How long will Pep and Klopp stay at City and Liverpool?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Pep is to his own admission not a long, long term manager and according to a few sources last season's intense title race left him shattered.

Klopp's Liverpool is peaking right now but as we saw with Dortmund, his rock and roll style tends to have a shelf life eventually.

With both actually I think they stay till summer 2022. My prediction with Pep is next year City will truly peak and look absolutely formidable (not quite Barca in 2011 but not a million miles off) then the year after that someone (hopefully us but probably Liverpool) will put a great effort in and topple them which will lead to Pep taking another sabattical before heading onto a new challenge.

Klopp I feel will leave at a similar time, Salah and Mane will be entering their 30s and the style and intensity in which they play will mean they are quite susceptible a decline like we saw from Alexis and unlike City they can't/won't replace them off the bat. I'm not sure Jurgen will feel like another rebuilding process and like with Dortmund I feel he will decide the process has come to a natural end.

Quite a risky article though, this could be bumped in a few years to make me look very silly or a physic.

Last edited:

Guy Incognito

If Pep wins the CL, he'll be off.

If Klopp wins the PL this season, then probably stay on to defend it and then another two seasons tops.

ValenciaRocks

I think that if one was to leave before the other it would be Guardiola. Perhaps a challenge in Italy or France but it’s going to require a lot of money.

City will be throwing money at him until they get that CL trophy.

I’d say Guardiola will leave in 2 years. 2021

Klopp I think will be at Liverpool for quite a bit longer. Wild guess but I’m going to say until 2024...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Klopp has already bandied about a bit of talk of having a break fairly shortly.

It'd be a way of him leaving for another "project" without having to go directly from Liverpool.

Hopefully he leaves without winning the big one, and Pep goes too, just as we get our act together :wenger:

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Why leave and where do they go?

Pep has done everything except Juventus but City are better equipped and Klopp seems happy with a football project like Liverpool.

English clubs are doing well in Europe and the other big clubs aren't as dominant as they used to be because they can't sign all the best players (Pogba) or simply rely on a Messi or Ronaldo.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Why leave and where do they go?

Pep has done everything except Juventus but City are better equipped and Klopp seems happy with a football project like Liverpool.

English clubs are doing well in Europe and the other big clubs aren't as dominant as they used to be because they can't sign all the best players (Pogba) or simply rely on a Messi or Ronaldo.
Klopp would have almost every club in Europe chasing him and with Pep, everyone thought the only way was down after leaving Barca and while he hasn't won a CL again he has still gone onto create two more formidable teams.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Van Dijk, Firmino, Salah and Mané are all 27. Not sure he fancies a rebuild after them, so 3-4 years would be my guess. If Guardiola wins CL, he could be off.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Klopp has already bandied about a bit of talk of having a break fairly shortly.

It'd be a way of him leaving for another "project" without having to go directly from Liverpool.

Hopefully he leaves without winning the big one, and Pep goes too, just as we get our act together :wenger:
We're all hoping for something similar mate.

But it's the hope that kills. Been learning that recently.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think we’ve got another three seasons of Klopp then he’ll call it quits.

trailertrash

Supports
Bayern Munich
Pep probably after City gets the CL, so this or next season most likely(Juventus probably).
Klopp wants the league, but not sure he'll get it. Still gonna say 2021/2022 and he'll take over Germany next, maybe not immediately after Pool, but his next job is gonna be Germany's coach.

wr8_utd

:'(
I hope Pep doesn't go before Klopp goes. Them both going in the same summer would be ideal.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Van Dijk, Firmino, Salah and Mané are all 27. Not sure he fancies a rebuild after them, so 3-4 years would be my guess. If Guardiola wins CL, he could be off.
For some reason i thought Firminho was born in 95 :lol:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Who knows? I just think Pep will leave before Klopp, I wouldn't be surprised if he stays at Liverpool for longer than people expect.

Armchair Manager

Supports
Northampton
Not one guy here can predict whats gonna happen to liverpool and city in next 7 games. That is when they are most consistent teams in the league. None of us predicted arsenal will get schooled at anfield for that spurs will do a day light robbery at etihad. So i wonder what kind of crystal ball you possess? It is fair to say guardiola and klopp will leave in next 3-4 years, guardiola more likely to leave before klopp but i wonder how did you come to the conclusion that liverpool will go in decline? How you can say mane and salah will be even at liverpool in their 30s? How if liverpool sold them both for 300+ and bought mbappe for 250 while unearthing 2 more salah esque gems in 80 millions combined?

Also this "rock and roll" style football is old news, liverpool plays this style for only 10-20 mins a game whereas its city which plays at much higher intensity than liverpool. Look at city line up, from gk to forward all have one thing in common, speed and guardiola makes sure it gets used well.

Klopp has changed his style to what it used to be at dortmund. Infact liverpool managed to keep all their starting 11 relatively injury free while also wasting least money on injured player wages among top 6. That is when they had oxlade, lallana and gomez on treatment tables for whole of the season. Infact over the period of two years liverpool has been most fit team among top 6 (less injury strucken).

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Why wouldnt he fancy a rebuild? He can make some adjustments to the team and keep them competing plus build his own legacy at liverpool.
He seems very happy there to me unfortunately and could be there for the long hall as he is doing a great job there.

SaintMuppet

Some desperation creeping in here if you are concerned about what the ‘other guy’ is doing.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
I doubt either manager has any plans regarding their respective futures, so it's impossible for any of us to try & 2nd guess what plans they have. I think if one of them were to leave before the other, then it's possible the remaining one might stick around believing he might be able to build a dynasty, & a new dominant PL side.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I don't see Klopp going anywhere unfortunately. He seems to be madly in love with that city and their fans. Only a meltdown of Dortmund esque proportion might make him reconsider.

On Pep, I think he'll be at City until he sees out his contract.

Treble

Guardiola will stay longer at City than people expect. Some of his best friends are at the club and make sure he has what he needs. That wasn't the case at Barcelona and Bayern where he had disagreements with club bosses. Another reason to stay longer is that there is a lot of talented players at City who are expected to get better over the next years: from Ederson and Laporte through Rodry and Foden to Bernardo, Sterling and Jesus. Why someone else should reap the rewards from developing them?

K13

I suppose it depends how interested they are in building another team after their current successful one peaks. It is something I have not seen either do yet.

Some managers can do it as they have the ruthlessness to see when a player is finished and the appetite to rebuild again.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Why wouldnt he fancy a rebuild? He can make some adjustments to the team and keep them competing plus build his own legacy at liverpool.
He seems very happy there to me unfortunately and could be there for the long hall as he is doing a great job there.
It is just a guess. He is contracted until summer 2022. At that time he will have been here for 7 seasons, the same amount of time he was at Dortmund.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Pep to Juventus either at the end of this season or next I think.

Klopp is a bigger problem though - I think he’ll stay a long, long fecking time yet. I can’t see him being attracted to Real or Barca so a desire to return to Germany is our best hope.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Pep - 2021, Klopp - 2022

Last edited:

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Pep to Juventus either at the end of this season or next I think.

Klopp is a bigger problem though - I think he’ll stay a long, long fecking time yet. I can’t see him being attracted to Real or Barca so a desire to return to Germany is our best hope.
I think he has a great desire to manage the German national team one day. Hope he does it in 15 years time after he's stocked our trophy cabinet up.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Klopp has declined a few opportunities to sign a new deal taking him beyond 2022. Our owners love him quite rightly and they'll do e everything they can to get him to stay but ultimately it'll be up to him. I'll be gutted when he goes but if he decides to leave at the end of his contract, he'll leave with everyone's best wishes. He's transformed our club and got us back to the pinnacle of European football. If he leaves without a league title, we're not going to hold that against him. 2 years ago, if someone had said he'll win 97 points in a season and still not win the league, you'd have had them sectioned.
Great manager and I've enjoyed my best ever nights as a Liverpool fan with him in charge

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
The german NT job is pretty much Klopp's if he ever wants it and I think that might be one of the few offers that would interest him (eventually).

JMack1234

If Pep wins the CL he'll leave no doubt about it.

Pep is a genius but my god that man cares about his image and how he is perceived so he'll depart when he feels it'll make him look at his best. Even if they don't win the CL I think he'll be gone 2021 no doubt.

I can actually see Klopp hanging around Liverpool for longer than most think, I think we'll be talking about his 10th anniversary in 2025.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I think Klopp wants to stay long enough to be their "SAF". I just wonder where Klopp would afterwards? Barca, Bayern, Madrid, Juventus?