How great was Rivaldo?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Rivaldo the Rebel...

Deceptively quick, often using sideways step-overs and feints, and with the ability to drill low, powerful shots from seemingly any distance, Rivaldo was deployed by Van Gaal on the left of midfield in the Dutchman’s Ajax model. However, rather than following Van Gaal’s strict instructions of hugging the touchline, Rivaldo would drift inside, often to devastating effect on slaloming runs or to unleash swerving, bending shots from all angles. All with that unique long-legged gait and magical left foot.
The most unstoppable footballer since Maradona?

A common, if slightly cringeworthy, observation of pundits in this country is that, if you could marry British will with continental skill, you would have the perfect footballer. Such a mixed recipe was thrillingly in evidence in Diego Maradona. Since then, however, perhaps only Rivaldo has fused the two qualities. Yet when we discuss soccer's AM (After Maradona) greats, Zinedine Zidane invariably comes out on top, with Rivaldo well back among the pack. While it would be dubious to argue that Rivaldo was a better technician than Zidane, it is arguable that, if you took everyone playing at the absolute peak of their game, Rivaldo was the best and most unstoppable footballer since Maradona.

Yet despite his bona fide, bandy-legged genius, he is to some extent forgotten, still ploughing on with the Greek travesty that is the lingering death of a genuinely great career at clubs as irrelevant to the bigger picture as Olympiakos and AEK Athens. It is potentially anomalous to argue that a former World Player of the Year was underrated, yet even at his peak Rivaldo often played under a cloud. He was frequently abused while playing for Brazil, whose fans believed he spared his best for Barcelona and who had never forgiven him for a crucial mistake in the 1996 Olympics; at club level he inspired both awe and loathing on La Rambla, and his departure on a free transfer in 2002 was mourned by few, even though he had just starred in Brazil's World Cup win.

Apart from a right foot, Rivaldo had everything. His wiry strength allowed him to bounce off defenders, he was a outstanding dribbler, and he had a left foot that was both educated and thuggish, subtle and a sledgehammer. He could larrup the ball in, arrow a daisy-cutter a few centimetres inside the far post (the winner against Denmark in the 1998 World Cup quarter-final is the best example, but there were so many), coax a free-kick high or low, left or right, and also pass the ball in (my colleague Mike Adamson pointed out how underrated the precision of his finish against England in 2002 remains). And his control – best exemplified by a stunning, über-Le Tissier assist against Deportivo in 2002 (after 5.00 of this video) – was sensational.

Most of all, however, he had bronca, the word used repeatedly in Diego Maradona's autobiography to refer to "anger, fury, hatred, resentment, bitter discontent ... [it was] his motivator, his fuel, his driving force". Zidane had rage blackouts, but he was rarely in a high state of bronca: for the most part, as we saw in his movie, he was a wonderfully still footballer, whose game existed in a vacuum of technical perfection, such as the volley in the 2002 Champions League final. But he could not win a game on his own by imposing his personality all over it. Rivaldo could.

Rivaldo often looked apathetic and sullen – his smile was so rare that, when it came, it broke a thousand mirrors, and at times he seemed to dither like a posh boy pretending to have commitment issues – but when the mood took him and he fancied the challenge, he pursued it with the remorseless will and purpose of Javier Bardem in No Country For Old Men.

Rob Smyth - Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/jun/19/barcelona.brazil

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
International has to be included too! In particular I am interested to see how people rate him compared to a Ronaldinho who had a very short peak.
HE WAS VERY GOOD AT A NATIONAL LEVEL

Unfortunately one of the most prominent memories of him was rolling around like a fanny holding his head when the ball went no where near his head.

RUCK4444

Hugely underrated, incredible player.

Peak Rivaldo would be in the top three players in the world right now and above Neymar comfortably imo.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Was he and Zidane recognised as the two great 10s in World football, then Zidane scores the right few goals at the right time and changed the way their respective careers were written about I think.

For me, there is absolutely no chance that on a week to week basis, Zidane was better at club level than he was at Barcelona. I think he was the better player.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Was he and Zidane recognised as the two great 10s in World football, then Zidane scores the right few goals at the right time and changed the way their respective careers were written about I think.

For me, there is absolutely no chance that on a week to week basis, Zidane was better at club level than he was at Barcelona. I think he was the better player.
Same. He literally carried Barca for a few seasons.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If SAF had it his way he would've brought in Rivaldo after the treble season.

Champagne Football

He was insane. Himself and Zidane have been slightly forgotten due to the never seen before dominance of Messi and Ronaldo year after year. But Rivaldo used to be mentioned as the GOAT a lot before Lional and Cristiano arrived on the scene.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Amazing player.

Similar to Romario gets a bit underrated with the preference of many going to Ronaldinho and Ronaldo respectively.

That incident in the World Cup did him a lot of harm and he didn't have the massive moments in major tournaments that the likes of Zidane had. One of the greatest hat tricks of all time though. That third goal :drool:.

Baneofthegame

Outstanding player, his personality and the World Cup incident clouded his legacy, plus he faded into obscurity after Barcelona essentially.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Outstanding player, his personality and the World Cup incident clouded his legacy, plus he faded into obscurity after Barcelona essentially.
He still performed great at the national level though.

He was brilliant and one of the best Brazilians of the last few decades. No comparison to Ronaldinho though, who on talent alone is in the conversation for the best player ever.

As for Zidane, when they were both still playing, I dont think anybody thought the Frenchman was the better of the two. Funny how time changes things.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Yes Rivaldo was excellent for Brazil. The incident against Turkey in 2002 shouldn't overshadow the fact that he scored 5 goals and shone at the tournament with man of the match performances against Belgium and England. Plus he their best player as they won the 1999 Copa America, including goals in their quarter-final win over Argentina, semi-final win over Mexico, and final win over Uruguay (two).

Apparently the Brazilian media made him the scapegoat after Brazil were 'only' able to win the bronze medal at the 1996 Olympics (we know how important their historical quest to win the gold medal was), with him failing to score at the tournament and the team losing a 3-1 lead in the semis against Nigeria. I think he miss numerous chances in that match and was at fault for one of Nigeria's goals.

He bounced back with an outstanding season at Depor in 1996/1997, scoring plenty of goals, providing plenty of assists and playing with a lot of freedom as they finished 3rd, before his transfer to Barca.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Slightly better than peak Henry, not quite as good as peak Ronaldinho.

Baneofthegame

He still performed great at the national level though.
I’m not sure I was saying he didn’t? Just his career went into obscurity club level wise after he left Barcelona.

Although he did win the champions league and played in 13 of the 17 matches, didn’t play in the final though.

He left the national side after 03 and his contribution was huge in the WC win in 02 and the Copa America in 99.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Thought he was a bit better than Zidane for a time. Certainly felt more of a threat on the pitch, such a dangerous player. He’d probably score and assist a ton of goals in today’s game.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I’m not sure I was saying he didn’t? Just his career went into obscurity club level wise after he left Barcelona.
Just making a cheap joke on your expense, sorry. You've managed to somehow make a comment that looked a lot like an old caf meme (that's already been mentioned in half of the posts in the thread).

Demyanenko_square_jaw

He's one of those great players where just the one more great performance could have made a massive difference to how he's rated. That being the 98 final where he had the chance to step up and become the hero of Brazil in the wake of whatever happened to Ronaldo. Instead he went into a shell like most of the rest of the team.

I don't really compare him to Zidane much, imo they were very different players and it's a lot like the Giggs vs Bale comparison in terms of strengths/weaknesses. Zidane much more of a midfielder and playmaker/orchestrator of the team, where Rivaldo was very much a player that liked to finish things himself if given a half chance. Very direct, great offensive skills and while a complete player with good vision that could certainly pick a clever pass out more than a Bale, he was never a consistent playmaker in mindset or someone that i saw dictate the tempo of games much. His strength was more as a pure offensive force that could decide the game himself from anywhere near the box regularly.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
He's one of those great players where just the one more great performance could have made a massive difference to how he's rated. That being the 98 final where he had the chance to step up and become the hero of Brazil in the wake of whatever happened to Ronaldo. Instead he went into a shell like most of the rest of the team.

I don't really compare him to Zidane much, imo they were very different players and it's a lot like the Giggs vs Bale comparison in terms of strengths/weaknesses. Zidane much more of a midfielder and playmaker/orchestrator of the team, where Rivaldo was very much a player that liked to finish things himself if given a half chance. Very direct, great offensive skills and while a complete player with good vision that could certainly pick a pass out, he was never a consistent playmaker in mindset or someone that i saw dictate the tempo of games much. His strength was more as a pure offensive force that could decide the game himself from anywhere near the box regularly.
Yeah that’s how I remember him. He scared the shite out of me every time he got the ball against us in the two 1998 games, would’ve been at his peak around then. Not many other players have given me such heebie-jeebies over the years.

Tarrou

there were a couple of seasons when I thought he was the best player in the world, probably around 97/98ish before it became clearer it was Zidane

El Jefe

He was incredible and one of the greats. The only reason he isn't looked at as greater is because of Ronaldinho and Messi's greater success that followed him at Barca.

One of the greatest individual performances I've seen is him against us in the CL in the treble season at the Nou Camp. We were all over Barcelona and they couldn't handle us but Rivaldo was a one man army in the second half and equalised twice for Barca to make it 3-3. They almost ended up winning due to a wonder strike that hit the bar from him and a nailed on assist if not for Big Pete.

In fact that's still one of my favourite games despite the draw.