How long before we win a PL title again?

largelyworried

With the right manager we could win it next year. With the wrong manager, well, not until they're gone.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
10-20 years, unless we are lucky and scrape the odd 1st place once. It will get worse before it gets better imo. Liverpool will dominante a few more years before they suffer the same. Teams with owners who just wants to win like City, Chelsea and Newcastle will fight for 1st for decades.

dal

With the financial power we have, the right manager and coaching staff would have us competing in no time. But I can't help but be convinced that we'll keep appointing duds like Solskjaer and the three before him.
Who would you exactly hire? I don’t think anyone in the cafe had to much of a problem when Ole renewed his contract but 11 games in and it’s hellfire.

I do feel we will go on a run of games now with Maguire coming back to full fitness and Varane due to come back.

We will have a better style of play if we had two better midfielders. With or without Ole I’d want a title within the next two years. In 2019 I said we should aim to Win the title by 2023, I think we are there or there shouts.

lilcurt

We won't win it again until football becomes the primary focus of the club. Despite what is said on investor calls by the crooks, on the pitch success isn't the main ambition of the club at this time.

Attitudes need to change in terms of Prioritising facilities, management of the football side (including and above Ole and his coaches), and long-term planning in terms of squad building and style of play.

I think we can win under the Glazers (as much as I dislike them), as the money still deployed on the football side should have us competitive. The stewards of that money and the decision making is just absolutely shambolic.

Longshanks

Van Gaal was a poor choice, just not suited for the PL. Remember, he was nearly off to spurs before we came in for him so that shows the level he was at! Being sucessful for the national team does not mean you are a good league manager, Coleman did really well with Wales but then failed miserably with Sunderland.

Plus Van Gaal completely gutted the squad and signed so many average players:

Falcao
Di Maria
Rojo
Valdes
Basti
Memphis
Schneiderlin
Darmian
Martial
Herrera

It took us years to clean up his mess
If anything I always felt van gaal was attempting to put us on the right path, he looked to sign technical players who could play to his 'philosophy'. That philosophy was all about dominating possesion and looking after the ball. It wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imaganation but its was putting us on the right path.

Mourinho is the one that has done far more damage. Just shy of 300 mill on Pogba, fred, lukaku, matic and sanchez. All of which have been largely underwhelming. And basically the opposite of the sort of players we should of been looking to sign. 3 of which are a part of our frankly embarrassing midfield right now.

Peter Freedom

Who would you exactly hire? I don’t think anyone in the cafe had to much of a problem when Ole renewed his contract but 11 games in and it’s hellfire.

I do feel we will go on a run of games now with Maguire coming back to full fitness and Varane due to come back.

We will have a better style of play if we had two better midfielders. With or without Ole I’d want a title within the next two years. In 2019 I said we should aim to Win the title by 2023, I think we are there or there shouts.
whatever you’re smoking, I want some too

RedBanker

I love you Ole

Disagree. Several people rightly questioned the extension.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I like that he said the manager and not Ole. Smallest of silver lining but shows that they are considering a change.
He said it because it was the exact opposite of the truth and he knows it.

Bertie Wooster

When Fergie retired, I knew it was going to be a tough few years and quite sometime before we were winning the PL and CL again. And that I'd have to see the likes of City and Liverpool winning them instead. Which, unfortunately, came true.

I did hope that during that time we'd win more of the other cups than we've managed, and that by now we'd be closer to getting back winning the major two. Which, unfortunately, hasn't come true.

As it stands, I'd go for somewhere between options 2 and 3. I really can't see it happening in the next couple of years, but I'd be gutted if we had to wait another ten. I definitely think within 5 years or so is doable, but I'm not confident about it and things would really have to change and improve here, as at least 3 other clubs are in much stronger positions in the present and foreseeable future. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's option 3) longer than 5 years.

Siezard

I think United will win the title when you least expected it.

Chelsea, City and Pool are all not very consistent on a season to season basis. Their performances fluctuate a lot so much so that even Leicester can sneak in with a title.

redrobed

When we have owners that will financially back us in the transfer market - my guess is 5 -10 years.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Before 2030 is realistic. Next year would be great but I just cant see it happening unfortunaly.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm

Chelsea, City and Pool are all not very consistent on a season to season basis. Their performances fluctuate a lot so much so that even Leicester can sneak in with a title.
Have to disagree. City, Chelsea and Pool have won PL every year since 2013-14 with Leicester the only exception 2015-16.
Thats 8 seasons of consistency..

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
We'd have a better chance winning the CL than the league in the next 10 years. Cup games across 2 legs provide some element of unpredictability and we've been the beneficiaries of that before

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
When we have owners that will financially back us in the transfer market - my guess is 5 -10 years.
We are actually well backed, better than teams who have managed to win title.

If anything, financial backing could only be cut in next years if success is too hard to achieve. As someone pointed out before, the right to sit at the table of rich and big is not eternal.

lex talionis

There are too many variables to make a firm prediction. How much longer will Pep and Klopp be able to go through this in the PL?

Bring in a proper manager and we could get there next season.

always_hoping

I fear not in the foreseeable future, could easily do a Liverpool and have a 30 year wait.

Clubs as poorly run as United don't win any highly competitive league titles and the Glazers aren't leaving anytime soon.

Liverpool and Man City are well ran clubs whereby their owners have a strong ambition to win major honours that will continue for those clubs after Pep and Klopp is gone.

mav_9me

Mainly because of the Glazers. Nothing to do with rise of superpowers etc

Micky Targaryen

I see a lot of people saying that our chances of winning the PL will increase when Pep and Klopp eventually leaves, but shouldn't you factor in the fact that City and Liverpool will also appoint world class replacements? This is what big clubs do in regards to succession planning. They don't crawl back into their cocoons and hibernate and start peddling out rebuild myths for years and cling for a damn long time to shitty managers. FOH, only we are allowed to do that.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
I predict that Newcastle will win the league before we win it again. Thats how little my faith is in the current ownership.

Eddy_JukeZ

I could see it easily being another 10-15 years before we win the title again.

I just have zero faith in our current ownership actually wanting to win things.

MUFC OK

I could see it easily being another 10-15 years before we win the title again.

I just have zero faith in our current ownership actually wanting to win things.
Whilst we could win it this year/next with a top class manager - In my opinion it wont be before 2026.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea

Only one team can win the league, come second etc the consistency will never be there in terms of positions with 20 teams in the equation. But given the trophy hauls of the 3 vs Utd.. yeah pretty consistent, thanks.

MattofManchester

Whenever the Glazers decide to leave.

We're not going to get near a title this season, then from there, we're going to have an exodus of players at the season's end and then it's rebuilding all over again.

We're really in a weird kind of freefall atm.

Banana Republic

I’d love it if we had a turnaround and won it next year, or even had a good crack at it and came close, but it ain’t gonna happen.
It looks bleak ATM so it’s easy to feel we’ll be nowhere near for at least the next 5 or 6 seasons.
By then Ronaldo and Cavani will be distant memories, Pogba will be long gone, Varane retired, Bruno will have moved on, Maguire’s legs will be shot, Rashford will have been shunted off and our team will be unrecognisable compared with today.

One things for sure, if things don’t turn around within the next couple of seasons, our financial strength and standing as a top level club could begin to diminish.
As we continue to slide, the income stream will start to shrink and our global appeal will inevitably fade.
Those big sponsorship deals will be harder to find for an also ran, faded giant, who never win anything of significance.
If that happens, we’ll struggle to ever get back to the top again.

Hammondo

I’d love it if we had a turnaround and won it next year, or even had a good crack at it and came close, but it ain’t gonna happen.
It looks bleak ATM so it’s easy to feel we’ll be nowhere near for at least the next 5 or 6 seasons.
By then Ronaldo and Cavani will be distant memories, Pogba will be long gone, Varane retired, Bruno will have moved on, Maguire’s legs will be shot, Rashford will have been shunted off and our team will be unrecognisable compared with today.

One things for sure, if things don’t turn around within the next couple of seasons, our financial strength and standing as a top level club could begin to diminish.
As we continue to slide, the income stream will start to shrink and our global appeal will inevitably fade.
Those big sponsorship deals will be harder to find for an also ran, faded giant, who never win anything of significance.
If that happens, we’ll struggle to ever get back to the top again.

You make some really good points, it's so difficult to see our future and it could go either way.

Green_Red

If we ever get lucky and sign a player like Keano again we have a chance. Until we do we'll just be also rans, like when we had Robbo as captain.

marktan

5-10 years at least. City have a youngish squad and a bigger budget than us, with a bigger squad and Pep in charge. They'll challenge every year for the title for the foreseeable future. We'll need a Liverpool 2019 like season to catch them.

Even Liverpool themselves will struggle this season and they have one of their best ever teams.

We don't have that kind of team. We'll need a similar one to our 2008 team. This one has good players but it's not of the same calibre.

MUFC OK

I’ll say the same thing now that I’ve said several times over the years on this thread: 3-4 years.