How long did it take you

studs

As soon as i heard he was going to be caretaker manager. it was one of them things that you feel it wasn't going to be good.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
After we won a couple of games when he first came in.
I told my friend, I hope we don't make him permanent...he's not good enough.
I was genuinely hoping that I was wrong but yeah...

United Hobbit

Sept 19th 2020 I posted "make a sub Ole"

Nov 2nd 2019 I posted "
I still think he needs to go, yes he had a couple of "better" results for a couple of games but then Moyes would do that, it just buys them that bit more time, delaying the inevitable. Norwich and Chelsea arent great defensively so were perfect opponents, I actually thought we would beat Bournemouth as I thought they were really leaky oh no of course they score against us despite not scoring since September. Partizan was hardly a convincing victory. We keep struggling against Brighton lately so I'm not convinced we will win that and Sheffield have a very good defensive record so we will have trouble creating chances against them.

That Klopp vs Ole stat is shocking. I'd be really intrigued to see if he or Pep could sort this lot out"

I was in 2 minds as early as 12th May 2019 apparently....

"
I think the board has a huge huge decision to make- what if we back him, give him say unlimited funds to sign players of his choosing and to get rid of who he wants- yet are serving up this "performance" 6 months into the new season?
But the other question is if he signs his own players and can ship out those who are costing us can he turn it around? Is it too much of a risk to take that he may be able to turn it around on signing his own players?
I honestly couldn't decide either way. Also if we did sack him who do we get? Will they then know immediately who to ship out having not worked with the players or will the players get another "grace period" while they are assessed?
The players were so actively wanting Ole to yet serve this up as soon as he's made permanent. Also some of what Ole says is starting to worry me, it was really refreshing when he first came in but is borderline sounding defeated like Moyes.

I honestly couldn't call what should be done."

Irwin99

When we won that PSG game in the Champions League and everyone was going absolutely insane, including Rio who was telling us to write him a blank check and that 'United were back' and 'Ole's at the wheel'

Everyone says but we won, we won, just enjoy it don't be so miserable, you want us to fail.

Reality is we played absolutely garbage that match, and PSG hit the woodwork a ridiculous amount of times and they absolutely played us off the park
Smalling had the game of his life as well. Astonishing performance from him and Shaw if i remember correctly. You're right though. That was one of the best feelings I had as a United fan for a long time but it was really a massive smash and grab robbery. It was the only way we were going to win it and its was glorious but it was a miracle.

MUFC OK

Not long for me. It was when he went from 4-3-3, which got found out and he went to 5-3-2 to steady the ship and to stop leaking goals, which got found out vs Partizan in the EL, this was the moment I realised he is severely limited tactically and when I realised he's not up to it.
Youre going to LOVE what he has in store for us come sunday :lol:

As for the OP, for me it was around the time we lost the EL final and I consider that I'd been very patient. Realistically the exit at the group stages after 9 pts from the first 3 games was unforgivable. Yet we have Neville who thinks we should be content with dropping down again.

One thing that I hate to see, and we saw it with Moyes, LVG and Jose towards the end as well, is when things are clearly going wrong and he's sat in the dugout with the look of "I don't know how to turn this around" etched across his face. That has definitely been seen this season.

Mike Smalling

I thought it was a bad idea to hire him on the basis of a fluke win against PSG, but since then my belief in Ole as our manager has gone up and down. It probably peaked with our good form after lockdown in the 19/20 season. We had gotten Bruno in, Pogba was playing well, Greenwood truly emerged, Maguire stepped up, etc. We played really well, and I actually thought it might go somewhere.

The lowest point is now. I don't think there has been a bigger discrepancy between squad quality and performances under Ole than this current season. I have never been more Ole out.

...to come to the realisation that Ole was not right for the job? For those that were prepared to give him a chance once he was appointed.

It took a while, about 1 month ago (Sept 2021) in my case. Some are still hanging on to Europa final and second place fumes. But most of them will eventually come around. Except those that will support him into the championship.

So out of random curiosity, when did it dawn on you.
He was literally flavour of the month during his first month in charge as interim. I thought it was a mistake to appoint him on the back of that. The nostalgia and Rio calling to make him permanent manager I felt was a mistake.

When he was appointed permanent manager I thought he’d be the manager before the manager who’d take us to success, but simply because he was spending money on quality players although I thought Maguire for £80m showed a lack of ambition and was going for a safe bet, so many POTENTIALLY better & younger CB in the French and German leagues. But I understood the logic considering our previous transfers. So it was good to build a team for the now and next few years

Over the seasons I’ve not seen him change or improve. The first time I became aware of his match game limitations was actually a match we won. It was his while he was interim and we played spurs. We took the lead but then for 60 minutes Spurs bombarded us and had like 20 shots on target. They were cutting through us like a hot knife through butter and Ole just froze, clearly hoping DDG wouldn’t get beaten and hoping we’d get a counter. When he finally made a change it was very late and basically put the lukaku on the wing which made no difference.

I knew that’s something that would never change about him as it’s an X factor that people have or don’t and can’t be learnt only improved with experience , but I hoped I’d be wrong. Unfortunately, almost, 3 years later he’s still the same.

Also our players are not improving tactically. As I’ve said before… yes some are improving according to their natural ability. But Rashford is basically the same player he was when only took over with points increase in the things he was already good at and that you’d expect to improve regardless of coaching.

MUFC OK

He was literally flavour of the month during his first month in charge as interim. I thought it was a mistake to appoint him on the back of that. The nostalgia and Rio calling to make him permanent manager I felt was a mistake.

When he was appointed permanent manager I thought he’d be the manager before the manager who’d take us to success, but simply because he was spending money on quality players although I thought Maguire for £80m showed a lack of ambition and was going for a safe bet, so many POTENTIALLY better & younger CB in the French and German leagues. But I understood the logic considering our previous transfers. So it was good to build a team for the now and next few years

Over the seasons I’ve not seen him change or improve. The first time I became aware of his match game limitations was actually a match we won. It was his while he was interim and we played spurs. We took the lead but then for 60 minutes Spurs bombarded us and had like 20 shots on target. They were cutting through us like a hot knife through butter and Ole just froze, clearly hoping DDG wouldn’t get beaten and hoping we’d get a counter. When he finally made a change it was very late and basically put the lukaku on the wing which made no difference.

I knew that’s something that would never change about him as it’s an X factor that people have or don’t and can’t be learnt only improved with experience , but I hoped I’d be wrong. Unfortunately, almost, 3 years later he’s still the same.

Also our players are not improving tactically. As I’ve said before… yes some are improving according to their natural ability. But Rashford is basically the same player he was when only took over with points increase in the things he was already good at and that you’d expect to improve regardless of coaching.
It's funny because you've mentioned 4 players there, all of whom have arguably been awfully mismanaged by OGS. Maguire and Rashford have both have been hugely overplayed and suffered injuries. He clearly favoured Henderson when both he and DDG were fit and probably would have started the season this year with him despite the fact most fans knew he would never reach DDG's standards.

He also sold Lukaku and favoured Martial up front only to realise he wasn't a real striker and has since signed Ighalo, Cavani ad now Ronaldo. It's actually nuts.

It's funny because you've mentioned 4 players there, all of whom have arguably been awfully mismanaged by OGS. Maguire and Rashford have both have been hugely overplayed and suffered injuries. He clearly favoured Henderson when both he and DDG were fit and probably would have started the season this year with him despite the fact most fans knew he would never reach DDG's standards.

He also sold Lukaku and favoured Martial up front only to realise he wasn't a real striker and has since signed Ighalo, Cavani ad now Ronaldo. It's actually nuts.
I think selling lukaku was a good decision, and at the time many United fans wanted martial and rashford over Lukaku. My problem with lukaku is the same as my problem with Kane, old school number 9s, you have to cater to them too much and it limits goals from other areas. Plus with lukaku, pretty much every big game I watch he gets marked out very easily.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Always supported him and thought he would do a good job turning the squad around, never really believed he’d win anything of significance but still ignorant maybe. I think now is the time it’s over.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Just the last few weeks has broken me. I’ve been supporting him up to last weekend. Just looking on waiting for the inevitable now. I really thought he was building a good young team and then we needed Cavani to save us so many times… right let’s keep going. Then we sign Ronaldo. We were poor before we signed him but we are worse now. We should be looking for long term solutions instead of grasping at nostalgia. Season is almost a write off already.

InfiniteBoredom

I never wanted him to be made permanent to begin with, but was on the fence for most of 19-20. The straw that broke the camel's back was the 1-1 home draw against West Ham at the end of that season. The subsequent win away at Leicester the following week to secure CL football didn't matter. We had the chance to do it at home and bungled it up against a then relegation candidate, that's all you need to know that there was no real cultural reset, we were the same bunch of bottlers we've been since Fergie left and the whole of 20/21 did nothing to change that conclusion.

MUFC OK

I think selling lukaku was a good decision, and at the time many United fans wanted martial and rashford over Lukaku. My problem with lukaku is the same as my problem with Kane, old school number 9s, you have to cater to them too much and it limits goals from other areas. Plus with lukaku, pretty much every big game I watch he gets marked out very easily.
Ironically Ronaldo is now more an old school number 9. I wasn't hugely against that decision either but in hindsight I think Lukaku's play against teams that sit back was sorely missed after he left.

Eddy_JukeZ

Never wanted him.

But Jose coming to Old Trafford and putting 6 past us is when I wanted him sacked and was convinced he wasn't the man.

lex talionis

I was staggered by the mismanagement of the squad against Villareal in the EL cup final, but I convinced myself that because we had already qualified for the CL that Ole let his standards slip. But when we dropped points against against mediocre squad through the Everton match I realized that Ole's standards hadn't slipped -- those are his standards.

Jacob

It was as soon as our counter attacking football was found out. Ever since he has failed to come up with alternative plans and therefore good performances and results.

AFC NimbleThumb

The consecutive 2-1 losses to Wolves after he was made manager, then the 2-1 loss to Palace to start the next season but the point at which I truly doubled down on disdain was Sevilla. The fact fans were falling over themselves to justify that loss because ‘progress’ truly made me reach the point. He’s a habit of pissing all over the fans then telling us it’s raining, he’s been out of he depth for some time, but ‘progress’.

iato89

Almost from day one they gave him a new contract, tried to believe slightly but couldnt. That famous 2-0 loss vs burnley was the ultimate confirmation

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The Southampton game was such a deflating result. After the high of twatting Leeds, the new signings, we then had to go and turn out that dross and ruin all that momentum. You knew that we hadn’t actually turned the corner we hoped we might have, which just killed everything.

For me though I think the Villa game was the final straw. It was clear we hadn’t learned from any of last seasons mistakes. Results and performances since have just cemented that.

It’s a massive shame because I was totally behind Ole going into the season, and I thought loads more would’ve been had one of those penalties gone differently. We were one kick away from a European trophy, finished 3rd and then 2nd, we were progressing year on year. I was still behind him on the condition we continued that trajectory. But now even after only 7 games, it’s clear we aren’t progressing. Ole has no excuses now, he’s been backed heavily, yet the same problems remain. And if he can’t solve those issues for us, then we need to find someone who can.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He is perfect for the job. The problem has always been that the job is not to win things but to keep the fans happy and the club in the top four. That will be true of his replacement as well.

How long will it take you to realise that the manager is a symptom and not the problem? Is structural thinking such a big ask?

Ironically Ronaldo is now more an old school number 9. I wasn't hugely against that decision either but in hindsight I think Lukaku's play against teams that sit back was sorely missed after he left.
Yeah Ronaldo has become like the fox in the box who can score great goals from outside the box. Key is to provide him chances, but still have a way of playing that gives others regular chances to score.

MrSingh2002

The second he was linked with the caretaker role.

You can check my post history.

frostbite

September 2021. I was really hoping that he will learn on the job. It happens sometimes, someone gets a job he is not really qualified for , but he works hard and succeeds. Unfortunately , this is not the case with Ole, he is not improving.

In retrospect it was obvious last January , we were top of the league but his attitude was already defeatist. I think he knows he is not good enough.

soapythecat

Didn’t fancy Moyes. LVG seemed a good option but clearly wasn’t. Jose was always going to be trouble and Ole always has and always will be woefully under qualified for the job.
I just hope I get a better feeling for the next man because the last 8 years have been horrendous.
For me, the day Ole scraped a win against PSG and it dawned on me he’d get the gig full time. Dark times because his style unravelled shortly after.

croadyman

...to come to the realisation that Ole was not right for the job? For those that were prepared to give him a chance once he was appointed.

It took a while, about 1 month ago (Sept 2021) in my case. Some are still hanging on to Europa final and second place fumes. But most of them will eventually come around. Except those that will support him into the championship.

So out of random curiosity, when did it dawn on you.
When he didn't bring in the experienced coaching to help him after being appointed permanently, however after seeing a post earlier today I realised the reason that never happened was because he was scared of bringing in people who would expose his tactical ineptness. So that's why he took the cautious Carol option of just bringing in the Utd old boys club as they wouldn't say boo to a goose about his faults.

Robaldo

First in December 2019 (think we had just drawn at home to Villa), but then I put on my rose-tinted glass. And then last month (again after a home game against Villa). The loss against Villarreal prompted some level of realisation too.

All in all, anytime we play a Villa(rreal).

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I knew there were signs last season but I had given him the benefit of the doubt because he wasn't backed in the transfer window. However, this season he was backed to the hilt in the transfer market, plus its been 3 years now that he's had to get the players working as a unit and he has utterly failed.

Young boys and the villa game really did it for me, the manner in which we lost was totally unacceptable. It is one thing to lose it is another to get outpassed and outmaneuvered by mid table teams and fecking young boys and it wasn't a one off occurance, infact it has become a regular occurance. Even the games we won we rode our luck at times, every win seems like a struggle except against leeds. When was the last time we wen't 2 nil up at half time and cruised to full time dominating possession ?

Ole's ceiling is scrapping for the top 4 with leicester. Now with newcastle being blessed with endless pits of cash even that will get tricky to achieve in a couple of years.

And did i mention that Ole's comment about trophies not being important really was a massive red flag. Why are we competing for it then ? Might aswell drop out of the cl, fa cup and league cup and concentrate on top 4 in the league. I'd rather win one of those trophies and finish 4th instead of finishing 2nd without trophies.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Europa League final

League cup this season - Our only chance of a trophy this season and we don't take it seriously and go out.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Start of the full lockdown season. It was obvious nothing had changed after his shambles of a first year and it was a matter of time until the chickens came home to roost.

I was called negative and impatient and that people were pointing to him scrapping results when our rivals were faltering in his defence. Threads were being locked for being negative and premature.

Well, what a surprise that a year on from that time, shite football and lack of an obvious and targeted style of play is slowly leading us to a trophyless season with one of the best squads anyone in Europe has had in the past
ten years.

Damon1559

I was shocked when he was named as interim manager in the first place but when he was permanently appointed, I supported him as best I could.
I fear that the club will take too long to act and another season will be lost now. I cannot fathom how his staff's contracts are in the process of being extended either, which ultimately hints at the fact that the club aren't prepared to let him go any time soon!

Greck

One month into his tenure when I saw we weren't working on a style of play. If you remember the "needs a preseason/fitness' excuse was still in vogue at the time. Goodness his time here has been an excuse factory. You can't convince the faithfuls our lack of playstyle has nothing to do with signings, backings or some minor handicap we encounter like a shorter preseason. Some of these guys were calling the Jose fans cultist only to surpass them.

Redlyn

One month into his tenure when I saw we weren't working on a style of play. If you remember the "needs a preseason/fitness' excuse was still in vogue at the time. Goodness his time here has been an excuse factory. You can't convince the faithfuls our lack of playstyle has nothing to do with signings, backings or some minor handicap we encounter like a shorter preseason. Some of these guys were calling the Jose fans cultist only to surpass them.
You mean while we were on a crazy winning streak? I think most people even the skeptics about his credentials withheld judgement during that period.

Strelok

For me it was until he subbed Cavani in the 55th minute for Ronaldo.

I don't mind the results, every managers have bad periods when things don't go their way, and good periods when things go their way.

I don't care about the tactical shit talk PE teacher around here and on the Internet either. Most of those have no idea about what they're talking anyway. It's not like anyone here or in the internet had enough experience or knowledge at the top level to have a say about. Including me.

But that incident showed me that this man has no balls. Such man will never be the guy who would manage the huge egos of the megastars nor would instill a winning mentality enough to lead us to big silverwares.

I love Ole and he's our legend. But it's time for a change imo. The sooner the better.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I flip flopped alot - it was the EL final last year that broke me.
2nd rate euro trophy against a 2nd rate team - He Froze.

Greck

You mean while we were on a crazy winning streak? I think most people even the skeptics about his credentials withheld judgement during that period.
I think my posting history is public if you care (just don't cherrypick posts outside their contexts pls). I don't know if it was a full month but it was definitely january. It wasn't yet popular to openly criticse Ole but I know I said on here I was worried about having no style of play and we should wait to make him a permanent manager. We actually started putting in questionable performances long before the results tailed off. One that really stuck out was that Spurs fixture when we played the whole game in our halves for defensive counterattack. I was mad when we renewed because it came off the back of two defeats. Not necessarily because of the defeats per se but because the results had finally caught up to the poor performances but the club still ignored it.