How long will it take for ETH to make up his mind about these players?

fastwalker

If it is indeed that ETH is planning to give each of the players remaining in his squad, a chance to prove themselves, how long do you think it should take for a manager to make an informed judgement?

Of course it is slightly confusing because ETH should have plenty of information about his squad based on the statistics that are readily available to him as well as the information that Ralf Rangnick would have left. But for the sake of argument, let's say that he completely disregards all of that in favour of the superiority of his own judgement, how quickly would it take for you to reach a conclusion? First 10 games? Half a season? Longer perhaps? Or would your judgements be based largely on application, aptitude and attitude in training?

Setting aside whether or not any of these players deserve a second chance or not, what do you think realistic and fair?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He'll have some of them figured out by the end of the week if he knows what he's doing

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Mate, it doesn't take a genius to work out that certain players are not good enough, especially if ETH asks to see Ralf R's notes.
In reality, it'll probably take about half a season. No more.
That won't make any difference though - we are going to hang on to the deadwood because those players are assets. The club won't want to see these assets sold for peanuts, so they'll hang onto them until they force their way out.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If it is indeed that ETH is planning to give each of the players remaining in his squad, a chance to prove themselves, how long do you think it should take for a manager to make an informed judgement?

Of course it is slightly confusing because ETH should have plenty of information about his squad based on the statistics that are readily available to him as well as the information that Ralf Rangnick would have left. But for the sake of argument, let's say that he completely disregards all of that in favour of the superiority of his own judgement, how quickly would it take for you to reach a conclusion? First 10 games? Half a season? Longer perhaps? Or would your judgements be based largely on application, aptitude and attitude in training?

Setting aside whether or not any of these players deserve a second chance or not, what do you think realistic and fair?
Im not sure he will take much notice of Ralfs notes. I mean he only afforded Ralf a phone call when Ralf wanted to meet in person.

He will draw his own conclusions and I expect a few surprises to happen if Im honest

ThanksBoss26

Im not sure he will take much notice of Ralfs notes. I mean he only afforded Ralf a phone call when Ralf wanted to meet in person.

He will draw his own conclusions and I expect a few surprises to happen if Im honest
Same. Probably a couple will emerge that he thinks he can use rather than moving them on.

I can imagine the touring squad will be quite large and it will be confirmed to a good number when we return that they're not in the plans.

Expect August will see departures but hoping for some before then.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
What difference does it make how long he takes to make his mind up?
He is stuck with pretty much all of them with maybe two or 3 additions, and maybe 1 or two leaving.
So he has to make to and make the best of it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He is stuck with pretty much all of them with maybe two or 3 additions, and maybe 1 or two leaving.
Not forever. Or do you think he will only be the manager for this season?

RedDevilQuebecois

Hopefully he does a Herb Brooks and will trim the squad down by a lot on the first day. Anyone not meeting ETH's criteria should serve time with the Reserves until otherwise specified.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's got his hands full to say the least
But in clearing out Pogba, Lingard, Mata and Matic we've saved him a lot of issues there. All for different reasons but all 4 of those were a constant and tedious source of moans last year.

George The Best

Mate, it doesn't take a genius to work out that certain players are not good enough, especially if ETH asks to see Ralf R's notes.
In reality, it'll probably take about half a season. No more.
That won't make any difference though - we are going to hang on to the deadwood because those players are assets. The club won't want to see these assets sold for peanuts, so they'll hang onto them until they force their way out.
Nobody is interested in our deadwood due to the stupid wages they’ve been given. Some of our multi-millionaires sit on the bench, if they are unlucky. Otherwise they have the week off to do whatever - whilst being paid a fortune

wolvored

Exactly. He might get 4 tops through the door and maybe another couple leave, but the vast bulk will be here for the season.

caid

I think he's probably decided to dump a few already. They'll be used throughout the season and might make the team due to others being worse and them being impossible to sell but i think he'll move a chunk of them on first chance he can replace them basically. I'd expect a few others to be on thin ice straight off the bat too.

Loon

:lol:
Well, presumably he intends to replace players with the new ones he has requested, so I’d say some are already dead in the water if negotiations succeed.

cyril C

As in the case of most loanee joining summer training, it will take at most 2 months to decide if someone should stay or go. This is probably base on their attitude and limited performance during training and pre-season. Add 1-2 games into the season, majority of players should know their place and priority in ETH's mind.

UnitedFire

Transfer tactics should be loan all the shit you can till Jan when the market is tough for most teams to buy and prices are higher. We can thus create a market by ditching our shit in Jan when its the best of a bad bunch.

Get the good shit now.

fallengt

Does it matter? He's stuck with them for at least another season. Maybe two or three more who knows, our board can't replace players even if ETH wants them to.

Daengophile

The short answer is about 5 minutes.

The long answer is that he can't do anything about it until the winter transfer window

I would imagine that he will sit down at his desk one day in October and read Rangnick's handover notes and subsequently realise that he could have saved himself a lot of time

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The short answer is about 5 minutes.

The long answer is that he can't do anything about it until the winter transfer window

I would imagine that he will sit down at his desk one day in October and read Rangnick's handover notes and subsequently realise that he could have saved himself a lot of time
Or think what a piece of shit analysis and bins it for good.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He's got his hands full to say the least
But in clearing out Pogba, Lingard, Mata and Matic we've saved him a lot of issues there. All for different reasons but all 4 of those were a constant and tedious source of moans last year.
They would do well here at the Caf.

pawanraj

If Ten Hag is as anal about tactics and instructions as the media seems to say, a bunch of current starters' won't be starters for too long... Shaw, Rashford, Martial, McTominay, and perhaps even Bruno.

Daengophile

Or think what a piece of shit analysis and bins it for good.
EtH doesn't strike me as someone who gives up

That said, if he's not getting the funding he was promised, I don't think he'd set himself up for failure either

Ole'sattheWheel

If Ten Hag is as anal about tactics and instructions as the media seems to say, a bunch of current starters' won't be starters for too long... Shaw, Rashford, Martial, McTominay, and perhaps even Bruno.
Disagree on Shaw. He looked competent in a rigid system in the Euros for England. I don't think tactical/instructional understanding are his weak points (I recall Mourinho saying he plays best when he's told exactly what to do from the sidelines).
More just about mentality with him I think

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Not forever. Or do you think he will only be the manager for this season?
I hope he is here for a long term. We need continuity.
But changing the squad is going to be a very gradual process. Changing out maybe 3 or 4 players a summer max. So your still looking at about half this squad being here in about 3 years.

cyril C

Ajax is not a team of super stars, it is a team of players of various quality, willing to work hard.

So the 1st match, whether friendly or competitive, will tell. If someone does not have the attitude for it, it is instant.

Then there is the question of wiling Vs ability. If someone works hard, practise hard, but simply can match ETH's expectation, then it may take several months to convince. It is also down to coaching team ability to help these category of players. Take CR as example, do you think he can/will run 10KM per game? So somehow ETH needs to make the best with what he has, energy-wise and ability-wise, to win.

My assessment on Rangkick is that he gave up in the middle, either because his coaching team was simply not experienced/good enough, or he is too old to do everything himself.

At some point ETH would probably say HE is not going to make it, and he is my weakest link, so some action is required.

wolvored

We will have lost 5 already by the start of the season, so if we shift another 2 I think that will be it. Periera and Henderson temporarily look like they might be off. Maybe a LB and maybe a CD, but that would be 9 and thats a lot of leavers.

Glow

It's not only a question of who ATH might want to get rid of to but also who will be loaned out and who will he keep in the first team squad for his first season. I think young players like Laird, Garner, Amad, Pellistri, Williams, Chong, Pereira, Mengi, Shirtire, Hannibal, Levitt... and also some of the acadamy players hopes they can impess in the preseason and be a part of the first team squad this season.

Chief123

Love him already. Name and shaming players in the training ground.

wangyu

It only took him 2 competitive games to make the necessary changes. Ruthless.

Skills

Snitch
You guys really wank yourself off to the thought of a dictator like figure managing us don't you?

He seems precisely the opposite if you hear him for speak for more than 30 seconds.

davidmichael

I’d imagine he already knows who he wants to keep in the squad, who he wants rid of and who he’s going to keep for this season to see if he can coach them into the type of player he’d want after this season as from everything I’ve read and seen ETH is said to be very meticulous in planning to the point he’s football obsessed.

RedDevil@84

I hope the board sticks with manager, when some players will eventually down tools because they can't take the pressure.

mu4c_20le

I hope the board sticks with manager, when some players will eventually down tools because they can't take the pressure.
What pressure? It's the managers job to keep them motivated and hungry. It's also where previous managers failed. Unless you mean physically, then they will be phased out.

fps

Perfect way to deal with a shocking opening to the season. Are the players serious or not? But you only get so many of those shock and awe moments before they wear thin. Hopefully a standard has now been set.

Marcelinho87

You guys really wank yourself off to the thought of a dictator like figure managing us don't you?

He seems precisely the opposite if you hear him for speak for more than 30 seconds.
Difference between a dictator and a manager with authority - Without the authority he won't command the respect and without the respect he is doomed to fail.