How many goals will McTominay score this season?

Nialinho

The expectations for McSauce on here are ridiculous, the same people raving about him will turn on him 4-5 weeks into the season :lol:

Bestietom

Would love to see him score 8/10 but I think that he could be restricted, by having to play as DM this season. A big ask for this young man.

Walters_19_MuFc

Not much. He had license to go forward yesterday because he played next to Matic. You'd expect him to have more of a reserved role against, what I assume will be his partner in Pogba

Im going with 6.

Judas

Open to offers
3-4. I like how people are backing this lad now, but seems like he's almost being built up to a crazy level that he can only fall short of, thus getting abuse.

Walli

He becomes an assist machine throughout the season and scores the goal that clinches 1st place and the league against west ham in gw 37!!

Listar

Putting in absolute numbers means guessing how many starts he gets as well.

I’ll say 1 goal on 5 full matches and I’m happy.

1 in 3 matches he will be a superstar.

1 in 2 matches we can sell Pogba matic and maybe the rest of the midfield

RedCurry

Don’t know but he is going to score when it matters. Either against bigger teams or when we are desperately searching for a goal.

PieCrust

The expectations for McSauce on here are ridiculous, the same people raving about him will turn on him 4-5 weeks into the season :lol:
That's what makes it fun.

On a serious note, it's a big season for him. Looks like he's going to get a ton of game time this season.

Renegade

People saying 6-8 Christ. That’s Pogba numbers without the pens. Don’t think Carrick even got close to those numbers in a season either. Some expectations of the lad.

He’ll be a pleasant surprise but hope not too much pressure on him. I’d be happy if he can grow into a Henderson/Milner type player for us. Would be nothing shameful with that.

3 goals all competitions I reckon.

Cman

Let’s hope he gets a lot of starts and continues on his upward trajectory.

norm87cro

Gonna go with 6 to 7 in all competitions. Was really gutted for him in the Wolves league loss last season because not only did he score but he played well too. He's teammates let him down that day

Havak

Pokemon master
I wouldn't expect more than five, as it's yet to be seen if he can nail down the place for the majority of the season. Also, it depends who we sign and what formation we use. If he is in more of a midfield two with Pogba, I would expect him to get forward much less than he has been doing in pre-season. If Matic plays a considerable amount of games as the defensive anchor in midfield, then McTominay might be tasked with a higher goals target. He can definitely strike a ball though, I think his shooting and finishing is quite underrated, but I see him as becoming more of a destroyer in the midfield rather than being expected to push for double digits in combined goals/assists.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Depends who we sign. No one: 14
Bruno/Dybala: 2

buckooo1978

I reckon 5/6

he might well end up in a deeper position in midfield

I think hes best in a box to box role

Marty1968

Should be aiming for 10 in all comps really. Sure he'll be involved in the Europa games as well as a lot of league games this season. Was really impressed with his work rate last year and Ole clearly trusts him over Fred/Matic. Has played really well in pre-season so hopefully that'll continue.

Renegade

Should be aiming for 10 in all comps really. Sure he'll be involved in the Europa games as well as a lot of league games this season. Was really impressed with his work rate last year and Ole clearly trusts him over Fred/Matic. Has played really well in pre-season so hopefully that'll continue.
Who was the last united midfielder to score 10 from centre midfield without taking set pieces? 10 is an outrageous demand for a centre midfielder with no history of being a goal scorer from midfield.

Thiagoal

Surprised at a few things in this thread:

1) He will definitely be a regular stater given his form at the end of last season and in this pre-season

2) He looks very dangerous going forward!

I’d say he should be aiming for 7-10 goals this season! Great player in the making

romufc

If 4/5 goals is a big expectation then you need a reality check.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
What about 7-10? From a player who's quite likely to have to play as a holding midfielder fairly regularly given the paucity of them in our squad.

romufc

What about 7-10? From a player who's quite likely to have to play as a holding midfielder fairly regularly given the paucity of them in our squad.
Well, we can barely get 7-10 goals / assist from our first choice CAM in Lingard so, I don't think we can expect that from a holding mid.

Personally, I think 3 goals will be doable.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
2. On the official fb/IG account of the club, they made a compilation of all his shot going wide but somehow titled the video as basically" McTominay played amazingly well"

Nialinho

I don't think I'm the guy who needs a reality check on McTominay :lol: I've read on here that he's a future captain, comparisons to Keane/Gerrard and that he's someone's new favorite player after a few decent performances last year and a good preseason :houllier:

I'm a fan, he looks like he's improving and I'm sure he'll contribute this season but come on he's never gonna score 7-10 (as some have said), I'd be surprised by 5 to be honest. If you look at players who play in a similar position/role in better teams than ours they didn't score 4-5 never mind 10 goals. I hope I'm wrong and he becomes a world beater, but for me he has potential to be a good squad option not to lead the team and be a key player.

Based Adnan

Mctominay pulled a couple body feints against Barca and became a cult figure here
Yeah that was it. Not the fact that he's been good in every single big game he's played for us and was among our best performers when everyone else turned to shit or his brilliant attitude. Nah it was the couple body feints vs Barca.

Stop talking rubbish

romufc

I don't think I'm the guy who needs a reality check on McTominay :lol: I've read on here that he's a future captain, comparisons to Keane/Gerrard and that he's someone's new favorite player after a few decent performances last year and a good preseason :houllier:

I'm a fan, he looks like he's improving and I'm sure he'll contribute this season but come on he's never gonna score 7-10 (as some have said), I'd be surprised by 5 to be honest. If you look at players who play in a similar position/role in better teams than ours they didn't score 4-5 never mind 10 goals. I hope I'm wrong and he becomes a world beater, but for me he has potential to be a good squad option not to lead the team and be a key player.

My mistake, I thought you were referring to 5/7 goals. I agree it is a bit pre-mature to talk captaincy when he hasnt started 10 games in a row to show consistency. We have players who look like world beaters one day and give them 10 games by the end of you wonder how they get into the team.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
How many CMs scored 5 goals? Especially the one who won't be regular player and doesn't take any set pieces?

In top 5 leagues, highest goals scored by a midfielder (CM/DM) is 7 goals, by Benassi who used to bomb forward a lot.

Only 11 CMs have scored 5 goals or more in top 5 leagues

grahamo

Zero. Zilch! None! They all look great in preseason same as they did last years preseason. Hes not good enough as are a lot of the present squad. I wont hold My breath while I wait for him to score a goal