How is Sheringham seen by United fans?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
One of my favourite ever players ever, a quality player for us and was unusually surrounded by mediocre players (Ferdinand, Klinsman, Anderton etc. excluded) and still managed to get 15-20 goals a season, one of the most intelligent forwards I have seen, was always a few seconds ahead of the play. Funnily enough I think he would fit in really well in any team in the current era of football.

Question is how is he seen by United fans? Is he a club legend for the 99 CL win or just a good player in a star studded side. I was just doing my usual wiki searches while bored in work and was surprised how few goals he managed for United, the 2000-2001 season aside.

Hope this is in the correct forum section.

Last edited:

Sylar

He didnt score much goals in the 99 season, but was involved in some important moments.

The assist to Beckham in the Semi Final vs Arsenal.
Coming on as a sub early vs Newcastle in the FA cup final, getting a goal and an assist.
Coming on in the CL final, getting the key equaliser and a brilliant assist.

He showed you dont need massive amounts of pace to succeed at the top level.

I just remember when he first joined us, and missed three penalties in a row, and the first being against Spurs :lol:

Nick7

Helped us win the treble. Wouldn't say a legend, but a very good player that wrote his name into the history of the club.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
As he was rarely first choice (pretty much always behind Cole and Yorke in the pecking order) I'd go with the 'good player in a star studded side' option however in some alternate reality Ole's the one that got the equaliser and Sheringham got the winner, I wonder how he's viewed in that universe....

youngrell

Always feel a bit sorry for him with regards to the 99 CL final. Ole gets all the plaudits despite him getting the equaliser and assisting the winner.

Scored some lovely goals for us and was a very classy player. Always had him down as our no. 4 striker during his time, though.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He didnt score much goals in the 99 season, but was involved in some important moments.

The assist to Beckham in the Semi Final vs Arsenal.
Coming on as a sub early vs Newcastle in the FA cup final, getting a goal and an assist.
Coming on in the CL final, getting the key equaliser and a brilliant assist.

He showed you dont need massive amounts of pace to succeed at the top level.

I just remember when he first joined us, and missed three penalties in a row, and the first being against Spurs :lol:
I remember that and convinced myself he missed on purpose. I never begrudged him his move either, I don't think any Spurs fan did.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Always feel a bit sorry for him with regards to the 99 CL final. Ole gets all the plaudits despite him getting the equaliser and assisting the winner.

Scored some lovely goals for us and was a very classy player. Always had him down as our no. 4 striker during his time, though.
I always thought Sheringham was the player that turned that game to be honest.

redshaw

I think his name should be included in the late in May song, it would easily fit as well. Both goals are obviously really important.

I always value him as very important to our clean sweep when we had Cole Yorke, Ole. 4 top strikers who can get the job done when the others can't.

He was also instrumental in the 1999 FA Cup final and just generally when coming on winning headers and setting up plays.

Sir Scott McToMinay

A really unique player, England haven’t produced such an elegant forward since then.
Fantastic in the air too.

Scored and assisted in a CL final win, of course he’s a legend.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
A really classy, intelligent player, a real football brain. Made me feel like SAF, I was playing Championship manager the summer Cantona retired, and signed Teddy as his replacement.........the following day United signed him, I spent the rest of the summer signing Fat Ronaldo and Battigol over and over but no luck.

Red_toad

We could do with a player of his ilk right now. Happy to be a squad player, very able substitute for an assist or a goal. Guy lived the dream at United, won stuff, earned a lot of money doing so whilst reaping the benefits of his fame on the side :lol:. Quality player and a good bloke.

Real intelligent and classy player.

People forget that he was our top goal scorer in the 2000 campaign with 21 goals. Scored a real beauty against Southampton at OT.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I thought Sheringham was quality for United. Part of the legendary front 4. One of my favourite players for United even though he wasn’t here that long.

SER19

The term footballing brain was invented for players like him. Had an Indian summer where he finished our top scorer after Yorkes demise, a player I will remember fondly

Matt007a

Wasn't fast, wasn't strong, didn't go past people but his strength was his speed of thought and footballing brain. He was a yard ahead of 99% of the players around him. Played during our greatest ever period alongside the 07-11 team so he's got some incredible competition. Maybe that's why he isn't thought about as much.

I don't think he is hugely popular off the pitch is he? That doesn't always help your legacy if your teammates don't talk about you in glowing terms.

simplyared

Certainly not legend status. A real cockney lad and classy forward who came to us at the right time for both club and player. Fitted in great!
However as in the likes of Graham, Wilkins, Stapelton, RVP one wonders in which club his heart really is?

stevoc

With their eyes....

Seriously though i thought he was a quality player that played a very important part of the clubs greatest ever season. He had a few good seasons either side of the treble year as well. Not sure he's seen as a legend but a cracking player all the same.

Bwuk

Not knocking Hernandez, but Sheringham was much better. His link up play and passing ability were way above Chicharito.
I agree. I mean in terms of how they are remembered in folklore.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Wasn't fast, wasn't strong, didn't go past people but his strength was his speed of thought and footballing brain. He was a yard ahead of 99% of the players around him. Played during our greatest ever period alongside the 07-11 team so he's got some incredible competition. Maybe that's why he isn't thought about as much.

I don't think he is hugely popular off the pitch is he? That doesn't always help your legacy if your teammates don't talk about you in glowing terms.
Yeah I have heard he is a bit full of himself but I have met him twice and both times was happy to chat and actually remembered that I had met him before.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Class, quality and arrogance. Those features are what every United striker needs. He complemented our attack with different skillset, too.

Boycott

Harry Kane is basically Sheringham in all but goal ratio. And the latter isn't a knock on Teddy because in his day a 1 in 3 ratio was seen as acceptable, whereas with the inflation caused by Messi/Ronaldo going at times better than a goal a game + worse standard of defenders, it makes any forward who wants to be considered top tier have to bag better than 1 in 2.

Big Andy

Bloke
Certainly not legend status. A real cockney lad and classy forward who came to us at the right time for both club and player. Fitted in great!
However as in the likes of Graham, Wilkins, Stapelton, RVP one wonders in which club his heart really is?
Quite obviously Spurs, however he does have a soft spot for United as well...

Was a great back up/rotation striker, and a different player than the likes of Yorke, Cole and Ole. Complimented the other 3 perfectly.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Oh hes a Spurs fan, but no doubt his stint at United was his career highlight... by quite some way.

A funny quote from him,

“I do hate Arsenal with a passion. No money in the world would ever tempt me to play for them.”

TRUERED89

Not knocking Hernandez, but Sheringham was much better. His link up play and passing ability were way above Chicharito.
Exactly, Teddy was a much better player all round, Chicha was a box player with exceptional movement, but didn't offer nothing to the build up imo.

Alabaster Codify7

Good player - very good - but seems to be a complete tosser off the pitch, as a person.

Of our 'fab 4', he was my least favourite. Preferred Cole, Yorke and Ole to him.

Eriku

I always thought Sheringham was the player that turned that game to be honest.
Really? The goal was important, but when Ole came on he got three chances really quickly, never mind the winner and the corner he won. After he came on the game started turning. I don’t recall the actual play and chances being influenced as much by Teddy.

As for the OP question, he’s not a legend, but always productive on the pitch, did so well to set up people around him and bring a calmness to proceedings. It was wonderful seeing him carry that on for as long as he did. The final years he really showed how overrated pace can be.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
An intelligent player, was bought to replace the King, which was unfair to him as they were clearly class apart. But he did play an important role in our trebling winning year, maybe not as much as Yorke, Cole and Solskjaer. But the way he setup the ball to our other striker, is top notch.