How long before we win a PL title again?

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Since SAF left us as champions of the most competitive league in the world we have been quite far away from winning another PL trophy. Although technically we have come closest possible twice, but on both occassion the gulf in points and quality between us and the eventual winners was akin to the Grand Canyon. Poor metaphors apart, when do you think we will win the PL next. For clarity let's have these choices:

1. Within the next two seasons
2. Within next 5 years, but not in the immediate 2 years.
3. Within 6-10 years, but not in the immediate 5 years.
4. Not in the foreseeable future given we are a poorly managed football club and several new footballing superpowers will rise within the league making the job next to impossible for us.
5. Eboue.

Go!

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
a wise man once compared us to jewish kids at christmas. we are now wandering the wilderness for the next 40 years until we reach the promised land once more.

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid
I'll go for option 2, out of hope rather than expectation I suppose.

I think Klopp and Pep will be moving on before too long. Assuming we get the right manager next, and back them properly, we could capitalise on City and Liverpool being weaker, but there's still Chelsea to deal with.

Reactions: Cheimoon

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We should be competing for it right now and the next few years with our squad. I don't think it'll happen in the next 5 years though. This season is a write off, next 2-3 years will be wasted giving Rodgers time, by that point there will be a good chunk of players that will need replacing and there's too many unknowns with our squad and the manager. But we are currently in a win now window IMO, yet it'll almost definitely be wasted, which is a big shame.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The club need to get lucky with a managerial appointment like Liverpool did with Klopp if it ever going to happen again. Newcastle United coming into the equation has made it more difficult in the long-term.

Siorac

With the financial power we have, the right manager and coaching staff would have us competing in no time. But I can't help but be convinced that we'll keep appointing duds like Solskjaer and the three before him.

James35

I'd go with number 3. I really see nothing changing whilst the Glazers and our inept board are in place.

Getting rid of Ole would be a step in the right direction for a trophy at least.

Loon

:lol:
Same question asked by the Dippers circa 1992. Like Thatcher, they thought it would never end.

Which is basically Eboue.

Yakuza_devils

We need to get Ed to fast for 40 days in the desert and hope that he can be enlightened to get the proper football people to run club.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
4. Not in the foreseeable future given we are a poorly managed football club and several new footballing superpowers will rise within the league making the job next to impossible for us.

Has to be this for me, the club is run by footballing incompetents from top to bottom, and the ingrained nepotism ensures that will not change any time soon.
Added to that, the rise of newly bought clubs such as Newcastle etc, I don't expect to see United Champions again for many, many years, if at all

tenpoless

3001 when we finally find a way to clone a 50 y.o Sir Alex with his 50 y.o memories and abilities while football is being played on Mars. Tickets being paid in Dogecoin.

Last edited:

TheLord

A thread where logic is thrown out of the window. There are at least a dozen variables that decide when United will win again beginning with when the Glazers appoint a sensible manager.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I'd say option 2 is realistic if we assume both Pep and Klopp to leave within the next 2-3 seasons.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Get this next appointment right, and we could be challenging for the title as early as next season.

Get it wrong and, well, you lot know how this goes by now.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'd say within the next 5 years but more sure about the next 10 years so I will choose that.

My reasons:
  • As Embarrassing as it is to wait for other clubs to fail - Pep and Klopp have talked about taking a break or moving to a different club soon. I see this happening in the next 2-3 years. Tuchel and Conte are short term managers too in their CV, so manager wise the whole PL top clubs could be looking around and aiming to change their managers from City, Liverpool, Chelsea, United to Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs etc. I see the PL personally going down a level at this point; similar to how I don't think La Liga is that great at the moment and Atheltico Madrid is one of their strongest title winning teams.
  • As much as I love him, I don't think SAF left this team in a good state after such a long time being our manager. This can be understood because he was getting old at the time and probably just wanted to go soon as he won the next title. However, this just got ridiculously worse with Van Gaal when he stripped the squad apart and made it a whole next level of weak.
  • Whilst Ole has not been a good manager- whether it's him or the new DOF, there has been an improvement of the players we go for even if it isn't completely perfect. If we can continue to get some good players and finally get a good manager to manage them - then success should not be the hardest thing to get.

studs

If we don't win the league by year ten, it will be along time I think. It might be a total different team.

kps88

Whenever Pep and Klopp feck off. Just have to hope our squad will be in a place to challenge then and not in the middle of a rebuild.

Flytan

Whenever the board is completely replaced (Glazers aren't getting replaced so the best bet is putting pressure on them to force them to put football minds on the board and just let them rake in dividends by us being successful). So 6-10 years I guess.

Judas

Open to offers
With the right decisions up top in terms of structure, management and recruitments, I'd like to say in the next 5-6 years. But would I be shocked if 10 years go by and we're still swimming around in a sea of mediocrity? Sadly not at all. Clubs fecked.

sdb4884

We need the right people at board level and in the coaching ranks and we don't have anyone right at the moment. They all need to cleared out, the Glazers, Woodward. Ole, McKenna, Phelan, Carrick, Fletcher and so forth. The new manager with some reputation can bring in his own staff with him. Until this happens no we won't win anything of note.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Does historical data suggest we will make a good managerial appointment which will get us back in the mix?

In the last 100 years we have had 20 managers. When you exclude the statistical anomalies which were SAF and SMB, it whittles down to 18 managers in 50 years. So apparently we change quite frequently because we normally do not get it right.

kps88

Interesting that the majority of the answers are quite downbeat yet we still seem to have high expectations for the current squad. Does this mean expectations will be low for whoever does replace Ole? Or would we still expect him to challenge for the league despite most in here accepting it's an incredibly difficult ask with our structure and Pep and Klopp around?

Jericho

Depends on who’s in charge of the club. With the resources we have I think we’re only ever 1-2 years of good decisions away from winning the league. We just haven’t been making those good decisions.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Depends on who’s in charge of the club. With the resources we have I think we’re only ever 1-2 years of good decisions away from winning the league. We just haven’t been making those good decisions.
How long will we have those resources given our lack of success in recent times? Sitting at the high table is not a given.

redshaw

Option 4 really.

The Glazers and their board have poorly mismanaged things so far I can't see it changing unless they sell up or somehow realize they need a whole new mindset in people they appoint to run the club. With a billion spent not even the law of averages can we get close to winning a major trophy in close to a decade. It's a catalogue of failure.

If clubs around us take a bad turn soon I could see us stumbling to a title, but I fear it will be short lived and very unlikely. We'll have 2 super oil clubs in 5-10 years time all throwing money around to attract the best and Chelsea depending on Roman a close third. It's going to be difficult to overcome those three, if any drop away briefly the other two will be there, they have the ability to keep thwarting a natural cycle, United have or had the unique chance to keep up there but it's only on our own money earned, this will dwindle fast the longer we keep wasting it. I feel we are in limbo like post Busby until Fergie arrived.

I guess looking further out, you never know how English football will be doing in 15-30 years, for whatever reason(s) audiences could drop and oil owners look elsewhere. United could come back if the current cycle ends.

Last edited:

Denis79

With the right manager we could take the title next season already.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
After this failure, we'll need plenty of players next season, for one reason or another.

We are not winning the title in the foreseeable future (5 years) and certainly long-term is not looking much rosier.

Denis79

Interesting that the majority of the answers are quite downbeat yet we still seem to have high expectations for the current squad. Does this mean expectations will be low for whoever does replace Ole? Or would we still expect him to challenge for the league despite most in here accepting it's an incredibly difficult ask with our structure and Pep and Klopp around?
For me it's Ole, I think the squad is good enough to challenge. If we had a proper manager I am convinced that we would be fighting for the title this season.

Winrar

We are a DM, and more importantly a competent manager away from challenging for the title, even favorites.

Question is, how long before we get a competent manager that can make the best of what we have? We're not going to have this squad forever, either.