How is that Hudson-Odoi handball not a penalty?

pablo__p

Does every incident in a United game now need it's own thread?

Will there be one later like " How was that not a throw in when it bounced off that guy's foot"

Guess if throw-ins were worth 0.76 xG then we'd be talking about them more.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
The letter of the law doesn’t matter to the refs I’d bet they’d struggle to quote them, they just make it up it’s been blatantly obvious for years. Hence why all decisions are so secretive.

Gazza

It’s the sort of penalty that ideally wouldn’t be a penalty, so it’s difficult to feel too pissed off. But as per the rules it’s probably definitely a penalty.
Yep. I find it very hard to get annoyed about a moment/decision like that.

PieCrust

I actually think VAR has worked very well in this example, and it should be the onfield ref who views the incident.

no one on the pitch saw it. VAR thought it was a pen.

you can’t legislate for the ref shitting the bed.
I don't think the on field should be making the call. It should come from an independent official who is in charge of VAR. It works that way in other leagues and many other sports. It's a find and reasonable way to run it.

Also I think the refs should be mic'd up so we can hear their thought process and how they arrive at these decisions. Would remove all the ambigouity from it and is way to hold the officials accountable to the laws of the game, not the laws as they see fit.

So yes, you can legislate for the refs shitting the bed.

I don't think the on field should be making the call. It should come from an independent official who is in charge of VAR. It works that way in other leagues and many other sports. It's a find and reasonable way to run it.

Also I think the refs should be mic'd up so we can hear their thought process and how they arrive at these decisions. Would remove all the ambigouity from it and is way to hold the officials accountable to the laws of the game, not the laws as they see fit.

So yes, you can legislate for the refs shitting the bed.
the problem is that many decisions are not black and white, and so it should be the ref that makes the final decision.

firstly they see everything that the VAR see but also the own view in addition. So therefore they have more insight than anyone else.

I agree the conversations should be broadcast, and have said so from the beginning.

It is scandalous that the conversations are not.

the process needs to be transparent.

Why don’t you want to see it given? He punched the ball away from Greenwood to gain possession. I’m thoroughly baffled as to why anyone thinks it shouldn’t be a penalty. It’s 100% a penalty, any year, under any handball rule. The only way it’s not a penalty is if we decide that players are actually allowed to use their hands after all. And this would be given every single time if it happened anywhere else on the pitch.
I just think he was running towards him, put his hands up because he thought he was gonna run into him and then his hand happened to be there, the ball almost landed on it really. And if he hadn't handled it there's a good chance Greenwood - heading away from goal - would have, so I'm not sure he gained a huge advantage all things considered. If Greenwood was bearing down on goal then maybe.

I'm still annoyed it hasn't been given don't get me wrong, I just think handballs should take into account intent and what sort of advantage was gained.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Is it worth saying that Chelsea had very good shout for a pen not given at OT? Maybe these things DO even themselves out....

Or do they?

Hulksmash

Why are people blaming the VAR.

VAR send the Ref and the Ref decided it

Giggsy13

To answer the question, the state of officiating in the premier league is absolute shit.

Camilo

I dunno, I think you could say Greenwood pushes his hand into the ball.. It's all very much a nothing moment.

reddev3

I didn't think it was a pen because his arm's in a natural position, they're jockeying for position and it grazes his hand.

Also the picture makes it look like Greenwood has pushed his arm up on to it making it even less of a pen. Would have loved it to have been but don't think it as.

reddev3

Of course it is by the rules. Very similar l to lindeloff against Palace.
The rules were changed after that. At that time if it hit your hand it was handball.

The rules now state if you arms are now in a natural position it's just an accident and play on. I think they were as both players were jockeying for position meaning their hands were on each other.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The rules were changed after that. At that time if it hit your hand it was handball.

The rules now state if you arms are now in a natural position it's just an accident and play on. I think they were as both players were jockeying for position meaning their hands were on each other.
That Lindelof handball was earlier at the start of this season. Rules apparently can be changed mid season. Brilliant.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Just because it hit his hand doesn't mean it's handball.
If he gains an advantage from it then yes it does.
That was a stonewall pen all day long.

RedDevilRoshi

Hand was in an unnatural position and he’s played it against the ball.

Stonewall penalty. God knows how the ref thought otherwise.

OleGunnar20

I've no idea of the fecking rules anymore. I'm surprised it wasnt given but would prefer if (for football as a whole) things like that weren't ever penalties.

The games becoming a bit of a mess.

reddev3

If he gains an advantage from it then yes it does.
That was a stonewall pen all day long.
No, that's not how it works. If his arm is a natural position then it doesn't matter.

Roman Saiss cleared one off the line yesterday with his arm but because it was in a natural position it wasn't a pen and considered a brilliant clearance.

Oranges038

It is handball, his raises his hand, hits his hand he benefits from it, penalty all day long.

Atwell is just an awful referee, always has been, he should never have been given another game after he gave this goal.

Goal? No, he gives a penalty.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Shaw saying something interesting there. Ref said to Maguire “if I give the pen it’s going to be talked about”

Woodzy

Shaw's comments :confused:

That needs looking at if it's true. No referee should be in the job if they are afraid of post match reactions to a decision.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
and it was there, in an unnatural position. 100% stonewall.
Except it wasn't, because the referee didn't give it.

I said in my first post I think it's a pen, I think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

reddev3

That Lindelof handball was earlier at the start of this season. Rules apparently can be changed mid season. Brilliant.
They can, they did and it was for the better. There have been a lot worse "handballs" than the one today that weren't given since the change and rightly so.

Some of the pens being given at the beginning of the season were laughable with the Lindelof one and the one against Crystal palace being the worse offenders and the catalyst for the change.

Infra-red

Shaw has properly dropped the ref in it in his post-match interview. Allegedly, the referee told Maguire that it was a penalty but if he gave it, it would be a big post-match talking point - so no penalty.