How have we strengthened one area of the team whilst simultaneously weakening midfield and attack?

Bestietom

Mandzukic is NOT an upgrade on Lukaku. We are getting more like a Championship side with Woodward and Judge conducting these transfers and monies.

Stacks

Look how thin the squad is.

Based on Pre-Season, that is our current best line up.

Alexis will come in to cover for the no.10 role or main striker so that will give another player to cover for either left or AM.

But all things considered, yes our squad is thinner than ever before. :nervous:
That team is seriously mediocre. Deadwood FC are our 2nd choice options for most positions

Grande

Defence looks good.

Midfield/attack - Out: Fellaini, Herrera, Lukaku
In: James, possibly Mandzukic?

That is almost like tripping up the manager from Woodward and the Glazers. Especially when the two previous windows have seen only Fred coming in.

With an average net spend of £45m over the last two years, it’s reasonable to ask how the hell the owners expect the club to improve on the 6th place finishes we’ve grown accustomed to.

JoaquinJoaquin

Wonder if the happy clappers may change their attitude come Sunday?

(Who am I kidding? Of course they wont).

NinjaFletch

Look how thin the squad is.

Based on Pre-Season, that is our current best line up.

Alexis will come in to cover for the no.10 role or main striker so that will give another player to cover for either left or AM.

But all things considered, yes our squad is thinner than ever before. :nervous:
It's hilarious shit, isn't it?

Maguire or AWB will get a long term injury at the start of the season too, you can pretty much guarantee it.

edgar allan

Aye that’s true. I wasn’t too happy with Herrera leaving. As I said, I would have liked a centre mid!
I knew the club was in shite with the Glaziers but this summer has proved that they are just interested in bleeding the club dry.

edgar allan

Martial, Rashford, Sanchez, Greenwood, James, Jesse, Gomes, Chong.......I'm not worried about the attack. We have enough there if given the right service.

I'm seriously worried about the midfield. It's probably the 10th best in the league. It's tragic. If we don't sign at least one midfielder we are in for another crap season.
Seriously ? The two recognised forwards had long periods last year when they were poor.
I dont think Jessie's two goals a season are going to be a big help either.
So or goal scoring will be left to a few kids with little PL experience?

Nikelesh Reddy

As the curtain closes on the summer window, it's time to draw some conclusions on our business.

Perhaps, there's an ace up the proverbial sleeve and we manage to pull a midfielder and a forward out the hat, but the reality of how we've done business in the usual calamitous fashion Woodward is renowned for, makes it about as likely as us announcing Ronaldo's coming back.

So, as the title says: how is it that we manage to get ourselves an undoubtedly stronger defensive unit whilst having a weaker midfield, reliant on one player not: getting injured, leaving, stropping or facing what, it's not dramatic to say, total collapse?

Further, Lukaku wants out, and we've known that since, what, June? And we've done nothing? We can talk about shuffling the pack about: putting Martial upfront or giving Gomes and Greenwood their chance, but at the same time, it's hardly fair to put that burden on a pair of kids and we're left a so-called star player short.

How is it that a multi-billion pound organisation is run in a way that leaves more questions than answers with the, you know, squad every single season? How many other clubs in the league manage to be weaker at the end of a summer window than they were at the start of it?
When you keep chopping and changing managers frequently without having a DOF or a clear transfer strategy....When you keep appointing diametrically opposite managers every 2-3 seasons...when you keep swinging from one extreme to the other,this is what you end up with.,...a team that’s always,perennially in “transition” mode....

doriandun

That team is seriously mediocre. Deadwood FC are our 2nd choice options for most positions
Pogba has no interest playing in a two, so you would have to revise the line up. playing there for France for 8 to 10 matches, is different from playing there all season.

Come the Euro's next year Pogba will find himself on the bench, as, if Sissoko and Ndombele, form a good relationship, then they could easily play as a two for France or even a three with Kante, or either of them alongside Kante.

Ideally if Fred can get up to speed with the Premier league then the base should be him alongside Mc T, with Matic, coming on to see out games or cup competitions, note that Matic has a year left on his contract.

If Ole's idea is to press from the front, then playing Pogba in the Linguard role in your picture, will not be as effective, but with legs across the pitch, out wide, in the middle of the park and full back positions, should compensate for Pogba's slighly reduced pressing responsibilty.

In truth we should ogf gone for Dacoure or Ndidi to play alongside Mc T, both with premier league experience, legs to get around the pitch, and thus giving Fred more time to bed in if needed.

Currently our season rest on Mc T not getting injured, as we will loose that energy we have in the middle of the park, and Ole has yet to show the metal to make the required changes to formation or tactics based on personel.

We can't really play 433, with Pogba as the third midfielder in the middle of the park, 4231 is ok, as long as we have energy at the base.

I think 352 with Martial and Rashford up top would possibly work. The three at the back with Linderof, Smalling and Harry, would give us solidity, allow the team to mask Matic's weakness or mobility, at the same time provide width from the full backs, remember that Dalot can cover both flanks and allow the team to be compact and at the same time effective.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Our main issue was being inept in the final third. We've not done much to resolve that. James may help, and WanB may contribute, but we'll still struggle to score again, sooner or later.

We certainly needed a CB, but I'm not convinced it's going to help us much as things stand.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Players like Daniel James is how you get the best out of Lukaku but He'll be gone. It's a bizzare situation. We should at least bring someone to replace him. Our squad is getting thinner. Imagine if Pogba or McTomminay is unavailable... We shouldn't get rid of anyone without bringing a replacement in.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Weird how our squad seemed so bloated last season yet we're going into the new season with it looking paper thin. Still, at least we have six/seven center backs and great squad options like Mata and Lingard, right?

I'd love for my pessimism about this season to be proven totally wrong but as of now it looks like it'll be an awful struggle to have any sort of decent showing.

Ole's tenure looks doomed before it's even properly started.