How long will Liverpool's dominance last?

djembatheking

Depends how you look at it. Its not the most successfull team this year (Real is), but they dominate pretty much every game they play though, and was really close to a quaddruple. They are really unlucky City being just as good, if not slightly better (debatable) Im sure it will be like that for a few more seasons.
Are you Michael Owen?

90 + 5min

I still wonder, what dominance? In what way? This is since Klopp came to Liverpool in 2015.

Won
Premier League 1
Champions League 1
Carabao Cup 1
TheFa Cup 1
UEFA Super Cup 1
FIFA Club World Cup 1

Thelongsleevesofblomqvist

Come on, City and Liverpool have been dominating English football for five years. Hopefully it doesnt last much more and then they didnt manage to capatilize that much.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Liverpool will sink like a stone once Klopp leaves; perhaps not as horrid as 1990-2004 (I guess 2001 was decent), but they will become just another Top7 club if they sign the wrong manager.

City is the club that worries me; neverending money to sign the best players and hottest managers.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I still wonder, what dominance? In what way? This is since Klopp came to Liverpool in 2015.

Won
Premier League 1
Champions League 1
Carabao Cup 1
TheFa Cup 1
UEFA Super Cup 1
FIFA Club World Cup 1
That's not dominance, only because City and Guardiola stood in the way. Remove Guardiola from City and the trophy count for Pool would have gone up substantially. I wish we had managed to get Klopp. Then City would not have won so many league titles.

90 + 5min

That's not dominance, only because City and Guardiola stood in the way. Remove Guardiola from City and the trophy count for Pool would have gone up substantially. I wish we had managed to get Klopp. Then City would not have won so many league titles.
Same could be said about Chelsea and maybe Tottenham. Remove Guardiola and they would be winning more. Chelsea for example have 5-6 big trophies last 5 years.

MUW4Eva

Sadly you can't just remove a manager or a team.

The facts are Liverpool have not been dominant at all under Klopp on any tournament.
They have just made up the numbers mostly.

There is simply no dominance by them.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool will sink like a stone once Klopp leaves; perhaps not as horrid as 1990-2004 (I guess 2001 was decent), but they will become just another Top7 club if they sign the wrong manager.

City is the club that worries me; neverending money to sign the best players and hottest managers.
You underestimate the importance of the manager. City can still win the odd title without Guardiola but once he goes, they probably won't be winning four out of five titles on offer. People underestimate the importance of the manager. A club can have all the money in the world but put the wrong manager there and it won't work.

Green_Red

They'll dominate 2nd place again next season. They're the number 1 second best team in the world right now, no one can deny that. 2 second place finishes in the last 4 seasons... incredible stuff really.

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
Remove every team not named Liverpool from football history and Liverpool would have become the most dominant team in history.

Suedesi

it's quite amazing how such a good team might end up with just one PL, they've had three 90+ point seasons

City with Haaland will be very hard to beat now as well

I almost feel sorry for the cnuts
It just goes to show the quality of the Premier League is dross*

*Isn't that one of the scouse excuses when Fergie was winning?

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Obviously dominance is not an appropriate adjective.

To answer the question implicitly posed by the thread title without just coming back to "dominance," I think their peak is either over or maybe lasts one more year. The most likely scenario is that they then enter a period sort of like United between 2010-2013 where the manager, team system/culture, and residual talent are enough to have them competing for and winning trophies but they're not really near the same level as a few years previous due to world class players leaving or aging out of their primes.

Suedesi

Depends how you look at it. Its not the most successfull team this year (Real is), but they dominate pretty much every game they play though, and was really close to a quaddruple. They are really unlucky City being just as good, if not slightly better (debatable) Im sure it will be like that for a few more seasons.
The only reason Liverpool came close even got a sniff at the title is because City couldn't definitely close it out after being 8 or 9 points up by March. They kept dropping silly points against Spurs, Brighton, Soton, Palace and West Ham... matches that they typically win convincingly. But they were always on the driving seat.

Even, in the H2H matches, City were dominant and were unlucky not to come away with a win.

That's the PL - 2 domestic cups, won on penalties after 240 minutes of pretty much equality. They were lucky with Kepa fecking things in Carabao and Mount in the FA. A "fair" result would have been a cup each.

And in the CL, they were gifted a really easy path to the final. Villareal, Benfica, Inter are not quite Man City, Chelsea and PSG for example. Real Madrid didn't seem that bothered in the final, in fact they had a harder time in each of the knockouts than the final. Liverpool's press was ineffective and Real were able to play comfortably within the lines. Had it not been for a ridiculous VAR decision and some indecision in front of Alisson by Casemiro and Ceballos, it should have easily been 2-0.

IMO Liverpool overachieved this season and even that wasn't enough.

PS - if you're a LFC fan, no need to refer to them as "they". "We" should be fine

IRELANDUNITED

Stevie G?

Suedesi

We haven’t really dominated but we’ve been really good. Unfortunately ending what could have been a fantastic season in a disappointing way.

It does feel like something needs to happen to the squad this summer. Mane and Origi are both off and Salah will likely be gone for free in a year. Firmino might be looking elsewhere, too. At the same time Henderson’s not getting any younger and Keita has failed to make any meaningful impact (while also having just one year left on his contract).
That midfield has been Liverpool's weakness for a long time. They cannot break low blocks or dominate against high quality opponents. It's fine if your remit is to press like crazy and move the ball forward asap, but I feel like Liverpool lacks a plan B. Need more guile in the middle of the park. Basically more Thiagos and less Keitas

Suedesi

Come on, City and Liverpool have been dominating English football for five years. Hopefully it doesnt last much more and then they didnt manage to capatilize that much.
In those 5 years, United have finished second twice - so not sure how Liverpool have "dominated" English football.

City - yes, they have

Thelongsleevesofblomqvist

City have won 4 of 5 pl. It's very one sided
In those 5 years, United have finished second twice - so not sure how Liverpool have "dominated" English football.

City - yes, they have
Its not been onesided. 3 out of 5 seasons its been a two team rally were the two of them has been far ahead of the rest of the league breaking the standard number of points for both winning the league and coming second. The difference between the two of them has been less than to the rest of league. The two of them have showed a standard not seen before in the PL and pushed each other. At the same time Liverpool have reached 3 CL finals.

Kinda like United and Barcelona dominated Europe for a few years or United and Arsenal dominated English football the years around 2000.

But you know this, you just dont want to buy in to the hype. I dont either, but its not a strange question to ask when either of Liverpool or City will stop dominating English football. Hopefully soon, with a disapointing trophy cabinet for both (no CL for City). I think Liverpool are on their way down now, while City isnt.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Arsenal used to control every match under Wenger too. They never dominated though. There's no other way to look at it. You can't win 1 league and 1 CL and call it domination.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Dominance argument aside, I think while Klopp is there they will always be in the argument for contention for major honors just because he's proven to be probably the best in the world atm at getting the best out of what he is given personnel wise. But that being said, I do think this period they have had with the same core members is on its last leg and I'd be surprised to see them keep up the pace of consistency if only because it's very difficult to hit on that many transfers in a row in such a short amount of time. Salah, Mane, VVD, Robertson, Fabinho, Allisson within a few years is remarkable considering each has been world class (or close to it) for the time they've been there. Of recent signings, I think Konate and Diaz are golden but Keita was a waste and Thiago doesn't move the needle against bigger sides for me while Jota feels more like a Chicharito type player than another star in the making.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Its not been onesided. 3 out of 5 seasons its been a two team rally were the two of them has been far ahead of the rest of the league breaking the standard number of points for both winning the league and coming second.
Haven't we has just two title races? Where are you getting three from?

And it's amusing how enthralled some United fans are by liverpools points totals.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Dominance argument aside, I think while Klopp is there they will always be in the argument for contention for major honors just because he's proven to be probably the best in the world atm at getting the best out of what he is given personnel wise. But that being said, I do think this period they have had with the same core members is on its last leg and I'd be surprised to see them keep up the pace of consistency if only because it's very difficult to hit on that many transfers in a row in such a short amount of time. Salah, Mane, VVD, Robertson, Fabinho, Allisson within a few years is remarkable considering each has been world class (or close to it) for the time they've been there. Of recent signings, I think Konate and Diaz are golden but Keita was a waste and Thiago doesn't move the needle against bigger sides for me while Jota feels more like a Chicharito type player than another star in the making.
Good post and analysis of our recent signings. This is a very important summer for Klopp.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
It’s quite simple really. Klopp leaves and they appoint their version of Mikel Arteta and bingo - 8th place becomes a target and 6th becomes an achievement. Will happen sooner rather than later.

locixxx

In those five years they´ve won one CL against Spurs and one Premier League in postpponed season played behind closed doors.
Dominance

Steve Bruce

Its not been onesided. 3 out of 5 seasons its been a two team rally were the two of them has been far ahead of the rest of the league breaking the standard number of points for both winning the league and coming second. The difference between the two of them has been less than to the rest of league. The two of them have showed a standard not seen before in the PL and pushed each other. At the same time Liverpool have reached 3 CL finals.

Kinda like United and Barcelona dominated Europe for a few years or United and Arsenal dominated English football the years around 2000.

But you know this, you just dont want to buy in to the hype. I dont either, but its not a strange question to ask when either of Liverpool or City will stop dominating English football. Hopefully soon, with a disapointing trophy cabinet for both (no CL for City). I think Liverpool are on their way down now, while City isnt.
I disagree with pretty much all of this.

1) I never thought of an arsenal and United dominance. It was united dominance over the time. We won the double in 96, title in 97, arsenal won double in 98, treble for United in 99 and then won the PL the following 2 years. That's United dominance, not shared by arsenal. They had 1 successful season over that time. Being good competition doesn't make arsenal over that time dominant. Just like Liverpool today. Provide great competition but can't compare trophies on the table over the last 5 years.

2) The level shown by the two teams is at a level never seen before....... I disagree, more modern day hyperbolic crap. They're both top sides, but it also shows how poor the league is as well that these two teams can accumulate this amount of points over the last few years. But you also have to think this United side has been in the champions league for the last two seasons and finished 2nd in 21 season FFS, the league is crap right now. The standard of football across Europe is at its lowest point in decades. Certainly the lowest I ever remember it.

3) please don't tell me what I do or don't know. I have my own mind and won't be swayed by pundits etc into believing the crap they put out. Even if my opinion isn't a popular one, it is what it is.

4) I do think Liverpool will fall away sooner than city but it's much too soon to guess it'll happen any time soon. Bloody hope so though

TheLord

Arsenal used to control every match under Wenger too. They never dominated though. There's no other way to look at it. You can't win 1 league and 1 CL and call it domination.
And you forgot the asterisk *

Chripper

Personally, I miss the "three foreigner" rule that used to apply to European competitions. I found that with that rule in place it was fairer, it evened out the playing field and a super team couldn't come riding along and dominate.

I remember the first season of the Champions League (as it is now). Rangers got pipped to the final by Marseille (In subsequent years, there is evidence that Marseille bribed their way to the final.) That's how much of a horse race it was.

It would be interesting if the powers that be reintroduced it, but also to domestic football.

It won't happen, of course, but it's fun to imagine.

redsunited

You dont associate dominance to a team which cant win the league. Even if they win CL, they are not a dominant team but a cup team. Chelsea was not a dominant team when they won CL. Liverpool which did none of it, is an also ran.

MUW4Eva

Errrr......as for the part in bold......Don Carlo is better than Klopp, miles better at what you are suggesting there.
Heck I would even put Rafa ahead of Klopp.

Klopp is unbelievably overrated as a manager.

Skills

Snitch
Errrr......as for the part in bold......Don Carlo is better than Klopp, miles better at what you are suggesting there.
Heck I would even put Rafa ahead of Klopp.

Klopp is unbelievably overrated as a manager.
:lol:

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Enjoy the moment friends........
...............and let's keep laughing at Liverpool's PL and CL losses. :lol:

MUW4Eva

Rafa won the Champions League with a far worse team than Klopp has currently, plus what he achieved at Valencia.

So not sure how people can put Klopp ahead of Rafa.
Klopp is unbelievably overrated.

Sviken

They can't even win the league. What "dominance"? Might as well ask how long will Arsenal's dominance last...