How many of the kids will make it?

prateik

Rashford and McTominay are pretty much starters now..

We have seen Tuanzebe, Williams, Garner, Gomes, Chong and Greenwood all get minutes this season..

How many do we think can make it .. if not at United, then at least at the premier League level..

I think they all look promising... But surely we can't have so many players coming up together at the same time.. stuff like that doesn't happen..

Scholsey2004

Rashford, Tuanzebe,McTominay , Williams, greenwood, garner will make it at United I'm sure.

Levitt I like a lot but we'll have to see what the coaching staff thinks. I think at senior level he'd be competing for a role at CAM where we've also got Gomes and Mejbri coming through. I was excited about Gomes for a long time but he hasn't really developed physically as well as some others so there's a question mark there. Laird looks good but seems to have had a few injuries and is competing with wan Bissaka and dalot who are both young themselves so tricky. Chong I can see at palace playing like Bolasie used to. He's very good but we have plenty of players who do what he does better imo. There's a limit to what an out and out pace merchant can do playing for a side who typically face teams who play a low block against them I think.

Scholsey2004

I'd like to see Levitt get some games at CAM for us before we spend big on that position. McTominay and a DM, probably eventually Garner, in the other two spots so CAM's where we need to assess Levitt imo.

SteveW

Tuanzebe, Greenwood, Garner, Gomes, Williams and will all make it imo.

I think Laird has a great chance too if he stops getting injured so much.

First time in 20 years we've had more than 1 or 2 that I thought were good enough. Usually people are just hyping up average kids cos they play here. These lads genuinely look the part.

UpWithRivers

well if all you have to do to be a man utd and England regular is reach Lingard level they should all easily be prem footballers unless drink or injury takes them

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It is so difficult to accurately predict who'll make it out of all the youngsters you have at the moment, a few more loans would be interesting.

I would guess Tuanzebe is the only one I would actually gamble on making it, I think Greenwood could, but needs more time, I'd happily take him for a year at Brighton. Williams is definitely flavour of the month, but I don't think I've seen enough of him yet to predict.

But it's a brilliant position to be in to have so many possibilities.

TRUERED89

Not including McTerminator and Rashy then Probably; Tuanzebe, Williams and Greenwood! Maybe Gomes but he seems the least likely out of the rest

crossy1686

career ending
Rashford and McTomminay for sure.

Greenwood and Tuanzebe will most likely make it.

Williams should be a starter for me, Shaw should be backup at this point.

Haven’t seen enough of the other lads yet to know if they’ll make it or not but would like to see more of Gomes.

Pretty sure Chong won’t make it though.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Greenwood looks like he’s got what it takes to be a top forward and let’s hope that’s the case. Really rate this guy.

Tuanzebe looks like he’ll make it too. Certainly looks like he’ll have a good career, here or another premier league club.

McT looks good and if he can keep improving as he has this last 12 months then he could be in our midfield for years to come.

Rashford, I so want him to do the business, I remember watching him playing in the youth teams and thinking he was going to be a megastar for us. Not there yet and I can’t help but feel his peak isn’t going to be as high as I’d hoped but I do still hope. Great free kick though this week.

Brandon Williams is the one I’m currently hoping comes through, he’s got some genuinely nice stuff going on.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Being genuinely honest, if another two of those players make it to Rashford and McTominay level I will be impressed. Maybe add Tuunazebe to that list as he’s been a regular at a team playing high level football. For every McTominay who pushes on, there’s a Simpson, Possebon, Eagles or Macheda who doesn’t.

Interestingly, what was the name of that player that Tottenham got off us in a really convoluted way? And there was another right back around the time of Simpson who had a few promising games who I can’t remember.

davidmichael

Tuanzebe, Gomes, Greenwood, Garner and Williams will all still be here in five years time as either as regular first team players or squad players. Tuanzebe will be first choice back up to Maguire plus one at worst but I feel he’ll be Maguire’s long term partner at the back.

Williams is showing enough right now to oust Young from being a left back option whilst Garner will at worst be a back up midfielder. I think Gomes going forward will end up playing off the left side of a front three so he can drift inside and will be a squad player whilst I think we’re looking at older strikers as back up to Martial because the club fully expect Greenwood to be a first team striker within the next year or two.

I don’t think Chong will make it unless he accepts a role like Mata has right now, every time Chong has been given a chance this season he hasn’t looked anywhere near what we thought he would be. Obviously there’s O’Connor, Laird, Levitt and a few others too but they’ve not been in the first team year yet so we can’t assess their chances.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
For every McTominay who pushes on, there’s a Simpson, Possebon, Eagles or Macheda who doesn’t.
Simpson doesn’t belong in that list. Also we shouldn’t be getting carried away yet, what has McTominay made it to that Simpson didn’t?

Simpson made 30/38 league appearances on the way to winning the PL, the other 3 you listed have got nothing near that and neither has McTominay for that matter.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Being genuinely honest, if another two of those players make it to Rashford and McTominay level I will be impressed. Maybe add Tuunazebe to that list as he’s been a regular at a team playing high level football. For every McTominay who pushes on, there’s a Simpson, Possebon, Eagles or Macheda who doesn’t.

Interestingly, what was the name of that player that Tottenham got off us in a really convoluted way? And there was another right back around the time of Simpson who had a few promising games who I can’t remember.
Zeki Fryers, and the guy who sparked out Rooney, Phil Bardsley?

Raw

If I were to rank the most likely candidates to make it:

1. Tuanzebe. Already played plenty of top level games and has become a reliable player. There's still question marks over who to partner Maguire too so it's a perfect opportunity for him to seize.
2. Greenwood. Lethal striker with a lot of natural talent, he'll be a backup striker for us in the future at least.
3. Garner. Reads the game very well, if he can keep getting first team appearances he'll make it.
4. Williams. Started very well for us but it has only been a few games. Also like Tuanzebe there's question marks over LB so it's up to him to make that position his own.
5. Gomes. So much talent but still remains to be seen if he can cope with top level football. I hope he can, his potential is huge.
6. Chong. Honestly just don't see it with him so far, he needs a good loan.

There are still plenty others but they've yet to really get into the first team so I haven't included them.

Interestingly, what was the name of that player that Tottenham got off us in a really convoluted way?
Zeki Fryers. Currently playing for Swindon.

NWRed

Greenwood, Gomes and Garner almost definitely.

Williams and Tuanzebe most probably.

Chong possibly.

pacifictheme

If by make it you mean regular starter then mctominay and rashford have made it.

Out of the rest? Maybe williams, tuanzebe and garner if hes as good as people say. Not sure about the rest. Greenwood if luck is on his side.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Most likely to make it: Greenwood, Tuanzebe, Williams

In with a chance: Garner, Laird, Levitt

Have a bad feeling about and I don't know why: Gomes

Imo just not going to make it: Chong

Feel fickle as feck putting Williams in that category but he just looks destined for it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's difficult to tell because it all depends on their ablitiy to develop to the required level. As fringe players they could all maket it but it's a difficult position because you are the first to go when a better player arrives from an other club or the youth team. Just look at Borthwick Jackson.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Maybe a bit harsh from me but I can’t see Chong making it at United, or even in the EPL.

Gomes is a weird one. Seems technically good enough to make it but isn’t being given the chances (yet) - especially considering how weak we are in the positions he can play.

I’d like to think Tuanzebe & Greenwood are destined to make it - obviously along with McT & Rashford who both, presumably already has.

Williams and Garner I need to see more of. I remember CBJ looking pretty good initially as well. So difficult to say, but on the plus side for them, we’re sorely lacking depth in their positions (especially at FB if Young retires and Rojo is sold etc).

all guess work of course. Players develop differently.

Alabaster Codify7

Depends what you mean by 'make it', man. For me, playing regularly in the PL for any team is making it. But if you mean doing so for United, then that's a different story. Things can change rapidly and anything can happen, but gun to head, here are my takes on our current youngsters and what will happen with them in the next 2-3yrs:

Mason Greenwood - undecided. Needs a full season loan at a Championship club where he plays week in, week out.

Angel Gomes - sadly, I don't see it happening here. I predict he'll be abroad playing for the 2020/21 season onwards, probably joining a club of the level of say Valencia in the summer.

Axel Tuanzebe - yes. I think by the end of the season he'll be our established partner for Maguire. How long that lasts is a different story and depends on his progression.

Brandon Williams - yes. In fact, I actually think Brandon is in the most envious position of all our kids. Think about it - his competition at LB is an average-to-quite-good Luke Shaw who is ALWAYS injured and Ashley fecking Young. The iron will never be as scalding hot as it is right now for young Brandon - I hope he can grab it with both hands without getting burned.

Scott McTominay - yes with a clause. Any team with title-winning ambition would not have Scott as a mainstay in the 11. He's far too limited. 'Making it' for Scott will either be becoming the modern John O'Shea and spending 10yrs as a reliable, loyal, solid squaddie or joining the likes of Everton or West Ham by 2021 to be a first teamer.

Tahith Chong - no. I see Chong back in Holland next summer on loan, and that will become a permanent move the following summer. He doesn't have what it takes for me.

James Garner - undecided. See Greenwood, same situation.

Timothy Fosu-Mensah - no. Athlete, not a footballer. Loaned to the Championship in January, loaned abroad in the summer, sold the following summer.

Wittmann45

Really surprised to see people predicting so many youngsters to make it. For example, Williams seems to be the focus right now and very highly rated at the moment, but I wonder if he is any better than Bothwick-Jackson was when he debuted.

It was right around the time that Fosu-Mensah was seemingly nailed on to be a starter for 10 to 15 years. That being said, it was also the time period that Rashford got his debut so who knows

I think United would be lucky to get 1 or 2 youngsters from the current crop to make an impact. That's nothing against this current crop, its just more about how difficult it is to have so many youngsters hit all at the same time. Defenders always seem so difficult to predict as they mature as well. Also, I still have a feeling in the back of my mind that even someone like McTominay, who is in a really good run of form and may have technically "made it" may not be the solution either.

el3mel

Greenwood as a future starter.

Tuanzebe and Williams as squad options and bench players.

Gomes will probably leave and I am not convinced with Chong at all.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Really surprised to see people predicting so many youngsters to make it. For example, Williams seems to be the focus right now and very highly rated at the moment, but I wonder if he was any better than Bothwick-Jackson.

It was right around the time that Fosu-Mensah was seemingly nailed on to be a starter for 10 to 15 years. That being said, it was also the time period that Rashford got his debut so who knows

I think United would be lucky to get 1 or 2 youngsters from the current crop to make an impact. That's nothing against this current crop, its just more about how difficult it is to have so many youngsters hit all at the same time. Defenders always seem so difficult to predict as they mature as well. Also, I still have a feeling in the back of my mind that even someone like McTominay, who is in a really good run of form and may have technically "made it" may not be the solution either.
I generally use the most prolific academies among big clubs as reference. And from memory Ajax and Lyon who actually rely on their academies plan to integrate at best one academy player evey two years, someone that will actually contribute mid/long term. People are definitely too optimistic when it comes to this subject, the level of competition in professional football is way too high and the young players currently in the team will also develop, the likes of James, Wan Bissaka, Rashford, Martial and McTominay are the main obstacles for academy players.

ifightdragons

To be completely fair, many people are putting too much stock in our youngsters. Many of them won't struggle breaking into the current side, but the current side is not a top quality team.

If we want to get back to our glory days, we have to ask ourselves if all these youngsters have what it takes to make it as first-team regulars in a top continental side?
Greenwood seems to be quality, but to be honest, so did Welbeck when he was young. Look at him now.

The others are hit or miss. They could just as well end up in Everton or even the Championship. I like Williams though!

I hope I'm wrong and that all of them will be world-beaters in a great United team, but we have to be realistic. The hype at the moment is a bit much.
In my humble opinion, Dean Henderson is the most promising talent we have right now.

Last edited:

cyril C

Rashford and McTominay are pretty much starters now..

We have seen Tuanzebe, Williams, Garner, Gomes, Chong and Greenwood all get minutes this season..

How many do we think can make it .. if not at United, then at least at the premier League level..

I think they all look promising... But surely we can't have so many players coming up together at the same time.. stuff like that doesn't happen..
Apart from Williams, Gomes and Garner, all have more than a few games under their belt since last season. I think Greenwood would be a sure #3/4 striker, Tuanzebe doesn't have it, Chong is far from ready for EPL action. So perhaps Williams and Garner might get more chances this season and will see.

Raw

I think what will happen is that most of these youngsters will act as depth to signings we should hopefully make to get us back on top. Which of these players will actually step up and be a consistent first team player remains to be seen.

Greenwood will rotate with Martial/Rashford and perhaps a new reliable backup striker
Gomes with an attacking midfielder
Garner with another central/defensive midfielder
Tuanzebe with Lindelof
Williams with Shaw (unless Shaw keeps getting injured then another LB might be needed, but it's not priority)
Chong with a RW (though I don't really see Chong staying)

So a new striker, right winger, two or three midfielders and maybe a left back. That plus removing players like Matic, Young, Jones/Rojo should put our squad in a healthier state.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Garner, Greenwood, Williams, Tuanzebe and Laird.

Gomes is talented as hell and I hope he makes it, but with his size and amount of injuries already I dont think he will make it.

izec

Tuanzebe and Greenwood will be around here for quite some time.

Gomes will make it, but i am not sure he will make it here or elsewhere in the league. Ole/the coaching staff is reluctant to play him, but the guy has bags of talent. As said, not sure he is a PL type of player for most teams (you must have quite a bit of possession most games), but if he went to the Bundesliga or La Liga, it wouldnt take him long to make headlines.

Chong, Williams and Garner is too early for me to tell.

There will only be a certain number we can keep around, not only by probability of quality, but the ones that wont be happy with their squad role/reserve role, will want to move on. Quite a few will start and some will be useful squad players. The rest will hang around a while and try their luck somewhere else eventually.

dove

We would be lucky if 1 of them is a genuinely good player in 5 years time and is starting games for us (deservedly, unlike some others we had during the years like Lingard who are still here simply because they are ex youth).

Marcelinho87

Tuanzebe and maybe Greenwood.

We all thought Borthwick Jackson was great when LVG had him playing.. I see Williams going the same way. Gomes will leave because he doesn't get enough games and the rest will end up being not good enough.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Excluding Rashford and McTominay, perhaps one of the proper youngers will make it to first team quality, another one or two as squad. Just based on how many tend to make it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Greenwood and Tuanzebe will make it as starters IMO (more sure on Greenwood tbf, tuanzebe might stay as a squad player but signs are all good so far). Gomes will be an excellent player, just not sure if in the premier league. Chong will make a solid player but likely elsewhere. Garner I really haven't seen enough of, but likely scenario would be squad player for a bit before going to a mid table side eventually to play regularly. Williams looks decent, but many fullbacks do early on. Could be just squad player, could be going to lower teams to start regularly. Have my doubts about youngsters becoming regular starters unless they really show something extra, in their game that sets them apart. Gomes and Greenwood have that talent that can see them become top players. Tuanzebe looks potentially an excellent CB. Not sure anyone else has quite that potential.

Henderson looks an excellent goalkeeper, but we have De Gea, so he'll probably leave permanently.

Red_toad

Best look at the youngsters with the right mentality and work ethic.
McTommy is a great example of how good the Caf is at spotting talent. He was shite and Jose’ token at giving youth a chance as he tall not so long ago.

Stacks

Really surprised to see people predicting so many youngsters to make it. For example, Williams seems to be the focus right now and very highly rated at the moment, but I wonder if he is any better than Bothwick-Jackson was when he debuted.

We do it every time and all fans hype their youth and expect them to break through. It cannot be helped. Optimism > realism
I generally use the most prolific academies among big clubs as reference. And from memory Ajax and Lyon who actually rely on their academies plan to integrate at best one academy player evey two years, someone that will actually contribute mid/long term. People are definitely too optimistic when it comes to this subject, the level of competition in professional football is way too high and the young players currently in the team will also develop, the likes of James, Wan Bissaka, Rashford, Martial and McTominay are the main obstacles for academy players.
Agreed. At most 2 or 3 will break through over the next 5 years

Zlatattack

Who can say for sure? Adnan Januzaj looked like a sure bet at one stage. So did Anderson. Cleverly got loads of time for us. Jones was meant to be the English Baresi, or the next Duncan Edwards. How good did Macheda look when he scored a few goals!

Time will tell, we haven't seen enough of any of them to be sure, apart from Rashford and maybe by the end of next season McTomminay.