How long before Martial gets the call?

NJM78

I fear for Martial missing the Euros. I bet if he hits 20 plus goals Dechamps will still leave him at home.

led_scholes

If he continues this form, which is decent -nothing exceptional but more than average- I think he will get one. He is better than Ben Yedder, Fekir etc. I can see why they insist on Giroud, so apart from the obvious one (Mbappe and Greizmann) i feel that, talent wise, he is above the rest.

Art Vandelay

He's had a few good matches for an inconsistent team, he's not setting the world on fire. He's still as likely to go missing as put in a good performance. If he keeps the form up until the end of the season then he might make the Euros. If he doesn't it's his own fault, he has the talent.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I fear for Martial missing the Euros. I bet if he hits 20 plus goals Dechamps will still leave him at home.
Comes back fresh for next season :D

I'm not sure it's just about goals, but if he started playing to his potential consistently, he'd be in the equation.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It really depend on whether deschamps wants to use that type of striker - I don't think he sees that type of striker as all that important.

If he does then he has the likes of Greizmann who can do the same thing - still he is better striker than the rest so should go.

Paul_Scholes18

He probably should be. It is not like the other strikers are flying at the moment. Giroud is stuck on the bench and Lacazette is not doing much.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If Martial wants a place in the squad then United fans should want one for him

With Giroud not playing much you would think he merits a spot on the bench, no? There's Griezmann, Mbappe.. who else?

KennyBurner

Well if the euros are important to him he needs to work very hard to the point where it will be impossible for deschamp not to at least include him as backup. If Martial has any good advisors they need to start drilling it into his head that he needs to overperform to have a shot. I also think the french media might have a say even if dechamps doesn't fancy him.

Cant believe Giroud can rot on the bench and still walk into the first team uncontested. Must be a size thing.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Why are some acting as if Deschamps has something against Martial? Whenever he hit form, he got called up. He didn't get in the WC squad because Mourinho wouldn't play him enough. Not to mention, there is a lot of competition for those spots.

If Martial wants a place in the squad then United fans should want one for him

With Giroud not playing much you would think he merits a spot on the bench, no? There's Griezmann, Mbappe.. who else?
Coman, Lemar, Dembele, Ben Yedder. He can definitely get in, and I suspect he will if he keeps up his form.

OverratedOpinion

I am not sure why but I assumed Lacazette had a much better scoring record since joining Arsenal.

Anyway, I think Martial will go to the Euros.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Greizmann - Mbappe
---------------Martial------------

Or

Martial -- Mbappe
------Greizmann----------

Which one is better?

Andersons Dietician

He has already called up Martial and he pulled out of the squad with injury this year did he not. He was in training with the squad if I recall. It’s not like he is on bad terms with Deschamp.

I’ve kinda always wanted to see the front 3 of Martial on form, Mbappe just being Mbappe and an in form Ousmane Dembélé. Those 3 at their best would be frightening.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
When he is fit and plays well, he gets called. So I'm not sure why some think that he isn't fancied by Deschamps.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Greizmann - Mbappe
---------------Martial------------

Or

Martial -- Mbappe
------Greizmann----------

Which one is better?
if I had to pick between the two, easily the second one. Deschamps most likely will never go for that unless it's a friendly competition, he likes his target man and if Giroud is not up to snuff, he'll find a replacement that fits his profile, at least that's what I think the man will do, he's not really a guy that takes you by surprise with his line ups.

He has already called up Martial and he pulled out of the squad with injury this year did he not. He was in training with the squad if I recall. It’s not like he is on bad terms with Deschamp.

I’ve kinda always wanted to see the front 3 of Martial on form, Mbappe just being Mbappe and an in form Ousmane Dembélé. Those 3 at their best would be frightening.
That's a dream I've had ever since Mbappe played with Dembele against England in a friendly. However, I have serious reservations about Dembele's potential to be realized. At this point, I have more faith in Martial than Ousmane and it's a damn shame as I believe he is the most naturally gifted of the three.

manc4red

For Martial to get the call a couple things need to happen.

1) he plays at a high and consistent level to prove what he can being to the pitch

2) Manutd to start performing. There is definitely a correlation between a teams success and its players tapped for a country call up

However, if I am being honest, I rather Martial not get called up so he is always fresh and fit for us

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
2020 euros might propel Martial to truly reach his potential, if picked

Andersons Dietician

if I had to pick between the two, easily the second one. Deschamps most likely will never go for that unless it's a friendly competition, he likes his target man and if Giroud is not up to snuff, he'll find a replacement that fits his profile, at least that's what I think the man will do, he's not really a guy that takes you by surprise with his line ups.

That's a dream I've had ever since Mbappe played with Dembele against England in a friendly. However, I have serious reservations about Dembele's potential to be realized. At this point, I have more faith in Martial than Ousmane and it's a damn shame as I believe he is the most naturally gifted of the three.
Very true, I don’t know why but I just have a feeling we will maybe try and get Dembele for a reasonable price off of Barca and take the risk that Ole can get him fit and playing over the likes of Sancho and the rest. Be it central in the 10 or most likely outwide.

Think I read he recently suffered another injury that was going to keep him out for a while so no January move.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Deschamps does like him, but by the time the international fixtures come around he always gets injured or in bad form.

Strelok

Pretty soon imo, especially if he is able to carry this current sort of form.

He was competing on the left in the past and France just happened to have a lot of good left wingers.

With him transforming to a capable #9 it's a new Martial this year imo. He'd give Dechamps a lot more tactical options instead of the current tactic with Giroud upfront. Imagine a quick passing, pacey attack with Martial, Mbappe, Griezmann, Dembele and Pogba behind. It would scare the shit out of most teams imho.

P/s: like this

Dembele, Martial, Mbappe
Griezmann
Pogba, Kante

Last edited:

Seij

Pretty soon imo, especially if he is able to carry this current sort of form.

He was competing on the left in the past and France just happened to have a lot of good left wingers.

With him transforming to a capable #9 it's a new Martial this year imo. He'd give Dechamps a lot more tactical options instead of the current tactic with Giroud upfront. Imagine a quick passing, pacey attack with Martial, Mbappe, Griezmann, Dembele and Pogba behind. It would scare the shit out of most teams imho.

P/s: like this

Dembele, Martial, Mbappe
Griezmann
Pogba, Kante
Unbelievable amount of talent in that formation but I think even with Kante running around like a madman they'll get run over in the midfield.

And it'd be even worse because Dembele will actually be on the physio table rather than on the field.

Strelok

Unbelievable amount of talent in that formation but I think even with Kante running around like a madman they'll get run over in the midfield.

And it'd be even worse because Dembele will actually be on the physio table rather than on the field.
It's actually pretty balanced imho.

I don't watch him much at Barca but if you've watched Griemann in ATM you'd see how good he is both offensively and defensively. He was one of the hardest working SS I've seen tbh. I mean he was actually covering the works of a SS and an AM/CM there.

And Kante, he alone would assure the defensive duties of a whole midfield imo. Griezmann on the right, Pogba on the left, Kante as a holding or Griezmann on the left and Kante left, Pogba right as a double pivot gonna work well and provide good balance I think.

meamth

As a genuine no.9 if he keeps this up, he will be the undisputed no.1 choice.

Griezman behind him, Mbappe on the right and Dembele on the left..that might be the strongest forward line in the Euros.

Not to mention with midfield of Kante and Pogba. France are favourites.

Edit:

Martial playing style this season imo is like a deep lying forward, which is more useful than old fashioned target man. He certainly has grown so much.

Son

I haven’t actually seen much of Coeman and Dembele this season who both were compared closely to Martial 2 years back as future leaders of the French side. They didn’t seem to have places locked down at either of their clubs.

We know Mbappe is the undisputed star out of the young players they have but Martial looked like he’d be the flop last few seasons. Looked like we bought the dud. That seems to have flipped on its head now imo. He’s putting up good numbers in a better league.

::sonny::

He's had a few good matches for an inconsistent team, he's not setting the world on fire. He's still as likely to go missing as put in a good performance. If he keeps the form up until the end of the season then he might make the Euros. If he doesn't it's his own fault, he has the talent.
agreed

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Griezman behind him, Mbappe on the right and Dembele on the left..that might be the strongest forward line in the Euros.
Dembele is very injury prone, and not that good either.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Coman, Lemar, Dembele, Ben Yedder. He can definitely get in, and I suspect he will if he keeps up his form.
None of those guys are anything special. Coman is always injured. Lemar is a flop. Dembele is a flop. Ben Yedder is a decent poacher but nothing else.

In my opinion, France’s forward options apart from Mbappe and Griezmann are nothing special (Benzema is good too, but he’s been frozen out).

Martial can easily get in imo.

432JuanMata

He might or might not get in but up till lately he has done f all to deserve it, France are heavily stacked everywhere

Raven

He was picked for the first international break of the season but had to pull out because of injury, I'm pretty sure.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He needs to keep this up during the entire season to have a tiny chance. Deschamps is a very rigid coach, he will go with players he trusts 100% more in terms of attitude and performances rather than unknown quantities like Martial

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
None of those guys are anything special. Coman is always injured. Lemar is a flop. Dembele is a flop. Ben Yedder is a decent poacher but nothing else.

In my opinion, France’s forward options apart from Mbappe and Griezmann are nothing special (Benzema is good too, but he’s been frozen out).

You're looking at it from a football perspective only and if that were the only that mattered I would agree with you without a doubt. However Deschamps is who he is.

Seij

Can't forget about a spot for Giroud as Deschamps will always call him up.

Seij

It's actually pretty balanced imho.

I don't watch him much at Barca but if you've watched Griemann in ATM you'd see how good he is both offensively and defensively. He was one of the hardest working SS I've seen tbh. I mean he was actually covering the works of a SS and an AM/CM there.

And Kante, he alone would assure the defensive duties of a whole midfield imo. Griezmann on the right, Pogba on the left, Kante as a holding or Griezmann on the left and Kante left, Pogba right as a double pivot gonna work well and provide good balance I think.
I'm aware that Griezmann works hard but a forward working hard to contribute defensively is not the same thing as an actual central midfielder, imo.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Can't forget about a spot for Giroud as Deschamps will always call him up.
Only if he plays well, Giroud had to earn his spot and no one has managed to take it from him.

Gasolin

Can't see him getting one this decade unfortunately.
With Giroud in competition? Come on, Martial is way better than Giroud in that role where it's not all about scoring. Way better. Score 15 this season and he will get a call.