How have we strengthened one area of the team whilst simultaneously weakening midfield and attack?

Lee565

Pogba, De Gea, Maguire and Shaw all have the right quality and experience. We are not competing for the title this season that was never happening but I am certain that we will see major improvements from players like Rashford, Martial, McTominay, Greenwood and Gomes and that will be enough for a comfortable top 4 finish.
Pogba, the guy that doesn't want to be here and doesn't exactly muck in when the going gets tough, shaw is not a leader and neither is de gea who keeps wanting to leave the club and as I said the class of 92 had real quality around them to help blood them in rather than being thrown in because of how average the current team is.

SCJY

Ed has played this brilliantly and deserves millions in bonuses for this window alone. All those briefings about only going for players that want to play for the badge (while keeping Pogba and De Gea, cough, cough) and giving youth a chance like the United way have worked a charm. Now Glazers tightening the purses is being applauded. Well done Ed.
In fairness, existing players under contract who have grown disillusioned with the club is different to signing new players who want to play for the badge.

Fernandes we are now told we were never interested in.
It's pure insanity that United came out and said this. They should state something closer to the truth which is that the price is too high, rather than burning bridges. If Bruno was available for 30-40m, would United be interested? Of course...

Fletchageddon

Maybe the people who train the young ones day in and day out for years think they are ready? Maybe Ole has consulted the senior players and asked if they think they are ready also?

We don’t need to sign anyone. We’re not winning the league or the Europa but we could build the foundations of a title winning squad this year.

Gomes,Tuanzebe and Greenwood are very, very exciting. A year of exposure to the league will be brilliant for them.

pacifictheme

We are putting faith in the youngsters but as we all know "You can't win anything with kids".
I mean hanson looks like a fool but they stepped into a team that should have won the double the season beforw. Lets noy pretend our "senior"players are even close to what we had back then. Leaders everywhere. Those kids came into an alrwady amazing side. These will come into a fairly average team.

Treble

The OP makes a good point. The youngsters must live up to the expectations of being very special. Bold decision. Or seriously incompetent.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Offering solution to previous problem, while creating new one. I saw this somewhere before...

Fletchageddon

I mean hanson looks like a fool but they stepped into a team that should have won the double the season beforw. Lets noy pretend our "senior"players are even close to what we had back then. Leaders everywhere. Those kids came into an alrwady amazing side. These will come into a fairly average team.

Lightning doesn’t strike twice. It’s amazingly unfair to even compare. The best we can ask for is good football and for them to honour the badge and themselves.

Chelsea are in a similar position to us, Arsenal aren’t too hot, Spurs squad will be knackered after not refreshing the squad last year. City and Liverpool are in a different league. So top 4 should be our expectation. However it does feel a bit changing of the guard with Wolves and Everton coming up.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I dont understand how anyone expected a window with 6 or 7 incoming players.

People genuinely seem hurt and shocked that we've brought in 3.

Bearing in mind every club on earth is looking to take us to the cleaners, the 'full job' was never happening in one go.

I'm surprised that so many are surprised by the spend and the numbers that have come in. I also genuinely believe our outgoing are irrespective of Lukaku. He fell out of favour instantly and we were no worse without him, his departure was the only likelihood of the window.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Also, they all had quite a lot of first team experience before that... Scholes and Nev for example both appeared 25+ times for United the season prior to that "breakthrough" year.

MrSingh2002

Ole wasn't strong enough to outweigh Eds incompetence.

I'd love to know how we establish our transfer targets year round. What a joke.

Stacks

We are definitely two players short of where we need to be. I don't think anyone can deny that. That said, I also believe that Greenwood and Gomes can make significant contributions this season. If we could only sign one player, it would have to be a high quality attack minded midfielder. That would have a multiplying effect on the rest of the team.
Why can we expect this from 2 players who have 2 1st team apps in their careers. Not even loan exp. We should not be going into the season hoping academy players can magically step up when they have no games under their belt.
Devils advocate: how have we spent 5 seasons focusing on offensive signings and have not been able to crack the 70 goal barrier for the PL season? Throughout all the fluctuations in our attacking/midfield signings we have had one constant problem: stopping goals.

The season in which we stopped goals most efficiently we also finished 2nd.

It’s a no brainer. A cohesive well functioning team with a rock solid defence will always win games. With or without a Ronaldo upfront.

Truth is we’re now going to get more out of our current attacking players more than ever before
We spent 5 season with 2 defensive managers and one who wanted to pass teams to death.
RE: our defence we conceded 28 when we finished 2nd. This relied on De Gea saving 80% of shots faced and so we conceded 25 less than last season. I don't expect De Gea to have this level again as it's unsustainable. We have signed 2 very good defenders but not yet great ones. I feel they may reduce our goals by 13 so 40 conceded is reasonable. You might think this is harsh but let's look at it. Shaw is average. Lindelof has gone from poor to good. Maguire is very good as is Wan Bissaka. If we want a miserly defence we need some GREAT/EXCELLENT/OUTSTANDING defenders in there like Van Dijk AND have great protection in the likes of Fabinho Hendo and Wijnaldum who cover for the FB. We still don't have a rock solid defence so I feel 38/40 goals conceded is realistic. In attack we have sold our top scorer of the last 2 years. Pogba and McSauce are our defensive protection..........unless you want to count Fred and Matic who help the oppo score goals

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Rashford scored 2 less in about as many games as Lukaku, yet we are selling Lukaku with no replacement?

We were 30 goals less than City last season, I have no confidence Rashford or anyone else in the team can make up the 12 goals Lukaku scored last season let alone come close to narrowing the gap between us and City.

We may hopefully have a rock-solid defence but our attack is woeful. I expect a season of bore draws.

Stacks

The general consensus seems that academy players who have two 1st team apps have to step up and our main attackers who have flattered to deceive will step up. This is lunacy. Like going into the season with Origi, Batsuayi, Maitland Nyles and that Arsenal youth striker they bang on about, as our hopes for next season to compete with established players from other teams.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Don’t agree we’ve weakened the midfield and attack.

Attack is no worse off, I actually think it will be better without Lukaku and Greenwood in his place but time will tell. Will give us much more fluidity and ability to interchange our forwards.

As for midfield, tentatively agree not replacing Herrera isn’t ideal but it’s not the end of the world when we have McT who looks the part and Gomes who can give us something further forward. Herrera was very limited, nice guy and seemed passionate about the club but very limited in his ability.

We also should be getting more out of Fred, he looked the business before signing for us so I’m confident there’s a player in there.

I for one am excited about the new season, some exciting youngsters and we should see Ole get the extra 10% from our underperforming team!

Abhinav

The general consensus seems that academy players who have two 1st team apps have to step up and our main attackers who have flattered to deceive will step up. This is lunacy. Like going into the season with Origi, Batsuayi, Maitland Nyles and that Arsenal youth striker they bang on about, as our hopes for next season to compete with established players from other teams.
Completely agree. I feel a lot of posters here are underestimating how badly messed up we are in attack. For us to do well, we not only have to rely on both Martial and Rashford to stay injury free and perform better than last year, but also hope that James/Greenwood/Gomes can come up with 15-20 goals between them. To say it is overly optimistic for all of these things to happen is an understatement.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Rashford/Martial/Greenwood
James/Sanchez - Lingard/Mata - BFG(Big Fecking Gap)
Pogba/Fred/Pereira - McT/Matic
Shaw - Maguire/Jones - Lindelof/Smalling - AWB/Young
DDG/Romero

RW still neglected. AM looks horrible. Defensive midfielder non-existent, apart from a much declined Matic.
Defence looks pretty good, and probably our strongest positions, as long as AWB stays fit of course.
We rely on a very young attack, which i can live with, but i don't have confidence in them to challenge top 4 as it stands, they still have a lot to prove.

I think it will be a long season if expectations are that we challenge for the title. I will lower mine, and simply focus on enjoying our young talents growing and improving.
Solskjaer is probably a great manager for the young lads to flourish, so that's something im looking forward to.​

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We're leaving a bit too much to faith.

That Martial and Rashford will be enough as main strikers, even though Martial has rarely been used there for a year or so. Sanchez and Greenwood may be able to support - but the former has shown little to suggest he can, and it's asking a heck of a lot of a 17 year old to chip too much in.

We're clearly hoping Fred, Perreria or McTom are going to step up in a big way.

Who knows - it may work!

Charlie Foley

Hopefully they've seen enough over the summer that they're trusting the kids, and hopefully they're right to do so. I would have liked Dybala or a centre mid, but (in the case of Dybala) not another wantaway big name player.

Let's hope the stronger defensive structure gives our attacking players more of a license to go forward, and put less pressure on our young forwards (Rashford can be particularly 'snatchy' at times')

ManRed

If the noise out of the club was that we want to build on our youth then the fans wouldn't have been this upset. But time and again the club have spoken of having a mega budget / underperforming players will be sold but nothing has happened. We are currently in no man's land again not knowing what direction the club wants to move. Praying and hoping that the underperforming players come good.

Insanity : Doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results.

Jev

If we don't get that marquee signing that we've clearly been chasing with the Dybala/Eriksen interest, then I really struggle to see the logic behind our transfer strategy, including selling Lukaku who I think has been a decent striker for us.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
This is going to fall apart very quickly. Then we’ll have the articles about how it’s all going to change. It won’t. Rinse and repeat.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Remember that season we were basically heading in with a well beyond best Rooney as the main striker and we were all more than a bit worried?

We bought Martial quite late on.
Fingers crossed for something similar!

edgar allan

Hopefully they've seen enough over the summer that they're trusting the kids, and hopefully they're right to do so. I would have liked Dybala or a centre mid, but (in the case of Dybala) not another wantaway big name player.

Let's hope the stronger defensive structure gives our attacking players more of a license to go forward, and put less pressure on our young forwards (Rashford can be particularly 'snatchy' at times')
You need a strong midfield to give the attacking players the license, I just don't see the cover in that midfield unless McTominay suddenly develops into a top class midfielder.

Charlie Foley

You need a strong midfield to give the attacking players the license, I just don't see the cover in that midfield unless McTominay suddenly develops into a top class midfielder.
Well, our defence should give Pogba more license than he had for much of last year

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Probably. I was realistic this summer and said if we get two starters for our first XI I'd be happy. We've done that but I didn't forsee us selling our most reliable goalscorer and our second best midfielder without replacing them.

Big pressure on Rashford, Martial and McTominay to step up. Maybe it will work but unlikely. I think more likely we'll see a lack of goals and an improved defence on paper exposed by a weak midfield.

Dominos

I could somewhat forgive just replacing Lukaku with a stop gap in the form of Manzukic for example, with the idea of letting Rashford/Martial take the reigns, with an experienced goal scorer to fall back on if we find ourselves needing an extra option.

Not replacing Herrera and Fellaini is just unforgiveable though. Our midfield was weak before, to lose 2 players and not bring in a single replacement is absurd.

This could have been a really strong summer if we'd have just addressed CM and had the foresight to sort a Lukaku replacement in a timely manner. It would be a miracle if we manage to address both issues by 5pm tomorrow.

M4nu4Life

The midfield was the area of greatest concern for me.

We have Pogba, Matic who has slowed down, McTominay , and then Mata or Lingard to play as number 10.

Our midfield would be the slowest in the Premier League.

RedDevilRoshi

Take nothing away, I am very happy that we have strengthened our defence with the acquisitions of AWB & Maguire. Two positions that have been a major problem for a very long time. We now have a good backline and one that I’m confident we won’t concede as many goals as we did last season.
De Gea​

Wan-Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Shaw

However I’ve said it on numerous other threads that I just find it criminal how we have not added a midfielder in this window. We rely so much on Pogba as we don’t have anyone in the team that is as creative as him. If he was to pick up an injury or lose form then we are virtually f*****! We’ve got no other creative midfielder in the team.

edgar allan

Well, our defence should give Pogba more license than he had for much of last year
We will wait and see, the midfield are weaker and may get outrun and outplayed.
Pogba could spend more of his time on the back foot, especially if Matic is playing.

Kag

We’ve sold (or lost) Herrera and Lukaku and refused to replace them. That is unequivocally ridiculous. Even if you didn’t particularly rate them, or acknowledge that they’re good players, they’ve still been swept up by PSG and Inter.

Ridiculous, really.

Bwuk

Our back 5 looks decent.

Struggle to see how we will score enough goals, and if Pogba is rested or injured, we don’t have anyone who can pass a ball from deep.

Very worried about this season. Think we are in for a bit of a rude awakening.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We’ve sold (or lost) Herrera and Lukaku and refused to replace them. That is unequivocally ridiculous. Even if you didn’t particularly rate them, or acknowledge that they’re good players, they’ve still been swept up by PSG and Inter.

Ridiculous, really.
Fellaini too.

Not exactly swept up by a big club but still a senior pro that needed replacing.

Skills

Snitch
This is what happens when you indulge managers like Mourinho. It's why those who were laughing off concerns about Sanchez & Matic's ages/stages of their career look like idiots now.

Had we instead the money we did on those two, on younger alternatives in attack & midfield our situation doesn't look as dire. But we have two OAPs eating up a huge chunk of our wage bill & our then transfer fees.

Charlie Foley

We will wait and see, the midfield are weaker and may get outrun and outplayed.
Pogba could spend more of his time on the back foot, especially if Matic is playing.
Aye that’s true. I wasn’t too happy with Herrera leaving. As I said, I would have liked a centre mid!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This is what happens when you indulge managers like Mourinho. It's why those who were laughing off concerns about Sanchez & Matic's ages/stages of their career look like idiots now.

Had we instead the money we did on those two, on younger alternatives in attack & midfield our situation doesn't look as dire. But we have two OAPs eating up a huge chunk of our wage bill & our then transfer fees.
Younger players like, say, Lukaku or Bailly? Yeah, that would make our situation look much less dire.

Someone

Something
It's really weird, specially with the whole Lukaku situation. We knew he wanted out since day one, and the dybala swap saga suggests that we're willing to reinvest the money from Lukaku's sale. Dybala was just an unplanned opportunity that came out of nowhere, and I'm fine with not caving in to his demands, but I can't comprehend how we never had anyone else lined up. Now it seems that we're agreeing a deal with inter, and looking at the likes of mandzukic as a last ditch replacement.

The midfield situation is also strange, we've lost Herrera, and felliani before him, and haven't made any attempts at finding a replacement. It's clear to everyone that matic is done, so our midfield is clearly weaker.

It's not all doom and gloom, but for this to be a good season, the young players need to really step up big time, and it's a lot to ask.

Really don't think we properly planned for this summer, regardless to finances.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Martial, Rashford, Sanchez, Greenwood, James, Jesse, Gomes, Chong.......I'm not worried about the attack. We have enough there if given the right service.

I'm seriously worried about the midfield. It's probably the 10th best in the league. It's tragic. If we don't sign at least one midfielder we are in for another crap season.

diarm

It's too late now but if we had been serious about this window in the last couple of weeks instead of pissing about with moves that were never going to happen, we could have:
  • Offered Newcastle Jones and Rojo plus £30m for Longstaff.
  • Offered Juve Darmian plus £15m for Matuidi. Bought Mandzukic for £7m.
  • Sold Lukaku to Inter for £70m but only if they agreed to take Sanchez with him. Maybe offeref to pay 50% of Sanchez wages til the end of the year.
We'd still be stuck with Bailly, Matic, Young, Smalling, Mata and Lingard for another 12 months, and we still wouldn't have a right winger but our squad would've looked a hundred times better.