How good was Zlatan?

Halal Jalal

I can't think of any strikers better than Zlatan except Ronaldo (Brazilian one), Henry and Suarez. One of the best #9s in history, no doubt about that. He was unlucky to play in the same era as CR7 and Messi, because those two are the best ever.

Idxomer

Not as good as he or his fans think he is. I would take basically any main striker we had in the Fergie era post Hughes at their peak over him.

Ibi Dreams

Scored 28 goals in 46 appearances for us in his first season, age 35, playing in England for the first time in his career. You've got to say that is a very good record, even though I do remember him occasionally being wasteful.

Halal Jalal

Scored 28 goals in 46 appearances for us in his first season, age 35, playing in England for the first time in his career. You've got to say that is a very good record, even though I do remember him occasionally being wasteful.
Agreed, but "very good record" is an understatement in my opinion. Everyone expected him to fail because of his age and huge ego, but he delivered in style. Zlatan, PP and Wan-Bissaka are the only smart post-SAF signings we've made, shame about Zlatan's injury because he could still be valuable rotation player and leader even now.

Korwas

IMO, he came well short at the highest level, his time at Barca. I won’t forget the game vs Arsenal in the CL where he missed several sitters and Messi was eventually kind enough to offer him a PK.
They played Arsenal two times that season, he played one game and scored two goals. None of which was a penalty.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It is until you factor in playing for a state-funded PSG for a large chunk of his career.
I'd agree with you if not for his form for us at the age of 35. After that season I feel like he would've dominated the Premier League with almost equal ease at his peak.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
In the past 10 years, which forwards would you consider as better than Zlatan?

Muller? Suarez? Lewandowski? Anyone else?
He was tier 2. I'd consider Muller, Suarez and Lewandowski the same. They were the best of the generation but there has not been any real generational talents in that position for a while, not since Messi and Ronaldo rolled all the forward positions into one.
Jaysus. Some serious overrating of Muller going on. He's nowhere near the level of Suarez who I reckon is out on his own among those from this past generation. Lewandwski and Aguero were probably in the next bracket but don't have that level of extraordinary brilliance that Suarez managed.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Better than any of our players in the last 20 years bar Ronaldo.

If we had signed him when Sir Alex was around we would probably have had at least 1 more CL title.

amolbhatia50k

Interesting, Just to push this a bit further, How would your rate between these 4?

Henry > RvN > Zlatan > RvP ?
I'd go for

Henry
RVN
Rvp
Zlatan

I do think Zlatan is phenomenal but my personal preference is that I'd take the other three ahead of him.

SaintMuppet

Him and le Tissier win the ‘what a screamer’ award at a canter.

But to be around at the same time as Ronaldo and Messi messes things up.

Mickson

I can't think of any strikers better than Zlatan except Ronaldo (Brazilian one), Henry and Suarez. One of the best #9s in history, no doubt about that. He was unlucky to play in the same era as CR7 and Messi, because those two are the best ever.
This. Unreal at times. Remember United fans arguing Berbatov was better at the time we bought Berba (whom I love).

amolbhatia50k

Better than any of our players in the last 20 years bar Ronaldo.

If we had signed him when Sir Alex was around we would probably have had at least 1 more CL title.
Don't think so. I'd take peak Scholes, Keane, RvP, Rio, Vidic, Rooney and De Gea ahead of him.

Ibra was terrific. But his peformances for PSG in France have mislead people to an extent. When he was in the bigger leagues, nobody felt he was better than the one considered the best at the time - Eto'o. I think most would have picked Rooney ahead of him given his incredible performance for us form the age of 18 to 29. Yes, ibra matured really well but one has to consider that it was the French league too.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I rate him, but this is a big claim.

Pele
Van Basten
Gerd Muller
Ferenc Puskas
Eusebio
Kalle Rummenigge
Denis Law

I'm sure I can name some more forwards who are better than Zlatan.

amolbhatia50k

Robben? :lol:

I know it's subjective but ....

The others tended to be one club players so could establish a lasting legacy and an immortality if you like. The fact that he moved around so much seems to be a factor is precluding him among the greatest of his generation
Robben was an incredible footballer. One of the best wingers of his generation just like Ibra is one of the CFs of the same one. Some in this thread are pretending Ibra is out on his own as the next best thing since Messi and Ronaldo and it's far from the truth. Ignore the persona and he's in a very large pool of brilliant footballers this past generation has seen.

Halal Jalal

I rate him, but this is a big claim.

Pele
Van Basten
Gerd Muller
Ferenc Puskas
Eusebio
Kalle Rummenigge
Denis Law

I'm sure I can name some more forwards who are better than Zlatan.
Even though I appreciate the classic players, the only pre-90s player I'd consider among the best is Maradona. You can't compare the overall level of opposition to modern standards, if you watch Pele or Puskas compilation on Youtube the defending against them is almost comical, worse than regional pub league in 2019. Ahead of their time sure, but you can't help but think they'd be average in contemporary football.

Someone like Zlatan would be considered a god back in the 70s or whatever.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
They played Arsenal two times that season, he played one game and scored two goals. None of which was a penalty.
Never mind the time he took the piss out of Arsenal as the architect behind Milan's 4-0 win in 2012.

SwedishFish

Not as good as he or his fans think he is. I would take basically any main striker we had in the Fergie era post Hughes at their peak over him.
You would take Berbatov over Zlatan?

I didn't mind Berbatov but if you think he's better at that point in time you're having a laugh.

A-man

He’s nowhere close to Messi and Ronaldo. He’s only eclipsed 30 goals once outside of Ligue 1. While Messi and Ronaldo are scoring 50+ goals for years on end, Zlatan’s bests were 35 with Milan and 28 with Inter, respectively. I’d rank the likes of RvN, RvP, Eto’o, Henry, and Suarez ahead of him.

IMO, he came well short at the highest level, his time at Barca. I won’t forget the game vs Arsenal in the CL where he missed several sitters and Messi was eventually kind enough to offer him a PK.
Ronaldo only scored 21 goals in Italian league :cool:

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
I posted this in the 'Zlatan vs Eto'o' thread a few years back

Eto'O is the much better #9. The main job of a #9 apart from scoring should be opening space for teammates behind you which Eto@O did to perfection with his off the ball movment. In his whole career, ZLatan played off actual #9s and was not the main target man, he was more of a #9.5/#10.5. At Juventus he played off Trezeguet under Capello, at Inter he played off Crespo, at AC MIlan he played off Robinho who offered the vertical movement for him. In terms of finishing, Eto'O was better, he held up the ball better and was a better finisher and far more decisive in clutch games than Zlatan has been in his whole career. Ibrahimovic has never been the best #9 in Europe at any point in his career. He has to be the main man to be effective and when he is the main man, the teams have to play through him which leads to them struggling when they faced elite teams. Inter in 2009 vs United, Barcelona vs Inter both games were Zlatan's positioning and lack off movement disrupted Barcelonas position game and he was benched by Pedro a lot in the latter part of the season, PSG in all their QF games he has been ineffective in the bulk of them because he drops deep and his off the ball movement isn't as great as the very elite strikers. Eto'o has been decisive in Classicos, Barcelona didn't start their winnign ways under Rijkaard till Eto'O joined, a years after Ronaldinho joined, he gave the team a winning mentality similar to Suarez and is a fighter. He is versatile and is able to play on the flanks as he did when Messi became the False #9 against United and Real Madrid in 2009 and he was still effective and helped the team.

He moved to Inter and was used as a RW and showed his versatility by sacrificing his ego (which is very big) and tracking back and helping the team out. The season after he was the #9 and scored 37 goals, more than Zlatan had scored in his whole career before he moved to Ligue 1. There is really no comparison. Ibrahimovic's stock seems to have risen in the UK after they played Sweden and he did that bicycle kick a few yards away from the box. Also, despite Zlatans size, he is not very good in the air and his hold up play isn't very good as many top defenders have simply bullied him because his movement never game them, trouble as he is quite static for a forward and never makes the runs that a Top #9 would make, as we saw at Barcelona, although at Barcelona he did have very good games such as the 1-0 goal against Real MAdrid and scoring 2 vs Arsenal in the QF despite missing almost 3 sitters IRRC. Then again the technical ability he has is very strange given his height. He is a 6+ player that plays like a 5'7 player, is the best way I can describe it.

One thing I will say about Eto'O is that when he needed to score he did, after that his finishing became erratic. At Barcelona he would score crucial goals more often than not but when the game was won, he would miss easy chances so he wasn't able to stat pad. Very bizarre indeed! For me there is no comparison. Eto'O for me is arguably the best #9 since R9. Zlatan is a player that looks good and needs a whole team geard towards him to be effective.
Zlatan was a very good player, but at no point in time was he ever the best striker in Europe. The ovverating of Zlatan by the British Media came when Zlatan scored that bicycle kick goal against them in a friendly. That's is what tends to happen. In key moments he falls short. In the past 10 years, Samuel Eto'o, Luis Suarez, Cristiano Ronaldo, Robin van Persie, Wayne Rooney and even a Falcao at his peak have been superior. This is considering their individual qualities within a team structure.

Fernando Torres was better than him when he had that amazing 3 year spell at Liverpool. Dider Drogba is an undoubteldy superior Centre Forward despite being less 'talented'.

I would even take players like Robert Lewandowski and David Villa, both can be a cogs in the system rather than being the whole cog. Zlatan's tactical inflexibility for me is a big mark on his career.

Barcelona won the the Champions League before he came, he was one of the main reasons they lost tot Inter Milan the following year and they won it after he left. He left Inter Milan and they won the treble the season after he left.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I posted this in the 'Zlatan vs Eto'o' thread a few years back

Zlatan was a very good player, but at no point in time was he ever the best striker in Europe. The ovverating of Zlatan by the British Media came when Zlatan scored that bicycle kick goal against them in a friendly. That's is what tends to happen. In key moments he falls short. In the past 10 years, Samuel Eto'o, Luis Suarez, Cristiano Ronaldo and even a Falcao at his peak have been superior. This is considering their individual qualities within a team structure.

I would even take a player like Robert Lewandowski, who can be a cog in the system rather than being the whole cog. Zlatan's tactical inflexibility for me is a big mark on his career.

Barcelona won the the Champions League before he came, he was one of the main reasons they lost tot Inter Milan the following year and they won it after he left. He left iInter Milan and they won the treble the season after he left.
Very good post. Agreed with almost everything.

zing

Zingle balls
Zlatan was never the key player in a great team, was he?

Also agree with someone above who said Robben is the closest thing to Messi/Ronaldo in the recent past.

Schneckerl

Ronaldo never won the cl and he was one of thr best strikers of all time.
It's not even that Zlatan didn't win the CL - he never came close and overall didn't perform well as an individual despite having opportunities each season for over a decade.

Josep Dowling

An aging Zlatan has been our best signing post Fergie. Scored plenty of goals and was a character. I think he was pretty special and it’s just a shame we didn’t get his better years.

Idxomer

You would take Berbatov over Zlatan?

I didn't mind Berbatov but if you think he's better at that point in time you're having a laugh.
No, I wouldn't. I totally forgot about him, probably the only mistake Ferguson did regarding this position.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
To not even have one CL. A career that long in Europe? Come on, hate to say it because he’s a feckin knob but even Suarez is a tier above him. He’s in the top 20 greatest forwards of the modern game though.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
A lethal, tall, strong CF with an excellent technique and power; scored many spectacular goals, but his difficulties to connect with other attackers and even midfielders (Van der Vaart, Xavi-Iniesta, etc) was too damaging.

I think his huge ego and explosive personality made him more famous than his actual quality. Post 2005, I personally rate Rooney, Eto'o, Villa and Suárez above him.

Should have stayed at Inter though, at least until 2011.

beingshe7don

Zlatan is good no doubt but more often than not, he hasn't really done it on the big stage. He's played for the biggest clubs in the world and those clubs have had really strong world class players and wasn't able to deliver a CL. He does score spectacular goals but he needs good service to be consistent throughout the season. I would want Henry, Van Nistelrooy and Suarez in my time in terms of consistency eventhough man for man, Zlatan may be more talented and skilled.

Sir Red Devil

Defiantly one of the best from his generation but I would take prime RVP over prime Ibra.

K13

Even though I appreciate the classic players, the only pre-90s player I'd consider among the best is Maradona. You can't compare the overall level of opposition to modern standards, if you watch Pele or Puskas compilation on Youtube the defending against them is almost comical, worse than regional pub league in 2019. Ahead of their time sure, but you can't help but think they'd be average in contemporary football.

Someone like Zlatan would be considered a god back in the 70s or whatever.
Pele and the likes would most certainty not be 'average' in modern football. They would benefit from the better pitches, nutrition, sports science and training just as every modern player has. That is without taking into account the kit. The heavy boots and the very heavy football which they had to control and play with.

You can only play in your era and all the players mentioned were absolute quality with Pele still considered one of the best ever. Rightly so.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Zlatan is a little overrated, I mean the second half of his career definitely is.

I'm talking about Zlatan the footballer not just the talent and what he can do with the ball. The things Zlatan could do, footballers better than him could never even dream of doing but he lacked in some areas for me.

In the last part of his career he hasn't been that clinical either. Yes he scores goals that make you think how thats even possible but also misses as much.

Some may have an issue with this but I think Aguero is a far superior striker.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Zlatan was amazing but his lack of CL success hurts his reputation IMO. For a career as long as his, to not have 1 CL win is a bit damning.

He was a monster in domestic leagues but a bit underwhelming in the CL. What's even his defining CL performance? Lewa has that game against Real in 2013 for example.
It's not. It's a cup competition

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
A lethal, tall, strong CF with an excellent technique and power; scored many spectacular goals, but his difficulties to connect with other attackers and even midfielders (Van der Vaart, Xavi-Iniesta, etc) was too damaging.

I think his huge ego and explosive personality made him more famous than his actual quality. Post 2005, I personally rate Rooney, Eto'o, Villa and Suárez above him.

Should have stayed at Inter though, at least until 2011
I agree with all of this. I know it may not be popular to rate Eto'o or Rooney higher but these guys did it consistently on a bigger stage. I don't think anyone could question Suarez being better

Varun

Staff
Have him slightly behind the likes of RVP, Suarez, Rooney etc who I consider Tier 2.