How long will Liverpool's dominance last?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
We also won two trophies and will most likely compete again next season. Sure it's frustrating that this Liverpool team is playing in an era with Pep's City but there are worse positions to be in.

We've actually been fairly spoiled as fans under Klopp.
Your position is one United fans would kill to be in - this is obvious.

We can still claim - rightly - that Liverpool under Klopp have been hyped up to high heaven by parts of the media, and that you haven't actually "dominated" anything.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

We can still claim - rightly - that Liverpool under Klopp have been hyped up to high heaven by parts of the media, and that you haven't actually "dominated" anything.
Yeah I don't disagree with that. I think the media does massively over-hype Liverpool. I think they're desperate for someone to do something crazy like a treble or quadruple so they have something to go on about all summer.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

No one in the media is hyping him to high heavens. No one even began any quadruple discussions in the media or on Liverpool sites until way later.

The places you do/did see both of these things were among Utd fans and Utd websites. Way before anywhere else and way obsessively. The media and Liverpool fans joined the bandwagon(s) later.

There's a lot of introspection required among Utd fans. Hopefully, this will continue to remain at negligible for the foreseeable future while we quietly and merrily witness the boom bust cycles with the revolving door managers. Also something Liverpool were famed for.

Paul_Scholes18

They are the best side in the world. No other side has been closer to the Quadruble than this Liverpool side.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think they're desperate for someone to do something crazy like a treble or quadruple so they have something to go on about all summer.
Indeed - yes.

And it makes sense for them to hype up Liverpool - for the simple reason that Liverpool have a huge fan base.

Just as it makes sense for them to make the most of United being shite - because we too have a huge fan base.

If the fortunes of the two clubs had been reversed, we'd still have seen pretty much the same thing.

English (tabloid) journos don't actually play favourites (this is mostly a fan idea). What they do - and have always done - is to big up...and then tear down.

The moment you begin to genuinely struggle - and the moment we start to show actual, undeniable improvement - the narrative(s) will change: Liverpool in crisis, United on the rise - clicks, clicks, clicks.

Suedesi

Its not been onesided. 3 out of 5 seasons its been a two team rally were the two of them has been far ahead of the rest of the league breaking the standard number of points for both winning the league and coming second. The difference between the two of them has been less than to the rest of league. The two of them have showed a standard not seen before in the PL and pushed each other. At the same time Liverpool have reached 3 CL finals.

Kinda like United and Barcelona dominated Europe for a few years or United and Arsenal dominated English football the years around 2000.

But you know this, you just dont want to buy in to the hype. I dont either, but its not a strange question to ask when either of Liverpool or City will stop dominating English football. Hopefully soon, with a disapointing trophy cabinet for both (no CL for City). I think Liverpool are on their way down now, while City isnt.
I'm not buying this dominance. At the end of the day, they've won 1 title out of 5. Even if you remove City from the equation, they would have won 3, we would have won 2.

The points tally is as much a reflection on how dross the rest of the PL is (and I include United this season) - how else can a team not beat any of the top 4 contenders and still achieve record points

jimmyb2000

It will end when they find a cure for asthma and also rule out use of excessive caffeine as part of a training regime. These guys are bigger "legal" cheats than the Barca side from 09 to 15

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
It's already ending.

Klopp only has one way of playing.

Team is getting older.

Got to replace players that hit, players that were cheap, so doubtful it will happen again (Mane, Robertson, Salah) so don't believe building another squad will be easy.

Diaz, Jota slightly underwhelming

GoldanoGraham

Every cycle comes to an end.

If you dismiss the stupid pundits like Owen, Souness and Carragher who think that Klopp is the second coming of Christ - that he is a genius in the transfer market and that he is building a Warren Buffet style market dominance then it’s clear that he will not be able to replace what he has had with new parts - it just doesn’t work like that.

There have always been and always will be, teams that have a real purple patch when the whole becomes better than all the parts - as soon as you start to replace some of the parts then the whole changes.

As good a team that this Liverpool team have been, the history books won’t look back so favourably on them as they havent won what some believe that they should have.

Once the decline sets in its hard to stop it and to repair it. I firmly believe that this team have peaked and the cycle will need to restart again, just not from the low point that we are currently starting back from.

Only Fergie has a proven pedigree to rebuild over and over again.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
No one in the media is hyping him to high heavens. No one even began any quadruple discussions in the media or on Liverpool sites until way later.

The places you do/did see both of these things were among Utd fans and Utd websites. Way before anywhere else and way obsessively. The media and Liverpool fans joined the bandwagon(s) later.

MUW4Eva

There simply is no Liverpool dominance, the last time that there was, there was no Internet, and Germany was two separate countries, certainly not now in 2022.

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
They’ve been really dominant, for 20-30 years. Unbelievable that no one here can just admit the truth. There was a moment where I thought their dominance would end last year but Carlo left and went to Real Madrid. I don’t think Frank is a good enough manager to turn the tables, so I can see them being dominant for the foreseeable future.
:lol:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

There's a lot of introspection required among Utd fans. Hopefully, this will continue to remain at negligible for the foreseeable future while we quietly and merrily witness the boom bust cycles with the revolving door managers. Also something Liverpool were famed for.
Agree, you are only actually dominant in our fanbase's minds, which must be quite enjoyable for you lot.

I never thought you would get the quadruple, not for a second. I had a hard time buying United would get the Treble back in the day. That was arguably a more dominant side (domestically) and it still took some absolutely epic games and fortune twists to pull it off.

It was never happening, what I didn't expect was that you would actually be closer to ending up empty handed.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's already ending.

Klopp only has one way of playing.

Team is getting older.

Got to replace players that hit, players that were cheap, so doubtful it will happen again (Mane, Robertson, Salah) so don't believe building another squad will be easy.

Diaz, Jota slightly underwhelming
While their demise was hilariously (unfortunately!) prematurely predicted after last year's freak season, I would be slightly nervous if I were a pool fan.
Watching City fill their 1 huge weakness with potentially the best striker of the era.

Plus for a supposedly superbly managed club, they've allowed their fabled front 3 to all have deals expiring in 2023!
Mane already seems to be off, and Salah while clearly trying to pressurise Liverpool to break their wage structure is making alarming noises about being the next out. Very likely he'd go for free if no deal arranged this summer.

Diaz had a good impact but doesn't seem to me to be the type who'll match Mane's huge output over a season.

They won't have the chance to sell a Coutinho for an insanely bloated fee this time round to fund huge signings either.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
A few weeks ago seeing this thread title used to make me anxious/worried a bit. Nowadays it just elicits a hearty chuckle thanks to Stevie G's latest slip and Real Madrid. Dominance :lol:.They wouldn't dominate the PL if it was spread-eagled and hog tied in front of 'em :lol:

Last edited:

didz

Anyone saying they aren't dominating is insane.

Their biggest rivals have had a massive cash injection from the near east and splashed it on a series of big money players, probably flouting all kinds of FFP rules in the process. And those blues are really the only team in the same league as Liverpool and their football is way worse!

I mean seriously, who else is gonna challenge them? Tranmere Rovers? Would that even count since it's in the Wirral borough? So really you're just hoping that Lower Breck or South Liverpool FC can get into the EFL (which may never happen) and then have a meteoric rise from there!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Their biggest rivals have had a massive cash injection from the near east and splashed it on a series of big money players, probably flouting all kinds of FFP rules in the process. And those blues are really the only team in the same league as Liverpool and their football is way worse!

I mean seriously, who else is gonna challenge them? Tranmere Rovers? Would that even count since it's in the Wirral borough? So really you're just hoping that Lower Breck or South Liverpool FC can get into the EFL (which may never happen) and then have a meteoric rise from there!
This post is all over the place.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Loon

A lot of people thought they were done when they mounted the worst defence of a title in quite some time. City winning a third on the trott could be an ask. Not many teams have done it.

The dippers could bring in some incredible recruits...

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Trent was banging on about the quad after the League Cup win on pens so this idea that they didn’t have it in their mind early on is quite frankly bullshit.

Loon

Trent was banging on about the quad after the League Cup win on pens so this idea that they didn’t have it in their mind early on is quite frankly bullshit.

"Trent" is considerably far up himself, it has to be said.

That Tweet deserves a 2/4 ....AND HOLD IT RIGHT THERE, SON.

AmanNits04

Thank you for bringing some facts in this conversation where people think it's the rival fans that created all this hype about the quadruple