholes would have to miss the Champions League Final they were ecstatic!

dinostar77

In summary, I’m comfortable with sharing the opinion of Pep, Xavi and Zidane regarding Paul Scholes. It is really that simple. They evidently saw and experienced the same that I, and quite a few others did.

One of the best midfielders of his generation. Maybe even the best.
Agreed, could have got into the peak barcelona side with xavi and iniesta. Scholes was that good.

El Jefe

As usual the discussion around Scholes turns into a farce.

In every other comparison thread for players, people discuss actual achievements, memorable games, seasons and tournaments, goal contributions etc. Scholes is the player on the caf that quotes are used his main argument. It's honestly laughable.

Quotes are the icing on the cake for players. The body of work for Scholes pales in comparison to the actual best players ever in his position and any objective person can clearly see this. People in here are discussing the quotes more than what he actually did.

If a thread on how good was Rooney, Cantona, Ronaldo, Giggs thread popped up, people would actually talk about what they remember and the things they did primarily. As a Manchester United fan you shouldn't need quotes from others to validate your thoughts on a player. Just gives further credence to the belief that the quotes have created a myth around Scholes.

dinostar77

In every other comparison thread for players, people discuss actual achievements, memorable games, seasons and tournaments, goal contributions etc. Scholes is the player on the caf that quotes are used his main argument. It's honestly laughable.

Quotes are the icing on the cake for players. The body of work for Scholes pales in comparison to the actual best players ever in his position and any objective person can clearly see this. People in here are discussing the quotes more than what he actually did.

If a thread on how good was Rooney, Cantona, Ronaldo, Giggs thread popped up, people would actually talk about what they remember and the things they did primarily. As a Manchester United fan you shouldn't need quotes from others to validate your thoughts on a player. Just gives further credence to the belief that the quotes have created a myth around Scholes.
Your on a Man utd website, what did you expect? I could go on a barcelona fansite and talk about how utterly boring watching xavi play football was.

Oranges038

Not denying Scholes was a fantastic player but if he was who those quotes said he was his individual honours will prove that.

"Individual awards are popularity contests" will be the rebuttal but how come the truly elite CMs have these individuals awards but Scholes doesn't? The easy and obvious answer is that he wasn't at the level of these players.

The quotes are great and all but what people said in real time is what counts more. Open up some threads from when Scholes was still playing and I seriously doubt he was being called best midfielder of the generation or any other OTT praise he's received since retiring.
Like this thread there are plenty of varying opnions.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/paul-scholes.37770/

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/paul-scholes-the-complete-footballer-appreciation-thread.37847/

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/paul-scholes-passing.138415/

Some people even thought he was a problem.. mostly when he had that vision problem around 04/05.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/paul-scholes-how-much-longer.95619/

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-official-i-blame-paul-scholes-thread.93143/

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/paul-scholes.52072/

He was absolutely a great player. One of the greatest midfielders of his generation? That's really the only debatable part.

Stacks

Like this thread there are plenty of varying opnions.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/paul-scholes.37770/

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/paul-scholes-the-complete-footballer-appreciation-thread.37847/

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/paul-scholes-passing.138415/

Some people even thought he was a problem.. mostly when he had that vision problem around 04/05.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/paul-scholes-how-much-longer.95619/

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-official-i-blame-paul-scholes-thread.93143/

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/paul-scholes.52072/

He was absolutely a great player. One of the greatest midfielders of his generation? That's really the only debatable part.
agreed

when I jump into these convos, it is not because I dont rate Scholes or hate him. Its because I feel he gets lumped amongst midfielders he has little business being lumped with especially in terms of impact at all levels. It is not because I don't think he was quality.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I think that most of us agree that you're the one who turned it in to a farce by not accepting that Paul Scholes was one of the greatest players of his generation

El Jefe

I think that most of us agree that you're the one who turned it in to a farce by not accepting that Paul Scholes was one of the greatest players of his generation
There's a difference between being in the top 3-5 midfielders and being in the top 10-15 in a generation. Scholes belongs in the latter.

Happy to debate that with anyone has talking points other than quotes about him.

OrcaFat

There's a difference between being in the top 3-5 midfielders and being in the top 10-15 in a generation. Scholes belongs in the latter.

Happy to debate that with anyone has talking points other than quotes about him.
The debate is circular. It comes down to how you perceive the game. There is no wrong answer in that respect.

The quotes are just evidence of prominent people in the game who agree with those of us who rate Scholes at the highest level.

There isn’t much anecdotal evidence to the contrary but nobody’s going to make a point of saying “Scholes is good but not great”, it’s not the sort of thing that comes up in interviews. Having said that, the weight of opinion is considerable in favour of Scholes being a class above.

Possibly it can be argued that you can’t point to a season or a particular high profile match where Scholes was strikingly, decisively outstanding. But that argument is really missing the point because he was always (pretty much) outstanding if you perceive what he did (and the way he did it) to be fundamentally important.

He had spectacular moments but mostly he was quietly brilliant. Meanwhile, the teams he played in were successful and good to watch. People have argued that not much of that success was down to Scholes but that just goes back to the very different ways people see the game. Again, there’s no wrong answer but trying to debate it will just lead us around in a circle.

Stacks

The debate is circular. It comes down to how you perceive the game. There is no wrong answer in that respect.

The quotes are just evidence of prominent people in the game who agree with those of us who rate Scholes at the highest level.

There isn’t much anecdotal evidence to the contrary but nobody’s going to make a point of saying “Scholes is good but not great”, it’s not the sort of thing that comes up in interviews. Having said that, the weight of opinion is considerable in favour of Scholes being a class above.

Possibly it can be argued that you can’t point to a season or a particular high profile match where Scholes was strikingly, decisively outstanding. But that argument is really missing the point because he was always (pretty much) outstanding if you perceive what he did (and the way he did it) to be fundamentally important.

He had spectacular moments but mostly he was quietly brilliant. Meanwhile, the teams he played in were successful and good to watch. People have argued that not much of that success was down to Scholes but that just goes back to the very different ways people see the game. Again, there’s no wrong answer but trying to debate it will just lead us around in a circle.
I agree.

jeff_goldblum

Some people have picked up this odd belief that Scholes' career can be divided into neat little chunks where he nearly always played in X or Y position, and was therefore never good in multiple roles at once.

In reality, his early first-team appearances were as a second striker but from 1997 - 2001 he mostly played as a central midfielder in a two whilst also seeing significant gametime further forward. For 2-3 seasons from 2001 he was mostly playing behind a striker, but was still seeing plenty of gametime in deeper positions and performing well there. To pick out one example, he was outstanding against Arsenal at Highbury in 2003/4 playing exactly the same metronome/deep-lying playmaker role he made his trademark a few years later.

Whilst it's true to say that he really settled into that deeper role later in his career, he always had it in his locker and you could pick out a few games where he played a similar role from basically any season between 1997 and his second retirement.

El Jefe

I agree with everything you've said especially the bolded part as that is my main point about Scholes. Those moments are what separate the tiers of great players. For example its what separates KDB from someone like Mbappe.

Everyone in the first tier has many of these games. It doesn't mean that Scholes isn't a great player as he obviously was.

cybertej29

Scholes was THE most important player for us during our success in the 2000s. The greatest player I have seen play for United, and I have been watching us play since the late 90s. Oh how I wish he still played for us, there will never be one of his ilk again.

Stacks

Scholes was THE most important player for us during our success in the 2000s. The greatest player I have seen play for United, and I have been watching us play since the late 90s. Oh how I wish he still played for us, there will never be one of his ilk again.
The first part of the 2000s was Roy Keane. the 2nd part Cristiano.

Righteous Steps

Well, sure lets look away from all these quotes from some of the best players he ever faced, managers, Ferguson and lets assume they are not correct. Lets assume Pep (and all these other players I’ve mentioned), for some mysterius reason, felt like hyping Scholes. Both when he was playing and ten and fifteen years latter.

In fact, this gag by Pep and the other players from La Masia, still continue and at the expense of other players. Just last month Pep said he prefer Scholes over Lampard and Gerrard. Probably just romanticising, right?

It is pure ignorance. Nothing else.
Zidane also said Gerrard was the best player in the world for a period of a couple years(not true), but every top player has good quotes about them, I can actually comprise a similar list of quotes about Gerrard, from the likes of Totti, Kaka, Viera, Zidane, Ancelotti, Fabregas etc, the one who doesn’t have as much adulation is Lampard.

Quotes are good but its not the be all and end all, Scholes was certainly not the best midfielder of his generation but he was in a tier of a few just below the very best which would be Xavi, Zidane, Pirlo for example, nothing wrong with that opinion, anyone who’s saying he was the best of his generation when he wasn’t the best midfielder in England or at United is a bit off the mark for me.

Stacks

Zidane also said Gerrard was the best player in the world for a period of a couple years(not true), but every top player has good quotes about them, I can actually comprise a similar list of quotes about Gerrard, from the likes of Totti, Kaka, Viera, Zidane, Ancelotti, Fabregas etc, the one who doesn’t have as much adulation is Lampard.

Quotes are good but its not the be all and end all, Scholes was certainly not the best midfielder of his generation but he was in a tier of a few just below the very best which would be Xavi, Zidane, Pirlo for example, nothing wrong with that opinion, anyone who’s saying he was the best of his generation when he wasn’t the best midfielder in England or at United is a bit off the mark for me.
Players talk out of both sides of their mouth. e.g. take Rooneys comment;

Wayne Rooney
“I’d have to say Stevie [was the best England team-mate]. For me he’s an incredible player, an incredible leader. He helped me a lot during my early days with England.”

Fernando Torres
“I’m spoilt having a team-mate like Gerrard as I can count on him supplying me with perfect passes. You make the run into the space and however tightly marked he is, he finds a way to get the ball through in perfect condition.

“The highest compliment I can pay him is that he’s as creative as a Xavi at Barcelona, with something extra as well. When you add his energy, toughness, leadership and goalscoring ability and the result is a fantastic all-round player. He is without doubt the greatest player I have ever played with, he has everything.”

Luis Suarez
“There are a small number of players in the world that are irreplaceable, and Steven is one of them. Not just irreplaceable as a player but also as a captain, and what he represents for Liverpool.”

Pele
“To me he is one of the super best midfielders in the world. He is an excellent player.”
Pele:
Gerrard is an excellent player, absolutely world-class. If I was a manager, everywhere I went I would buy Steven Gerrard. He is always looking forward and has a big heart.

Paolo Maldini

“What I have always liked of Steven is that on the pitch he was very quiet, but was capable of inspiring all his team-mates with great strength, not so much with words. The real example – and that is what I’ve learned from players like Steven and Franco Baresi – is to do rather than talk.

“And he was indeed one who did a lot and since he also had great talent, he was easy to follow. His story is one of those stories to be told, one of those fairytales, to be narrated to your children and grandchildren.”

Zinedine Zidane
“There was a point when Gerrard was the best midfield player in the world. It is unusual to get complete midfield players who can do everything, but that is what he was.”

Zinedine Zidane: Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of (Lionel) Messi and Ronaldo but yes, I think he just might be.If you don’t have a player like Steven Gerrard, who is the engine room, it can affect the whole team. He has great passing ability, can tackle and scores goals, but most importantly he gives the players around him confidence and belief. You can’t learn that — players like him are just born with that presence.

Zinedine Zidane:

“I have said in the past that at his peak he was the best in the world. I think it was the summer of 2004 I was having a conversation with Florentino (Perez) And I told him I wanted him to partner me in midfield for Madrid.”

Sir Alex Ferguson
“If you were looking for the player you would replace Keane with, it would be Gerrard, without question. He has become the most influential player in England, bar none. More than Vieira. Not that Vieira lacks anything, but I think that Gerrard does more for his team than Vieira does, and has way more to his game.

“I’ve watched him quite a lot. To me, Gerrard is Keane. Everywhere the ball is, he seems to be there. He’s got that unbelievable engine, desire, determination. Anyone would love to have Gerrard in their team.”

Patrick Vieira
“In my opinion he’s in the top three midfielders in the world, maybe the best right now. I heard what Alex Ferguson said about him being better than me. He’s probably right. Gerrard is England’s best player and he single-handedly got Liverpool into the Champions League.

“He is the complete player. He can score, he has a great final ball, he can tackle and he drives his team forward. He is a winner on the pitch, which is why I really admire him.”

Patrick Vieira: I heard what Alex Ferguson said about him being better than me. He’s probably right

Patrick Vieira:

The best midfielder I would say is Steven Gerrard. I really rate him as a player and a man.

Jamie Redknapp
“Everybody has their favourite midfield player. Some say Paul Scholes, some Roy Keane or Patrick Vieira or Frank Lampard. But the reason I always say Stevie, having played with him and against him, is because he encapsulated what they all do well rolled into one.

“He’s got a little bit of everything. He can score goals like Lampard, tackle like Keane… My dad summed it up perfectly when he first saw him play. He said, ‘He’s like Roy of the Rovers, that kid.’ That’s what Stevie is and that’s why they love him at Liverpool.”

Francesco Totti
“Steven Gerrard would be the captain of my World XI dream team. Gerrard is a complete player because he can play in every position and can do everything with a football at any time in a game.

“He’s a player who scores goals, who builds the play, he’s a sensational player.”

Thierry Henry: I find it a disgrace that he didn’t win European Footballer of the Year in 2005 after Istanbul. For me, he is one of the best ever. “Whenever you play Liverpool you know you have to get him out of the game. If not, it’s all over for you. “He’s a midfielder and if you look at all the important goals he’s scored – well I can’t even think of a striker in the world who has scored as many important goals, never mind a midfielder. How many times has he done it in the dying seconds of a game? I am trying to think of a striker now who does it – there aren’t any. Think about it.

Mario Balotelli
“I think of him as being at the same level as Pirlo. Vision, technique, but he is powerful as well. Stevie can do anything. It’s going to be very difficult for the team to find another player like him in the future.”

Andrea Pirlo
“While at Milan he Ancelotti came to me and said, ‘I want to sign Steven Gerrard to play next to you in midfield – what do you think?’ Without any hesitation I told him, ‘Do it – go and sign him.’ At this stage he was probably the most complete midfield player in Europe, of course I wanted to partner him.

“I remember asking Carlo a few weeks later how it was going, and he told me Gerrard had given a very firm no, that his bond with Liverpool was unbreakable. At the time Milan were the champions of Europe and probably had the best team in the world – it says a lot about Gerrard’s loyalty.”

Andrea Pirlo: He is an excellent passer of the ball, possesses an intelligent football brain, and has great vision.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic
“I think Steven Gerrard is a fantastic player. He has been loyal to his club, he has won some big trophies with the club. He feels more an international player rather than a normal English player.

“English players have big hearts, always fighting, very aggressive, but Gerrard, for me, feels more international. He has more skills than the normal player. Every time we play against Steven, the coach always says to be careful with that player because he is the player who makes the difference.”

Phil Neville
“In terms of an influence on one club, you’d probably say Gerrard has been the best in the Premier League.

“If you talk about Liverpool players over the years – and they have had some greats – I have never once thought I’d like to put him in a Manchester United shirt. Gerrard was one – put him in a United midfield next to Scholes or Keane and wow, utopia.”

Kaka
“For me, and I have always said this, he will be regarded as one of the greatest midfielders ever. No doubt.”
Kaka:
An excellent player, in my opinion, he is a modern player because he is a player who runs, marks, knows how to pass, cross, score goals and he is a leader on the field for Liverpool. So he is a player that I would like to have in my team. He has the heart of a lion and is the icon of the modern footballer with his ability to attack and defend so well.

Carlo Ancelotti:
He is undoubtedly one of the best midfield players in the world.

Cesc Fabregas: I would pay to watch Steven Gerrard.

Daniel de Rossi: Gerrard has been my idol for 10 years and is one of the best players in the world. He is the example of what all midfield players aspire to. He is always there in the heat of the battle, leading by example. He is everywhere you look – in defence, in the middle of the pitch and in attack. I would love to be close to that level

Alessandro Nesta:
One of my toughest but most sporting opponents. An example on and off the pitch

David Villa: I really love Steven Gerrard. He is someone I have a real soft spot for. He has everything. I love the way he plays. He’s an inspirational leader, he scores goals, he plays great passes, he runs powerfully, he tackles… everything. Stevie is just brilliant – the complete player.

Ronaldinho: “Cristiano is a great player. But Steven Gerrard is, for me, one of the very best in the world. For the job he performs, for me, he is one of the greatest.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

But I’m not denying Gerrard was a great player. Who is? Even world class too for a period. Pep thinks Scholes was better. I do too. Just like I have always prefered Iniesta or Modric over de Bruyne.

But that is not even the discussion here. Someone claimed that there has been some sort of rewriting of history and that nobody rated Scholes as highly when he was a player. I just pointed out and proved that was not the case. That is why I found a few quotes from when Scholes was active. Pep has always loved Scholes.

Righteous Steps

But I’m not denying Gerrard was a great player. Who is? Even world class too for a period. Pep thinks Scholes was better. I do too. Just like I have always prefered Iniesta or Modric over de Bruyne.

But that is not even the discussion here. Someone claimed that there has been some sort of rewriting of history and that nobody rated Scholes as highly when he was a player. I just pointed out and proved that was not the case. That is why I found a few quotes from when Scholes was active. Pep has always loved Scholes.
Ok I get you, Scholes was undoubtedly world class, after Xavi Pirlo Modric he would be near the top of midfielders I would take In a starting XI

OrcaFat

Players talk out of both sides of their mouth. e.g. take Rooneys comment;

Wayne Rooney
“I’d have to say Stevie [was the best England team-mate]. For me he’s an incredible player, an incredible leader. He helped me a lot during my early days with England.”

Fernando Torres
“I’m spoilt having a team-mate like Gerrard as I can count on him supplying me with perfect passes. You make the run into the space and however tightly marked he is, he finds a way to get the ball through in perfect condition.

“The highest compliment I can pay him is that he’s as creative as a Xavi at Barcelona, with something extra as well. When you add his energy, toughness, leadership and goalscoring ability and the result is a fantastic all-round player. He is without doubt the greatest player I have ever played with, he has everything.”

Luis Suarez
“There are a small number of players in the world that are irreplaceable, and Steven is one of them. Not just irreplaceable as a player but also as a captain, and what he represents for Liverpool.”

Pele
“To me he is one of the super best midfielders in the world. He is an excellent player.”
Pele:
Gerrard is an excellent player, absolutely world-class. If I was a manager, everywhere I went I would buy Steven Gerrard. He is always looking forward and has a big heart.

Paolo Maldini

“What I have always liked of Steven is that on the pitch he was very quiet, but was capable of inspiring all his team-mates with great strength, not so much with words. The real example – and that is what I’ve learned from players like Steven and Franco Baresi – is to do rather than talk.

“And he was indeed one who did a lot and since he also had great talent, he was easy to follow. His story is one of those stories to be told, one of those fairytales, to be narrated to your children and grandchildren.”

Zinedine Zidane
“There was a point when Gerrard was the best midfield player in the world. It is unusual to get complete midfield players who can do everything, but that is what he was.”

Zinedine Zidane: Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of (Lionel) Messi and Ronaldo but yes, I think he just might be.If you don’t have a player like Steven Gerrard, who is the engine room, it can affect the whole team. He has great passing ability, can tackle and scores goals, but most importantly he gives the players around him confidence and belief. You can’t learn that — players like him are just born with that presence.

Zinedine Zidane:

“I have said in the past that at his peak he was the best in the world. I think it was the summer of 2004 I was having a conversation with Florentino (Perez) And I told him I wanted him to partner me in midfield for Madrid.”

Sir Alex Ferguson
“If you were looking for the player you would replace Keane with, it would be Gerrard, without question. He has become the most influential player in England, bar none. More than Vieira. Not that Vieira lacks anything, but I think that Gerrard does more for his team than Vieira does, and has way more to his game.

“I’ve watched him quite a lot. To me, Gerrard is Keane. Everywhere the ball is, he seems to be there. He’s got that unbelievable engine, desire, determination. Anyone would love to have Gerrard in their team.”

Patrick Vieira
“In my opinion he’s in the top three midfielders in the world, maybe the best right now. I heard what Alex Ferguson said about him being better than me. He’s probably right. Gerrard is England’s best player and he single-handedly got Liverpool into the Champions League.

“He is the complete player. He can score, he has a great final ball, he can tackle and he drives his team forward. He is a winner on the pitch, which is why I really admire him.”

Patrick Vieira: I heard what Alex Ferguson said about him being better than me. He’s probably right

Patrick Vieira:

The best midfielder I would say is Steven Gerrard. I really rate him as a player and a man.

Jamie Redknapp
“Everybody has their favourite midfield player. Some say Paul Scholes, some Roy Keane or Patrick Vieira or Frank Lampard. But the reason I always say Stevie, having played with him and against him, is because he encapsulated what they all do well rolled into one.

“He’s got a little bit of everything. He can score goals like Lampard, tackle like Keane… My dad summed it up perfectly when he first saw him play. He said, ‘He’s like Roy of the Rovers, that kid.’ That’s what Stevie is and that’s why they love him at Liverpool.”

Francesco Totti
“Steven Gerrard would be the captain of my World XI dream team. Gerrard is a complete player because he can play in every position and can do everything with a football at any time in a game.

“He’s a player who scores goals, who builds the play, he’s a sensational player.”

Thierry Henry: I find it a disgrace that he didn’t win European Footballer of the Year in 2005 after Istanbul. For me, he is one of the best ever. “Whenever you play Liverpool you know you have to get him out of the game. If not, it’s all over for you. “He’s a midfielder and if you look at all the important goals he’s scored – well I can’t even think of a striker in the world who has scored as many important goals, never mind a midfielder. How many times has he done it in the dying seconds of a game? I am trying to think of a striker now who does it – there aren’t any. Think about it.

Mario Balotelli
“I think of him as being at the same level as Pirlo. Vision, technique, but he is powerful as well. Stevie can do anything. It’s going to be very difficult for the team to find another player like him in the future.”

Andrea Pirlo
“While at Milan he Ancelotti came to me and said, ‘I want to sign Steven Gerrard to play next to you in midfield – what do you think?’ Without any hesitation I told him, ‘Do it – go and sign him.’ At this stage he was probably the most complete midfield player in Europe, of course I wanted to partner him.

“I remember asking Carlo a few weeks later how it was going, and he told me Gerrard had given a very firm no, that his bond with Liverpool was unbreakable. At the time Milan were the champions of Europe and probably had the best team in the world – it says a lot about Gerrard’s loyalty.”

Andrea Pirlo: He is an excellent passer of the ball, possesses an intelligent football brain, and has great vision.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic
“I think Steven Gerrard is a fantastic player. He has been loyal to his club, he has won some big trophies with the club. He feels more an international player rather than a normal English player.

“English players have big hearts, always fighting, very aggressive, but Gerrard, for me, feels more international. He has more skills than the normal player. Every time we play against Steven, the coach always says to be careful with that player because he is the player who makes the difference.”

Phil Neville
“In terms of an influence on one club, you’d probably say Gerrard has been the best in the Premier League.

“If you talk about Liverpool players over the years – and they have had some greats – I have never once thought I’d like to put him in a Manchester United shirt. Gerrard was one – put him in a United midfield next to Scholes or Keane and wow, utopia.”

Kaka
“For me, and I have always said this, he will be regarded as one of the greatest midfielders ever. No doubt.”
Kaka:
An excellent player, in my opinion, he is a modern player because he is a player who runs, marks, knows how to pass, cross, score goals and he is a leader on the field for Liverpool. So he is a player that I would like to have in my team. He has the heart of a lion and is the icon of the modern footballer with his ability to attack and defend so well.

Carlo Ancelotti:
He is undoubtedly one of the best midfield players in the world.

Cesc Fabregas: I would pay to watch Steven Gerrard.

Daniel de Rossi: Gerrard has been my idol for 10 years and is one of the best players in the world. He is the example of what all midfield players aspire to. He is always there in the heat of the battle, leading by example. He is everywhere you look – in defence, in the middle of the pitch and in attack. I would love to be close to that level

Alessandro Nesta:
One of my toughest but most sporting opponents. An example on and off the pitch

David Villa: I really love Steven Gerrard. He is someone I have a real soft spot for. He has everything. I love the way he plays. He’s an inspirational leader, he scores goals, he plays great passes, he runs powerfully, he tackles… everything. Stevie is just brilliant – the complete player.

Ronaldinho: “Cristiano is a great player. But Steven Gerrard is, for me, one of the very best in the world. For the job he performs, for me, he is one of the greatest.
Gerrard was bloody good, it has to be said. Scholes was better in some ways, not in others. If I have to build a team around one of them it’s Scholes.

But it’s comparing apples to oranges because really they could play together in a midfield three. In the context of our current midfield Scholes = Eriksen, Gerrard = Bruno, and both would go well with Casemiro.

OrcaFat

Ok I get you, Scholes was undoubtedly world class, after Xavi Pirlo Modric he would be near the top of midfielders I would take In a starting XI
Yeah those three were even better than Scholes. But if they were all injured and you had to bring Scholes in, you’d barely notice a drop off.

Revan

Assumptionman
Gerrard was bloody good, it has to be said. Scholes was better in some ways, not in others. If I have to build a team around one of them it’s Scholes.

But it’s comparing apples to oranges because really they could play together in a midfield three. In the context of our current midfield Scholes = Eriksen, Gerrard = Bruno, and both would go well with Casemiro.
Interestingly, no United team was ever built around him. It was first Cantona, then York/Cole/Beckham/Keane, then Ruud, then Ronaldo, then Rooney, then RVP. Never Scholes. He was often benched in many high-profile games (semis against Juve), final against Barca.

I mean, he was bloody good, but United fans put him in Xavi/Pirlo pedestal, where he simply wasn't. There is a reason why Gerrard finished in top 3 in Ballon D'Or and Scholes never received a single vote.

Saying that, he was an excellent supporting player. Just not the main player. Or the second best player in the team. Or the third one.

OrcaFat

Interestingly, no United team was ever built around him. It was first Cantona, then York/Cole/Beckham/Keane, then Ruud, then Ronaldo, then Rooney, then RVP. Never Scholes. He was often benched in many high-profile games (semis against Juve), final against Barca.

I mean, he was bloody good, but United fans put him in Xavi/Pirlo pedestal, where he simply wasn't. There is a reason why Gerrard finished in top 3 in Ballon D'Or and Scholes never received a single vote.

Saying that, he was an excellent supporting player. Just not the main player. Or the second best player in the team. Or the third one.
I disagree. He was usually the best player in our team.

OrcaFat

In what season he was our best player?
Well, essentially, always, especially from his mid twenties onwards.

I’m aware there were players who sustained eye-catching or productive performances across significant periods of one season or another. I’m not taking anything away from those guys - they had their moments and took them with aplomb. Scholes is just fundamentally better than them all, in my opinion.

It’s the way I see the game - what Scholes did, and the way he did it, is what the whole thing is about, for me. I think SAF agrees with me but I can’t say for sure.

Revan

Assumptionman
Well, essentially, always, especially from his mid twenties onwards.

I’m aware there were players who sustained eye-catching or productive performances across significant periods of one season or another. I’m not taking anything away from those guys - they had their moments and took them with aplomb. Scholes is just fundamentally better than them all, in my opinion.

It’s the way I see the game - what Scholes did, and the way he did it, is what the whole thing is about, for me. I think SAF agrees with me but I can’t say for sure.
Yeah, he was better than Cantona, Keano, Giggs, Ruud, Ronaldo, Rooney and RVP. In some parallel universe though, not in this one.

jeff_goldblum

I think an interesting thought experiment would be to consider whether we'd be talking about Xavi as one of the best of all time had he never played under a manager in Pep whose philosophy and style of play suited him perfectly.