Television How I Met Your Mother

Oggmonster

:lol: the Joey spin off, I forgot about that.

But yeah you're right, they put themselves in a corner with the whole framing of the show.

Simpsons definitely dropped off in a big way but didn't it have a bit of a revival for a while?

I've seen plenty of Happy Days but don't remember it from the first runs and not well enough to remember it falling off but obviously yea it did very literally jump the shark, giving us the phrase.

Has there been a comedy series that has gone out on its own terms rather than tailing off into poor ratings first? They even managed to ruin Scrubs.
Yeah Simpsons got alright again a while ago, I've only seen a few since it first turned bad though so not sure how good it got. It's impossible to reach that peak they had though, which shouldn't really be an insult to the show but just how it will always be compared. In my opinion it's still the best comedy ever at it's peak.

The Scrubs one is probably the worst of the lot I thought! Really ruined it. I think the creators of the show even try to separate the two of them as completely different things. The ending of the "original" lot was really good to.

In terms of ratings I think Friends stayed pretty consistent, I'm not sure if it ended on it's own terms though. I always got the impression it kind of did but most the time it was left quite open ended in the sense where anything could happen so they could keep the show going.

Cina

Oh yeah, that's right. Why was it cancelled though? Wasn't it still getting good ratings?
No, it never had good ratings. Americans prefer to watch shitty, braindead shows like Two and a Half Men.

Sylar

The origin of the pineapple that was next to sleeping Drunk ted has been revealed in a deleted scene, lol

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He was always going to end up with Robin, I still can't get why are people surprised. It's shit ending, but something similar was always going to happen.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Just watching this now after a long time. Is it just me or is Lily is one of the worst characters on TV ever? She's meant to be likeable but to me she's the most immature selfish hypocritical person on the whole show, not to mention her self absorbed and self righteous attitude. One of the reasons why Marshall/Lily will never quite match Chandler/Monica or even Rachel/Rosd is because of Lily.

Señor

Is she meant to be likeable? I never liked her either.
Not sure but out of all my friends, I'm the only one who has an intense dislike for her. One of them even has Lily pegged as her favourite character.

gormless

Just watching this now after a long time. Is it just me or is Lily is one of the worst characters on TV ever? She's meant to be likeable but to me she's the most immature selfish hypocritical person on the whole show, not to mention her self absorbed and self righteous attitude. One of the reasons why Marshall/Lily will never quite match Chandler/Monica or even Rachel/Rosd is because of Lily.
Definitely, the episode in the final series where Marshall had a go at her for leaving was a great moment

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You only like flawless characters ?

All the flaws that you mentioned, are used "against" her in the show, everybody is aware of them, but they love them despite them.

Señor

Definitely, the episode in the final series where Marshall had a go at her for leaving was a great moment
That was indeed a great moment. I was pissed when she had a hissy fit when he mentioned it, and tried to brush it off as Marshall being unfair. Marshall is way too good for her.

You only like flawless characters ?

All the flaws that you mentioned, are used "against" her in the show, everybody is aware of them, but they love them despite them.
Disliking a heartless meddling selfish hypocrite =/= only liking flawless characters.

It's not even being about flawed. Everyone is, it's just she has so many dislikable qualities, more so than likeable imo. I'm not sure how long I'd be hanging out with someone like her if she were to exist in real life.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That was indeed a great moment. I was pissed when she had a hissy fit when he mentioned it, and tried to brush it off as Marshall being unfair. Marshall is way too good for her.

Disliking a heartless meddling selfish hypocrite =/= only liking flawless characters.

It's not even being about flawed. Everyone is, it's just she has so many dislikable qualities, more so than likeable imo. I'm not sure how long I'd be hanging out with someone like her if she were to exist in real life.
She is partly, like she is partly because of the relationship, she had with her father, she struggles to trust people or trust herself.

And when you like someone it's easy to forget their flaws, or at least ignore them.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Quite liked the season tbh. They just ballsed the ending up big time.
They spent 24 episodes on a wedding that ended in divorce in the final episode. Given the ending the entire season was a waste of time and pointless.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
It'd been shit for a few seasons really. Well mostly, there was the odd good episode in between the awfulness.

Also...I'd heard good things about Community, but as soon as I found out that annoying woman Marshall shared a lift with to the wedding was in it I couldn't watch it.

Edit: ha. Turns out she's not, I'm obviously a racist.

ravi2

Stopped watching for the last few seasons... It devolved into complete bullshit by the end and was a parody of itself.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
It'd been shit for a few seasons really. Well mostly, there was the odd good episode in between the awfulness.

Also...I'd heard good things about Community, but as soon as I found out that annoying woman Marshall shared a lift with to the wedding was in it I couldn't watch it.

:lol::nono:

Danny Boi

You really should watch Community,the first 3 seasons especially are fantastic.

By the way the Yvette Nicole Brown, the actress who is actually in Community is hilarious and is not annoying at all.Sort of similar to Donna in Parks and Rec if you've seen that.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
You really should watch Community,the first 3 seasons especially are fantastic.

By the way the Yvette Nicole Brown, the actress who is actually in Community is hilarious and is not annoying at all.Sort of similar to Donna in Parks and Rec if you've seen that.
I probably will watch it, I don't have many tv shows on the go at the minute and no comedies so need to address that. I literally switched off as soon as I saw her though :D

Haven't seen parks and Rec either, was hoping it was on netflix but appears not.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I probably will watch it, I don't have many tv shows on the go at the minute and no comedies so need to address that. I literally switched off as soon as I saw her though :D

Haven't seen parks and Rec either, was hoping it was on netflix but appears not.
Parks and Rec is better than Community. As with most shows, I thought the later seasons were a bit weaker but still watchable and the earlier ones are truly excellent.

Cina

Parks and Rec is better than Community. As with most shows, I thought the later seasons were a bit weaker but still watchable and the earlier ones are truly excellent.
It's a no contest for me. P&R was consistently hilarious for 3 seasons and still very good for 3 more. Community had some great episodes and a lot of poor ones.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Not sure but out of all my friends, I'm the only one who has an intense dislike for her. One of them even has Lily pegged as her favourite character.
People like Lily? I don't think I know anyone that does. I think the actress is just quite annoying too.

I find Community to be highly annoying too and not funny at all.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
It's a no contest for me. P&R was consistently hilarious for 3 seasons and still very good for 3 more. Community had some great episodes and a lot of poor ones.
Exactly how I feel too. Though of course @roseguy64 is right, season 1 of Parks is well below par, but it's just 6 episodes to get past quickly.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
On the basis that “yea it was good until the last season right?” we’ve been rewatching this recently just as something to shove on whilst not always paying the most attention after work or whatever.

My god it got bad.

So bloody bad, and way before the final season. I can’t pinpoint when it turned but there’s only the odd decent bits from maybe season 6 onward.

Oh and the whole “Robin is so hot” stuff is way overplayed, she’s not all that and her believing it herself and going on about it all the time is really cringe and stupid.

The only thing that kept it going was Barney and they even ruined him from the time he started being into Robin.

And Ted is a jerk.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
On the basis that “yea it was good until the last season right?” we’ve been rewatching this recently just as something to shove on whilst not always paying the most attention after work or whatever.

My god it got bad.

So bloody bad, and way before the final season. I can’t pinpoint when it turned but there’s only the odd decent bits from maybe season 6 onward.

Oh and the whole “Robin is so hot” stuff is way overplayed, she’s not all that and her believing it herself and going on about it all the time is really cringe and stupid.

The only thing that kept it going was Barney and they even ruined him from the time he started being into Robin.

And Ted is a jerk.
It's also incredibly rapey in many, many parts. The female characters are overall very poorly written too.

And yeah it gets quite shit pretty early on, until it's just full on shit. The last season was tragic.

Also, for such a popular show, how bland and awful is the main character? I can't even remember the actor's name.

Charlie Foley

My god it got bad.

And Ted is a jerk.
I think when I watched it, season 8 seemed really bad, even worse than season 9. Or it could be season 7 was shite and much worse than season 8. But I think the former.
Should go back and watch it though. What service is it on?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Never laughed at it once when it's been on in the background. Main character is such an annoying character.

All the characters are pretty shite tbh. Massively cheesy.

Just read the final episode and I think it's even managed to beat GOT to the worst ending ever.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It's also incredibly rapey in many, many parts. The female characters are overall very poorly written too.

And yeah it gets quite shit pretty early on, until it's just full on shit. The last season was tragic.

Also, for such a popular show, how bland and awful is the main character? I can't even remember the actor's name.
Yea the female characters are pretty bad for sure. Robin is vapid and Lilly is quite horrible, some of the shit she does to the others is awful.

Re the actor playing Ted, I actually looked on IMDB at one point and I don’t think I’ve seen him in anything else.