How is Sheringham seen by United fans?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
:lol: He got tremendous abuse from Spurs fans after he left! Only stopped when he re-signed for youse.
I wished him well as did most other fans I knew did, he accused Sugar of lacking ambition which he did. Of course there will be some who don't see it that way, but it was from a minority in my opinion.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Really? The goal was important, but when Ole came on he got three chances really quickly, never mind the winner and the corner he won. After he came on the game started turning. I don’t recall the actual play and chances being influenced as much by Teddy.

As for the OP question, he’s not a legend, but always productive on the pitch, did so well to set up people around him and bring a calmness to proceedings. It was wonderful seeing him carry that on for as long as he did. The final years he really showed how overrated pace can be.
Did he not assist Ole's winner?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He was the Nicky Butt of the attack. Like Butt, his name is often overlooked or mentioned last when remembering that team, but his contribution was massive.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I agree. I mean in terms of how they are remembered in folklore.
Chica never won PFA and FWA Player of the Year playing for us.

Gross underrating of Teddy’s time going on in here. He did a lot more than just “crucial bit part in the Treble season.”

Last edited:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Always feel a bit sorry for him with regards to the 99 CL final. Ole gets all the plaudits despite him getting the equaliser and assisting the winner.

Scored some lovely goals for us and was a very classy player. Always had him down as our no. 4 striker during his time, though.
Aye, a very good player and key in that '99 season.

It's funny, not to mention rather sad, to think as you say that he was our fourth striker then when most of us would crawl over broken glass to get prime Teddy in our current squad.

Eriku

Did he not assist Ole's winner?
I’m not saying he wasn’t influential. I’m just saying that if you watch the match and you see what sparks the slew of chances towards the end, the introduction of Ole seems to be a better shout. Ole instantly got a couple of chances, won the corner that eventually got us the first goal (I believe), and generally livened things up for us.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I’m not saying he wasn’t influential. I’m just saying that if you watch the match and you see what sparks the slew of chances towards the end, the introduction of Ole seems to be a better shout. Ole instantly got a couple of chances, won the corner that eventually got us the first goal (I believe), and generally livened things up for us.
Ole got the winner, Teddy got the first.

MisterLupus

He's an important part of our history no questions. He was aging but he adapted well to that and his intelligence and commitment helped him to still stay relevant way into his thirties. A lot of important involvements for us - and he could score too. In his mid-thirties he returned to Tottenham and was still a first team regular for the next couple of seasons - still scoring a lot and also contributing all across the field. I believe that's the thing though - why he's not mentioned as often as he deserves. A lot of us see him as a Tottenham player first and foremost - which I admit is unfair because he was a true professional - an important part of our success - and there was no question in regards to his devotion he always played his part the best he could.

Pav1878

If I could offer my two cents from experience meeting the man.

Firstly, I thought he was a very good player, intelligent on the pitch and took up excelle t positions, hence the equaliser in 99.

However, having met him as a bright eyed 12 year old at a restaurant in London, where he was making an official appearance, I was left very disappointed in him as a person.

I queued up with everyone else to get an autograph and he asked me what my name was, I told him, and he just smirked and said 'what kind of a name is that,' and proceeded to laugh with his son who had brought with him.

My only conclusion form meeting him was he had a very high opinion of himself and that he evidently had bigoted views or some sort of prejudice towards people who looked different to him or had different names. And to do that to a kid is very low.

Obviously, that is a biased opinion on him as a person based on meeting him, and maybe that biases my opinion of h as a footballer, but I do think he was a very good player for us.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Always liked him and repected him. Very intelligent player and always very aware of his role at United. And that made him a dream of a player to have for any manager. As far as the fans are concerned, he falls into the category of players who you really can't hate no matrer how hard you try exactly because of his aforementioned professionalism. God, i wish we had someone like him to play in between the lines...

BiggusCrickus

Top player.

2 games stick out for me

I was there when England beat Holland 4-1 at the euros I was 9. He alongside Shearer tore them apart and were perfect for each other

The other was following my other team. Plymouth Argyle. He was 40 and playing for West Ham. He ran the game and we lost 5 nil.

Great player who gets overlooked.

Last edited by a moderator:

jesperjaap

I think he is one of the most under rated and valued players this country has produced, always quality for his country and every club he played for. I remember when we signed him after Cantona left, who was irreplacable feeling a bit underwhelmed, no idea why.
He was a squad player here in the treble season....some of the best football I remember us playing throughout my lifetime was actually the couple of seasons following the treble and he came into his own then, comparisons to Chicarito are insane

RedFish

Teddy was a masterful reader of the game and just knew how to play the game. He had few peers in that regard. The right runs, the right pass and just a high technical level all round, he made the game look easy. Fabulous header of the ball too.

He's a football legend and after his contribution in the 99 final , he's a United legend too.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Firstly, I thought he was a very good player, intelligent on the pitch and took up excelle t positions, hence the equaliser in 99.

However, having met him as a bright eyed 12 year old at a restaurant in London, where he was making an official appearance, I was left very disappointed in him as a person.

I queued up with everyone else to get an autograph and he asked me what my name was, I told him, and he just smirked and said 'what kind of a name is that,' and proceeded to laugh with his son who had brought with him.

My only conclusion form meeting him was he had a very high opinion of himself and that he evidently had bigoted views or some sort of prejudice towards people who looked different to him or had different names. And to do that to a kid is very low.

Obviously, that is a biased opinion on him as a person based on meeting him, and maybe that biases my opinion of h as a footballer, but I do think he was a very good player for us.
A lot celeb's are like that unfortunately.

lysglimt

Scout
Under-rated player. Incredibly smart, who compensated his lack of pace by thinking faster than his opponents

AkaAkuma

One of my favourite United players. Probably in a minority as I've never seen much love for him on here. The berbatov comparison is fitting. Not quite the skill, but better output and intelligence.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Probably similar levels to Chicharito?
I gotta disagree here. I liked Hernandez as a personality, but he was nowhere near the player Teddy was, and will not be remembered as fondly.

Great player, who we signed a bit too late to get the best of, but still provided us with some great moments. That goal in 99 cemented his legendary status forever.

Kag

I want to know your name now. Pavel?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I still really like Teddy. Initially didn't feel much about him. Honestly he felt like a bit of a failed buy. Brought in to replace Cantona and ended up being replaced by Yorke. I didn't think that much of him. He was a solid all rounder but, in my mind, easily fourth choice behind Yorke, Cole and Ole. However, later in his United career he became really, really good. Its not like it was out of nowhere because, obviously, Teddy had always been an upper tier Premier League forward. However, that year he won player of the season he was amazing. I think it was the fact that he knew he was leaving United at the end of that season that helped him show his true self. Maybe for the first time he played for us without fear and was therefore able to show his best? It was as if he thought 'I'm leaving at the end of the season so there's no reason to hold back, what's the worse that can happen?' Considering his age in 2000/01 that season was phenomenal from him.

diarm

A poor mans Bergkamp which considering Bergkamp is one of my 3 favourite footballers of all time, makes him an excellent footballer who was an important member of a great squad.

acnumber9

Chica never won PFA and FWA Player of the Year playing for us.

Gross underrating of Teddy’s time going on in here. He did a lot more than just “crucial bit part in the Treble season.”
He scored two league goals the year we won the treble, five in total. And six in total the following season. One good season and two important goals in four years means there’s a slight overrating of his time at Utd I’d say. Hernandez did score more goals though.

RedNed77

I want to know your name now. Pavel?
Its Pavement.

Oldyella

Decent player for us, but for whatever reason, I could never warm to him like I could other players of the time. Especially the other 3 forwards.

Bestofthebest

Decent player for us, but for whatever reason, I could never warm to him like I could other players of the time. Especially the other 3 forwards.

Agree entirely, I just got the impression he was a bit snide, especially his feud with Cole. However got to admire his play once he settled in and he scored some absolute belters in his time with us and his career in general. Still, not the sort I would want to go for a pint with.

With time I have come to appreciate him a bit more. However, he did replace Cantona (who can actually do that!), so perhaps my expectations of him were too high at the time, but never particularly liked him. Always preferred to see Cole, Yorke or OGS on the teamsheet instead of him.

Good player, had key moments for us over a couple of seasons - however, he had an amazing environment and was parachuted into an already great team, so it would have been hard to go wrong. In summary, I’m completely indifferent, but wouldn’t rate him as a great Utd forward.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He didn't like my favourite player so i see him as a prick. Despite all goals for us:devil:

Sorry....

I mean how can you dislike Andy Cole? How??

Boycott

He didn't like my favourite player so i see him as a prick. Despite all goals for us:devil:

Sorry....

I mean how can you dislike Andy Cole? How??
tbf if a modern day player did this he'd get absolutely blasted

Shinjch

He was pure class. A player who makes those around him play better as well.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Very very clever player.
If we were playing with 4 attackers, he'd definitely get into this team.

Sir Scott McToMinay

I couldn’t care less what kind of a person he was off the field or what his relationship with Andy Cole was like.
The man assisted and scored in the last 3 minutes of the greatest game you’ll ever watch as a United supporter in your life.
If I ever met him I’d thank him for that.

L E G E N D