How good was peak Kaka?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He wasn’t overrated he just burned brightly for only a few years that’s all.

I’m a big believer that if Messi quit football in 2013 he’d still be the greatest footballer ever to grace the game for instance.

Kaka dominated that years Champions League tournament the likes of which Rivaldo never got the chance to in 99’.

Rivaldo didn’t exactly dominate a World Cup either he just happened to play for Brazil. Again I like both players so I don’t get why your fishing for arguments and downplaying one for the other. It’s redundant.
I wouldn't play down Kaka's fantastic Champions League campaign in 2006/07. But to be fair to Rivaldo he had some barnstorming performances himself in Europe in 1999, particularly in the group of death with United and Bayern. But internationally there's some distance between them. Rivaldo had two compelling World Cups - one of the best players in 1998 and a solid case for being the player of the tournament in 2002 - which he was quite comfortably in the 1999 Copa America.

Righteous Steps

It really wasn't until the injuries kicked in. From 03-04(best player in the league) to 07/08 his only patchy season in serie A was 04/05, which is kinda natural given it was his second season and teams zeroed in on stopping him first and foremost. From 05/06 to 07/08 he was almost a one-man team. Stop Kaka, you stopped Milan

Thank you, someone who actually watched Serie A during these years, a lot of posters just look at stats, and honours and make their conclusions from there, it doesn’t always give you whole picture.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I thought Seedorf and Pirlo were the inconsistent ones in that Milan midfield rather than Kaka. Kaka did have a couple of seasons where you could argue he didn't score as much as he should have in the league considering his role, but he almost always played excellently. The other two, i remember seedorf always getting criticised on forums for his inconsistency though to be fair he was probably past his best by 2006 or so in retrospect. Pirlo after the world cup and CL win seemed to lose motivation and spent his last few seasons coasting.

tjb

Hazard is actually a good comparison in terms of talent and stature, except Kaka shone more in the CL, whilst hazard was securing league titles. Kaka also played with vastly better attackers at Milan than hazard did at Chelsea.

Kaka was maybe a bit better overall, but that's his echelon, not the likes of Rivaldo, Neymar et al.
I think Neymar is more talented, but if we are actually talking about greatness and their career overview, I'm not sure Neymar can actually claim to be greater. Neymar has never even placed top 3 in Ballon D'or proceedings. Again, he is more talented, but his effect on the game has not been as substantial thus far.

MrEleson

I'd agree with pretty much all of this.

I've always found Kaka to be somewhat overrated. Obviously a great player who had a fantastic CL in 06/07, but over the course of that entire season Ronaldo was comfortably better in both their respective leagues and at international level. Kaka wasn't even the best in the Serie A that season (that would be Totti). The fact that it came down to our CL tie as to who would win the Ballon d'Or was a bit silly considering we had a side absolutely devastated by injury (especially in defence) and were trying to win every competition while Milan had long given up in the league and were resting players for the CL, plus Ronaldo himself was playing through an ankle or heel injury at the time. The massive CL-bias worked in Ronaldo's favour when he won it in one of his latter seasons purely because of his CL performances, but it would have been nice if he'd won it twice with us like he deserved to.
This. I always felt his 2007 Ballon D'or wasn't 100% deserved although he was a worthy winner. His CL campaign was superb but generally he wasn't definitively the best player that year.

Eddy_JukeZ

I think Neymar is more talented, but if we are actually talking about greatness and their career overview, I'm not sure Neymar can actually claim to be greater. Neymar has never even placed top 3 in Ballon D'or proceedings. Again, he is more talented, but his effect on the game has not been as substantial thus far.
Neymar has placed top 3 twice in Ballon D'Or, so you are mistaken.

He was 3rd in 2015 and 2017.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Kaka was a better dribbler I think.
And just flat-out faster. I don't think he had KdB's consistentcy in finding a killer pass or cross but he could do stuff himself KdB could never.

The obvious one, skill and timing:

Pure speed in extra time:

Even more speed:

End-to-end sprint

And maybe Kaka had a better long-range shot, I'm not sure.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
And just flat-out faster. I don't think he had KdB's consistentcy in finding a killer pass or cross but he could do stuff himself KdB could never.

The obvious one, skill and timing:

Pure speed in extra time:

Even more speed:

End-to-end sprint

And maybe Kaka had a better long-range shot, I'm not sure.
I agree with all of this.

TheLiverBird

Injuries made his fall from the top incredible, he fell down like a sack of s***

sad really from a viewing point of view, because at his peak he was nothing short of remarkable, was certainly the worlds best player for a period which is a peak every single player on planet Earthcould only wish for

so how good was he?? Better than the rest at the time basically

but his time at the top was short, hence why any GOAT statuses are pretty silly

he was great during those few years, and it was a privilege to see such talent

AungAung

Supports
Liverpool
Still remember that time when City attempted to sign Kaka from Milan. Though they couldnt do it, i think it probably contributes towards his sale next summer to Real.

Before that City attempt, he wasnt linked with any other clubs and seemed as if he will be in Milan for long.

After City attempt, it looked like he could be tempted to move if team like Real, Barca can fork out the right price.

Luke1995

How good was Kaka's first half of 2009-10 season actually ? I remember him playing very well in that clasico Barça won 1-0 in the Camp Nou.

Anyone that followed Madrid very closely that season can remember how he played before the year 2010 came around ?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Was generally good and made a real difference when not injured or struggling for fitness or playing through injury, which unfortunately was the majority of the time

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Kaka moving to Madrid wasn't bad
Except it followed with Ronaldo joining straight after and madrid suited Cristiano more

He was great that year he tore us apart and the year or two before that.

I remember city were in for him but obviously it was a few years too early City for Kaka sake

He did glide across the pitch which was fun to watch when it wasn't against your team
I think what didn't suit Kaka was injuries.

In other circumstances he would have triumphed. He was too good not to.

KekiZeki

Kaka had it all. He made a move that was wrong for him, but having seen what happened to Milan I can't say he wouldn't fall in form if he stayed there. They never rejuvenated that great team they had.
I wouldn't mind seeing him in England, but only options for him seemed to be Chelsea willing to spend that much so I am glad he didn't go there. He'd be a fierce opponent.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Kaka had it all. He made a move that was wrong for him, but having seen what happened to Milan I can't say he wouldn't fall in form if he stayed there. They never rejuvenated that great team they had.
I wouldn't mind seeing him in England, but only options for him seemed to be Chelsea willing to spend that much so I am glad he didn't go there. He'd be a fierce opponent.
Don't you remember the City bid? Some fan even got a tattoo of him :lol:

lex talionis

We know about the injuries, but focusing just on his peak years you'd have to put Kaka on the same bucket as Zidane.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Nah, not that great; probably not a TopTop player (as SAF would say) other than 06-07 (his peak). As others have said, he only truly worked in a 4-2-3-1. Pirlo was just as important in that AC Milan as Kaka was. But I do admit that he was great in 2006-2007. Think of Bruno on a good day and that was Kaká for the entire 06-07 campaign.

Consistently disappointing with Brazil, other than being part of the squad of 2002.

lawliet354

Shouldn't have joined Real Madrid in my opinion. I will always remember him most for when he pretty much tore us apart in the CL that one season. As well as one of, if not the best through ball i've ever seen against Liverpool in the CL final, just absolutely unreal, it's perfect.

This is the best assist of all time, watch it live on TV and couldn't believe what I just saw, every aspect of that goal is perfection. Had Kaka stay fit he would have won another Ballon D'or between Messi and Ronaldo, that's how good he was for me

Number32

Kaka is a taller Bruno Fernandes. He was great, but don't kid yourself to consider him as one of the GOAT.
He owed Pirlo so much during his peak, just like Pogba in Juve. He was lucky to play in a 2nd best Milan team in their history (Sacchi's Milan 1st).
He only did his best in Milan, but never shining in Brazil and Real.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Kaka is a taller Bruno Fernandes. He was great, but don't kid yourself to consider him as one of the GOAT.
He owed Pirlo so much during his peak, just like Pogba in Juve. He was lucky to play in a 2nd best Milan team in their history (Sacchi's Milan 1st).
He only did his best in Milan, but never shining in Brazil and Real.
How many goals has Bruno scored running with the ball from his box to the opposing box?

totally different style players

Messi trying to catch Kaka pace

Charlie Foley

Goal against Celtic was phenomenal

Jesus celebration

Mugged Evra and Vidic at Old Trafford
Vidic did not play in the match at Old Trafford. Back 4 of O’Shea, Brown, Heinze, Evra. They were bossing us until Gattuso got injured and was replaced by Brocchi, and we could open them up more easily.
Vidic came back for the second leg (he’d been out with a broken collar bone), Heinze moved to left back and Evra didn’t play, but Kaka’s pace troubled him. We really missed Rio in both of those games, he had the combo of pace and strength to match kaka as much as one could that year, and his back wasn’t starting to go yet (which saw him lose more physical duels, like against Torres at Anfield in 09)

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Nah, not that great; probably not a TopTop player (as SAF would say) other than 06-07 (his peak). As others have said, he only truly worked in a 4-2-3-1. Pirlo was just as important in that AC Milan as Kaka was. But I do admit that he was great in 2006-2007. Think of Bruno on a good day and that was Kaká for the entire 06-07 campaign.

Consistently disappointing with Brazil, other than being part of the squad of 2002.
Capello's Milan was better than Ancelotti's Milan. Much consistent.

Number32

How many goals has Bruno scored running with the ball from his box to the opposing box?

totally different style players

Messi trying to catch Kaka pace
That was a friendly game, he didn't do that frequently and why don't you mention Michael Carrick who had scored the same type of goal as comparison? That was a great goal, but it's silly to consider this goal as Kaka's style of play. Bruno probably would has the moment like this too, because I believe he's not on his peak yet.

Kaka is no Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, or Rivaldo. I agree he has pace and flair to take down any player, but he is so smart to safe that energy because that's not his game. He loved to dictate the tempo, creating chance for striker, or shooting from long range.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Vidic did not play in the match at Old Trafford. Back 4 of O’Shea, Brown, Heinze, Evra. They were bossing us until Gattuso got injured and was replaced by Brocchi, and we could open them up more easily.
Vidic came back for the second leg (he’d been out with a broken collar bone), Heinze moved to left back and Evra didn’t play, but Kaka’s pace troubled him. We really missed Rio in both of those games, he had the combo of pace and strength to match kaka as much as one could that year, and his back wasn’t starting to go yet (which saw him lose more physical duels, like against Torres at Anfield in 09)
I forgot dammit

Son

Which attacking player in today's game would you put him at roughly the same level as?
KDB but gotta say Kaka definitely shone more on the grand stages. His style was more eye catching for the football purists the way he glided past opponents. A treat to watch.

Reminded me of Rivaldo in a lot of ways the way he had a short peak too. Rivaldo in 1999-2001 was a monster of a footballer. One of the best footballers we have ever faced going by the group stage in 1999.

Rivaldo for sure never got the same love from the fans as Kaka did partly his own fault but was a goal machine and more consistent all through his career.

norm87cro

Brilliant. Put it this way in 07 he won the Ballon and in 08 Ronaldo did the same. United and Milan were the two last euro champions before Barca.In 09 Real signed both and I genuenly didn't know who would turn into a better player back then.

Jibbs

Peak Kaka... floated like a butterfly, stung like a bee.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I always thought he flattered to deceive and I didn’t think he was as good as people made out if I’m being honest.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's a bit overrated. Excellent footballer but stuff like David Silva plus Ronaldhinio or GOAT level doesn't help.

thepolice123

David Silva and Ronaldinho combined.
Not really. He plays more like a second striker or roaming attacking midfielder. He is not really a playmaker. I’d say his technical ability is also a tier below them. He can be pretty inconsistent with it, similar to Bruno and Rooney. The only difference is his pace and power was ATG levels.

Revan

Assumptionman
If we consider only the peak, then he was the third-best player of his generation after Messi and Ronaldo.

Murray3007

one of my fav non united players of all time, loved watching him, just misses out on my top 5 for Iniesta, but would be my 6th choice, always thought we should have replaced Ronaldo with him at the time,

LARulz

If we consider only the peak, then he was the third-best player of his generation after Messi and Ronaldo.
I always find these difficult - when does a generation start and end? Does Ronaldinho overlap?

Cloud7

At his peak the only word to describe him really is 'unstoppable'. He was probably my second favorite player after Ronaldo during that time.