How long did it take you

DutchCruijff

Some will say he salvaged that season.
Depends on your standards.

Was "salvaging that season" and "stabilising the situation" for the next 2 years acceptable?

For me, no. I wanted us to be competing for trophies the season after (20/21) and for that, we needed a coach who'd get 19/20 to implement his vision and the summer of '19 and '20 to get his players of choice in.

Remember the geese

From the outset I had doubts that Ole would be the man who could take us to the very top, but I backed him as I genuinely saw slow, but steady progress. The Leicester game was a spot in time. Now it's undeniable that there is no longer any progress and Ole has taken us as far as he can.

Idxomer

I started having major doubts about his abilities when he was still a caretaker. We had a game against Reading in the FA Cup and we got dominated on the ball by a team that wasn't even doing well in the Championship. I thought then that should never happen, especially at Old Trafford.

I won't deny that post-Bruno I got swayed a bit in his favour but the Sevilla tie when he froze tactically and did nothing to change the game till the 88th minute is where I became sure he'll never be good enough and most likely won't win anything with United.

Chairman Steve

There’s many times where I thought he wasn’t good enough to take us where we needed to be. A significant one was him fecking up last seasons CL group which felt like a big moment and the EL final where we looked so fecking lost. I felt it was clear hes not going to be the guy unless he gets amazing individual players that make it foolproof for him to fail.

We get Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo. A dream window for any team. Maybe the sheer individual brilliance can force its way to success? Recent results have shown that is not the case. Its still the same old thing even with better players this past weekend… Greenwood scores a goal straight from the Best of Thierry Henry playbook and Rashford slots home from a great route one ball by Lindelof. Individual Brilliance FC.

I went into this season with high expectations and zero tolerance for feck ups. No more excuses. No more lines about more time, more money, more windows, different coaches etc. He’s been here over 150 games which is ample time for any manager at any club to make their mark on a team. That Leicester game is a point of no return for me though, and I feel a lot of other peoples too. Our last two wins have needed a GOAT to rescue us in the 95th minute and DDG to save a penalty for the first time in forever.

And yeah, that period in 18/19 after he got made permanent was fecking awful. The cherry on top being beaten at home 2-0 by an already relegated Cardiff City.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Debate what? There isn't a debate to be had in here. You can't really have a debate with someone about when exactly they made up their mind about something.

it just another Ole out thread. There's only been about 10 more added since 5 o'clock on Saturday. Flogging a dead horse at this point.
Debate or share their opinions, indeed not the same thing but doubt it changes the message. People want to, why do you exactly have a problem with it.

It isnt just another Ole Out thread though, it's basically when did you realise Ole wasnt the man thread which is from a slightly different perspective. I find it interesting to see what things people pay attention to when judging a/the manager.

This "dead horse", just got a new contract and so has his staff. He isnt going anywhere anytime soon but people are fed up of him being our manager. I think for you it is just bed to ignore or avoid these threads, but saying that, I probably should have ignored your post.

It doesnt seem like you disagree with the content but just the volatility, which you can ignore.

JuriM

First real worrying sign was the final vs Villarreal, but essentially this Leicester match was more standout. We need better game plan and tactical setup to get better results - that relys on management not player quality.

spiriticon

I had my first doubts after the Europa League final but then we had a stonking summer so I thought: "Alright, let's see what he can do here with this team"

Now that I know what he can do, which is sweet feck all, I'm done.

I'm not insistent that Ole is sacked right now, but for the first time, I won't be too against it either if he was.

Andy_Cole

The biggest low was Leipzig. But then after that we went on a title challenge.

Then there was the FA Cup Semi and Europa final losses.

This season Villa was the final straw.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I thought he was a solid appointment to get us back on track but never expected him to be the one to take that final step and have been pretty consistent with that. It was about the timing of that last step, which is abundantly clear that that specific timing has come.

Oranges038

Debate or share their opinions, same thing really right? People want to, why do you exactly have a problem with it.

It isnt just another Ole Out thread though, it's basically when did you realise Ole wasnt the man thread which is from a slightly different perspective. I find it interesting to see what things people pay attention to when judging a/the manager.

This "dead horse", just got a new contract and so has his staff. He isnt going anywhere anytime soon but people are fed up of him being our manager. I think for you it is just bed to ignore or avoid these threads, but saying that, I probably should have ignored your post.

It doesnt seem like you disagree with the content but just the volatility, which you can ignore.

I will be ignoring it, It's like talking to people who just revert to the same topics and talk the same shite over and over.

Skills

Snitch
I will be ignoring it, It's like talking to people who just revert to the same topics and talk the same shite over and over.
What's your issue? If there's something else you think is worth discussing atm, make a thread about it?

flappyjay

...to come to the realisation that Ole was not right for the job? For those that were prepared to give him a chance once he was appointed.

It took a while, about 1 month ago (Sept 2021) in my case. Some are still hanging on to Europa final and second place fumes. But most of them will eventually come around. Except those that will support him into the championship.

So out of random curiosity, when did it dawn on you.
Same. This time around I am truly convinced. I came into this season at maybe 60% Ole in. For top 4 he is fine but we are hunting big game this season and I don't think he is up for the challenge.

weizxx

Europa League final definitely. Unacceptable performance from the coach team.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think that he was right for the job which I had doubts at first due to his lack of experience at that level. I believe that managers aren't equivalent, two managers can be the right appointment at different stages of a club development. Ole was the correct appointment in 2018 or at least he was one of the correct appointments but in 2021 he is most likely not the appropriate manager because we are not in a gentle, smooth growth phase but in a ruthless, every small details matter kind of phase because we are meant to compete directly with the big boys, we are not trying to detach ourselves from the midtable, Europa League hopeful teams.

The moment I realized that he may not be a CL level manager was during his caretaking job, his naivety when it came to rest certain players, like Pogba and Rashford was concerning because it told me that he didn't realize that minutes adds up and that he will pay for it later. Ole isn't proactive, he is reactive and slow, he seems to be able to eventually push the correct buttons which tells me that he isn't clueless but he isn't a top level manager. It's no different to footballers two players may have the exact same technical and physical abilities but the better player will be the one that process information faster and can anticipate problems.

GazTheLegend

Do you know, any "when were you Ole out" people all patting themselves on the back for wanting Ole sacked before anyone else are the absolute pits of the internet. Picking one specific moment as proving your laden profundity as a forum fan, as if that's all that matters.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
The champions league game where Fred should have been hooked at half time after luckily escaping a red card twice. He finally got sent off in the second half and it spelt the end of our CL campaign. It demonstrated a stubbornness past the point of reason.

That's when I truly accepted he's not good enough, but I still thought he'd earnt a another season just to be sure.

Nothing has changed. He's done the job I expected and wanted him to do - I think its fair to thank him for what he has done and part ways now.
This.Awful management.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
...to come to the realisation that Ole was not right for the job? For those that were prepared to give him a chance once he was appointed.

It took a while, about 1 month ago (Sept 2021) in my case. Some are still hanging on to Europa final and second place fumes. But most of them will eventually come around. Except those that will support him into the championship.

So out of random curiosity, when did it dawn on you.
It was early. When he was made permanent and the football slowly got worse, I kinda knew it but still held hope

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Never wanted him full time in the first place. If the reason for people wanting him in the first place is due to his man management, get in a proper coach and have Ole be the assistant manager. We don't need a fecking cheerleader to be the manager.

He's proper shit at man management too if we're being honest. All he does is lie to players that they're a part of his plan while he proceeds to play his favourites even if they're literally injured and even a blind man can tell they're clearly not fit to play.

stevoc

I hated him from the first moment he signed and knew he was not going to be good enough, especially with that fake smile attitude that seemed to go well with the general fan base.

Last year I was actually impressed at times, we were playing some decent footie, but the UEL final got me.
I don't even care about his tactics, man management, in game management and his smile that seems faker than a highway hoe, I just hate he has absolutely zero balls. That's why it seems he lost the players and he'll surely lose his job in 2-4 weeks when this tough run of matches comes to end.

When you don't have the balls to change anything and you play the same shit setup and shit (Some) players week in, week out, there's only one result.
:lol:

So the minute he became caretaker manager you decided you hated him? Why?

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I just knew it wouldn't work from the beginning, the job is just too big for him, and he just didnt have the in game intelligence for him to succeed. Ive said the same thing about Maguire, £80m fee for a £20m (due to current markets) player.

I still gave them the chance to prove me wrong, Ole hasn’t and won’t, Maguire has a little, but largely because he plays so well for England.

If you go back and watch Southampton this season, Sheffield when they were bottom of the league and beat us, you see this similarity in that both teams scored by literally running unchallenged through the middle with not a single challenge from any of our players. Shocking.

RkkMan

I've been ridiculously patient with Ole so for me it was a gradual thing. The first red flag for me was the PSG game he refused to take off Fred when it was clear as day he was walking on egg shells with another yellow card incoming. The second time was the Europe League Final. Ole's in-game management massively disappointed me at a point where I genuinely had faith in his "tactical nous" to win us the trophy as a staunch supporter then. The Young Boys game was the biggest red flag for me I've seen Championship Teams going down to 10 men manage themselves better than we did in that CL tie. The Leicester game is ultimately the game that fully did it for me. I've backed Ole as long as I can but there's absolutely no evidence he's the man to take us forward even if you added Messi and prime Makelele to this team. He's done a solid job steadying the ship and making some top signings but the squad has outgrown him and needs an A level manager to take it to trophy winning levels.

izec

In the first year. After that new manager bounce run, it was clear to me that he has no clue and is all about the vibes and talk.

I dont remember when it was exactly, but i think in his second season, he had an interview after a game and he needed a ridiculous amount of time to realise that it isnt working what he was trying to do. He is so slow that he needs half a season to change something significantly.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Knew for ages he wasnt the best person for the job, far from it, the game there was no coming back from for me was Young Boys...Iv never seen such a cowardly, clueless reaction to going down to ten men in my life. Would of sacked him before he got back to manchester.

The rest of his tenure has been mostly the same, awful football relying on moments of individual brilliance. Not sustainable, not good enough.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think that he was right for the job which I had doubts at first due to his lack of experience at that level. I believe that managers aren't equivalent, two managers can be the right appointment at different stages of a club development. Ole was the correct appointment in 2018 or at least he was one of the correct appointments but in 2021 he is most likely not the appropriate manager because we are not in a gentle, smooth growth phase but in a ruthless, every small details matter kind of phase because we are meant to compete directly with the big boys, we are not trying to detach ourselves from the midtable, Europa League hopeful teams.

The moment I realized that he may not be a CL level manager was during his caretaking job, his naivety when it came to rest certain players, like Pogba and Rashford was concerning because it told me that he didn't realize that minutes adds up and that he will pay for it later. Ole isn't proactive, he is reactive and slow, he seems to be able to eventually push the correct buttons which tells me that he isn't clueless but he isn't a top level manager. It's no different to footballers two players may have the exact same technical and physical abilities but the better player will be the one that process information faster and can anticipate problems.
That first paragraph is a very good way of looking it, I think I share your thoughts on that. In a few years time I think I'll look back very fondly on what Solskjaer's done for the club and what he built after some truly miserable years under Mourinho. We brought him in to steady the ship which I think he did very admirably. Winning trophies under him just looks one step too far.

For me, it looks like Solskjaer's put together a team that's outgrown him, in a sense. On paper, we've got one of the very finest squads in Europe, which is largely down to Solskjaer, but it's becoming increasingly apparent that it'll be down to a better manager to get this squad to perform at the level we expect.

Offsideagain

The Europa League final confirmed what I suspected but all managers must be given a chance. Three years is one hell of a chance.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I posted this when he was first appointed on another man utd forum:

"Once the dust settles and all the euphoria of mourinho going and ole coming in goes away, we'll be worse off than we are now!!.

Look, I love Ole, club legend for me. But ask yourself if any of the top teams around europe, or, any of the teams in the PL would even consider appointing Ole as their manager? The answer would be a big fat NO. So why do we think we would make any difference here? This season is and will be a right off and I can guarantee we will finish 6th.

Anyway, i'm glad its just a caretaker role and we at least appear to have a plan for the summer and to set up a framework and structure in place with a dof.

Just warning posters and fans not to expect a lot with Ole is all."

I think, 3 years later, the point I made in that post still stands. But the infuriating thing, highlighted in bold, is how yet again woodward fecked up by jumping the gun and giving Ole the full time job when it was clear we had the entire summer to make a decision.

Woodzy

I’d say like a lot of people I’ve been on and off towards him since the start. There’s been times where he’s looked like he genuinely could be on to something and then other times like now where he probably should have been sacked.

This is why I don’t think we can afford to take any chances now. Just get rid and start again.

Ultimately though, I just wish he never got the job to begin with.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Was dubious when he got the job full time. It has been a bit up and down with me. Sometimes I think he has convinced me that he is getting there, then he does something really daft and I realise I was right all along.

Cultured left ankle

Yup, hate, you can replace it with anything you want, it's just a word. :)
'hate' is a pretty strong take for someone who is still a legend at the club so it's fair people are pulling you up on it.

For me, this season was make or break. I'd generally enjoyed the ride up to now, but this past month or so has been as bad anything in the post-fergie period. I agree with those mentioning the young boys debacle. even taking the pitch and red card into account, that was a woeful performance entirely on Ole.

The worst thing is that despite the bad performances there's a certainty that nothing really will change - this is the strength and the weakness of Ole. he rarely changes his line up or formation running players into the ground while essentially telling them 'no matter how you play, you'll play'.

Glorio

His freezing during the Europa League final extra time period, the thought started to really crystallise, but I ignored it to give him the benefit of the doubt after such a strong transfer window. With each passing game this season (regardless of results), it's become clearer and clearer.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
It was an odd decision to begin with. People were just blinded by sentiment. His football has been awful since the Bournemouth win as interim. We had three good games under him and that was about enjoyable as it ever was. Losing to Cardiff and Huddersfield at the end of that season should've resulted in his sacking. Terrible appointment but everything we've done is in line with our standards, or lack there of.

Aretak

As others have said, the Europa League final really sealed it in my mind. He completely froze and threw away as good an opportunity to win a trophy as he'll ever have. There had been plenty of signs before that, but not enough to destroy all hope that it might work out.

siw2007

More of a gradual thing, but probably in recent weeks as at this point he no longer has excuses as he has spent and assembled a top selection, he must deliver and the season is already looking to unravel.

I am happy we gave him the chance, I do feel the club handled this well but it’s fast approaching the time to cut ties if we aren’t there now.

AndyMUFC86

I’ve been behind Ole until very recently however, this season has heavily highlighted he’s falling short tactical in game.

what I’d like to see happen is Ole moved into the director of football position. Since Ole took charge it’s been clear he has the clubs best interest at heart. He’s been behind the development of the youth team, made very good signings on the hole and always puts the club first. Unfortunately he falls short in getting the best out of our players on the pitch. So move him into a position we’re he can continue to do what he’s done great so far. Bring in a new manager who can get the best of the players on match day. Anyone else think this could work?

FreddieTheReddie

I wouldn't have given him the job in the first place. I was very happy with the results for awhile in 2019 and it was good to see the team happy again. But after the PSG game it became obvious that it was just a very long new manager bounce. When he got the job permanently, I didn't agree but I was hoping he would prove me wrong. In November, 2019 I definitely wanted him to get sacked but then Bruno arrived and I started to think I was wrong and Ole will achieve something here. We had a very long period of good results with Bruno, it lasted for longer than a year so when worse results came in May, I didn't think it was really serious issue. I wouldn't have sacked him after the Europa final, I still think the results were fine last season, even without a trophy. But now I really think it's over. He was really backed this time and he should be able to show good football now but it's not happening. I also think signing Ronaldo was a mistake. I was very happy when they announced, but only a day earlier I said we should let him go to city and move on. I wanted Sancho very much because I saw him in Dortmund but I don't think he will come good under Ole. And I think the board should act before it's too late, we shouldn't write down this season.

redshaw

Around last years CL exit.

The Leicester game comes with more major mistakes, it's been another year I don't see the learning or improvements to keep this going, there's also a rather big squad problem of his making. It's a catalogue of errors that won't be ending or easing within a reasonable time frame, we don't have 5-10 years for him to come good and it now needs to be passed onto a higher level manager with the players we have.

As good as Ole has been in cleaning the stink of Jose and talk of a change of doing transfers business there's still a lot of similarities to the last 8-9 years of big signings that don't fit a plan, costly players being brought in that don't play, extending contracts to rubbish and the club rewarding the manager with a costly contract that will soon have to be written off.

Last edited: