How good was Raul?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The way he found space and used the ball is most reminiscent of Thomas Muller to me.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
I think it was Mourinho who described him best. 7 out of 10 at everything and always gave a high level. Fantastic player.
I am pretty sure Mourinho said that about Arbeloa and not Raul. Raul was definitely not just 7/10.

I think most members has summed Raul up pretty well. Another thing I want to add is that Raul was unlike someone like Ramos very diplomatic. He was not driven by hate and even could not say bad things about arc rivals Barcelona. He was liked by rivals as well. Very likeable person and played clean football.

Raul was the crown prince of Real Madrid and he will be the next coach of Real Madrid after Zidane.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think it was Mourinho who described him best. 7 out of 10 at everything and always gave a high level. Fantastic player.
That was coined by Guillem Ballague.

I see where he was coming from, but I didn't really agree. Maybe 7/10 in his physical attributes, but clearly he was a 9 or 10/10 finisher.

MalcolmTucker

By the time I was watching Madrid week in and week out, he was mostly holding them back. Was similar to the Rooney situation during the Moyes/LVG era, trading off reputation rather than current form, although not quite as extreme a drop-off.

Josh 76

Rio said he was his hardest opponent.
That's should say it all.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Imagine him at his peak playing behind Van Nistelrooy of 2002/2003.

We made a combo of Van Nistelrooy - Scholes that season and it was mint.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
So, Madrid fans, what is your take on the relationship between Raul and Ronaldo? There was talk at the time that Raul didn't take too kindly to Ronaldo as he was taking all his shine away and was a bigger name. Things smoothed a bit over time, but was there (that) reason why it took them so long to work as an actual partnership?

Theoretically, Raul should work with any lead-the-line striker, and Ronaldo was known to be superfluous with anyone, so the pairing should have been something from the heavens, even with Ronaldo in a declined state. So what gives?

RC89

Art Vandelay probably said it best earlier: one of the best in the world but never the best. A good comparison would be David Villa.
There were a couple of seasons where it could be argued David Villa was the best striker in the world.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Spanish Del Piero
Good one. I was thinking a mix between RvN and RvP, but Del Piero sounds better.

I remember him from the CL mostly, and for some reasn always thought he was a bit overrated when I was younger, but he scored a shitload of goals and mastered any aspect of the striker game. I had the same impression of Inzaghi for Juve, I never understood the guy, but when rewatching the 99 match against United I realised he was a real thunderbastard.

Must have a been a nightmare to play against both of those guys.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Spanish Del Piero
Spanish Miro Klose :)

The sort of players who doesn't seem to shine at any thing in particular because they do every thing just very well. Not egoistic enough to be flamboyant. Held in higher esteem by football savants than youtube fanboi movie makers. Their team usually wins.

Last edited:

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
For me, Raul is like a weird mix between Pedro and Cristiano.

His technical level (like Pedro) wasn't superb, but he was able to pull some of the most outrageus dribbles/controls you could see in a given season and you wouldn't be surprised, you knew he had it in him... just not on a consistent basis as other monters like Ronaldo, Del Piero or Zidane were doing in Raul's prime (96/2002)

He was also similar to him in workrate and stamina, he wasn't the fastest player, or the stronger, but he was a pest in attack and defense for 90 minutes, offering himself in good situations, and like Pedro, he had the "cojones" to try anything anytime without regard to the result or what the game demanded, and he had that clutch aura, he could fail 10 dribbles being up 2-0, but if the game was 2-2 you could bet on him beating his man, or scoring.

So, am I comparing him to Pedro? Hell no, Raul was in another galaxy because 11 times out of 10 (I know, I'm being pompous) he was the smartest player in the pitch, everything he did, was 5 seconds in advance of what we saw in the TV and 3 seconds before any other player reacted in the pitch. Like Cristiano he could read defenses, slip through his mark and appear where he had to be like no other player was able to do. Raul was Cristiano Ronaldo without the power, skillset or the physical prowess, but still able to do what was needed when it counted, had he the talent of someone like Del Piero or the power of, say, Adriano, he'd be in the top 10 ever.

He only was a 10 in his positioning/anticipation, he wasn't the best at any other skill you could pick from his rivals, but he was an 8 at everything, and his hunger was unparalleled.

Some of my favourite moments from him in my opinion (and I know, the second one seems illogical for a Barcelona fan)

He was slightly overrated because he was the face of Real Madrid, every player that carries the legacy of the biggest team in history for a long time will eventually be overrated, but he has ben also underrated because his last years granted him a lot of rivals due to his departures from the NT and Real Madrid.

Raul was too big to go out quietly, and his personality wouldn't let him take a step back as long as he felt he could do his 100%, but still, he was an iconic player of the 90's and 00's.

Also, if his penalty vs France was in and we ended up winning that tournament, we'd be talking completely different about him, he never had any luck in the NT tournaments, that Penalty, his Injury in 2002, our 98' fiasco (not his fault at all...), his legacy could've been bigger than Xavi, but luck is always a part of this sport.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I see where he was coming from, but I didn't really agree. Maybe 7/10 in his physical attributes, but clearly he was a 9 or 10/10 finisher.
I remember that vaguely. I think he said 10/10 in the mind and 7/10 everywhere else

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Will always remember him for his insane lobs above the keeper. Scored two absolutely outrageous ones for Schalke that'll always stick to my mind.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
You don't play over 700 games and score over 300 goals in that era of Real Madrid if you aren't a special player.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
I am pretty sure Mourinho said that about Arbeloa and not Raul. Raul was definitely not just 7/10.

I think most members has summed Raul up pretty well. Another thing I want to add is that Raul was unlike someone like Ramos very diplomatic. He was not driven by hate and even could not say bad things about arc rivals Barcelona. He was liked by rivals as well. Very likeable person and played clean football.

Raul was the crown prince of Real Madrid and he will be the next coach of Real Madrid after Zidane.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
He was very good, one of the best at what he did. I think this myth of him being "Jack of all trades, master of none", is silly. And he was definitely a superior player than Klose, no slight on Klose who was a good player on his own.

At his best in Real, he was a fantastic second striker with excellent finishing and also capable of creating for others and he had this Forlan type of mentality, highly intelligent and despite being a striker capable of dropping and creating.

And his innings at Schalke was one of the most heart warming fairy tale, he may not have achieved anything there compared to his Real stint, but it was a good comeback for a player everyone thought was done for.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Someone once said he was the opposite of Alvaro Recoba in almost every aspect.

Last edited:

spaceboyRSA

Decided to do a quick google. Turns out it was Hierro who coined it.

Either way point stands. A very balanced forward with fantastic mental side.

Also just seems like a nice guy.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Didn't need to control the ball in order to score, his class as a striker was indisputable. Could make something out of nothing and looked like he genuinely enjoying football.

Him with Casillas and Morientes by far my favourite Galacticos in that era.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Figo said yesterday that Raúl was the player he most liked to play with, not because he would score loads, but because everything he did was always clever and never without a purpose and he could carry a team forward on his own at a lot of matches.

RooneyLegend

As it turns out he wasn't all that. Intelligent player but lacked the technical and physical tools needed to be a real top player. His standard as a player got more and more exposed when the other greats joined Madrid.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Nearly as good as post-injury Del Piero. Also weird in terms of form, he could go years at a time not looking himself but also years looking like one of the world's best.

I wouldn't have had him at United though I don't think, maybe a bit better than Andy Cole but not physical really and I don't think he would have thrived in the Prem.

krazyrobus

Brilliant player, suffered when Madrid signed R9, was never the same after that.

Afganitia

Supports
Girona
People seem to forget he was second on the ballon d'or in 2001. He almost won, and was seen as an upset that he didn't.

Last edited:

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
Has oddly become underrated.
Not being in the Spanish squad of 2008-12 has hurt his reputation. Also he was kind of a liability in his last Madrid years, barely could run and was there on the pitch only to poach goals not unlike current Ronaldo.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
I'd like to highlight his years at Schalke 2010-2012 when he was 33-35. There he truly showcased greatness because there was no Ronaldo, Carlos or Zidane around (albeit several super talents aged around 20 that benefited from him like Neuer, Rakitic, Draxler, Höwedes, Matip, Pukki).

1. - In his debut he scored a brace against Bayern (UCL-finalists a couple of months prior)
  2. - In the semifinal of the german FA cup he scored the only goal against Bayern. Schalke won the DFB cup and later the Super cup against Jürgen Klopps league champions Dortmund. They haven't won anything since except promotion from Bundesliga 2.
  3. - Raúl led Schalke (!) to UCL semifinals. Raúl scored twice against Inter in the quarter final tie thus dumping the reigning champions out.
  4. - In his second year Raúl led Schalke to Europa League quarter finals where Athletic Bilbao proved to be too strong. The same Athletic Bilbao that the round before that had kicked out Manchester United, UCL finalist the season before.
  5. - 98 games, 40 goals and 21 assists was his record at Schalke in an era when strikers scored far less and never mind second strikers. World class for any player but especially for a 33-35 year old.
  6. - Schalke decided to retire their #7 for a while to honour Raúl who had left quite an impact despite being over the hill and questioned by everybody prior to his move.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I always thought he was the type of player Fergie would have reveled un working with.