How great was Rivaldo?

GueRed

"There is no doubt we would have loved to have had the brazilian here but the problem was that Barcelona didnt want to sell him,
and even if they did what would the transfer fee have been? They paid £18m for him so they are going to want £20m plus,
and on top of that Rivaldo's personal terms are at least three times above what we pay our top player at the moment."

- Chairman Martin Edwards speaking to Manchester United Magazine November 1999

Last edited:

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
One of the greatest
Best player in 2002 world cup and as entertaining as ronaldinho in 2002

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
One of the greatest
Best player in 2002 world cup and as entertaining as ronaldinho in 2002
He was a great player but not up there with the greatest of all time for club or country in my opinion.

The most well known Brazilians better than him were Pele, Ronaldo, Garrincha, Romario, Ronaldinho. Then there are other lesser known players (unless you do your research or know your national football history) that were better such as Jairzinho, Rivellino, Alberto, Tostao, Santos, Didi and Zico.

Maybe I am under-rating him or over-rating others due to bias, firstly due to the belief that Beckham should have won the Ballon D'or in 99 ahead of him and second due to his awful cheating theatrics in WC 2002. But I do believe he isn't in the top 10 greatest of all time for Brazil.

Last edited:

MTF

I think he ended up both underrated and overlooked rather quickly after the peak of his career was gone, but at the time he was at his best he did have spells as the best player in the world. Probably the most key contributor to Brazil making 2 WC finals in a row, above even R9 who I think was a more unique player, but Rivaldo was more effective in those tournaments.

That said, I looked into why he might not have that much of a media profile and I figured + remembered a few things. He didn't like speaking to the media and still doesn't very much, but that does not mean that he was a quiet and easygoing type within a dressing room. Rivaldo got on well with most of his Brazil teammates but he could be hard to deal with from a coaching perspective.

He was a bit preoccupied with his own image and did have an ego. He threatened to leave the Brazil camp twice, once at the Copa America 99 when the manager played a practical joke on him by saying he wouldn't be starting the first match, and again similarly at the 2002 World Cup when he was recovering from injury and in the weeks ahead of the tournament in friendlies he still hadn't been started in any of the matches. These stories I got from an interview with Rivaldo himself about a year ago with ESPN Brasil. I also remember stores about him complaining that other players were feeding the striker more than him, and that therefore the striker (I think it was Romario in that instance) was getting all the goals and all the plaudits. So not the easiest guy to deal with.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Was on par with Zidane for my money during those four years spanning WC 1998 and 2002. One is a bona fide household name, the other mostly forgotten. Hardly a unique case I guess, though no less sad...

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I said it in another thread recently but the face clutching against Turkey has come to totally overshadow just how brilliant he was, which wasn't helped by the fact that he declined more or less immediately after the World Cup ended. If he doesn't do that, the defining image he'd be remembered by would be that goal against Valencia instead.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Why do people still care so much about the Turkey incident? It was a group stage match and both sides made it through to the knockouts regardless.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Talent and effectiveness, he was top 3. Just as effective as R9 and Zizu. Arguably one of the best left foot's at all times.