How long before we win a PL title again?

laughtersassassin

Impossible to say. Under the Glazers I'd be inclined to say never.

5 years would probably be th minimum of it happens

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

I don't think it's that ridiculous to say never. Back in the days of just us Vs Arsenal....the Glazers would lead us to the odd title even without Fergie I'm sure. But the landscape has changed. Nowadays we have Chelski, Abu Dhabi Blues and even Liverpool have found their balls as a club again. And then now we will probably have Newcastle on the scene too with their cash.

The Glazers will never get it right. They have had 4 attempts so far post Fergie and it's just shown them up for what they are. Leeches. They don't have a clue how to structure a footy club and run it properly. They left it in the hands of Ed Woodward which says everything.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
When City, Liverpool, and Chelsea make a bad manager appointment. 2 our of those 3 might be enough. If we have a top tier manager ourselves by then, that is.

wolvored

We have a decent squad expensively put together and some good young players who may be able to step up.
A decent manager who can coach and improve these players 10% at least and spot talent to improve us could possibly win the title.
Rodgers, Pochettino the likely suspects could do this. They would also have funds they have never had at their Premier clubs.
A competent player could challenge next season, Certainly within 2.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum

This is my thinking too.

This current set up has no ambition to win anything, sooner or later players will also realise this, then sponsors which will inevitably reduce cash flow, making it a struggle even if the Glazerd sell up, wouldn't surprise me if we had a Liverpool like drought.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Glazers awarded themselves their semi-annual £7 million in dividends today. Ed Woodward said “While these financial results today demonstrate our resilience through the pandemic, our top priority is success on the pitch," he insisted. "The manager, players and everyone at the club are determined to achieve that objective.”

So that's ok. Top priority is definitely success on the pitch. Definitely not pumping the share price. Title this season.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...hester-united-glazer-owners-finances-22191702

Last edited:

BlueHaze

I would honestly say football runs in cycles and I'm sure one day we'll go back to challenging and winning stuff again but with the Glazers here I can't say this. It feels like as long as they remain we will never go back to winning big titles let alone challenge for them. It is what it is. We were blessed enough to go witness the phenomenal Sir Alex era which gave us so many good memories and pure dominance.

TeddyBear

'Ole's CL goal was overrated'
I'm 36 this year.
Hopefully within my limited lifespan on planet earth.

Abraxas

Very difficult to say. It could be a couple of years or 10 years depending on whether we get things right in a way we have not since Fergie retired. Football can change very, very quickly. It's not as if everything is wrong, even though the performances are currently bleak. We have some good players, some fantastic youth about the place, strong finances. The narrative that a top manager challenges for the title is probably an exaggeration given our deficiencies, but the point is that we do have some talent.

There's something to work with for a top manager, even if the opposition are incredibly strong. I think things begin to look a lot different with the right choice of manager and one or two smart acquisitions to address the balance of our squad.

TheLord

When the current Chelsea-City-Liverpool cycle ends, we might end up with the Newcastle cycle. So it might be a long, long wait

Merlin 1975-78

Since SAF left us as champions of the most competitive league in the world we have been quite far away from winning another PL trophy. Although technically we have come closest possible twice, but on both occassion the gulf in points and quality between us and the eventual winners was akin to the Grand Canyon. Poor metaphors apart, when do you think we will win the PL next. For clarity let's have these choices:

1. Within the next two seasons
2. Within next 5 years, but not in the immediate 2 years.
3. Within 6-10 years, but not in the immediate 5 years.
4. Not in the foreseeable future given we are a poorly managed football club and several new footballing superpowers will rise within the league making the job next to impossible for us.
5. Eboue.

Go!
I fear it could be the 4th of your option's as more & more dam-right joke clubs such as, Newcastle get themselves rich owners, whilst we chose not too go down that particular rout & I fear our stubborness could result in an extreamly long wait & yet the crazy thing is we would have more right too have mega-rich owners than any other club in the uk, as we would be re-claiming our divine right too compete in the transfer market without having one & a-half hand's tied behind our back's in each transfer window & even when we do buy anyone decent,, Ole or whoever end's up replacing him feel's they have too follow the owners instruction's by selling one or two too balance the book's & the problem with doing that is we''ll nevver be able too build a great squard again were everyone is constantly fighting for their places in the starting line-up & sadly wheather we like too admit or not, that is what is needed in-order too get anywere near too putting in a searious title bid more! Imagine how devastated the jealous ABU clowns would be if, United suddenly went & got the richest owners of the lot & that is yet another reason why it needs too happen, as it would wipe the smug grin's (that they have been wearing eversince the start of the 2013/14 season), right off of their faces for once & forall!

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
When we had capable managers we didn't have the correct players. Now we have good players with ole. Glazers management is like waiting for the stars to be aligned themselves. We really only hoping for miracle. All i want to see is SAF watching us winning it as a fan. People who thinks pep and klopp leaving will make us win it is living in a dream world. Competently run businesses have systems in place to ensure transition. Nowadays im just happy watching us win games, expectations are all time low and kinda grown ok to it. I won't be surprised if i never he to watch us lift it again in my lifetime at current trajectory. Its gloomy and sad.

L1nk

It won't happen under Solskjaer's tenure, so the longer we keep him around the longer it will take, however, it will entirely depend on who we bring in next. Rodgers? Never. Pochettino? Maybe in a few seasons but unlikely. Zidane? I honestly can't see him being a success here. Ten Hag? Probably the best chance we'd have I reckon to at least competing at the top level with a manager who gets more out of a team than the sum of its parts.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
As things stand the probability of City or Pool eventually replacing Pep or Klopp with suitable managers is much more than that of us eventually getting an appointment right after all these years?

BaneIsPain

we are lucky to get the title within a decade especially with the incompetence of the board.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
At best then option 3: 6-10 years.

It's vitally important that Klopp fecks off, but even then Liverpool are so well run that they'll be a threat for a while yet.

City obviously endless resources and brilliantly run as well; dip after Pep expected but should move on reasonably quickly.

Chelsea very unpredictable - their way of doing business might leave them out of the Champions League or might see them win it, so too unpredictable to really judge that far in the future. But Roman isn't going anywhere, so neither will they.

Newcastle will eventually get up there, but not in that timeframe I think - but their rise could set us back due to how badly we are run.

But maybe if there is a lull in 6 to 10 years then we might be able to pull a Leicester and win the damn thing against the odds. Can't see it happening any other way, or any sooner.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
It won't happen under Solskjaer's tenure, so the longer we keep him around the longer it will take, however, it will entirely depend on who we bring in next. Rodgers? Never. Pochettino? Maybe in a few seasons but unlikely. Zidane? I honestly can't see him being a success here. Ten Hag? Probably the best chance we'd have I reckon to at least competing at the top level with a manager who gets more out of a team than the sum of its parts.
Managers are important but just by changing a manager cannot reach to a league title. If really Managers are just the factor how come Van Gaal, and Jose fail? Maybe Jose is just past it but what about Van Gaal? He is doing quite well with the Dutch team. Both Van Gaal and Jose are level above the managers you mention.

There is a more fundamental thing that needs to change within Manchester United. Without that, change 10 managers and the team will still be talking about changing managers.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Managers are important but just by changing a manager cannot reach to a league title. If really Managers are just the factor how come Van Gaal, and Jose fail? Maybe Jose is just past it but what about Van Gaal? He is doing quite well with the Dutch team. Both Van Gaal and Jose are level above the managers you mention.

There is a more fundamental thing that needs to change within Manchester United. Without that, change 10 managers and the team will still be talking about changing managers.
Van Gaal is a 1990's manager. He is older than Jose Mourinho in terms of football.

International football is different than League football.

bludsucker

We will win by 2022. We are going on an amazing winning run till the end of the season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Imagine Real Madrid, Bayern, Barcelona going 9 years without a league title. For those clubs it simply won't be acceptable. Heads would be rolling every year.
At ours, no one is under any pressure to deliver it. I think ours could be 15 years if not longer.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
As long as we keep fhe current personell in charge of the football side of things of the club. Our problems run very deep. Yes, Ole is a problem but the ones who made fhe decision that gave him the job are a much bigger one.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

That hiring mediocre or flawed managers didn't bring bigger success is rather proof that managers are 'just the factor' than proof against it. So yeah, there's one fundamental thing you need to change - you need to start hiring the right managers.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Glazers awarded themselves their semi-annual £7 million in dividends today. Ed Woodward said “While these financial results today demonstrate our resilience through the pandemic, our top priority is success on the pitch," he insisted. "The manager, players and everyone at the club are determined to achieve that objective.”

So that's ok. Top priority is definitely success on the pitch. Definitely not pumping the share price. Title this season.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...hester-united-glazer-owners-finances-22191702
I like that he said the manager and not Ole. Smallest of silver lining but shows that they are considering a change.

UpWithRivers

In around 3 years we will have Newcastle as City mark 2 and who knows which other club will be bought out by some children abusers by then. So probably never. We might just win the lottery like Liverpool did with Klopp so its never impossible in football but its highly unlikely and even then it will be a one off. Winners will look like - City, Newcastle, City, Chelsea, Newcastle, City, Liverpool, Newcastle, Chelsea, City, Newcastle, Man Utd,

Swordsman

im not optimistic so option 4.

either glazers leave all the football decisions to proper football director or they leave the club which neither will happened.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
In around 3 years we will have Newcastle as City mark 2 and who knows which other club will be bought out by some children abusers by then. So probably never. We might just win the lottery like Liverpool did with Klopp so its never impossible in football but its highly unlikely and even then it will be a one off. Winners will look like - City, Newcastle, City, Chelsea, Newcastle, City, Liverpool, Newcastle, Chelsea, City, Newcastle, Man Utd,
The West Ham billionaire seems to be damn serious about the club too.

Bestietom

Think it all depends on how ambitious this club is now.
We need to hire a top manager and coaches first.
Then follow this up with more top players.
Finally we must get them playing consistently week in week out.

DULLAGHAN

Anywhere between 5 to 50 years at this rate. Club needs a complete restructuring with people who understand the game, that won't happen until we hit rock bottum and the parasites leave or realise they need a compitent structure. It will then take a few years to improve.

A top class manager could do it in a season with the current squad, but we know our inept board won't appoint one.

Green_Red

This current group won't win a league title, under any manager. Defense is soft, midfield non existent, top heavy with forwards that don't press properly.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Many years I suspect! Won't be long before its 10, then before you know it, it will be 15. My son is 1 at the moment, I hope one day both of us will be at OT to see United lifting the PL!

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.

Van Gaal was a poor choice, just not suited for the PL. Remember, he was nearly off to spurs before we came in for him so that shows the level he was at! Being sucessful for the national team does not mean you are a good league manager, Coleman did really well with Wales but then failed miserably with Sunderland.

Plus Van Gaal completely gutted the squad and signed so many average players:

Falcao
Di Maria
Rojo
Valdes
Basti
Memphis
Schneiderlin
Darmian
Martial
Herrera

It took us years to clean up his mess