How many of the kids will make it?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Unless we're talking about absolute beasts (Giggs, Pogba, Scholes etc) then those who usually makes it are the ones the common Joe didn't rated. Hype is a big talent killer

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Rashford and McTominay are pretty much starters now..

We have seen Tuanzebe, Williams, Garner, Gomes, Chong and Greenwood all get minutes this season..

How many do we think can make it .. if not at United, then at least at the premier League level..

I think they all look promising... But surely we can't have so many players coming up together at the same time.. stuff like that doesn't happen..
Much as it pains me to say right now the only one I have any real confidence in in terms of a PL career (whether that's here or elsewhere) is Tuanzebe. It really is too early to say on the others. History says there's more chance of all of them being lower division players/never heard of again once they've left United than there is them being established PL players

GBBQ

Who can say for sure? Adnan Januzaj looked like a sure bet at one stage. So did Anderson. Cleverly got loads of time for us. Jones was meant to be the English Baresi, or the next Duncan Edwards. How good did Macheda look when he scored a few goals!

Time will tell, we haven't seen enough of any of them to be sure, apart from Rashford and maybe by the end of next season McTomminay.
Yeah exactly. Its fair to speculate but there needs to be the general talent to make it, a lucky break to get in the team and the desire of the player to keep learning and developing. i wouldn't write any of them off at this stage but neither would I have any of them nailed on to be future starters.

prateik

People mentioning Adnan need to remember, he has made it... Not at United. Not in the premier league, but he is playing for pretty good club in a top league.

Gopher Brown

I haven’t seen anything from Chong or Gomes to suggest they will make it.

To me Chong looks like a very limited player - not much trickery, not overly fast. Plus, there’s no real position for him in the team at the moment, so it’s hard to see where he can fit in.

Gopher Brown

Tuanzebe, Gomes, Greenwood, Garner and Williams will all still be here in five years time as either as regular first team players or squad players. Tuanzebe will be first choice back up to Maguire plus one at worst but I feel he’ll be Maguire’s long term partner at the back.

Williams is showing enough right now to oust Young from being a left back option whilst Garner will at worst be a back up midfielder. I think Gomes going forward will end up playing off the left side of a front three so he can drift inside and will be a squad player whilst I think we’re looking at older strikers as back up to Martial because the club fully expect Greenwood to be a first team striker within the next year or two.

I don’t think Chong will make it unless he accepts a role like Mata has right now, every time Chong has been given a chance this season he hasn’t looked anywhere near what we thought he would be. Obviously there’s O’Connor, Laird, Levitt and a few others too but they’ve not been in the first team year yet so we can’t assess their chances.
O’Connor has gone to Celtic so is unlikely to appear in the first team any time soon.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Williams - 9/10 chance - He only got Shaw and Young in front of him. I think he is already better than them, with some MOTM performances this season. He is ready.

Greenwood - 7/10 chance - He still need at least 2 years to challenge for first team spot. He is talented no doubt, but no way can he lead the attack as good as Martial in no.9 role yet, nor does he has the pace to hold down right side wing forward on his own. He is very young and still learning, we can all see glimpse of his talent.

Tuanzebe - 6/10 chance - This one is tricky because we need our CB to be very reliable, he can be good at times but may also prone to some bad mistake/error too. I mean, if Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Bailey are not good enough for us, its hard to be sure whether Tuanzebe can be better. But he can definitely become a decent squad player or backup.

Gomes - 5/10 chance - he really need to bulk up and improve his involvement in the game. Right now he got drifted out of the match too much too often, always looks tired and seems not ready for first team action yet. He is talented though, I believe he has good ball control and plays really well in tight space.

Chong - 3/10 chance - don't think he can make it here. He always looks nervous and raw to me, a headless chicken, don't think he could offer us anything unless he improves drastically.

Garner - 5/10 chance - no idea how good he is. He could be the next Carrick or the next Cleverley or even the next Gibson. Its really hard to tell. Not really sure about his haircut too. Looks good in youth squad though, lets see.

Hannibal - 6/10 chance - one of the most talented teenage midfielder from France, his style of play is actually what we need, looks combative and talented at U18/U23 level already, he may replace Fred in 2 years time, I think.

Last edited:

A-man

Williams and Greenwood The have played too few matches too be certain about their future, but they are the only ones who have shown top qualities imo. Think both can become not only United starters but also super players. Great potential.

Garner, has not impressed on me but has not been bad. I have seen too little of him plus he is not developed enough.

Chong and Gomes, not seen anything that has impressed on me and it looks as they are far from ready.

Tuanzebe, (age 23 so maybe not a kid anymore...) has shown he can play PL level but not really impressed on me so far. It is also much more difficult for a CB than a forward to become given as starter or to get minutes. A forward can play two good games and one bad, but a CB should rarely have a really bad game.

UpWithRivers

Be nice just once if we could get to at least the 2nd page of a thread on what is an interesting topic before the fecking stupid comments start, well done.
It was being nice. I was saying they all look more talented than lingard (or at least as much talent) and he is a Man Utd and England regular. So they have a high chance of being at least prem footballers.

thepolice123

Really surprised to see people predicting so many youngsters to make it. For example, Williams seems to be the focus right now and very highly rated at the moment, but I wonder if he is any better than Bothwick-Jackson was when he debuted.

It was right around the time that Fosu-Mensah was seemingly nailed on to be a starter for 10 to 15 years. That being said, it was also the time period that Rashford got his debut so who knows

I think United would be lucky to get 1 or 2 youngsters from the current crop to make an impact. That's nothing against this current crop, its just more about how difficult it is to have so many youngsters hit all at the same time. Defenders always seem so difficult to predict as they mature as well. Also, I still have a feeling in the back of my mind that even someone like McTominay, who is in a really good run of form and may have technically "made it" may not be the solution either.
Exactly. It is very hard to tell with just a couple of games. Even someone like Januzaj took us two seasons to finally realise that he is just not that good enough.

Robbie Boy

People mentioning Adnan need to remember, he has made it... Not at United. Not in the premier league, but he is playing for pretty good club in a top league.
Sitting on the bench for Sociedad is a far cry from what people thought he would initially become, though.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If you take into account competition for positions and whatnot the best bets would probably be Williams, although I do suspect we'll go for another LB sooner rather than later. Garner and Gomes because currently they have no one decent in their preferred roles, again their chances would diminish if we signed better quality midfielders. If we're talking Greenwood as a striker then things might not be so rosy for him, especially with the fresh links to Haaland which would leave him behind Martial and Haaland as the two young strikers, if we don't sign another striker he'll have a good chance. Due to his two-footed prowess he's got a good shot of making it as an inside forward for us if he fancies that role. Tuanzebe's probably one of the most likely players, he's got the tidiness on the ball and the physicality his competition sorely lacks. Chong needs to bulk up if he wants to have a chance here, physicality is such a big part of the PL.

There are some very good U23s still yet to have a proper first team debuts, Levitt, Ramazani, Laird and Mengi some of the more notable ones. Ramazani is one that a few months ago I would've thought had no chance but he's come on leaps and bounds and we're sorely lacking wingers so you never know really.

There's also this year's batch of U18s to consider, there are some quality players in there too. Mejbri and Elanga the early standouts, not to mention there's some lads we've still got to see properly like Mejia.

MrSingh2002

Tuanzebe, Greenwood and a possibility of Williams as I feel he could be more comfortable on the ball. Williams has the determination it seems at his age but let's see how he develops.

Chong doesn't play with any maturity yet and Gomes as much as I like him doesn't seem to have had enough of an impact yet in the full side. Gomes will need to grasp the next couple of opportunities he gets ir risk being left behind the rest.

fps

It’s big of anyone to say with confidence Garner and Williams will make it. Those two very difficult positions where you have to be incredibly complete and also very physical, and while they are promising there is a tonne that needs to be added physically and tactically, not all of which can be coached.

Last edited:

Son

Williams - 9/10 chance - He only got Shaw and Young in front of him. I think he is already better than them, with some MOTM performances this season. He is ready.

Greenwood - 7/10 chance - He still need at least 2 years to challenge for first team spot. He is talented no doubt, but no way can he lead the attack as good as Martial in no.9 role yet, nor does he has the pace to hold down right side wing forward on his own. He is very young and still learning, we can all see glimpse of his talent.

Tuanzebe - 6/10 chance - This one is tricky because we need our CB to be very reliable, he can be good at times but may also prone to some bad mistake/error too. I mean, if Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Bailey are not good enough for us, its hard to be sure whether Tuanzebe can be better. But he can definitely become a decent squad player or backup.

Gomes - 5/10 chance - he really need to bulk up and improve his involvement in the game. Right now he got drifted out of the match too much too often, always looks tired and seems not ready for first team action yet. He is talented though, I believe he has good ball control and plays really well in tight space.

Chong - 3/10 chance - don't think he can make it here. He always looks nervous and raw to me, a headless chicken, don't think he could offer us anything unless he improves drastically.

Garner - 5/10 chance - no idea how good he is. He could be the next Carrick or the next Cleverley or even the next Gibson. Its really hard to tell. Not really sure about his haircut too. Looks good in youth squad though, lets see.

Hannibal - 6/10 chance - one of the most talented teenage midfielder from France, his style of play is actually what we need, looks combative and talented at U18/U23 level already, he may replace Fred in 2 years time, I think.
I agree with most of these but Greenwood and Tuanzebe have gotta be the top 2.

Williams I assume will be a great pro for us no doubt but he's not at the level of those two talent or physicality wise. I'm not worried about any of those 3 though they'll all make it at our club. Garner too possibly, his style seems to fit our side going forward since we could do with a playmaker.

Angel Gomez I am slightly worried about. He just hasn't improved the way we thought he would. Looks like he has world class ability but I just don't understand how he will ever be succesful at our club with his style of play. I hope I'm proved wrong. Chong I doubt will ever make it at the top level with us but could turn out to be a steal for a buying club down the line imo. Wingers can sometimes explode onto the scene out of seeminly nowhere if given game time.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I agree with most of these but Greenwood and Tuanzebe have gotta be the top 2.

Williams I assume will be a great pro for us no doubt but he's not at the level of those two talent or physicality wise. I'm not worried about any of those 3 though they'll all make it at our club. Garner too possibly, his style seems to fit our side going forward since we could do with a playmaker.

Angel Gomez I am slightly worried about. He just hasn't improved the way we thought he would. Looks like he has world class ability but I just don't understand how he will ever be succesful at our club with his style of play. I hope I'm proved wrong. Chong I doubt will ever make it at the top level with us but could turn out to be a steal for a buying club down the line imo. Wingers can sometimes explode onto the scene out of seeminly nowhere if given game time.
I didn't rate Greenwood and Tuanzebe as our top 2 chance of making it here, mainly because CF and CB are 2 of the most difficult position for youngster to break into, especially club at our size, it takes alot of things to consider. Lukaku, who has cost us 80m with big reputation/experience in the league, hardly find it easy playing no.9 role here. Rashford, on 200k+ weekly salary, get alot of bashing this season in no.9 role too. A young inexperienced player who has just turn 18, I don't think its easy for him, at least not within the next 2 years. Then again we will be tempted to buy some top class players elsewhere. Tuanzebe, as explained above, is in similar situation. But sure, in terms of pure talents/development, maybe they are the top 2 from our academy.

Williams is no.1 simply because he has already performed better than Young/Shaw this season, and there's no reason he can't make it here. He fits in perfectly.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
It was being nice. I was saying they all look more talented than lingard (or at least as much talent) and he is a Man Utd and England regular. So they have a high chance of being at least prem footballers.
Yeah that's right up there with going up to somebody, pouring petrol over them, setting them alight, then pissing on them to put out the flames and thinking you were being nice by putting the fire out. :lol:

Class of 63

Sourness
Don't know what the current ratio is but the amount of homegrown players needed/required in each PL squad is only going in one direction so there is a chance more kids will make it than say 5/10 years ago, not sure if that is a good thing, or a bad thing.

Skills

Snitch
2 at most. That would be a great return for the academy with Rashford, McTominay + 2 more making it as first team squad regulars in just 3-4 years.

meamth

Depends what you mean by 'make it', man. For me, playing regularly in the PL for any team is making it. But if you mean doing so for United, then that's a different story. Things can change rapidly and anything can happen, but gun to head, here are my takes on our current youngsters and what will happen with them in the next 2-3yrs:

Mason Greenwood - undecided. Needs a full season loan at a Championship club where he plays week in, week out.

Angel Gomes - sadly, I don't see it happening here. I predict he'll be abroad playing for the 2020/21 season onwards, probably joining a club of the level of say Valencia in the summer.

Axel Tuanzebe - yes. I think by the end of the season he'll be our established partner for Maguire. How long that lasts is a different story and depends on his progression.

Brandon Williams - yes. In fact, I actually think Brandon is in the most envious position of all our kids. Think about it - his competition at LB is an average-to-quite-good Luke Shaw who is ALWAYS injured and Ashley fecking Young. The iron will never be as scalding hot as it is right now for young Brandon - I hope he can grab it with both hands without getting burned.

Scott McTominay - yes with a clause. Any team with title-winning ambition would not have Scott as a mainstay in the 11. He's far too limited. 'Making it' for Scott will either be becoming the modern John O'Shea and spending 10yrs as a reliable, loyal, solid squaddie or joining the likes of Everton or West Ham by 2021 to be a first teamer.

Tahith Chong - no. I see Chong back in Holland next summer on loan, and that will become a permanent move the following summer. He doesn't have what it takes for me.

James Garner - undecided. See Greenwood, same situation.

Timothy Fosu-Mensah - no. Athlete, not a footballer. Loaned to the Championship in January, loaned abroad in the summer, sold the following summer.
Stopped reading at Mctominay is limited.

You sir, have limited footballing brain. It's fair to say that to people who says limited to others.

Sea-Cow

Everyone is really high on Williams right now, but aren't you all concerned that he is right-footed? I think logic would dictate that he has a better chance of making it in the game as a RB, but he will have AWB as a large obstacle here in that position. I think the absolute best we could hope for is for him to provide adequate cover at both fullback positions.

Class of 63

Sourness
Everyone is really high on Williams right now, but aren't you all concerned that he is right-footed? I think logic would dictate that he has a better chance of making it in the game as a RB, but he will have AWB as a large obstacle here in that position. I think the absolute best we could hope for is for him to provide adequate cover at both fullback positions.
Why, we've a long history of right-footed LB's including Denis Irwin, Phil Neville, Clayton Blackmore and Lee Martin, and West Germany's most successful sides always had right-footers playing at left-back.

Sea-Cow

Why, we've a long history of right-footed LB's including Denis Irwin, Phil Neville, Clayton Blackmore and Lee Martin, and West Germany's most successful sides always had right-footers playing at left-back.
Fair enough, but we can admit that the current squad is quite a bit far off from the squad that included those players. I think that might go a long way in nullifying any drop off from having a right-footer at LB.

And I think that having attacking fullbacks is so important in today's game, and you need to have a fullback who can successfully overlap down the outside. If he is constantly having to cut back on to his right, or simply delivering poor crosses with his weaker foot, that will make things way more difficult.

Alabaster Codify7

Stopped reading at Mctominay is limited.

You sir, have limited footballing brain. It's fair to say that to people who says limited to others.
So you'll see nothing unfair about me saying your brain is limited then.

Another of the McTominay cult I see. I'm back to the fence throwing counter hooks at you lot all day all night and I'm loving it. You're a bizarre cult built around a bang average Scottish youngster and I'm gonna take great pleasure in seeing your bizarre dreams fizzle out by 2021.

Class of 63

Sourness
Fair enough, but we can admit that the current squad is quite a bit far off from the squad that included those players. I think that might go a long way in nullifying any drop off from having a right-footer at LB.

And I think that having attacking fullbacks is so important in today's game, and you need to have a fullback who can successfully overlap down the outside. If he is constantly having to cut back on to his right, or simply delivering poor crosses with his weaker foot, that will make things way more difficult.
Brandon has proved at youth level he is good enough to get to the byline and put quality crosses in with his left-foot, so he's no problem on that score.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
The only one I'd write off as a definite no is Chong.

The rest have a chance.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018

Another of the McTominay cult I see. I'm back to the fence throwing counter hooks at you lot all day all night and I'm loving it. You're a bizarre cult built around a bang average Scottish youngster and I'm gonna take great pleasure in seeing your bizarre dreams fizzle out by 2021.
Weird. What sort of United fan would take such gleeful pleasure in seeing a promising home grown talent fail? Or indeed take such little pleasure in such a player thriving?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Haven’t seen much of Gomes at all, but have read lots of hype on here from posters who know their stuff on youth football.

So the only thing I’ll say is perhaps he will develop like Scholes, Lingard, Deli Ali, Vardy etc. Or even McT, Fletcher
ie: he won’t have his ‘breakthrough’ til he’s bigger and stronger so perhaps at age 21/22.

And if that happens, that’s fine. Very few youngsters make it big into men’s football when in their teens, and our club structure should allow for the normal developers to ‘make it’ on their own natural timetable.

Of course they also have to buy into that plan and not move when they get frustrated at lack of opportunities.

lysglimt

Scout
Much as it pains me to say right now the only one I have any real confidence in in terms of a PL career (whether that's here or elsewhere) is Tuanzebe. It really is too early to say on the others. History says there's more chance of all of them being lower division players/never heard of again once they've left United than there is them being established PL players
Can't agree with you on this one - I will consider Garner, Laird, Williams, Greenwood, Gomes and Chong as talented or more - than several of our youngsters over the last 10 years who ended up as established players in the Championship or the P.L

Like Danny Simpson, Danny Drinkwater, Matt James, Josh King, Ryan Shawcross, Tom Cleverley, Fraizer Campbell, Craig Cathcart or Robbie Brady.

Will all of them succeed ? Of course not. But in my opinion - this generation is special. I can easily name 10 players with a decent chance of making it at United. And I am convinced that in 2 years time - about half of them will be established in the first-team squad. But they need a bit of luck. They need a manager who believes in them and gives them chances. If we were to sack OGS now, we might get a new manager who buys more experienced players and leaves the youngsters out. They could have problems with injuries - or they could be in a position where they are up against too good players at the first-team.

Keepers: Henderson is already close to top-class but wont make it at United because of DDG. Matej Kovar also has taken huge steps, but faces the same problem as Henderson

Defence: I consider Tuanzebe as practically already having made it so I leave him out. If OGS trusts him enough to send Smalling packing, he is convinced that Tuanzebe belongs in the squad.

Williams I believe in - he has the mentality and aggression to fit with OGS' playing-style. And he is up against Shaw who is injured a lot. Ethan Laird is perhaps even more talented but struggles with injuries and has a much tougher opponent in AWB. So he is more uncertain.
Mengi might also be a future possibility - but he is too young and raw, so for now I only consider Williams and Laird

Midfield: Mejbri, Galbraith, Garner, Gomes and Levitt are the most obvious choices - and they all have a chance. Garner I just can't see not being in the United-squad in 2 years time. But if we sign 2 new midfielders either now in january or in the summer - there is probably only room for a couple of these players,3 at best.

Attack: Greenwood should make it unless he gets injured. He is simply too good not to. Chong has a chance and Elanga is exciting. But realistically there isn't room for too many players.

So I am most convinced about Greenwood, Garner and Williams - but there are 6-7 others with a good chance, even if ther probably isnt't room for more than half at best.

thepolice123

Greenwood - Macheda
Garner - Possebon
Gomes - Januzaj
Williams - CBJ
Tuanzebe - Blackett

TrustInOle

Scott, Tuanzebe, Rashford and Garner, I am sure will make it. So impressed with Garner in recent years and cant wait for him to show his class around the first team.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Most likely to make it: Greenwood, Tuanzebe, Williams

In with a chance: Garner, Laird, Levitt

Have a bad feeling about and I don't know why: Gomes

Imo just not going to make it: Chong

Feel fickle as feck putting Williams in that category but he just looks destined for it.
This matches my thoughts fairly closely except I would not be quite so bold about Greenwood and am not ready to write Chong off so completely.

In Rainbows

Sitting on the bench for Sociedad is a far cry from what people thought he would initially become, though.
But he has made it. Odegaard is doing really well right now so it's no shame in losing to him. Last season he was very productive for them, but injuries kept him off. This season, he needs to get back to last season's effectiveness and Sociedad would be more dangerous.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

I agree with this.

meamth

You're stupidly shaming yourself here.

What kind of an average football player who can climb the ranks of United from the bottom and ended up playing regularly for one of the world's biggest club???

If you're that good analyzing averageness, you should fecking be in one of those clubs, denying talents to the top.

Those people who devoted their time nurturing talents believed Mctofeckingminay is going to conquer the world, but here we are at caf discussing who is more stupid.

You are mate. Get on mate, and I can assure you 90% of people are with me here.

You are 10% of the weirdos.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I've got Garner as most likely to succeed. He's a rare commodity in today's game of being able to control the tempo of a game effortlessly, albeit we're yet to see it at the level of the first team. His football iq will ensure he succeeds though I feel.

In Rainbows

My favorites are Gomes, Garner, and Greenwood. Impossible to know if they'll make it, but they're up there with the best we've produced at youth level. Doesn't mean squat for the men's game as McTominay has proven to us. We never know who will rise out of the youngsters and which will fade away, no matter the difference at youth level.

Only thing I'll say is that I hope Gomes is given a proper try with us, and that includes also playing him in the pivot role. I would consider it a waste if he's only tried as an attacker. Even LVG tried Januzaj out in midfield in order to try and find him a spot in the team.