How long until Ole issues a message we won't be spending in January?

C'est Moi Cantona

January is a rubbish window, we all know it, and if we did sign someone it'd only likely be the wrong the player long term, or we'd just be taken to the cleaners, which would then hinder us in the summer.

Gary Neville talked crap about it last night, we likely won't sign anyone, and it'll probably be for the best, the time to buy was in the summer, but we for whatever reason just left the squad ridiculously short, it was obvious to anyone that the midfield was going to struggle, and the damage has already been done for this season, just limp on with that we've got, and try and sign 'the right players' in the summer.

Irwin99

Before the summer he talked about wanting 6 players but it wasn't realistic iirc. He then has the choice of doing a Mourinho and say we're fecked before the season even starts or try to boost the morale of the squad by saying he is happy with it. Easy choice in my opinion.
Fair enough, though saying top 4 was his and the club's aim looks a little optimistic with this squad at this moment. It would have been perceived as negative if he had said otherwise but equally it looks very optimistic in hindsight.

Nickelodeon

January is a rubbish window, we all know it, and if we did sign someone it'd only likely be the wrong the player long term, or we'd just be taken to the cleaners, which would then hinder us in the summer.

Gary Neville talked crap about it last night, we likely won't sign anyone, and it'll probably be for the best, the time to buy was in the summer, but we for whatever reason just left the squad ridiculously short, it was obvious to anyone that the midfield was going to struggle, and the damage has already been done for this season, just limp on with that we've got, and try and sign 'the right players' in the summer.
I think this is a fallacy especially if you've done your scouting right. We always have the obvious examples of Vidic and Evra to quote for a successful Jan window signing but even in recent years, players like Van Dijk, Jesus, Suarez were all signed during this time. It is only against direct competition or players who have some title challenge or something similar at stake are the ones who are going to be tricky to recruit. So if we really want to do it, we'll get it done but doesn't seem like the there's any intent from our side atm.

Bestietom

So just Limp on and don't even try to sign anyone in January. That would be putting a rope around his own neck for Ole. We need 1 midfielder at least, and a striker, if we are going to have any chance of winning Europa League, which is now our best avenue into Champions League. If we don't bring anyone in we might as well forget the whole season, and Ole is gone.

C'est Moi Cantona

So just Limp on and don't even try to sign anyone in January. That would be putting a rope around his own neck for Ole. We need 1 midfielder at least, and a striker, if we are going to have any chance of winning Europa League, which is now our best avenue into Champions League. If we don't bring anyone in we might as well forget the whole season, and Ole is gone.
So it took the season to actually start to work out we were short of a midfielder and striker? because my pet dog had this one worked out when we did feck all about it all summer, so I dread to think what that says about the people running the club, and if the excuse then was that the 'right players' weren't available, or that there was 'no value', then sure as hell there won't be in January either.

C'est Moi Cantona

I think this is a fallacy especially if you've done your scouting right. We always have the obvious examples of Vidic and Evra to quote for a successful Jan window signing but even in recent years, players like Van Dijk, Jesus, Suarez were all signed during this time. It is only against direct competition or players who have some title challenge or something similar at stake are the ones who are going to be tricky to recruit. So if we really want to do it, we'll get it done but doesn't seem like the there's any intent from our side atm.
To be fair Vidic and Evra took until the following season to show their worth, so would do no good for us now, which is surely the point given our current plight, and the ground work had been done for Van Dijk & Jesus already, we just don't work like that.

If we do it it'll be reactionary, expensive, and likely wrong, and will go against everything we said we don't want to do anymore.

Foxbatt

It probably would not make of a difference unless the injured players are not able to make a comeback. Most of the good players are already in the CL and the clubs won't sell. Longstaff is still available. :)

Nickelodeon

To be fair Vidic and Evra took until the following season to show their worth, so would do no good for us now, which is surely the point given our current plight, and the ground work had been done for Van Dijk & Jesus already, we just don't work like that.

If we do it it'll be reactionary, expensive, and likely wrong, and will go against everything we said we don't want to do anymore.
Which is exactly my point. We can't blame the January transfer window for not having a plan. Reinforcements are clearly needed in terms of the two CMs who've left our squad in this calendar year as well as in the forwards department. And we knew this the day the previous window ended. So if we don't strengthen and miss out on our goals due to the lack of depth in our squad, we only have ourselves to blame and can't use the perennial excuse that there's no value in January.

oz insomniac

With Woodys infallible drawn out transfer negotiations, the January transfer window wouldn't be long enough to sign 1 player certainly not 2 or 3.

The need for a central midfielder and defensive reinforcements is long standing, and yet we watch the Glazers take little interest other than to draw dividends from their non investmenot, and Woody making media announcements about so called intentions and how Champins League should be there after this season. There doesn't appear to be any confidence at all in Ed to get things done , or instal something as necessary as screens . Tip, dont hold your breath

Eric's Seagull

Agreeee with what you say if we don'y sign anybody and don't get far in the Europa League. I think some fan's will come out saying Ole should have bought player "x", "y" or "z".
I think that if we want to win the Europe which I agree is our best chance of getting in the Champions League next year we we need to sign players, I think we are too far behind to qualify through the League already. If we were to win the Europa with this squad, we would need a lot of luck with injuries, something I don't see happening. Hence the need for signings in January preferably at least a striker and 1 midfielder.

Eric's Seagull

With Woodys infallible drawn out transfer negotiations, the January transfer window wouldn't be long enough to sign 1 player certainly not 2 or 3.

The need for a central midfielder and defensive reinforcements is long standing, and yet we watch the Glazers take little interest other than to draw dividends from their non investmenot, and Woody making media announcements about so called intentions and how Champins League should be there after this season. There doesn't appear to be any confidence at all in Ed to get things done , or instal something as necessary as screens . Tip, dont hold your breath
I agree with your post especially the part in old. Especially the part in bold as that is what I mentioned in another post. Woodward had the whole of the last window and in 3 months he managed to sign 3 players. I have no faith in him getting us the 2 players we need at a minimum in 1 month.

Le Red

If we don't sign a midfielder to replace the deadweight trio Pereira/Lingard/Mata, I am going to snap.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Talk that we're scrappi g plans for a LB due to Williams emergence (good) and Pogba being like a "world class signing" when he comes back.

Nothing happening in Jan boys.

Eric's Seagull

Talk that we're scrappi g plans for a LB due to Williams emergence (good) and Pogba being like a "world class signing" when he comes back.

Nothing happening in Jan boys.
Although Pogba being like a "world class signing" when he comes back. I don't think that necessarily means we won't be getting another midfielder.

I know it is going to be hard and it's not looking promising but I think we will try to sign someone even if it is loan as our squad is so thin and we won't want to be in this situation again if Pogba was to sustain another injury.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I have a feeling we won't sign anyone despite being linked with everybody under the sun.
We will get the usual excuses, no value available etc etc.
I hope I'm wrong as I believe even one good signing could lift us.

Bondi77

It is funny as well that the blokes on United Stand know we will not buy anyone but they will still do a daily show on who we might get.

Colin Clarke

What amazes me is how Uniteds recruitment department get their work done. They should have been started on next season's recruitments now, not in the summer. Informal enquiries, chats with Chairmen etc, real proper assessments of possible recruits. We se to leave everything til the last minute. There are a few possible deals available in January but if the groundwork hadn't been done properly already we have no chance of signings the way our club works.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Probably around the point where it becomes apparent to him that the players he wants are not available in January. But carry on.

Hawks2008

I can already hear Ed's briefs for the 1st of February: 'january a difficult window to operate in/will not pay over the odds'

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
As we can't keep a straight face with the "happy with the squad" line, it definitely has to be "right players weren't available"

But then the summer will be "difficult" as it's a tournament summer.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What amazes me is how Uniteds recruitment department get their work done. They should have been started on next season's recruitments now, not in the summer. Informal enquiries, chats with Chairmen etc, real proper assessments of possible recruits. We se to leave everything til the last minute. There are a few possible deals available in January but if the groundwork hadn't been done properly already we have no chance of signings the way our club works.
We all think this takes place, as we don't want to be "naïve", but then you make 3 signings, two of them are the highest price, best known English players in their position!

Josep Dowling

The winter window is notoriously hard to get exactly the players you want especially if their clubs are going well and in with a shout for silverware. Players like Sancho, Haaland etc won't be going anywhere in January. Emre Can might be an option but otherwise you are looking for other fringe players who aren't getting a game or players from clubs who are financially strapped. At the moment I find it hard to believe any top class player or prospect will look at United and say "That's a situation I want to buy into". We are offering little more than big wages at the moment.
Players like Sancho and Haaland aren’t what we need right now. We need some experienced players not more inconsistent youngsters. And anyway Sancho won’t be coming in our current state and would be stupid to spend our entire budget on one player when we need at least 5-6 players.

spiriticon

I don't know why you guys hope for the January window.

It's usually a dead market.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Players like Sancho and Haaland aren’t what we need right now. We need some experienced players not more inconsistent youngsters. And anyway Sancho won’t be coming in our current state and would be stupid to spend our entire budget on one player when we need at least 5-6 players.
Håland is the definition of consistency.

hobbers

The amount we spend will probably be very indicative of whether Ole will be sacked by the summer.

I seriously doubt we'll see any long-term signings. It'll be quick fixes on short contracts if we do get anyone at all.

Betson

There is going to be some reaction here when Ole comes out in January and says he is happy with the squad he has and does not need to spend in January as the players we have can get better.